Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam Robinson and Hootie Jones

Started by lahawg1, June 20, 2016, 11:58:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkamedes

Be interesting to see if the DA has any new major campaign contributors after this "show of compassion".  ;)
"The time is always right to do what is right." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Rise above oneself and grasp the world." ~ Archimedes

PonderinHog

Quote from: Sivad on June 22, 2016, 12:36:13 am
It appears Saban's calibration might be a little loose when it comes to a starter.
Saban's moral compass always points to wherever the next national championship game is going to be played. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hog N Bama on June 21, 2016, 07:32:47 pm
You don't REALLY think Saban will suspend from any games now do you? :-\

He has to, doesn't he?

TUSKtimes

Quote from: GolfnHog on June 21, 2016, 05:28:59 pm
Thank you for the reminder; the compelling question that I have is this: was the park closed and were they there after hours? If so, then the officer(s) had reasonable and legal grounds to investigate. Even if the park was open what is the crime rate index for the park during those hours that would give an officer  a reasonable expectation to investigate for occupant safety or to prevent a potential crime?

Either scenario gives officers leeway to investigate and based on what has been reported, the "plain view" doctrine was a contributing factor  in the discovery of the weapon and pot. From that moment on, officers have a right to search the vehicle and occupants for further weapons for officer safety.  Until more is explained to the world," the fruit of the poisonous tree" of search and seizure was never reached here. (JMO).

This doesn't add up and this is a political ploy that just further adds to the AYSM shock & awe of everyone that holds a modum of common sense.

There are simply too many scenarios to assume the sequence of the police and those 4 gentlemen in detail. Would take a trial to get all the sordid details.

However in the affidavit, the police say they saw the bag of weed on the driver's side floorboard AFTER he made everyone get out of the car. They were told to get out so he could search. After that everything he found was a fruit of the search.   

In that no one laid claim to ownership of the stolen gun, why would they leave out two of the potential owners in the incident report?  I would add it is hard to build a case for constructive possession when you forgot to mention half of the possible possessors. The fact they took the handcuffs off the two and released them on the spot is problematic.

The defense attorney was adamant about the violations of his client's 4th amendment rights and was not sparing the DA's feelings in that regard. The DA stated it was an improper search. Given what we do know in the affidavit, I would agree with both of them. But we weren't there and for that, it ultimately is just hearsay to the rest of the football world.

hogcard1964

TUSK:

Does Saban man up and throw them off the squad or simply make them sit a couple of early meaningless games?

hogcard1964

Sounds like folks are pushing Saban to do something.  The question then is, how much?

Only time will tell, but if there is one burden here on Saban and Alabama – who have promised punishment outside the legal system – it's to do everything to make it the former, not the latter.

Saban shouldn't listen to Jones, who believes getting caught in a rental car with drugs and guns shouldn't be considered a strike against them. Oh, it's a strike. Maybe not a strike worthy of incarceration or prosecution but it is, at best, begging for trouble.

If Robinson and Jones get a break because they made it all the way to Saban, then it's Saban's job to make sure they understand the break they were given – a prosecutor who isn't just looking to throw every young man in jail, who sees a separate path to rehabilitation, who believes in them ... or just loves football.

Not every young man gets such a break.

Robinson and Hootie Jones owe Jerry Jones, big time. Nick Saban does too.

The only way to pay him back is to take this more seriously than the prosecutor did.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/somehow--bizarre-and-clumsy-handling-of-alabama-players-could-be-justice-001548496-ncaaf.html?nhp=1

TUSKtimes

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 22, 2016, 08:45:00 am
TUSK:

Does Saban man up and throw them off the squad or simply make them sit a couple of early meaningless games?

He already has them on discipline as I earlier stated. This was before the DA's decision to drop the case. So they weren't off then. Why would either be off the team now that there are no charges?

Can't say about games lost. But they were guilty of a lot of nonsense even without prosecution and I wouldn't know why that should change anything about discipline.

hogcard1964

Quote from: TUSKtimes on June 22, 2016, 10:37:35 am

He already has them on discipline as I earlier stated. This was before the DA's decision to drop the case. So they weren't off then. Why would either be off the team now that there are no charges?

Can't say about games lost. But they were guilty of a lot of nonsense even without prosecution and I wouldn't know why that should change anything about discipline.

What's the discipline?

TUSKtimes

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 22, 2016, 10:39:09 am
What's the discipline?

What has already been dispensed or what I think should happen?

hogcard1964

Quote from: TUSKtimes on June 22, 2016, 10:51:26 am
What has already been dispensed or what I think should happen?

I'm asking what the penalty was.  How has Saban and/or the university punished them?  i.e. are they sitting out 6 games, the season, have they lost their scholarships...???

