Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[BREAKING] - Florida State announces it will form committee to explore options

Started by Doug, September 13, 2011, 06:29:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hornkiller

Quote from: FayettenamSam on September 13, 2011, 09:18:24 pm
http://www.omaha.com/article/20091205/BIGRED/712069849

Great recap of the events.

Well Tom didn't like it when they said that the Big XII title game would be played for a span of years in Jerry's World. He never had a problem when was held for a few years straight at Arrowhead, just a hop away for Husker fans.

Hoggish1

I hear what you say Douglas and I'm sure you have great sources, but why would FSU join the SEC?

Is the ACC going to dissolve?

Hogustus Caesar

Quote from: Hornkiller on September 13, 2011, 09:22:30 pm
Well Tom didn't like it when they said that the Big XII title game would be played for a span of years in Jerry's World. He never had a problem when was held for a few years straight at Arrowhead, just a hop away for Husker fans.

I wonder how the rest of the SEC would feel if we rotated the SEC Championship game with Jerry's stadium instead of always playing in Atlanta?
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

Hoggish1

Quote from: nutted on September 13, 2011, 06:46:23 pm
They will expand for FSU....Clemson never had a chance.....same for GATech....Florida doesn't feel threatened by FSU...UF plays them every year and feels their program is self sustaining and can handle FSU being in the same conferenc.....not the same for the two other ACC teams.

Things are spinning and changing......VaTech isnt coming....FSU is.

FL wil be FSU's biotch for many years to come.

Lake City Hog

Douglas, I will go for everything that you have laid out except for the 9/3 instead of 8/4 on the conference games. That would mean that every other year every school would lose a home game. That would cost each school a lot of revenue, 8/4 gives all of the schools equal home games, a 4th OOC game for revenue and the flexibility to really play with the schedule.

NWASooner

Quote from: Hornkiller on September 13, 2011, 09:22:30 pm

Correct.

The football title game was held in Kansas City for a few consecutive years because of the basketball tournament moving to OKC and Dallas.  (Kemper Arena was inadequate.)

Dr. Tom was fine with the football arrangement until it moved to Dallas.  Nebraska became very whiny in the years they weren't winning anything.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Hoggy Hogalot on September 13, 2011, 06:35:11 pm
I would like to see FSU in the SEC east.

I'm guessing that Florida isn't looking forward to the possibility of having FSU, Bama, and Auburn in the same division.

Well...If two are added in each division, the Bama/Auburn move won't be necessary.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

texas tush hog

Lake City Hog

I read somewhere, probably here that Arizona and Arizona State are against Oklahoma being invited. They see the writing on the wall, OU, OSU, Colorado, Texas Tech, Arizona and Arizona State as the Pac 16 East. In order to win their division they have to beat OU? Their response? Ugh, No Thanks!!

dooley

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on September 13, 2011, 10:11:44 pm
I'm guessing that Florida isn't looking forward to the possibility of having FSU, Bama, and Auburn in the same division.

Well...If two are added in each division, the Bama/Auburn move won't be necessary.

They won't in a 16-team league.  Besides, they already play FSU every year.  It's like adding aTm in the West.  So what?  We already play them every year.  Our schedule doesn't change.

Doug

Quote from: HornkillerSo Douglas... it seems the only question is who is going to knock over the dominoes? Will it be?

OU announcing their leaving the Big XII? (opening the door for A&M)
BYU turning down an offer publically to join the Big XII?
Another BIG NAME Big XII team announcing their going to leave? (say Missouri?)

Florida State by going by opening their options?
Another ACC team announcing their going to open their options? (V-Tech)
Will a conference take the lead by going after teams?
The three bolded (and the one underlined) items are what will trigger the rest of the shakeups. The "BIG NAME" schools in this case would be Texas and/or Missouri.  We pretty much know OU/OSU are gone.  BYU deal is dead if OU leaves.

Quote from: HornkillerAlso any word on the contingency plans for the B1G and ACC once things start rolling? I mean we all know that the B1G will add "extra sugar on top" to their Please Please Notre Dame. But who else is in the mix and what will happen to all the stragglers left behind?
If you take a look at the Super Conference post I made (done on both Hogville and GH), pay attention to the PAC 16, Big 16 (that's B1G renamed), SEC and ACC.  C-USA may not expand, but if they want to become an AQ conference, they will need to Super themselves.

