Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How does Raulerson affect the OL 2-Deep?

Started by Lake City Hog, June 17, 2016, 02:54:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on June 18, 2016, 01:36:59 pm
Is Josh Allen out of the mix now, or is there still a chance he'll return in the Fall?

Bielema said the other day that he's helping Allen transfer out. Allen played on the defensive line last season and has been gone from the offensive line for a long time.
[CENSORED]!

Cletus

See, what had happened was........

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Cletus on June 18, 2016, 05:36:41 pm
What about Johnny Gibson?
Johnny was with the second group at LT in the spring game.
No one has referred to the line ups in the Red/White game.
The White was
RT Skipper RG Rogers (Wallace was hurt) C Ragnow LG  Froholdt LT Jackson
Red was
RT Merrick RG Malone C Hannah LG Sone LT Gibson

As I said in an earlier post.  There not really a two deep depth chart, there will be a top 7-8 in the rotation.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

bennyl08

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 18, 2016, 06:41:09 pm
Johnny was with the second group at LT in the spring game.
No one has referred to the line ups in the Red/White game.
The White was
RT Skipper RG Rogers (Wallace was hurt) C Ragnow LG  Froholdt LT Jackson
Red was
RT Merrick RG Malone C Hannah LG Sone LT Gibson

As I said in an earlier post.  There not really a two deep depth chart, there will be a top 7-8 in the rotation.

Good post. Gibson was officially backup LT all last season but Wallace was first in to replace Kirkland.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on June 18, 2016, 09:06:24 pm
Good post. Gibson was officially backup LT all last season but Wallace was first in to replace Kirkland.

And yet, Wallace requested a move to the right side, where he felt more comfortable. Things change, especially in terms of the perception and confidence that a kid has in his head about his own abilities. But we need a confident, athletic, agile, mean spirited and determined guy to play that LT position. Someone absolutely committed to developing his craft and being good enough to keep that Rush End at bay, while the QB looks down field for a receiver. There is a lot of trust that has to be developed there between the QB and the LT.

The first year that Bielema was here we had a former Preferred Walk-On by the name of David Hurd who played that LT position and he gave up one, single sack all year long. Bielema said that he wished he would have had 4 years with that kid. We need that kind of guy to step up this year.
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

root_hawg

From everything I read, he was going to be a backup at Texas so decided to leave.  If he is more than a backup here, that speaks volumes

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: root_hawg on June 20, 2016, 08:12:37 pm
From everything I read, he was going to be a backup at Texas so decided to leave.  If he is more than a backup here, that speaks volumes

Evidently Coach Wickline was very difficult to play for... They did not get along.. He will be more than a backup here and I completely agree, it will speak volumes between the two different Coaching Staffs. (Yes , I know Wickline is gone from Texas but the damage was already done)

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 20, 2016, 07:34:42 pm
And yet, Wallace requested a move to the right side, where he felt more comfortable. Things change, especially in terms of the perception and confidence that a kid has in his head about his own abilities. But we need a confident, athletic, agile, mean spirited and determined guy to play that LT position. Someone absolutely committed to developing his craft and being good enough to keep that Rush End at bay, while the QB looks down field for a receiver. There is a lot of trust that has to be developed there between the QB and the LT.

The first year that Bielema was here we had a former Preferred Walk-On by the name of David Hurd who played that LT position and he gave up one, single sack all year long. Bielema said that he wished he would have had 4 years with that kid. We need that kind of guy to step up this year.
That year he also stonewalled the beast from the east jadeveon clowney. I don't believe he even touched the QB.

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 20, 2016, 07:34:42 pm

I'd prefer somebody with Jason Peters/Tunsil level athleticism. Hurd was a great technician, but his NFL career lasted 10 days. For a more realistic hope, somebody to play like Demarcus Love did for us. Hurd didn't allow a single sack, but we played the passing game with a lot of bubble wrap. There's a distinct reason we have led the SEC with the fewest sacks with CBB as our coach. It isn't because we so rarely allow pressure on the qb, it's that we coach the qb to throw the ball away rather than take any chances. That also represents itself in the artificially lower completion percentage. Hurd only allowed one sack, but go back and watch the tape and he was not a strong run blocker.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on June 21, 2016, 05:01:12 am
I'd prefer somebody with Jason Peters/Tunsil level athleticism. Hurd was a great technician, but his NFL career lasted 10 days. For a more realistic hope, somebody to play like Demarcus Love did for us. Hurd didn't allow a single sack, but we played the passing game with a lot of bubble wrap. There's a distinct reason we have led the SEC with the fewest sacks with CBB as our coach. It isn't because we so rarely allow pressure on the qb, it's that we coach the qb to throw the ball away rather than take any chances. That also represents itself in the artificially lower completion percentage. Hurd only allowed one sack, but go back and watch the tape and he was not a strong run blocker.

