Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Curious, What do southern Arkansas fans think about less games at War Memorial?

Started by WOOPIGMAN, June 16, 2016, 10:46:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

gawntrail

Quote from: ricepig on June 19, 2016, 11:42:46 am
Non ce n'est pas mon ami, tu te trompes, comme d'habitude.

But, some cannot help themselves....

'The sources of our greatest problems are two fold: One, a lack of information and two, perhaps most importantly, a plethora of wrong information.'

http://www.theuncommonlife.com/blog/greatest-problems-uninformed-and-misinformed/comment-page-1/

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: gawntrail on June 19, 2016, 10:42:20 pm
But, some cannot help themselves....

'The sources of our greatest problems are two fold: One, a lack of information and two, perhaps most importantly, a plethora of wrong information.'

http://www.theuncommonlife.com/blog/greatest-problems-uninformed-and-misinformed/comment-page-1/

Help me out here, how many plethoras are in a quart?
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

gawntrail

JIMMY BOARFFETT

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

lechon

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on June 17, 2016, 04:28:59 pm
That may have originally been true but it hasn't been in the last 20 or 30 years.

It's ALWAYS been true. Season ticket holders have had the option of buying tickets to both venues forever. The region that buys the most games for LR but are not from the immediate area are in NWA. Always has been.

The notion that games were played in LR in order for people from the Southwest, Southeast, Northeast, etc could watch games is the product of misguided imaginations. Some people from those areas did get to go, but the vast MAJORITY were from the LR area itself and NWA.

LR was absolutely the money and population base for the U of A football program decades ago. Playing games there solidified the link between the program and the most likely big money boosters in the state. The other areas of the state have historically been poor so reaching out to them was hardly the aim of playing in LR. The fact that some got to go to games was simply a bonus.

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 20, 2016, 02:02:42 am
It's ALWAYS been true. Season ticket holders have had the option of buying tickets to both venues forever. The region that buys the most games for LR but are not from the immediate area are in NWA. Always has been.

The notion that games were played in LR in order for people from the Southwest, Southeast, Northeast, etc could watch games is the product of misguided imaginations. Some people from those areas did get to go, but the vast MAJORITY were from the LR area itself and NWA.

LR was absolutely the money and population base for the U of A football program decades ago. Playing games there solidified the link between the program and the most likely big money boosters in the state. The other areas of the state have historically been poor so reaching out to them was hardly the aim of playing in LR. The fact that some got to go to games was simply a bonus.

No, it hasn't always been true.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Ben

If they wanna move from WMS, I say let UALR have a football team and occupy it. Hogs suck in LR anyway now.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

LZH

An LSU vs Oklahoma matchup in WMS to open the season would never happen because (for one) it's to small a venue...but wouldn't it ruffle the feathers of some?

How 'bout Ole Miss vs Arkansas State? That's not too farfetched....except for the "it's a dump and we don't want to play there - but we don't want anyone else in D1 to play there either" crowd.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on June 20, 2016, 07:22:35 pm
An LSU vs Oklahoma matchup in WMS to open the season would never happen because (for one) it's to small a venue...but wouldn't it ruffle the feathers of some?

How 'bout Ole Miss vs Arkansas State? That's not too farfetched....except for the "it's a dump and we don't want to play there - but we don't want anyone else in D1 to play there either" crowd.

Why would either team give up their home field advantage for such a game? For only one reason, money. If money is so readily available for the Commission, pay the Hogs to play there.......

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on June 20, 2016, 07:26:28 pm
Why would either team give up their home field advantage for such a game? For only one reason, money. If money is so readily available for the Commission, pay the Hogs to play there.......

Yes, except we have the "all of our games by God should be played on campus" crowd. Oh, except for the one at Jerry World - but apparently that doesn't count....because of money/recruiting/it doesn't fit their argument (we can take our pick).

Point is, Ole Miss has already played ASU a home-and-home (maybe twice...can't remember). I know the LSU vs (anyone) game is a pipe dream, but if ASU and Ole Miss were to schedule another home-and-home series with State's home game being in The Rock, you can bet there would be plenty of people on this board pitching a fit.

factchecker

Quote from: LZH on June 20, 2016, 07:52:56 pm
Yes, except we have the "all of our games by God should be played on campus" crowd. Oh, except for the one at Jerry World - but apparently that doesn't count....because of money/recruiting/it doesn't fit their argument (we can take our pick).