Quote from: Hoggish1I hear what you say Douglas and I'm sure you have great sources, but why would FSU join the SEC?  Is the ACC going to dissolve?
FSU is ready to move the next level (the ACC is a pretty solid FB conference, but a stronger Basketball conference).  FSU is first and foremost a football school.  The SEC is a very strong FB conference and a pretty solid Basketball conference.  ACC isn't going anywhere: They're going to raind more Big East teams. :)

Quote from: lchogDouglas, I will go for everything that you have laid out except for the 9/3 instead of 8/4 on the conference games. That would mean that every other year every school would lose a home game. That would cost each school a lot of revenue, 8/4 gives all of the schools equal home games, a 4th OOC game for revenue and the flexibility to really play with the schedule.
Actually, this is easily remediable via a Neutral Site game (TAMU vs Hogs @ Jerry World, for example). Equal revenue distribution that way.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

RazorBassin

Ready for this to start happening!  :razorback:

RazorBassin

Quote from: Douglas on September 13, 2011, 08:49:00 PM
QuoteNil.  The only way Super Conferences work is when there's multiples of 4 so you can have everything balanced out correctly.  Baseball and Football are good analogies to this (think in terms of AFTER regular season).
Again, let me reiterate the expected expansion (even though it's in each of the posts I've linked to already):
#14: West Virginia
#15: Mizzou (if they don't shot themselves in the foot) *
#16: Florida State *

* = These two could be flipped, but they'll be announced together.

Douglas, thanks for your reply.  I understand you had linked to sites saying it would be 16.  Just thought that is OU and OSU go to PAC ?? and Texas  stays indy, tech gets left out that leaves the PAC 14.  I know I have heard rumblings of the SEC not being in a hurry to get to 14, 15 or 16.  Apparently your sources are pretty strong we are going to 16 so that is good enough for me.  Thanks!

razorback3072

Quote from: FayettenamSam on September 13, 2011, 09:26:58 pm
I wonder how the rest of the SEC would feel if we rotated the SEC Championship game with Jerry's stadium instead of always playing in Atlanta?

why not rotate it to the Superdome? 

It won't happen though because Atlanta is half the distance from the SEC offices that NOLA is.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

Hornkiller

Quote from: razorback3072 on September 14, 2011, 08:58:04 am

It won't happen though because Atlanta is half the distance from the SEC offices that NOLA is.

Probably the thinking is if it isn't broke don't fix it. If you do everyone is going to get pissed if they don't get their way or use it as an excuse when they lose.

The Big XII CCG was supposed to swing between a North host (Arrowhead, The Dome in St. Louis) and South (old Cowboy Staduim, Reliant in Houston, Alamo Dome in San Anitonio) but when basketall was lured by the new NBA arenas in Dallas and OKC football compenstated with Arrowhead, which was probably the most central location. When Jerry opened his new place the Big XII jumped to play there.

josh_sec33

Can we make sure that we play FSU every year in baseball?

Guaranteed series win every year. :) (in all seriousness, I mean this. I have friends in Florida who follow FSU baseball and every year they pray to NOT be matched up against Arkansas in a potential super regional matchup.)
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

nole10591

Quote from: nutted on September 13, 2011, 06:46:23 pm
They will expand for FSU....Clemson never had a chance.....same for GATech....Florida doesn't feel threatened by FSU...UF plays them every year and feels their program is self sustaining and can handle FSU being in the same conferenc.....not the same for the two other ACC teams.

Things are spinning and changing......VaTech isnt coming....FSU is.
I beg to differ BLUTO.. UF does feel threatened . They can no longer use we are in the SEC and their not to recruits.. Now keep in mind JIMBO has been kicking their butt in recruiting the last 2yrs..
So long lost DECADE !!!

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: dooley on September 13, 2011, 10:42:28 pm
They won't in a 16-team league.  Besides, they already play FSU every year.  It's like adding aTm in the West.  So what?  We already play them every year.  Our schedule doesn't change.