TUSKtimes

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 22, 2016, 11:28:52 am
I'm asking what the penalty was.  How has Saban and/or the university punished them?  i.e. are they sitting out 6 games, the season, have they lost their scholarships...???

Indefinite suspension as of May29. Both get tested weekly for drugs. Regular drug counseling. Video appointment with mental health consultants monthly. Meet twice a week with Tuscaloosa police for gun safety/ownership education. 20-hour community service. Robinson has already spent at least 26 hours riding with Northport police. Hootie spent 21 days in a drug rehab program. Heard they are getting to know the strength coach much more intimately, but wasn't in print.

We are all staying tuned for the on-field discipline if any.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: TUSKtimes on June 22, 2016, 11:59:00 am

Indefinite suspension as of May29. Both get tested weekly for drugs. Regular drug counseling. Video appointment with mental health consultants monthly. Meet twice a week with Tuscaloosa police for gun safety/ownership education. 20-hour community service. Robinson has already spent at least 26 hours riding with Northport police. Hootie spent 21 days in a drug rehab program. Heard they are getting to know the strength coach much more intimately, but wasn't in print.

What a joke.
Even less than anyone expected.
Sends a clear message to the rest of the Alabama team (and the nation).

TUSKtimes

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on June 22, 2016, 01:49:58 pm
What a joke.
Even less than anyone expected.
Sends a clear message to the rest of the Alabama team (and the nation).

It would have to be a 6 game suspension to keep the guys from playing in Fayetteville. That's a whole lot of indignation, to send that kind of "clear message."

Hog-Corleone

They should do their ride-alongs with the Detroit police, East St. Louis, Midtown Atlanta, Washington DC, etc.  They should have to go see what cops go through in areas where crime is high, and their lives are put on the line for a parking ticket.  To see what possession of an illegal firearm actually means.  North Port police, might as well have had them ride along with the hall monitor at a day care.  Besides, the cops were probably Bama fans, and they probably spent most of the time stroking egos, and eating donuts, and talking about how bad they were going to beat Auburn next year. 

I don't know what the proper punishment should be legally, I do know that letting them off was not it.
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on June 22, 2016, 02:24:06 pm
They should do their ride-alongs with the Detroit police, East St. Louis, Midtown Atlanta, Washington DC, etc.  They should have to go see what cops go through in areas where crime is high, and their lives are put on the line for a parking ticket.  To see what possession of an illegal firearm actually means.  North Port police, might as well have had them ride along with the hall monitor at a day care.  Besides, the cops were probably Bama fans, and they probably spent most of the time stroking egos, and eating donuts, and talking about how bad they were going to beat Auburn next year. 

I don't know what the proper punishment should be legally, I do know that letting them off was not it.

Could spend the summer in Iraq too. That would teach them.

Based on your analysis of what is really happening around the Capstone this summer, why sweat it in the first place? Everyone is on the take and there is no life's lesson to be had that could possibly benefit these guys going forward. So much for rehab.

26.2Hog

Quote from: TUSKtimes on June 22, 2016, 02:38:50 pm

Could spend the summer in Iraq too. That would teach them.

You are probably too young to know, but there actually was a time when astute judges and prosecuters would give young punks like these the choice of joining the military to expunge the records and avoid prosecution, fines, and/or jail time.

It worked, too. The offenders would come back men, with a whole new outlook on how to live.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 21, 2016, 11:59:57 am
Thats funny, the supreme court just ruled...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/21/us/supreme-court-says-police-may-use-evidence-found-after-illegal-stops.html?_r=0

I was just about to bring this up lol. Of course that all depends on attenuating factors. I am more curious what made the search illegal. If they were in a park after dark then I would assume the initial seizure was lawful. If there was contraband in plain sight that gives you PC for arrest and subsequent search (of the vehicles passenger compartment) incident to arrest. What's left to botch? What am I missing?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: 26.2Hog on June 22, 2016, 02:49:23 pm
You are probably too young to know, but there actually was a time when astute judges and prosecuters would give young punks like these the choice of joining the military to expunge the records and avoid prosecution, fines, and/or jail time.

It worked, too. The offenders would come back men, with a whole new outlook on how to live.

Past generations would have simply measured everyone else by the standard of that culture. But if that past generation had spent a lifetime in today's culture, they would look and feel just like us.

Who's fault is that?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: 26.2Hog on June 22, 2016, 02:49:23 pm

It's my understanding that the military no longer wants these guys.

buffaload

In spite of this nonsense, what do we do as Razorback fans?  We cheer for Alabama in whatever bowl/playoff game they're in.  While we're sitting at home with an 7-6 or 8-5 record, we're all yelling "SEC, SEC, SEC!"  We shouldn't let Bama off the hook.  Hoist them up on the yardarm and let them swing.  Screw Alabama and the hypocrisy.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: buffaload on June 22, 2016, 04:32:57 pm
In spite of this nonsense, what do we do as Razorback fans?  We cheer for Alabama in whatever bowl/playoff game they're in.  While we're sitting at home with an 7-6 or 8-5 record, we're all yelling "SEC, SEC, SEC!"  We shouldn't let Bama off the hook.  Hoist them up on the yardarm and let them swing.  Screw Alabama and the hypocrisy.