My point was, we need someone who within the offensive scheme and for whatever reason, is going to protect the backside of the QB. Whether it be because we are completing passes quickly or throwing it away (which is sometimes the best pass that can be made), the object is not allowing the QB to take a blind-sided hit. That's really what I was talking about but yes, we also need a good run blocker. At least when we passed the ball (where the QB is the most vulnerable) Hurd accomplished his mission. It would be nice to have someone who could get that done this year.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

June 21, 2016, 08:04:05 am #62 Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 08:16:02 am by GuvHog
Quote from: Pigs in Zen on June 20, 2016, 09:27:38 pm
Evidently Coach Wickline was very difficult to play for... They did not get along.. He will be more than a backup here and I completely agree, it will speak volumes between the two different Coaching Staffs. (Yes , I know Wickline is gone from Texas but the damage was already done)

Wickline had Raulerson at the #2 center spot but the coach who replaced him made Raulerson the starting Center for this coming season. As you said though, the damage had already been done.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Deep Shoat

He was the projected starter until he decided to transfer.  Then, he suddenly "lost" his job to an incoming frosh who hasn't even taken a practice snap yet.

Typical shorthorn propaganda.
All Gas, No Brakes!

daBoar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 21, 2016, 06:16:00 am
.....At least when we passed the ball (where the QB is the most vulnerable) Hurd accomplished his mission. It would be nice to have someone who could get that done this year.
I'm thinking Hurd was a redshirt senior.  I don't think we have one of those.  The "guy" was Kirkland.  I envision a lot of rollouts to the right.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: daBoar on June 21, 2016, 06:08:08 pm
I'm thinking Hurd was a redshirt senior.  I don't think we have one of those.  The "guy" was Kirkland.  I envision a lot of rollouts to the right.

Yeah, he was, an invited walk-on in 2009 from Monroe, La. who earned his scholarship just before the 2011 season. An excellent student and a high character young man.
Go Hogs Go!

dirtdobber

If Raulerson can play the center position adequately enough to move Ragnow, do you think Ragnow could play the LT position?  Bielema had a history at Wisconsin of o-linemen that played multiple positions through out their college careers.  The NFL loves versatile o-linemen due to their limited roster numbers.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: daBoar on June 21, 2016, 06:08:08 pm
yeah, he kinda screwed himself AND us. Dang.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 22, 2016, 06:38:30 pm
yeah, he kinda screwed himself AND us. Dang.

He definately hurt himself based on one scout's early ranking, that Bielema took exception with. "What are you thinking?" Bielema, as we all know, had plans to visit with players and their families who were considering coming out early. The visit with Alex Collins' family happened, Kirkland jumped the gun and signed with an agent. His own fault and apparently, not a good decision, though I think he has NFL potential. An extra year wouldn't have hurt him and in fact, would have helped him for the next draft. He missed out on the big money that he might have had. But kids tend to listen to advisors that they trust who may not be as well informed as they should be.

You are right, his decision to come out early hurt him, and it hurt us. It would be great for us at this point to have him back for another year.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 22, 2016, 06:52:01 pm
He definately hurt himself based on one scout's early ranking, that Bielema took exception with. "What are you thinking?" Bielema, as we all know, had plans to visit with players and their families who were considering coming out early. The visit with Alex Collins' family happened, Kirkland jumped the gun and signed with an agent. His own fault and apparently, not a good decision, though I think he has NFL potential. An extra year wouldn't have hurt him and in fact, would have helped him for the next draft. He missed out on the big money that he might have had. But kids tend to listen to advisors that they trust who may not be as well informed as they should be.

You are right, his decision to come out early hurt him, and it hurt us. It would be great for us at this point to have him back for another year.