Some prognostications had us adding as many as 4 teams to the West, which would have necessitated somebody move to the East. My struck through comment merely opined  that Florida would probably be none too happy about playing FSU, Bama, and Auburn, in conference, in the same division. I agree that with the current projections, nothing really changes.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 13, 2011, 08:42:48 pm
Where have you been?? It's been all over sports talk shows the last few months. Even the Sports talk guy in Birmingham mentioned it on Bo's show a time or 2.

Well, if they are talking about it, it sure isn't in Virginia.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

SwinerBock

Quote from: razorback3072 on September 14, 2011, 08:58:04 am

Actually, in another thread on here, the following proposal popped up:  if the SEC goes to 16 teams, and if we go to 4 4-team pods, hold an SEC semi-final round, with pod winners facing off in Dallas and Atlanta, and the SECCG can be in New Orleans.

nole10591

Quote from: josh_sec33 on September 14, 2011, 09:21:28 am
Can we make sure that we play FSU every year in baseball?

Guaranteed series win every year. :) (in all seriousness, I mean this. I have friends in Florida who follow FSU baseball and every year they pray to NOT be matched up against Arkansas in a potential super regional matchup.)
REALLY ?? We have beaten the gaytors in the series last three yrs. They are fine one to talk. I know for a fact FSU isn't scared on playing anyone.
So long lost DECADE !!!

online-with-swine

FSU-UF is similar to UA-AM.  We already play each other and compete for a lot of the same recruits.  I think once 2 teams start playing you can throw the we are from the SEC schtick out the window.  At that time, it doesn't matter as results on the field trump the conference affiliation.

For FSU-UF, I see no real change to each school other more money for FSU.  For UA-AM, I think both schools win.  AM gets stability and possibly more money.  If they stop playing UT then they can pull out the SEC card.  For the U of A, we get more exposure in Texas which will help our recruiting efforts there.  The loser would be UT.

buckyhog

The championship game in New Orleans isn't likely as long as the bowl tie in for the SEC is the Sugar Bowl.  If these super conferences bring the demise of the bowl system, then it may become a possibility. 

As it is and has been, it is unattractive to go to New Orleans twice in one month for SECCG and then the Sugar Bowl.

Rotating the SECCG between Atlanta, Dallas or Houston would be cool though!

stearnum

Quote from: Douglas on September 13, 2011, 06:40:22 pm
I cannot discuss those (my sources have asked me to not reveal that information). In time, they may come out, however, right now, it is too damning for Texas/Big12, and TAMU/SEC does not want to be seen as the ones that took down the Big 12.

this [CENSORED] guy again... with his "sources"  It's an anonymous message board.. or it's supposed to be.  You probably greet everyone with your screen name though so maybe I can understand your reason for not sharing if you really have relevant info (unlikely). 

Mike_e

Quote from: stearnum on September 14, 2011, 10:37:32 am
this ******** guy again... with his "sources"  It's an anonymous message board.. or it's supposed to be.  You probably greet everyone with your screen name though so maybe I can understand your reason for not sharing if you really have relevant info (unlikely).

Stearnum?  Stear number what?

If it doesn't make any difference, why get on the rag about it?
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Ishnublah

Quote from: hogfan064 on September 13, 2011, 06:40:45 pm
FSU will not be in the SEC, since the presidents at USC, UGA, UK, and UF aren't allowing it.  I have no idea what Texas is going to end up doing, but the SEC isn't expanding in a state it is already in. 

^^^ this

Doug

Quote from: stearnumthis ******** guy again... with his "sources"  It's an anonymous message board.. or it's supposed to be.  You probably greet everyone with your screen name though so maybe I can understand your reason for not sharing if you really have relevant info (unlikely).
Lanny knows a couple of my sources. :)

Besides, don't you have anything more productive to do than to waste taxpayer dollars being online here?
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

riccoar

Quote from: Douglas on September 13, 2011, 08:11:18 pm
Independents will not survive Super Conference structures (only way to get to national championships).

And you know this scares the hell out of and pisses off Texas and Notre Dame.  It kills their solo TV deals and means they no longer call the shots.  I for one love that.