Point is, Ole Miss has already played ASU a home-and-home (maybe twice...can't remember). I know the LSU vs (anyone) game is a pipe dream, but if ASU and Ole Miss were to schedule another home-and-home series with State's home game being in The Rock, you can bet there would be plenty of people on this board pitching a fit.

State doesn't want to play in Little Rock either:

QuoteOK, first we will start with this: If you are expecting Arkansas State to bring a football game to Little Rock in the near future don't count on it.

While playing in Little Rock is appealing to some in Jonesboro, and especially to the growing and more recognizable Red Wolves fan base in central Arkansas, too many factors are at play for A-State to present its brand at War Memorial Stadium.

And it all comes down to money....

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/jeff-reed-dolla-dolla-bill-yall-red-wolves-at-war-memorial/

QuoteFor a while, this year's game with Arkansas-Pine Bluff was scheduled for War Memorial Stadium, but that moved back to campus, again giving ASU six home games.

Athletic Director Terry Mohajir said the game was rescheduled for Jonesboro because it was Bryan Harsin's first game and he did not want the new coach to start away from Liberty Bank Stadium. It was pointed out that while it would be ASU's home game, the Red Wolves would still be spending the night in  hotel away from home and have to travel to the contest.

ASU last played in Little Rock in 2006 against Oklahoma State. Although a modern-day Cowboys vs. Indians saga, the game drew just a little more  20,000, or about what ASU usually drew at War Memorial.

When the Gus (Malzahn) Bus was in town, Little Rock was a target area for the former coach, feeling it was vital for the growth of the program. While it is still on the future plan, along with developing support along the 67/167 corridor, it is not as high a priority.

Mohajir said all of the Red Wolves' marquee games will be in Jonesboro (note: future games with Mizzou and Miami). He feels there is no need to attract such foes with a bigger stadium.

So for now, Little Rock and the Great Stadium Debate is on the back burner for Red Wolves' football fans.

And that is where it should be.

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/the-red-wolves-and-the-great-stadium-debate/

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on June 20, 2016, 07:52:56 pm

They never had a home and home, they had a 2 for 1, once, but ASU is no different than any other school, they need home games to pay for improvements. As I said, the only way that game gets played there, is if there is a sponsor paying them.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ben on June 20, 2016, 01:18:09 pm
If they wanna move from WMS, I say let UALR have a football team and occupy it. Hogs suck in LR anyway now.

Great idea! They would draw at least 50 people............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on June 20, 2016, 07:57:48 pm
They never had a home and home, they had a 2 for 1, once, but ASU is no different than any other school, they need home games to pay for improvements.

Well I did say "twice"..... 8)

The point I have been trying to make, and obviously quite poorly, is that the Razorbacks are losing South and Southeast Arkansas to LSU, Ole Miss, and Alabama. I know Central Arkansas is not a hot bed for recruiting because of all the crap that has gone on in the public schools over the last 20 years.

But I still think Little Rock is the key to keeping my old stomping grounds interested in the Hogs....win or lose. If we cede that territory it would break my heart...and not just me btw.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on June 20, 2016, 08:16:08 pm

The point I have been trying to make, and obviously quite poorly, is that the Razorbacks are losing South and Southeast Arkansas to LSU, Ole Miss, and Alabama. I know Central Arkansas is not a hot bed for recruiting because of all the crap that has gone on in the public schools over the last 20 years.

But I still think Little Rock is the key to keeping my old stomping grounds interested in the Hogs....win or lose. If we cede that territory it would break my heart...and not just me btw.

I hear this all the time, but see no evidence of it. How many recruits have we lost from south Arkansas in the last 7-8 years?

factchecker

Quote from: LZH on June 20, 2016, 08:16:08 pm

The point I have been trying to make, and obviously quite poorly, is that the Razorbacks are losing South and Southeast Arkansas to LSU, Ole Miss, and Alabama.

How many games does LSU, Ole Miss, or Alabama play in Little Rock?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

sseeya

From an out of state fan to the east it pains me a bit. I was a season ticket holder @ little rock since 1994 until last year when my father passed. Fayetteville  trips require me to take a 3 day weekend from work and that's just not realistic at this time. I will be attending 1 game a year in Fayetteville,  but no longer the 2-3 I was. That being said it is long over due and i will always have fond memories of wms..

