Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 10, 2024, 10:10:08 pm

USS Arkansas

Started by North hog, June 16, 2016, 12:30:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

North hog

LZH

About time. The original "Arkansas" cruiser (I think that is what it was) was vaporized at Bikini Atoll after World War II in a nuclear test.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: LZH on June 16, 2016, 01:02:40 pm
About time. The original "Arkansas" cruiser (I think that is what it was) was vaporized at Bikini Atoll after World War II in a nuclear test.
the Arkansas battleship (wyoming's sister) was a bad ass. I play with her in World of Warships. Fun game.

There have been 4 total named uss arkansas (after this sub is commish'd)
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

JMartin_AF1

Thanks for the information. Very cool.

redleg

There is also the newly launched Freedom class littoral cruiser USS Little Rock!

:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Justifiable Hogicide

Maybe when they launch a tube they'll yell "Woo Pig!"

DOGALUM

Quote from: redleg on June 16, 2016, 02:22:51 pm
There is also the newly launched Freedom class littoral cruiser USS Little Rock!

:razorback:
I'm guessing the instrumentation is always going out.....and the bathrooms suck.   And while it is based on the east coast, for some unknown reason it stills runs a mission or two every year in the pacific?   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

PonderinHog

Quote from: DOGALUM on June 16, 2016, 06:36:45 pm
I'm guessing the instrumentation is always going out.....and the bathrooms suck.   And while it is based on the east coast, for some unknown reason it stills runs a mission or two every year in the pacific?
Huh ???  Does it dock near a golf course ??? lol

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 16, 2016, 01:03:59 pm
the Arkansas battleship (wyoming's sister) was a bad ass. I play with her in World of Warships. Fun game.

There have been 4 total named uss arkansas (after this sub is commish'd)

I just can't get into WoWs, maybe because I suck at it.

Kyle

June 16, 2016, 10:11:50 pm #9 Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:49:19 pm by Kyle
Having been in states that have military crafts named after them (Mississippi and Wyoming), I'm really happy to see this. It would've been sweet if it was a big boomer, but this is something to be proud of!

Bacons Rebellion

I'm working at Newport News Shipbuilding all summer. Maybe I can snag a new poster.

redleg

What's the matter? Ya butt hurt cause they won't bother naming a US Navy vessel after one of the NWA city-states?
You NWA people should be thanking central Arkansas and WMS for keeping the program relevant over the years. Keep up your smart@ss attitude, and you're gonna lose the fans south of the Arkansas River when UALR starts a football program. Yeah, yeah, I know, ooooo Sun Belt football. But most fans in Little Rock and south Arkansas can't afford to drive up for games in Fayetteville. They can afford the drive to The Rock to watch UALR play A-State or UCA. Pride cometh before the fall.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Cubbie08

Quote from: redleg on June 17, 2016, 09:35:47 am
What's the matter? Ya butt hurt cause they won't bother naming a US Navy vessel after one of the NWA city-states?
You NWA people should be thanking central Arkansas and WMS for keeping the program relevant over the years. Keep up your smart@ss attitude, and you're gonna lose the fans south of the Arkansas River when UALR starts a football program. Yeah, yeah, I know, ooooo Sun Belt football. But most fans in Little Rock and south Arkansas can't afford to drive up for games in Fayetteville. They can afford the drive to The Rock to watch UALR play A-State or UCA. Pride cometh before the fall.

I wonder how many donors for the new stadium project are coming from central and south Arkansas?

gawntrail

Take it easy Francis.

TUSKtimes

Congrats on the new sub guys.

Seems like just yesterday that The USS Alabama had Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington nearly killing each other cause they wanted to drive.

Remember, the team that works together stays together.

TexHog188

Will it have slobbering hog, or running hog painted on the side?
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: TUSKtimes on June 17, 2016, 10:45:07 am
Congrats on the new sub guys.

Seems like just yesterday that The USS Alabama had Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington nearly killing each other cause they wanted to drive.

Remember, the team that works together stays together.

I thought it was because one of them was an auburn fan :)

bphi11ips

Quote from: gawntrail on June 17, 2016, 10:34:22 am
Take it easy Francis.

Francis makes a pretty good point.  I'm starting to understand how the state of Alabama became so divided.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

gawntrail

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 17, 2016, 04:32:45 pm
Francis makes a pretty good point.  I'm starting to understand how the state of Alabama became so divided.