So, who was going to play left OT, they said they were going to move him back to guard if he stayed.

bennyl08

Quote from: dirtdobber on June 22, 2016, 06:18:33 pm
If Raulerson can play the center position adequately enough to move Ragnow, do you think Ragnow could play the LT position?  Bielema had a history at Wisconsin of o-linemen that played multiple positions through out their college careers.  The NFL loves versatile o-linemen due to their limited roster numbers.

Could and should are two different things. I do think Ragnow could play LT for us if we needed him to. For example, Kirkland did play LT for us. However, it is never ideal for something like that to happen. Kirkland is and was a guard. However, he was better at tackle than Ragnow was at center. Essentially, we had 3 guards last season who were all too good to keep off the field. Ideally in such a situation, one of them would fill in as a center. The second option is to have a guard kick out to tackle. That is usually less idea. However, in our case, Kirkland at tackle with Smothers as the center was better than keeping Kirkland at guard and Ragnow at center. So that is the combo we went with. If I  had to play somebody on the OL out of position, it would be better to have 3 starting tackles where one fills in at a guard spot. Which, if Wallace starts at guard, would be the position we are in. A tackle is going to be more athletic and quicker. So, they not be as powerful in pushing a DT on a run play, but they won't get beat by a speed rush ideally and will have their bodies in the right position. A guard playing tackle will get get push on run plays, but will be slower and less athletic and can get beat by quicker speed rushers. Neither situation is ideal, but my preference is to have athleticism at the expense of strength instead of strength at the expense of athleticism.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on June 22, 2016, 07:05:27 pm

So, who was going to play left OT, they said they were going to move him back to guard if he stayed.

That's true and as I have mentioned before, I have to wonder if, given how things have worked out since last year, if that would have happened after all if he returned? I know that was their intent and it is their intent to play Ragnow at his best possible potential position for the NFL, but what about is best for the team at this time?
Go Hogs Go!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: dirtdobber on June 22, 2016, 06:18:33 pm

In the spring CBB didn't completely dismiss the idea of Ragnow playing LT. I don't think that is the direction they want to go, but Ragnow is a stud who can play anywhere and if that's what has to be done that's what they will do.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on June 22, 2016, 07:10:46 pm
Could and should are two different things. I do think Ragnow could play LT for us if we needed him to. For example, Kirkland did play LT for us. However, it is never ideal for something like that to happen. Kirkland is and was a guard. However, he was better at tackle than Ragnow was at center. Essentially, we had 3 guards last season who were all too good to keep off the field. Ideally in such a situation, one of them would fill in as a center. The second option is to have a guard kick out to tackle. That is usually less idea. However, in our case, Kirkland at tackle with Smothers as the center was better than keeping Kirkland at guard and Ragnow at center. So that is the combo we went with. If I  had to play somebody on the OL out of position, it would be better to have 3 starting tackles where one fills in at a guard spot. Which, if Wallace starts at guard, would be the position we are in. A tackle is going to be more athletic and quicker. So, they not be as powerful in pushing a DT on a run play, but they won't get beat by a speed rush ideally and will have their bodies in the right position. A guard playing tackle will get get push on run plays, but will be slower and less athletic and can get beat by quicker speed rushers. Neither situation is ideal, but my preference is to have athleticism at the expense of strength instead of strength at the expense of athleticism.

And oddly enough, it was you who were critical of David Hurd's run blocking skills while somewhat dismissing his ability to be a good pass blocking LT. Sometimes you have to go with what you have and make the best of that based on particular skills exhibited by various O-Linemen. Every situation isn't going to be ideal.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 22, 2016, 07:51:21 pm
And oddly enough, it was you who were critical of David Hurd's run blocking skills while somewhat dismissing his ability to be a good pass blocking LT. Sometimes you have to go with what you have and make the best of that based on particular skills exhibited by various O-Linemen. Every situation isn't going to be ideal.

Why is that odd? Every player has something they can be criticized for. JJ Watt doesn't go home at night saying, wow, I can't possibly get better at anything. No, he thinks about how if he wasn't a half step slower in the fourth, he could have gotten to the qb and prevented that third down conversion.

Yeah, if a guy is only a run blocker, I'll point out the lack of skill in pass blocking. If a guy is only a pass blocker, I'll point out inadequacies in the run game. McFadden had areas he could have improved on while he was in college. Critiquing aspects of a player doesn't mean they aren't the best player we can put out on the field or that you don't thoroughly enjoy watching them play. Just means that there is still room for improvement.