Weren't you rooting for us against the longhorns?

nchogg

Quote from: TUSKtimes on June 22, 2016, 03:02:54 pm

Past generations would have simply measured everyone else by the standard of that culture. But if that past generation had spent a lifetime in today's culture, they would look and feel just like us.

Who's fault is that?
He was talking about the Vietnam days. I did know a high school senior that killed another kid with one hit. Had a choice, marines or prison and he took the marines and returned from action to become a successful business man. I have friends in Alabama that feel like they are getting off easy. Your is just (1) Alabama tide opinion.

26.2Hog

Quote from: TUSKtimes on June 22, 2016, 03:02:54 pm

Who's fault is that?

Us?  Fault?  Huh? I don't really understand all that PC sounding pyscho-babble.  My point was that it would probably straighten out some of these young punks to go through Army or Marines boot camp and spend some time in the military serving their country, and would be a better alternative in many cases than being prosecuted with a rap sheet weighing them down the rest of their lives for some stupid crap they did as a kid.

But I guess corrupt judges and little nicky have it all figured out these days.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 22, 2016, 03:07:56 pm
It's my understanding that the military no longer wants these guys.
Don't blame them.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: nchogg on June 22, 2016, 04:46:24 pm
He was talking about the Vietnam days. I did know a high school senior that killed another kid with one hit. Had a choice, marines or prison and he took the marines and returned from action to become a successful business man. I have friends in Alabama that feel like they are getting off easy. Your is just (1) Alabama tide opinion.

I believe they are getting a break of a lifetime. I also don't think they need to join the military to be saved.

Sivad

Maybe it's a good thing for others and a bad long term thing for Alabama basically okaying dope and stolen guns signaling a real lowering of any Alabama discipline standards which will cause problems down the line.

PORKULATOR

This has been another dose of "these kids are better than you" by people with money. The SEC should step in and say that they're not welcome because of evidence alone. The evidence is there, you just have a paid DA refusing to use it. 
If it we're any 2 of us, we'd both be charged with a stolen gun AND drug possession.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

hobhog

Quote from: PORKULATOR on June 22, 2016, 07:54:48 pm
This has been another dose of "these kids are better than you" by people with money. The SEC should step in and say that they're not welcome because of evidence alone. The evidence is there, you just have a paid DA refusing to use it. 
If it we're any 2 of us, we'd both be charged with a stolen gun AND drug possession.

Wth? So these kids have money?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on June 22, 2016, 05:01:31 pm
Don't blame them.

The United States armed forces doesn't require as much cannon fodder as it did back in the day. No disrespect intended by that comment btw.

KlubhouseKonnected

hobhog

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: hobhog on June 22, 2016, 09:36:19 pm
DA is spineless. Period.

Maybe not.  If there is a real issue with either the search or the seizure he is doing the right thing.  Someone above said that was the claim; however, I do not know where they were getting that nor does it really make sense in the context of the DA's statements quoted earlier

nchogg

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 22, 2016, 09:30:59 pm
The United States armed forces doesn't require as much cannon fodder as it did back in the day. No disrespect intended by that comment btw.
But you are right. Talk to 30 year plus retirees/veterans and they will say the same. When they get into specialized combat training then it's a different story.

nchogg

That is based on what I have told by retired veterans.

hobhog

Quote from: TUSKtimes on June 22, 2016, 05:01:49 pm

I believe they are getting a break of a lifetime. I also don't think they need to join the military to be saved.

Off season "discipline" and no conviction. Yeah, I'd say they got a break.

I'm guessing these kids will screw it up again- hopefully no one gets killed next time.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: hobhog on June 23, 2016, 08:37:28 am
Off season "discipline" and no conviction. Yeah, I'd say they got a break.

I'm guessing these kids will screw it up again- hopefully no one gets killed next time.

In 2015 there were more than 50,000 incidents of gun violence in the US.
More than 12,000 people have been killed with guns this year.
Nearly 20,000 people kill themselves with guns every single year.
From 2005-2015, 71 Americans were killed in terrorist attacks on American soil.
From 2005-2015, 301,797 people killed on American soil.

Be safe out there. 

hogcard1964

So far, there's been essentially no penalty.