Sounded like projection of said butt hurt.  The boat being named after Little Rock is special.  The sub too.  The bang in that post was the stadium.  And, it was pretty funny.  Francis getting all spitty-faced about attitude and losing fans is jumping the shark by quite a bit.  The gut buster is his assumption he speaks for fans in masse in Central and South Arkansas.  And, that whomever cracked wise is solely responsible for whatever Francis' collective woes are....

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: gawntrail on June 17, 2016, 05:07:16 pm
Sounded like projection of said butt hurt.  The boat being named after Little Rock is special.  The sub too.  The bang in that post was the stadium.  And, it was pretty funny.  Francis getting all spitty-faced about attitude and losing fans is jumping the shark by quite a bit.  The gut buster is his assumption he speaks for fans in masse in Central and South Arkansas.  And, that whomever cracked wise is solely responsible for whatever Francis' collective woes are....

Takes it easy there Bacon!

I know it's Macon but I like Bacon better.

Bacons Rebellion

Bacons Rebellion

I'm from Pine Bluff and cut my Hog teeth at WMS, but the scoreboard and bathroom references made me snicker.

longpig

;D
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

can't afford walking to WMS for games either.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ChitownHawg

JLS must have been the captain.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Battleship.

Here's a video history of the Battleship U.S.S. Arkansas from launch, to D-Day, to sinking in the Pacific from an Atomic test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBLMct3pKts
Go Hogs Go!

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: redleg on June 16, 2016, 02:22:51 pm

You'd better be very careful saying that out loud . . .

:-X

bphi11ips

Quote from: gawntrail on June 17, 2016, 05:07:16 pm

I've posted here for ten years.  I grew up in Little Rock, went to school in Fayetteville, and have lived in Nashville, Tennessee for nearly 25 years.  I grew up in WMS and RRS.  My grandfather grew up in Blytheville and went to his first Razorbacks game at the age of six  in 1909, a victory over LSU in Memphis.  He was an engineer in Little Rock.  He was a season ticket holder and so was my father.

I'm an Arkansan first and a Razorbacks fan second.  If I thought for a second that obnoxious Hogville posters spoke for Razorbacks fans in general, I'd adopt the Vols.

If you think WMS has outdated restrooms, take a tour of SEC stadiums. 

Hogville should adopt a rule and enforce it - no bashing players, other posters . . . or the fans and stadium outside of NWA that are the reason Arkansas football is 18 historically in what we used to call "tradition".  These are also by and large the same people responsible for the nearly $1B endowment.

Simply put - stop insulting the fans who built the Razorbacks.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 17, 2016, 06:28:35 pm
I've posted here for ten years.  I grew up in Little Rock, went to school in Fayetteville, and have lived in Nashville, Tennessee for nearly 25 years.  I grew up in WMS and RRS.  My grandfather grew up in Blytheville and went to his first Razorbacks game at the age of six  in 1909, a victory over LSU in Memphis.  He was an engineer in Little Rock.  He was a season ticket holder and so was my father.

I'm an Arkansan first and a Razorbacks fan second.  If I thought for a second that obnoxious Hogville posters spoke for Razorbacks fans in general, I'd adopt the Vols.

Hogville should adopt a rule and enforce it - no bashing players, other posters . . . or the fans and stadium outside of NWA that are the reason Arkansas football is 18 historically in what we used to call "tradition".  These are also by and large the same people responsible for the nearly $1B endowment.

Simply put, there is another thread where you can discuss the GSD. This thread is about a U.S. Naval Ship with the name, Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

PonderinHog

Is this the Great Ship Debate or the Great Stadium Debate?  Either way, give 'em hell, bphillips!   :razorback:

Make that the  Great Submarine Debate.

Justifiable Hogicide

Perhaps the UA could arrange for the sub's first Captain to be introduced at a Razorback football game in RRS and lead a Hog Call.
That would bring quite a cheer.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: gawntrail on June 17, 2016, 10:34:22 am
Take it easy Francis.
I'm not trying to add more controversy to a topic that started as a cool thing about an amazing  new submarine, but if you're making a Stripes reference, it's
"Lighten up Francis"
Spoken by Sgt Hulka to Francis (Psyco) Sawyer.
Have a great day!
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

gawntrail

If a small chuckle and a bit of ribbing (not even cast in your direction) is considered insult that requires such a long-winded rebuttal, then, I will make note for future reference.

thebignasty

Hate to break it to you, but no one will find this very moving- just as you wouldn't be moved if I told you my cred and then told you my thoughts on gsd. Kind of a self righteous waste of time.

