Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Curious, What do southern Arkansas fans think about less games at War Memorial?

Started by WOOPIGMAN, June 16, 2016, 10:46:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WOOPIGMAN

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I am curious to hear what people around the state think about less games at War Memorial? Do you believe it hurts us? We beat LSU multiple times in LR, they were also ranked very high. I know ultimately it comes down to money, but I'd like to hear other fans opinions preferably outside of NWA

GO HOGS!

:razorback: :razorback:

DiamondHogFan

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawgar The Horrible

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

ricepig

hoggusamoungus

Guess we were lucky to eke out wins over LSU in Fayetteville and BR the past two years.

riccoar

Born and raised in Central Arkansas.  Having been to Fayetteville last year for the first time in a LONG time, I'll take my lumps, but LR's time has passed.  The Home atmosphere of DWRRS is just unmatched now and LR has just failed to do anything to keep up with anything sports venue related.  WMS has become an iron monstrosity that they just keep putting new stucco and fresh coats of paint on.

WilsonHog

Quote from: WOOPIGMAN on June 16, 2016, 10:46:33 am
I hate to beat a dead horse, but I am curious to hear what people around the state think about less games at War Memorial? Do you believe it hurts us? We beat LSU multiple times in LR, they were also ranked very high. I know ultimately it comes down to money, but I'd like to hear other fans opinions preferably outside of NWA

GO HOGS!

I live 330 miles away in northeast Arkansas, and it won't bother me at all when they move all games to Fayetteville. That's where the university is.

Justifiable Hogicide

It's fun once a year in WMS but the atmosphere is far superior at RRS - the "Home of the Razorbacks".

GuvHog

I live 3 miles west of Pine Bluff and moving games to Fayetteville doesn't bother me either. From Pine Bluff it's only about 4 hours to Fayetteville all Interstate Highways so the trip isn't that difficult any more. I don't have a distinct irrational hate for WMS like some on here do, I just think it's time to move on.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MultipleScoreGasms

The game has become the "side show" for the drunken vomit fest that takes place on the golf course and in the parking lot.

Inhogswetrust

A thread about WMS.......why hasn't someone thought of that before. Amazing.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GuvHog

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on June 16, 2016, 11:48:34 am
The game has become the "side show" for the drunken vomit fest that takes place on the golf course and in the parking lot.

It goes on a both stadiums. I have seen parents at games in Fayetteville as well as parents at WMS become irate when some fool sloppy drunk spills the beer he sneaked in all over their child.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on June 16, 2016, 11:53:03 am
It goes on a both stadiums. I have seen parents at games in Fayetteville as well as parents at WMS become irate when some fool sloppy drunk spills the beer he sneaked in all over their child.

That's because the beer has gotten hot, unless it's a late Nov night game........

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on June 16, 2016, 11:53:03 am

Drunks on a college campus are to be expected, not so much on a golf course...............................Hehe.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

razorbacker3

Getting back to the question....
I think it shows by the attendance. What most old-timers were afraid of is, by segregating the fans it will slowly lead to the deterioration of allegiance due to lack of opportunity to see and support, although most of the lack of attendance can be blamed on increased ticket prices, poor games in LR and most important, TV. Not attending a game due to WMS condition is immature and silly. I remember when Razorback stadium was a dump , but nobody didn't attend games because of it. After going to many High School games , WMS was like the Taj Mahal. lol
Had they renovated WMS in the 90's as FB asked, we would still be playing several games in WMS. It should end soon.

Dumb ole famrboy

It wouldn't surprise me if Arkansas State took up the void at WMS. Try and strengthen their appeal to Central and Southern Arkansas.

ricepig

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on June 16, 2016, 04:35:42 pm
It wouldn't surprise me if Arkansas State took up the void at WMS. Try and strengthen their appeal to Central and Southern Arkansas.

Nah, they are like UofA, they have their own stadium and upgrades to pay for.

Seebs

I hate driving to lower Arkansas but do so sometimes and I don't get to see the Razorback play. Seems like you should be asking people being forced to drive to lower Arkansas how unfair that is..
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Svrdhd

Little Rock was much more attractive when the speed limit on I-40 was 55 mph and either Hwy 71 or the Pig Trail were your only options north.
  It's an easy trip now from the south.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

SEdrhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 16, 2016, 02:08:39 pm
Drunks on a college campus are to be expected, not so much on a golf course...............................Hehe.

We evidently haven't played golf at the same spots....

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on June 16, 2016, 04:35:42 pm
They've tried it before. They didn't draw very well in LR.

Athog

BirmingHam

I'm OK with WMS games but only if they wear anthracite uni's and white shoes.

bythelake

OP,  suggest you go to a big time game in Fayetteville.  Come early and walk through the campus especially by ole main.  Go to Baum stadium, indoor track facility that holds national indoor meets.  Then walk to stadium and enjoy the tail gating as you walk past bud Walton and the new basketball practice facility.  Head towards RRS and see the new Jerry jones ( can't remember facility.  Then enjoy the new athletic facility and indoor football practice facility.  Then, make it into the stadium and enjoy yourself.  Sure I missed plenty with many mistakes, but WPS.  Can't do that in the rock.

GuvHog

MAL3

GO HOGS!

From Junction City, its over 600 miles round trip for a game. It's become easier just to watch on a big screen somewhere then make that trip 5-6 times a year. But I understand why they want to play them all on campus.