Per AP:

Per AL.com, both players have been suspended indefinitely. Additionally, the pair will undergo weekly Miss tests, submit themselves to regular drug counseling, appear on monthly video appointments with a mental health consultant and meet twice a week with Tuscaloosa police for gun safety education.

On top of that, both will complete 20 hours of community service. Robinson specifically must complete 26 hours of ride-along service with the Northport Police Department. Jones has to spend 21 days in a drug rehab program.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/heres-how-alabama-is-punishing-cam-robinson-and-hootie-jones-after-arrests

TUSKtimes

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 23, 2016, 10:48:37 am
So far, there's been essentially no penalty.

Per AP:

Per AL.com, both players have been suspended indefinitely. Additionally, the pair will undergo weekly Miss tests, submit themselves to regular drug counseling, appear on monthly video appointments with a mental health consultant and meet twice a week with Tuscaloosa police for gun safety education.

On top of that, both will complete 20 hours of community service. Robinson specifically must complete 26 hours of ride-along service with the Northport Police Department. Jones has to spend 21 days in a drug rehab program.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/heres-how-alabama-is-punishing-cam-robinson-and-hootie-jones-after-arrests

Would 5 games be enough?

hobhog

Quote from: TUSKtimes on June 23, 2016, 10:54:48 am

Would 5 games be enough?

I think 3 would be satisfactory and continued counseling. I honestly doubt it will happen though. We shall see.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: hobhog on June 23, 2016, 11:14:53 am
I think 3 would be satisfactory and continued counseling. I honestly doubt it will happen though. We shall see.

I too would like to see at least 3 games. But coach Saban is not afraid of the schedule or doing the right thing for his program.

As recently as May 12th, coach Saban sent 5 star OT Charles Baldwin packing after just getting here from jr college. The reason was undisclosed violations. Baldwin is getting a number of major college looks with Louisville leading the charge as we speak. 

Saban makes the call he see's fit to make. No amount of public outcry changes his evaluation of that particular recruit or player. We've seen different outcomes too many times to believe one size fits all with him.

hogcard1964

Quote from: TUSKtimes on June 23, 2016, 10:54:48 am

Would 5 games be enough?

Personally, I think they should be completely removed from the school, but I think we'll see something in the area of 5-6 games.

Money talks.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 23, 2016, 12:04:24 pm
Personally, I think they should be completely removed from the school, but I think we'll see something in the area of 5-6 games.

Money talks.

Well, if it's 6 games Arkansas will get introduced to 5 star LT Jonah Williams. Otherwise, you can look for him on the right side. From all the coach speak, he is our next great lineman.

hogcard1964

Quote from: TUSKtimes on June 23, 2016, 12:18:48 pm
Well, if it's 6 games Arkansas will get introduced to 5 star LT Jonah Williams. Otherwise, you can look for him on the right side. From all the coach speak, he is our next great lineman.

Yes I know of him.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 22, 2016, 08:45:00 am
TUSK:

how bout NEITHER

Hog N Bama

so how did all that "Alabama discipline" work out?

TUSKtimes

Quote from: Hog N Bama on June 24, 2016, 11:36:32 am
so how did all that "Alabama discipline" work out?

Football players are like that guy that jumped off a 20 story building. All the way down you could him shout, So far, so good. So far, so good.   

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: 26.2Hog on June 20, 2016, 07:35:50 pm

And if the car didn't have working AC, can't arrest them.  It's in the handbook.

Yeah, guess right before they read someone their Miranda rights, questions are :

"Do you have air conditioning in your home & where you work ?  Do you work hard & sweat often ?  Are you a football player ?  Is there any reason you don't need to be arrested......like, it might mess your life up ?
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

GolfnHog

Quote from: hobhog on June 22, 2016, 09:25:57 pm
Wth? So these kids have money?

It's that phenom called "Alabama Privilege". It's like white privilege but runs deeper in the judicial system in the south. ;) ;)
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 24, 2016, 01:52:04 pm
Yeah, guess right before they read someone their Miranda rights, questions are :

"Do you have air conditioning in your home & where you work ?  Do you work hard & sweat often ?  Are you a football player ?  Is there any reason you don't need to be arrested......like, it might mess your life up ?
hahaha

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: TUSKtimes on June 23, 2016, 11:45:19 am
I too would like to see at least 3 games. But coach Saban is not afraid of the schedule or doing the right thing for his program.

As recently as May 12th, coach Saban sent 5 star OT Charles Baldwin packing after just getting here from jr college. The reason was undisclosed violations. Baldwin is getting a number of major college looks with Louisville leading the charge as we speak. 

Saban makes the call he see's fit to make. No amount of public outcry changes his evaluation of that particular recruit or player. We've seen different outcomes too many times to believe one size fits all with him.
did he ask about growing up with air conditioning prior to releasing him?  That seems to be the bar

PP