Pointing out Hurd's weaknesses doesn't mean I wouldn't have started him as well. It means those are the areas I thought Hurd was weak at. It means that if we want to get better, either our player needs to improve in those areas or we need to find players who can in the future. Now obviously, there are limits to what one can expect. For example, anybody expecting to see Aaron Rogers level qb'ing from a college player is only ever going to be disappointed. Luck and Manning at the college primes were nowhere near that. Same for basically any position.

ricepig

On a somewhat related subject, it looks like Logan Tuley-Tillman found his next school.

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/745792330687385600

swineology

Bigger question is will he do this?

::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::

Tuck Fexas!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on June 22, 2016, 08:43:44 pm
On a somewhat related subject, it looks like Logan Tuley-Tillman found his next school.
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/745792330687385600

Hmm, seems a lot of schools must have backed off. Visited Houston, Washington State, us and Illinois

Biggus Piggus

No. Incorrect. Try again.
[CENSORED]!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 22, 2016, 09:18:46 pm
No. Incorrect. Try again.

Actually who knows coming out of spring practice who was gonna start.  It's not like those guys are guaranteed starting jobs until they earn it in the fall.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hogberry Snortcake

Don't we have Ramirez as a potential LT?

Edit:  missed him earlier in the thread. Mea culpa.

The NewEra

The only real knock on Raulerson that I know of is he has trouble gaining and keeping weight.  I think he's at 295 and felt he had to overeat to get that weight.  Hopefully Herbert can help him in his system.

I think this coaching staff would love for Froholdt to redshirt this year.  It appears Froholdt is too talented, too smart and works too hard to let that happen.

Jackson has a lot of talent, but so much to learn at LT.  They originally hoped Wallace would take that LT spot, but I remember reading that Anderson thought he would play Guard in the pro's and wasn't the prototypical tackle he wants.  I'm actually a little concerned that Wallace wasn't ready to step in and command a starting spot with his being in the system for a while now.  Here's hoping it clicks for him real soon.  He's running out of time.

I think we are going to see a lot of changes between now and starting day.  It will be fun to see Anderson plug and play as he configures what he thinks are our best five.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on June 23, 2016, 08:30:30 am
The only real knock on Raulerson that I know of is he has trouble gaining and keeping weight.  I think he's at 295 and felt he had to overeat to get that weight.  Hopefully Herbert can help him in his system.

I think this coaching staff would love for Froholdt to redshirt this year.  It appears Froholdt is too talented, too smart and works too hard to let that happen.

Jackson has a lot of talent, but so much to learn at LT.  They originally hoped Wallace would take that LT spot, but I remember reading that Anderson thought he would play Guard in the pro's and wasn't the prototypical tackle he wants.  I'm actually a little concerned that Wallace wasn't ready to step in and command a starting spot with his being in the system for a while now.  Here's hoping it clicks for him real soon.  He's running out of time.

I think we are going to see a lot of changes between now and starting day.  It will be fun to see Anderson plug and play as he configures what he thinks are our best five.

Raulerson is over 300 lbs. now, 304-305 if I remember correctly. I think I also remember hearing or reading that Wallace was moved to the right side by his own request and the staff agreed to the request.

Few mention our transfers Malone and Ramirez. Reportedly Malone is at 310 and Ramirez is light at 6-6, 290, but they have to figure into the depth chart to some degree.

I also wonder where Jalen Merrick figures into all of this? At 6-4 he is down from 339 to 329 at last report.

And then there is Zach Rogers who at 6-1, 303, is a fireplug who saw action in 3 games last year.

Not to mention, Johnny Gibson at 6-4, 340.

We need some guys to step up.
Go Hogs Go!

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2016, 12:12:56 pm
Orville>Clay

Orville hasn't written much lately.  I don't expect him to either.

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 23, 2016, 08:49:56 am
Raulerson is over 300 lbs. now, 304-305 if I remember correctly. I think I also remember hearing or reading that Wallace was moved to the right side by his own request and the staff agreed to the request.

Few mention our transfers Malone and Ramirez. Reportedly Malone is at 310 and Ramirez is light at 6-6, 290, but they have to figure into the depth chart to some degree.