Doug

ND will be fine.  They're going to end up in the B1G. Yes, their TV deal will be re-worked, however, I do suspect that many of the provisions will be grandfathered in.
--Doug

hogtusk

Quote from: SwinerBock on September 14, 2011, 10:12:54 am
Actually, in another thread on here, the following proposal popped up:  if the SEC goes to 16 teams, and if we go to 4 4-team pods, hold an SEC semi-final round, with pod winners facing off in Dallas and Atlanta, and the SECCG can be in New Orleans.
I like this idea, Dallas and New Orleans sounds awesome to me.
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

riccoar

Quote from: Douglas on September 14, 2011, 10:53:47 am

Besides, don't you have anything more productive to do than to waste taxpayer dollars being online here?

Smart people know computers have no anonymity. ;)

riccoar

Quote from: Douglas on September 14, 2011, 11:04:56 am
ND will be fine.  They're going to end up in the B1G. Yes, their TV deal will be re-worked, however, I do suspect that many of the provisions will be grandfathered in.

I know they will, but I have longed for the day that they were forced into doing the inevitable.

jackflash

I know its all about football. but adding Kansas and North Carolina for basketball wouldn't be a bad ideal. North Carolina can be good enough in football

riccoar

Quote from: jackflash on September 14, 2011, 11:16:02 am
I know its all about football. but adding Kansas and North Carolina for basketball wouldn't be a bad ideal. North Carolina can be good enough in football
If basketball were the bread winner, that would be smart.  However, the pigskin is what rakes in the coffers to pay for itself as well as other sports.

josh_sec33

Quote from: hog10591 on September 14, 2011, 10:16:31 am
REALLY ?? We have beaten the gaytors in the series last three yrs. They are fine one to talk. I know for a fact FSU isn't scared on playing anyone.

Really. They said 'For some reason, we forget how to play when we have to Arkansas, Especially at Baum. When you beat us at home in regional a few years ago, we knew for some reason that being matched up with Arkansas under DVH is just a good match for us."
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

razorback3072

Quote from: buckyhog on September 14, 2011, 10:34:20 am
The championship game in New Orleans isn't likely as long as the bowl tie in for the SEC is the Sugar Bowl.  If these super conferences bring the demise of the bowl system, then it may become a possibility. 

As it is and has been, it is unattractive to go to New Orleans twice in one month for SECCG and then the Sugar Bowl.

Rotating the SECCG between Atlanta, Dallas or Houston would be cool though!

The SEC has bowl tie-ins to Atlanta as well.  It's not BCS tie-ins but the Chick-fil-a Bowl is played in the Georgia Dome.

The real reason it will never be moved is because the majority of the schools in the SEC are closer to ATL than NOLA and it's closer for the SEC Offices. 
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

Hornkiller

Quote from: KnilesKankle on September 14, 2011, 10:32:54 am
FSU-UF is similar to UA-AM.  We already play each other and compete for a lot of the same recruits.  I think once 2 teams start playing you can throw the we are from the SEC schtick out the window.  At that time, it doesn't matter as results on the field trump the conference affiliation.

No it isn't the same. Intra-state rivalries are way different. When you have donors working side by side with alumni from other programs listening to 364 days of smack... the wallets tends to open out a little more to shut them up. High School coaches work extra hard to either gain favor or show no bias in recruiting. Besides A&M will tell you their rival is Texas, not Arkansas.

Remember in the 90's when the SEC was powefull and Florida was top year in and year out? Remember where Florida was in the state power ranking? Usually behind FSU and Miami. (expect for the 95-96 seasons) It's hard for us to see in Arkansas but if Florida was to allow FSU into the SEC and FSU keeps rising... the Gators will be in for a very long haul to get back to the top. Especially if FSU is now a conference game.

buckyhog

Quote from: razorback3072 on September 14, 2011, 12:26:00 pm
The SEC has bowl tie-ins to Atlanta as well.  It's not BCS tie-ins but the Chick-fil-a Bowl is played in the Georgia Dome.

The real reason it will never be moved is because the majority of the schools in the SEC are closer to ATL than NOLA and it's closer for the SEC Offices. 

Most of the time the teams in the SECCG aren't gonna end up in the Peach Bowl.

razorback3072

Quote from: buckyhog on September 14, 2011, 12:37:15 pm
Most of the time the teams in the SECCG aren't gonna end up in the Peach Bowl.

that's where SC ended up last year.

However,that's not really the point.  The point is that the bowl tie-in is thrown around as an excuse but it's not the real reason they won't rotate. 

It's the same reason the SEC Baseball Tourney is in Hoover every year.  They opened it up for bids last year but guess where it is through 2016?