AirForceHog

If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Torqued pork

clew

Quote from: GuvHog on June 16, 2016, 11:45:34 am
From Pine Bluff it's only about 4 hours to Fayetteville all Interstate Highways so the trip isn't that difficult any more.
I was making that drive in 3:08 from Hardin in the 90s (before the interstate). Where (generally) are you located?  I grew up in Hardin off of Hardin-Reed Rd (just east of the Snack n Shop).
Pure as the dawn

TheRazorback500

I'm in Crossett, and whatever the UA wants to do with the games is ok with me. I have a sister an hour away from RRS, and we go to FV all the time. I like a good road trip. Woopig.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on June 16, 2016, 12:01:27 pm
That's because the beer has gotten hot, unless it's a late Nov night game........
Who sneaks beer into a football game ???

ricepig

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 16, 2016, 07:55:27 pm
Who sneaks beer into a football game ???

Maybe attempted beer smuggling is on the rise as an alternative to mixing Beam with Pepsi ???
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Boardon Hamsay

Used to make the drive from El Dorado a couple times every year and always looked forward to it. The drive back to El Dorado was another story.  So, I moved to Fayetteville.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Farmer Hogget

HamSammich

Its likely a mistake.

Was a rare tradition in college sports. Was cool.

The mistake though, started when people in central arkansas decided to never build a suitable stadium for sports and events.

To me? Its sad... but oh well. Stuff happens and I can't be bothered like most of the people here over it. If it causes the rise of A-state and a ualr football program, so be it. I don't care about that either.

In short I think its a mistake but In shorter.... I d o n o t c a r e .... screw stadium debates. I feel repercussions will happen regardless who is butt hurt over a decision and who is happy over it. Fans don't matter as much as some fans think.

PonderinHog

Quote from: HamSammich on June 16, 2016, 10:09:19 pm
Its likely a mistake.

Was a rare tradition in college sports. Was cool.

The mistake though, started when people in central arkansas decided to never build a suitable stadium for sports and events.

To me? Its sad... but oh well. Stuff happens and I can't be bothered like most of the people here over it. If it causes the rise of A-state and a ualr football program, so be it. I don't care about that either.

In short I think its a mistake but In shorter.... I d o n o t c a r e .... screw stadium debates. I feel repercussions will happen regardless who is butt hurt over a decision and who is happy over it. Fans don't matter as much as some fans think.
Well, I'd hate to hear what you'd have to say if you were butt hurt.

BearsBisonsBoars

ShadowHawg

Historically, the group that traveled in the largest numbers to LR games were actually from NWA. While playing games there did allow access to other areas of the state, it was mostly Central AR folks who attended, per Rick Schaeffer while he was SID.

He used to do a one day a week radio show up in Fayetteville on the KEG back in the 90s and of course would have to address the subject several times a year. Just like on Hogville. LOL

goodguytex

I live in southern Arkansas... Texarkana to be exact... I quit going to games in LR after my foot went through a hole in the bleachers at WMS last time I went to a game there and I sprained my ankle. Never again. What I would love to see is the state get it's act together and get construction of I49 finished from Texarkana to Fort Smith. Going through all of those small town speed traps does get kind of old.

Dumb ole famrboy

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on June 16, 2016, 05:21:17 pm
They've tried it before. They didn't draw very well in LR.
As a Div 1 (FBS) program at a time when the Razorbacks no longer plays games there?

hobhog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 17, 2016, 12:42:20 am
Historically, the group that traveled in the largest numbers to LR games were actually from NWA. While playing games there did allow access to other areas of the state, it was mostly Central AR folks who attended, per Rick Schaeffer while he was SID.

He used to do a one day a week radio show up in Fayetteville on the KEG back in the 90s and of course would have to address the subject several times a year. Just like on Hogville. LOL

NWA fans reptrsented largest travel numbers in WMS? I don't care who you are, THATS funny.

ricepig

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on June 17, 2016, 02:45:48 am
As a Div 1 (FBS) program at a time when the Razorbacks no longer plays games there?

Well, of course not, we still play there. Go to one of their boards, if they have more than one, and ask their fans if they want to play in LR? The response will be, if we get paid $1.5M like Auburn/Nebraska/USC paid us, or only if we add another home game to our schedule, which our budget doesn't currently allow.

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on June 17, 2016, 05:43:34 am
NWA fans reptrsented largest travel numbers in WMS? I don't care who you are, THATS funny.

I guess it depends on your definition of travel, and how far??

hogfan58

Quote from: goodguytex on June 17, 2016, 02:14:31 am
I live in southern Arkansas... Texarkana to be exact... I quit going to games in LR after my foot went through a hole in the bleachers at WMS last time I went to a game there and I sprained my ankle. Never again. What I would love to see is the state get it's act together and get construction of I49 finished from Texarkana to Fort Smith. Going through all of those small town speed traps does get kind of old.

You go to Ft. Smith up 71? If so, you are doing it wrong. In Mena, go thru OK...higher speed limits and no traffic.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Pulled(PP)pork

GO HOGS!

oh no you dint!

PP

thebignasty

Quote from: hogfan58 on June 17, 2016, 07:00:13 am
You go to Ft. Smith up 71? If so, you are doing it wrong. In Mena, go thru OK...higher speed limits and no traffic.
eww oklahoma

TOM "tbw1"

All games should be at Quigley Stadium.  There is nothing like a train ride to Little Rock. 

Looking forward to a happy 1944.  Happy New Year
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?