I also wonder where Jalen Merrick figures into all of this? At 6-4 he is down from 339 to 329 at last report.

And then there is Zach Rogers who at 6-1, 303, is a fireplug who saw action in 3 games last year.

Not to mention, Johnny Gibson at 6-4, 340.

Thanks for the updated information and I agree.  It's time for some guys to step up.  I look forward to watching this play out.

ricepig

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on June 23, 2016, 09:06:27 am
Orville hasn't written much lately.  I don't expect him to either.

It wouldn't take much.........

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The NewEra on June 23, 2016, 08:30:30 am
Jackson has a lot of talent, but so much to learn at LT. 

Darrel Royal used to say "If a dog will bite, it'll bite as a pup."
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bphi11ips

June 23, 2016, 10:50:44 am #87 Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:28:30 pm by bphi11ips
Maybe a good place to start would be to look at a recent depth chart.  The chart below was published on June 11 by Our Lads at http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/arkansas/89992.  I assume it's correct:

LT  74 Jackson, Colton RS FR   62 Gibson, Johnny RS SO             
LG  51 Froholdt, Hjalte SO       73 Malone, Deion JR/TR             
C  72 Ragnow, Frank JR          75 Rogers, Zach SO             
RG  60 Wallace, Brian RS SO   79 Merrick, Jalen RS FR             
RT  70 Skipper, Dan SR           64 Harvey, Klint RS FR 

Referring back to the credentials in benny's very useful post, every starter, with the exception of Skipper, who was just named preseason All-American by Athlon, were 4 stars or greater out of high school.  Merrick and Rogers were 4 stars.  In the wings is 4-star Heinrich.

With the addition of Raulerson, Arkansas has 6 4-star recruits plus a preseason All-American in the two deep.  It may be that the starting jobs when the season arrives, assuming no injuries, will come down to years in college, and that is not necessarily the same thing as experience, especially where offensive linemen are concerned.  All of these guys are good.  What is missing in general are upperclassmen.  Those with three years or more in college have an advantage because they are generally older.  Their bodies and minds are more developed.  They've paid their dues.  There will always be the Kirkland's who leave after 3 years, but that is generally a mistake for a lineman, as he discovered.  So I'll take a look at what the new line might look like with Raulerson based upon class.  I'm assuming he is in meetings now, is a smart guy (most O-linemen are with the exception of Muskogee   ;), and that picking up the schemes will not be an issue.

LT   Jackson       Gibson
LG  Ragnow       Malone
C    Raulerson    Rogers
RG  Wallace       Merrick
RT   Skipper       Froholdt

I believe Raulerson will take the reins with authority at center.  He's clearly a smart guy.  He has the cred of having started for Texas.  He adds two years of college to the first team.  Ragnow's athleticism allows him to do many things at guard that he can't do when his first duty is to snap the ball.  At left guard he also protects the blind side.

I moved Froholdt to RT for a few reasons.  First, he has virtually no experience as an O-lineman, and it showed in the Spring game.  That doesn't mean he won't be an All-American one day, which he may.  Second, I know nothing about Klint Harvey.  He's obviously good or he wouldn't be on the depth chart, but he is also a RS Fr.  Third, Froholdt appears to be a freak of nature and an animal on the field.  Like Skipper, he has the ability to intimidate his adversary.  See man.  Crush man.  Unleash the hounds.  Froholdt seems to have the mean streak required to take on equally mean SEC defensive tackles and ILB's.  Maybe I'm just assuming he has some Viking in him and he's really Gentle Ben. 

So, that was a fun way to kill an hour waiting on a phone call. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 23, 2016, 10:39:52 am
Darrel Royal used to say "If a dog will bite, it'll bite as a pup."

He also said, "Show me a QB who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a QB who ain't worth a damn."  But I think he was talking about QB's in both cases. 

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 23, 2016, 10:50:44 am
Maybe a good place to start would be to look at a recent depth chart.  The chart below was published on June 11 by Our Lads at http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/arkansas/89992.  I assume it's correct:

LT  74 Jackson, Colton RS FR   62 Gibson, Johnny RS SO             
LG  51 Froholdt, Hjalte SO       73 Malone, Deion JR/TR             
C  72 Ragnow, Frank JR          75 Rogers, Zach SO             
RG  60 Wallace, Brian RS SO   79 Merrick, Jalen RS FR             
RT  70 Skipper, Dan SR           64 Harvey, Klint RS FR 

Referring back to the credentials in benny's very useful post, every starter, with the exception of Skipper, who was just named preseason All-American by Athlon, were 4 stars or greater out of high school.  Merrick and Rogers were 4 stars.  In the wings is 4-star Heinrich.