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on June 20, 2016, 08:19:24 pm
I hear this all the time, but see no evidence of it. How many recruits have we lost from south Arkansas in the last 7-8 years?

Fans....not recruits. SE Arkansas high school football isn't anything close to what it was in my heyday. But it's also not Razorback country like it was then, either. You see as much LSU gear around there as anything with a Hog on it these days.....and Ole Miss, Alabama, & Auburn aren't far behind.

The Razorbacks just aren't the consensus home team anymore.

LZH

ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on June 21, 2016, 05:33:08 am
Fans....not recruits. SE Arkansas high school football isn't anything close to what it was in my heyday. But it's also not Razorback country like it was then, either. You see as much LSU gear around there as anything with a Hog on it these days.....and Ole Miss, Alabama, & Auburn aren't far behind.

I seriously doubt it's due to the number of games played in LR, more than likely the Hootie years......so we went from 12 fans down to 4-5?

WilsonHog

If your last sentence is true, there may be another factor in play - exposure. There was a time when the Hogs were the "only game in town." ESPN and their family of networks has changed all that.

Inhogswetrust

Don't you live in Florida? I've seen quite a few other teams stuff from out of Florida in Florida. I'm from south Arkansas and visit there quite a bit. I do business down there. Have a lot of immediate and extended family there. ALL wear Arkansas gear. There are some scattered other teams represented but there always have been. Arkansas never was a "consensus" there just like LSU, Tennessee, Old Misses, Mizzou, OU and Texas aren't as you get closer to the borders and big cities of their respective states. We live in a mobile society with ease of buying stuff with any teams name on it and people moving into and out of areas. A lot of people in Memphis have Hog car tags like both my wife and I do as well as seeing flags and banners and shirts all over the place. Same in parts of Mississippi, Louisiana, Mizzou, Oklahoma, etc. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sseeya on June 21, 2016, 01:30:14 am
From an out of state fan to the east it pains me a bit. I was a season ticket holder @ little rock since 1994 until last year when my father passed. Fayetteville  trips require me to take a 3 day weekend from work and that's just not realistic at this time. I will be attending 1 game a year in Fayetteville,  but no longer the 2-3 I was. That being said it is long over due and i will always have fond memories of wms..

Where in the east? I live in Memphis and have only taken a day off from work when I felt like it. It isn't necessary at least for us and it's a five hour drive one way.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 21, 2016, 07:09:38 am
Don't you live in Florida? I've seen quite a few other teams stuff from out of Florida in Florida. I'm from south Arkansas and visit there quite a bit. I do business down there. Have a lot of immediate and extended family there. ALL wear Arkansas gear. There are some scattered other teams represented but there always have been. Arkansas never was a "consensus" there just like LSU, Tennessee, Old Misses, Mizzou, OU and Texas aren't as you get closer to the borders and big cities of their respective states. We live in a mobile society with ease of buying stuff with any teams name on it and people moving into and out of areas. A lot of people in Memphis have Hog car tags like both my wife and I do as well as seeing flags and banners and shirts all over the place. Same in parts of Mississippi, Louisiana, Mizzou, Oklahoma, etc. 

They just recently started selling some LSU and Crimson Tide stuff at Walmart here in Pine Bluff. That irritates me to no end.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on June 21, 2016, 07:57:28 am
They just recently started selling some LSU and Crimson Tide stuff at Walmart here in Pine Bluff. That irritates me to no end.

Pine Bluff.................enough said.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 21, 2016, 08:02:58 am
Pine Bluff.................enough said.

Hey, it's part of southeast Arkansas so the point stands. I seriously doubt however, that moving games from WMS to DWRRS caused that.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on June 21, 2016, 08:07:46 am
Hey, it's part of southeast Arkansas so the point stands. I seriously doubt however, that moving games from WMS to DWRRS caused that.

You do realize that Hog stuff is sold in other states also don't you.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 21, 2016, 08:09:51 am

Yep, that's why I stated that I seriously doubt moving games from WMS to DWRRS had anything to do with it. As was stated earlier, TV exposure probably has more to do with it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 21, 2016, 08:09:51 am

In the melting pot that is Nashville, you'll see merch for every SEC team.  Memphis is in the Ole Miss and Arkansas zones and is a major metropolitan area with a diverse fan base, although Vols loyalty is strong among natives.  Annual games there for 75 plus years have a residual effect.