Bama, Auburn and all the Eastern Division schools would throw a fit.

WizardofhOgZ

If you want to see some funny stuff, check out the desperate Texas promoters in the comments to the article linked in the OP (included again in this post for convenience).  Suddenly, UT supporters are reduced to shilling for their university, expounding on it's academic and athletic merits.  How amusing to see them pandering for consideration.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/seminoles/fsu-preparing-for-realignment-possibilities-such-as-moving-1855047.html

NWASooner

Quote from: ItcouldBworse on September 14, 2011, 07:36:02 pm
Thought that this spoke volumes:  "Everyone is working independently. No one is being straight with anyone anymore."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6970677/big-12-schools-face-economic-impact-shuffling

QuoteIowa State went ahead with projects after the Fox contract was completed and took out $40 million in bonds based on the deal. Iowa State has invested $5 million in a new video board, $20 million in a football building and an estimated $15 million in a sports complex for track, soccer and softball. The video board project began in July for this football season and the other two projects are under construction.

"The taxpayers of Iowa can't pay if those bonds fall through," a source said Wednesday. "These are real questions, real situations. I'm not sure how (Iowa State) could waive those (legal) rights (to sue the SEC)."

Exactly.  People forget or don't realize this but real people are going to lose their real jobs based on what A&M is doing.  When the Big 12 was shuffling last year, it was apparent that people at some of those schools left over would take massive revenue hits and have to lay people off.

Then, A&M recommitted to the conference only to back out 10 months later.

I hope Iowa State sues their ass and yes, they have a case.  (I'm talking about A&M here, not the SEC.)

Write the check, A&M.

online-with-swine

PonderinHog

Deep pockets principle - sue Texas, TTU, OU and OSU the minute they pull out.

NWASooner

Quote from: KnilesKankle on September 14, 2011, 08:04:51 pm
Texas changed the rules mid way through and yet you still blame AM.

No they didn't.  Everyone knew the Longhorn Network was a possibility.  Hell, A&M signed onto the new Big 12-2 last year and the LHN was in writing.  What they're upset about is the amount of money Texas got.  Why can't A&M start their own network like Kansas State is doing?

I'm about tired of A&M at this point and I'm talking about the off the field stuff.  They're two faced and duplicitous.  They're against equal revenue sharing until their for it.  They're for school networks until they're against it.  They're against high school exposure until they're for it.  The Big 12-2 gave them everything they wanted which is more than they deserved, they signed a contract for it, and 10 months later they want to break it.

Take them and in three years Bama and Florida will be starting their own network and A&M will be whining about it.

I hope Iowa State sues their ass for breach of contract.  They'd win, too.

HoopS

When Texas started talking about televising HS games, the game changed.  Then they tried to convince a couple Big 12 teams to allow their game to be televised by the LHN when all that was agreed upon was one OOC game.   Texas got their network then pushed it and A&M reacted.   I don't blame them.  And it is too bad ISU actually thought the conference would survive and thrive with Nebraska gone. 

Catfish Joe

Quote from: NWASooner on September 14, 2011, 08:11:57 pm
No they didn't.  Everyone knew the Longhorn Network was a possibility.  Hell, A&M signed onto the new Big 12-2 last year and the LHN was in writing.  What they're upset about is the amount of money Texas got.  Why can't A&M start their own network like Kansas State is doing?

I'm about tired of A&M at this point and I'm talking about the off the field stuff.  They're two faced and duplicitous.  They're against equal revenue sharing until their for it.  They're for school networks until they're against it.  They're against high school exposure until they're for it.  The Big 12-2 gave them everything they wanted which is more than they deserved, they signed a contract for it, and 10 months later they want to break it.

Take them and in three years Bama and Florida will be starting their own network and A&M will be whining about it.

I hope Iowa State sues their ass for breach of contract.  They'd win, too.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

jesterzzn

Am I the only person that is tired of "School annouces they will think about the potential of a possibility" being described as "breaking news"??

NWASooner

Is that A&M crying?

If the leftover Big 12 schools filed a class action lawsuit against A&M, the settlement could be around $100 million dollars.  Seriously.

A&M and the SEC want no part of this.  That's why Slive has been stand offish.

All this over a team that would never win the SEC West.