With the addition of Raulerson, Arkansas has 6 4-star recruits plus a preseason All-American in the two deep.  It may be that the starting jobs when the season arrives, assuming no injuries, will come down to years in college, and that is not necessarily the same thing as experience, especially where offensive linemen are concerned.  All of these guys are good.  What is missing in general are upperclassmen.  Those with three years or more in college have an advantage because they are generally older.  Their bodies and minds are more developed.  They've paid their dues.  There will always be the Kirkland's who leave after 3 years, but that is generally a mistake for a lineman, as he discovered.  So I'll take a look at what the new line might look like with Raulerson based upon class.  I'm assuming he is in meetings now, is a smart guy (most O-linemen are with the exception of Muskogee  ;)), and that picking up the schemes will not be an issue.

LT   Jackson       Gibson
LG  Ragnow       Malone
C    Raulerson    Rogers
RG  Wallace       Merrick
RT   Skipper       Froholdt

I believe Raulerson will take the reins with authority at center.  He's clearly a smart guy.  He has the cred of having started for Texas.  He adds two years of college to the first team.  Ragnow's athleticism allows him to do many things at guard that he can't do when his first duty is to snap the ball.  At left guard he also protects the blind side.

I moved Froholdt to RT for a few reasons.  First, he has virtually no experience as an O-lineman, and it showed in the Spring game.  That doesn't mean he won't be an All-American one day, which he may.  Second, I know nothing about Klint Harvey.  He's obviously good or he wouldn't be on the depth chart, but he is also a RS Fr.  Third, Froholdt appears to be a freak of nature and an animal on the field.  Like Skipper, he has the ability to intimidate his adversary.  See man.  Crush man.  Unleash the hounds.  Froholdt seems to have the mean streak required to take on equally mean SEC defensive tackles and ILB's.  Maybe I'm just assuming he has some Viking in him and he's really Gentle Ben. 

So, that was a fun way to kill an hour waiting on a phone call. 

Harvey is no longer on the team, according to a player's Dad.

lumphog

GOOD STUFF...bphi11ips.  Thanks for your insight

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 23, 2016, 08:49:56 am

I believe we will see them step up. Think about it, Skipper and Kirkland have taken up 40% of the starting spots b/w the two of them. The other spots have been filled by upper classmen for the most part.

2013: Hurd, Kirkland, Swanson, Skipper, and Cook. (might have Kirkland and Skipper swapped). Hurd, Swanson, and Cook were all upperclassmen, with Swanson the only established starter and Cook starting a lot of games before, but never cementing a position. At the start, it was Hurd, Smothers, Swanson, Cook, and Olison. Olison left, and Kirkland or Skipper beat out inexperienced sophomore Smothers to start at the other guard spot as Cook kicked out to tackle.

2014: Skipper, Tretola, Smothers, Kirkland, Cook. Skipper moved out to tackle since to replace Hurd. It started with Charpentier at LG, but was quickly replaced by incoming JUCO Tretola once he got a feel for the game. Ragnow played a little bit behind Smothers, but even as he is the most celebrated of our current linemen, he was not able to beat out the older, eventually undrafted Smothers. Tretola beat out upperclassmen Charpentier, who was green himself.

2015: Kirkland, Tretola, Smothers, Ragnow, Skipper. The only change here is that Cook graduated, so that left room for the young Ragnow who tried to get in but couldn't to have a starting spot.

2016: ???

So, the only time we've really had to have young guys step up before, was 2013 when we lost Deacon, Bailey, and Peacock as our starters. This year, we at least have RS freshmen, sophomores, and JUCOs to fill in the gaps rather than true freshmen like in 2013. Even then, the young players took time including Tretola to earn the starting job. Once the lights come on, I think we will all (at least most) be proud of our guys on the field at OL.