1highhog

I get aggravated over your love of all things Malzahn,,,,,,,,,,,however, you make perfect sense and I agree wholeheartedly with this post, well said.

1highhog

By the way, I really wish they hadn't named one of these littoral cruisers after anything in Arkansas, I fear these will be the 1st ships to roll over and show their belly in the event of a big,,, wave.

ricepig

You got a link on that donor list?

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2016, 08:58:40 pm
You got a link on that donor list?

Are you suggesting I'm lying? 

Do you find a swipe at War Memorial Stadium (owned by the state of Arkansas) in a thread about U.S. Navy ships named in honor of the state and its capitol amusing?

There are some sick bastages posting here.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 19, 2016, 07:11:37 am
Are you suggesting I'm lying? 

Do you find a swipe at War Memorial Stadium (owned by the state of Arkansas) in a thread about U.S. Navy ships named in honor of the state and its capitol amusing?

There are some sick bastages posting here.

I'm suggesting you don't know where the donations came from for the $1b endowment, that's all. We know 1/3 of it came from one family, also, I would think those of us who gave did it for academics, without any thinking of where they played football games.

bphi11ips

Quote from: thebignasty on June 18, 2016, 08:39:17 pm
Hate to break it to you, but no one will find this very moving- just as you wouldn't be moved if I told you my cred and then told you my thoughts on gsd. Kind of a self righteous waste of time.

The reason for "the cred" is that there are many like me out there. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on June 19, 2016, 07:18:17 am
I'm suggesting you don't know where the donations came from for the $1b endowment, that's all. We know 1/3 of it came from one family, also, I would think those of us who gave did it for academics, without any thinking of where they played football games.

It's not about where they play football games and this is not the GSD.  It's about respect.

And explain to me the difference in ASU/Arkansas and MSU/Ole Miss.  You know as well as I do that football is and has been the most visible element of branding at the UA for a century.

I agree with you on academics.  That's where my small annual donation goes.

Bacons Rebellion

The original Arkansas deserves a mention here.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 19, 2016, 07:25:11 am
It's not about where they play football games and this is not the GSD.  It's about respect.

And explain to me the difference in ASU/Arkansas and MSU/Ole Miss.  You know as well as I do that football is and has been the most visible element of branding at the UA for a century.

I agree with you on academics.  That's where my small annual donation goes.

I agree that the GSD has nothing to do with this subject, just as where money for the university comes from doesn't, either.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on June 19, 2016, 07:33:27 am
I agree that the GSD has nothing to do with this subject, just as where money for the university comes from doesn't, either.

Did I inject the GSD in this thread?  Read Wally Hall's piece today.  There's an elephant in the room in Arkansas and it threatens to stomp the statewide fanbase we grew up with under its feet.  It's not about where games are played. It's about respect and perception.

Nice sidestep, though.  Happy Father's Day. 

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 19, 2016, 07:42:18 am
Did I inject the GSD in this thread?  Read Wally Hall's piece today.  There's an elephant in the room in Arkansas and it threatens to stomp the statewide fanbase we grew up with under its feet.  It's not about where games are played. It's about respect and perception.

Nice sidestep, though.  Happy Father's Day. 
I've read it and posted on it in the appropriate thread, again you bring up the GSD in the wrong thread, be the bigger man and ignore it. I didn't sidestep anything, just keeping the thread on target.

Pulled(PP)pork

to Waste Management stadium?  sorry, no interest

PP

thebignasty

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 19, 2016, 07:18:55 am
The reason for "the cred" is that there are many like me out there.
cool.

RazorWhacker

I guess they could name one the Fayetteville. Then it would always be late to the battle, be insulting of all the older ships, whine when the battle is in a different ocean and refuse to show up in the far away battles but still blame the ships that lost a battle in far away oceans?!?!?

Oh, and. 😊

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: RazorWhacker on June 19, 2016, 11:18:08 am
I guess they could name one the Fayetteville. Then it would always be late to the battle, be insulting of all the older ships, whine when the battle is in a different ocean and refuse to show up in the far away battles but still blame the ships that lost a battle in far away oceans?!?!?

Oh, and.
huh?

PP

Seebs

Lest we forget the USS John L. Smith.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.