Pine Bluff is a small town about an hour south of Little Rock.  Alabama and LSU's success and profile are obviously creating demand for related merch among native youth, and that's not good.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 21, 2016, 09:18:40 am
In the melting pot that is Nashville, you'll see merch for every SEC team.  Memphis is in the Ole Miss and Arkansas zones and is a major metropolitan area with a diverse fan base, although Vols loyalty is strong among natives.  Annual games there for 75 plus years have a residual effect.

Pine Bluff is a small town about an hour south of Little Rock.  Alabama and LSU's success and profile are obviously creating demand for related merch among native youth, and that's not good.

Yet you think having Hog merchandise in Memphis and Nashville and other places is good.....................Arkansas fans are everywhere and other teams fans are everywhere and it is easy now for someone anywhere to get something with their teams name on it. Especially with internet sales. Arkansas gear has sold very well relative to it's competitors. I would expect the "traditional" power teams to sell more gear all across the country but the Hogs represent well also. What creates sales is winning, tradition and mass merchandising.

Here is the 2014 list of CLC top schools sales: Arkansas being # 14 is pretty impressive relative to the states population and only 6 SEC teams sold more that has a licensing agreement with CLC. Interesting that we outsold Tenner also.

Top 25 Universities

1.   Texas

2.   Alabama

3.   Michigan

4.   Notre Dame

5.   Georgia

6.   Florida

7.   LSU

8.   Florida State

9.   Texas A&M

10. North Carolina

11. Auburn

12. Oklahoma

13. Nebraska

14. Arkansas

15. Wisconsin

16. Tennessee

17. South Carolina

18. Penn State

19. Missouri

20. West Virginia

21. Kansas

22. Clemson

23. Oklahoma State

24. Louisville

25. Texas Tech

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 21, 2016, 09:18:40 am

Always been the case among some youth.  Nebraska and Miami were the brands at one time. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Piggfoot

South Arkansas is shrinking as white flight continues. It is a poor area. Few people have the money to make frequent trips to Fayetteville and the people with money are getting older. HD has changed the way most people view sports and that is not likely to change.
With evolution, shift of population and money the likelyhood of games in Little Rock are a thing of the past. The glory days have shifted. Gone are most of the cotton gins and gone are Razorback games in Little Rock. I won't lose any sleep over it. Actually seeing the game live has lost some of it's magic for me.
The bands are different. The fans are more rude and obnoxious on both sides.
The travel is tiring. Staying in a hotel for a day or two is costly. A three hour game is now a weekend  mini-vacation.
A divorce resulted in me giving up six seats on the 40, 40 rows up with adjacent stadium parking. I didn't want to share with the wicked witch of the west. So by myself, I enjoy the games on big screen HD.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Torqued pork

Sports gears is much more prevalent. and widely distributed than it used to be. The same can be said about tv exposure for every major college team. I live in SWA and it's nothing to see a kid wearing Hog gear one day and maybe LSU or Bama gear the next day. The sports and fashion culture have become one with our youth. I see kids wearing St. Louis Cardinal garb all the time who don't care one bit about them. Shirts and caps often have nothing with loyalties. It's just youth fashion.

ImHogginIt

I've been in Magnolia/ Camden areas a few times visiting the past few years and everything I've seen is overwhelmingly Razorback.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Piggfoot on June 21, 2016, 11:00:05 am
South Arkansas is shrinking as white flight continues. It is a poor area. Few people have the money to make frequent trips to Fayetteville and the people with money are getting older. HD has changed the way most people view sports and that is not likely to change.
With evolution, shift of population and money the likelyhood of games in Little Rock are a thing of the past. The glory days have shifted. Gone are most of the cotton gins and gone are Razorback games in Little Rock. I won't lose any sleep over it. Actually seeing the game live has lost some of it's magic for me.
The travel is tiring. Staying in a hotel for a day or two is costly. A three hour game is now a weekend  mini-vacation.
A divorce resulted in me giving up six seats on the 40, 40 rows up with adjacent stadium parking. I didn't want to share with the wicked witch of the west. So by myself, I enjoy the games on big screen HD.