FANONTHEHILL

June 23, 2016, 07:34:47 pm #92 Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 08:17:19 pm by FANONTHEHILL
Here's who was on campus at the end of Spring ball.
Kneeling: L to R
Wallace, Froholdt, Ragnow
Standing:
L to R
Malone, Skipper, Jackson, Rogers, Merrick, Hannah, Gibson, Sone

Not pictured are: Raulerson, Ramirez, Tyler Hall, and  Jake Heinrich

Anderson can put the  OLine puzzle pieces together for sure.

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Biggus Piggus

Makes no sense to move Froholdt to tackle. He is and will be a guard. Harvey was not good, and that is why he is gone. Ragnow could be the right guard, not left. Raulerson is a possible starter at center. Wallace is more likely right tackle than anything else, though they might give him another chance to show he can play guard. Two veterans will start at the guards, one way or another. Left tackle is the biggest question mark.
[CENSORED]!

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 23, 2016, 11:22:43 pm
Makes no sense to move Froholdt to tackle. He is and will be a guard. Harvey was not good, and that is why he is gone. Ragnow could be the right guard, not left. Raulerson is a possible starter at center. Wallace is more likely right tackle than anything else, though they might give him another chance to show he can play guard. Two veterans will start at the guards, one way or another. Left tackle is the biggest question mark.

Is this comment divination, or did you get it from the coaching staff?

I get that a lot of posters here present certitude, with not many facts or ability to know the facts required to give them that certitude, and they can't think too logically about the issues at hand, but then you roll in with just as much certitude and little to no facts presented as to how you came up with your lineup. I have no idea how the coaches settle the manning issues they are faced with, but spring ball is now over, there have been several personnel changes since then, and summer camp hasn't happened yet. So many things can happen between now and September that there seems little point in jawboning one another over one guy here or another guy there.

The coaches will work it out (as, obviously, its their job) and we will know as soon as they get it worked out. If you are going to hammer other posters for their "wrong" thoughts on the manning issues, you probably ought to drop the "Take the word of one who knows" attitude from your own tone of posting.
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

GuvHog

Quote from: Rison Razor Hog on June 24, 2016, 08:58:21 am

I get that a lot of posters here present certitude, with not many facts or ability to know the facts required to give them that certitude, and they can't think too logically about the issues at hand, but then you roll in with just as much certitude and little to no facts presented as to how you came up with your lineup. I have no idea how the coaches settle the manning issues they are faced with, but spring ball is now over, there have been several personnel changes since then, and summer camp hasn't happened yet. So many things can happen between now and September that there seems little point in jawboning one another over one guy here or another guy there.

The coaches will work it out (as, obviously, its their job) and we will know as soon as they get it worked out. If you are going to hammer other posters for their "wrong" thoughts on the manning issues, you probably ought to drop the "Take the word of one who knows" attitude from your own tone of posting.

Moving Frolholdt to tackle makes no sense to me either.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bigdaddyhawg

Your logic is impeccable.

Watch it, fella!!

root_hawg

Raulerson was a four-star prospect in the Class of 2013 and the No. 113-ranked player in the ESPN 300. He redshirted his first season at Texas and started five games as a redshirt freshman in 2014, including one against UCLA. As a sophomore, his playing time dwindled and he knew about midway through the season it would be his last at Texas.

per ESPN

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on June 24, 2016, 09:48:11 am

Moving Frolholdt to tackle makes no sense to me either.

It does if you look at the big picture this year in the two deep, assuming Raulerson bumps someone from the first team and that person is Froholdt.  Who will Froholdt bump on second team?  Rice says Harvey is gone, but he seems to be the likely choice to move down anyway. Froholdt can learn any position at this point.  As some have pointed out, versatility is an asset for an offensive linemen.  That may be a reason the official roster refers to all offensive linemen simply as "OL".  Circumstances may dictate a move anytime, even mid-game.  Bielema says frequently he wants the best five in the first group, not necessarily the best by position. 

The question presented is what effect does Raulerson have on the two-deep.  I simply addressed that question and believe moving Froholdt down to Harvey's spot is an option.  That may not make any more sense to you and Biggus than starting Wallace at guard, but for some reason that's where the staff have him on the current depth chart.

Biggus Piggus

If you are going to hammer other posters for their "wrong" thoughts on the manning issues, you probably ought to drop the "Take the word of one who knows" attitude from your own tone of posting.

What are "manning" issues?

All I do is pass on the word from those who are close to the program. Maybe you are unfamiliar with this.
[CENSORED]!