It's not white flight...........it's all races flight and economic flight.................

majestic

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 21, 2016, 11:17:25 am
I've been in Magnolia/ Camden areas a few times visiting the past few years and everything I've seen is overwhelmingly Razorback.
Same in NE AR.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Piggfoot on June 21, 2016, 11:00:05 am

I don't think South Arkansas had enough population to ever shrink from... the entire state only has 2.966 million of which ~ 730,000 live in the Little Rock MSA and 502,000 + live in the NWA MSA, ~280,000 in the Ft Smith MSA, ~149,000 in the Texarkana MSA, ....... that's more than half of the entire state population in only five MSA's......    Simply put, Arkansas has never had a density problem.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ricepig

Quote from: DLUXHOG on June 21, 2016, 02:08:58 pm
I don't think South Arkansas had enough population to ever shrink from... the entire state only has 2.966 million of which ~ 730,000 live in the Little Rock MSA and 502,000 + live in the NWA MSA, ~280,000 in the Ft Smith MSA, ~149,000 in the Texarkana MSA, ....... that's more than half of the entire state population in only five MSA's......    Simply put, Arkansas has never had a density problem.....

Pretty sure you'd get a big argument on here, we're pretty dense....

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on June 21, 2016, 05:51:46 am
I seriously doubt it's due to the number of games played in LR, more than likely the Hootie years......so we went from 12 fans down to 4-5?

Probably so. But I can remember the days where a gameday pilgrimage to LR up Hwy 65 was a big deal. Cars and RV's (like us) could be seen with flags flying and shoe polish on the rear windows from Desha County thru the Martha Mitchell Expressway (lots of people stopped at the Sizzlin' there in PB) and on to LR.

It hasn't been like that in years and years. And Wilson's right, every game is on TV now, so that has cut down on the gameday excitement for many. But that also means that there are literally hundreds of kids who will only be fairweather/recliner Hog fans because their parents never bothered to make it a big deal.....or even take them to a game at all - preferring to watch the tube.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on June 21, 2016, 02:57:30 pm
Probably so. But I can remember the days where a gameday pilgrimage to LR up Hwy 65 was a big deal. Cars and RV's (like us) could be seen with flags flying and shoe polish on the rear windows from Desha County thru the Martha Mitchell Expressway (lots of people stopped at the Sizzlin' there in PB) and on to LR.

It hasn't been like that in years and years. And Wilson's right, every game is on TV now, so that has cut down on the gameday excitement for many. But that also means that there are literally hundreds of kids who will only be fairweather/recliner Hog fans because their parents never bothered to make it a big deal.....or even take them to a game at all - preferring to watch the tube.

Well, I come from NEA, there's a slow build of cars headed to Fayetteville, by the time you get to Conway and hit I-40 it's a convoy, by the time you hit I-49 after Alma, it's a cluster frick...........and this is on Friday's, not even the Saturday game day rush. So, are these fans driving further to BR or Tuscaloosa to games?

LZH

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on June 21, 2016, 03:21:51 pm
Not sure what you mean.

These fans not going to LR, the ones who've bought LSU and Bama t-shirts?

bollweevil

The notion that Arkansas will lose fans in east and south Arkansas if there are no games at WMS is a figment of Wally Hall's imagination. Wally and a few others in the capital city can't let go of the past. Once upon a time, when Fayetteville was a remote outpost and hard to get to, playing games in central Arkansas made sense. WMS was larger and had lights for night games. Until the 1980s, there were no lights in Fayetteville. As a UA student in the 1970s, we had three (THREE!) games in Fayetteville and four in Little Rock every year.  I never considered that fair but I understood the monetary argument.  Now that DWRRS is much larger (and about to get bigger), playing games in LR and losing money makes no sense.  I live in Monticello and it's no big deal to drive to Fayetteville. If you're a Hog fan, it won't matter where they play.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: bollweevil on June 21, 2016, 04:04:58 pm
The notion that Arkansas will lose fans in east and south Arkansas if there are no games at WMS is a figment of Wally Hall's imagination. Wally and a few others in the capital city can't let go of the past. Once upon a time, when Fayetteville was a remote outpost and hard to get to, playing games in central Arkansas made sense. WMS was larger and had lights for night games. Until the 1980s, there were no lights in Fayetteville. As a UA student in the 1970s, we had three (THREE!) games in Fayetteville and four in Little Rock every year.  I never considered that fair but I understood the monetary argument.  Now that DWRRS is much larger (and about to get bigger), playing games in LR and losing money makes no sense.  I live in Monticello and it's no big deal to drive to Fayetteville. If you're a Hog fan, it won't matter where they play.
+1000 if I could....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)