Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Condition book for this weekend?

Started by holeinthewall, January 09, 2017, 06:14:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

holeinthewall

Is it out yet and where do you find it on their site now? 

holeinthewall

First race is for Ark bred NW3 or haven't won since Aug 13th.  Would be nice to kick off the meet with a decent race.  5 distance races.   Quite a lot for opening day.

userpick

First race is a maiden claimer. 5 sprints and 4 routes on opening day. The races look really hard that day.

holeinthewall

Quote from: userpick on January 10, 2017, 10:46:40 am
First race is a maiden claimer. 5 sprints and 4 routes on opening day. The races look really hard that day.

I must have been on the wrong link.   I may not play anything except the P5

kingoftherapids

going to be interesting to see what the pick 5 does. the thing i worry about is the fact that the gulfstream late pick 5 is 15 min before ours and santa anita is only 35 min after. tough spot to be in but it should still be okay. i wouldnt doubt if the first pool is small because outside of the board here you didnt see a big announcement in the paper or anything

holeinthewall

All the other bets the same? 2 P4 still?   

userpick

Quote from: holeinthewall on January 10, 2017, 10:52:23 am
I must have been on the wrong link.   I may not play anything except the P5

Those were all the same races but the condition book isn't necessarily the order the races will be in. And I'm focusing 100% on pick 5 this year.

kingoftherapids

kingoftherapids

for anyone who wants free brisnet. here you go.

http://trks2day.com/friday.html

for race 1 you would click on the R01, etc. not all races will be in there every day but 90 percent will. sometimes all of them

heavylifting

I hope this isn't too much info, but the races as numbered in the condition book aren't as they get numbered when they are drawn by the racing secretary.

And the condition book doesn't contain extra races, called "extras," that appear on the overnight sheets that are distributed by the racing office.

If you have never been in a racing office while a card is being put together, do yourself a favor if you have some idle time on a late morning and take it all in.

The racing secretary and his staff will go through the entry box to see how the races have "filled." Based on that and sundry other variables, they will then decide which races to "use." Often times, there will be 15 or so races "written" for a 9- or 10-race card, which includes races from the condition book and "extras" from the overnights. If a race is oversubscribed, it might even be divided into divisions. This is something that often happens with races for maidens, but seldom for allowance and claiming races (turf races are an exception to this, but that doesn't apply to Oaklawn Park).

Once the racing office has a handle on how the races written for a particular card have filled, they will decide which ones to use. The room, which is populated mostly by jock's agents, along with a smattering of trainers, owners and jockeys, will then go silent as the racing secretary announces which races will be used. The announcement will be something like this -- "The fourth will be the first. The sixth will be the second. The first extra will be the third." Translated, that means that the fourth race from the condition book will be the first race on the actual program, the sixth race from the book will run as the second on the program, the first extra from the overnights will run as the third on the program, and so on. Then, they draw post positions, with horses being relegated to the Also Eligible list if too many horses are entered.

Frequently, a race that drew a lot of interest but wasn't used, will immediately go onto the overnight sheet as an extra race for about three or four days down the road.

The race numbers that you see assigned to races in the condition book are totally meaningless, with the possible exception of stakes races, which tend to fall in the same place (with some exceptions, notably those tracks that don't want their Pick 6 carryovers to be affected by 5-horse fields in graded stakes races, but don't get me started on that).

Hope this helps and anyone feel free to expound or contradict anything I've written.

kingoftherapids

you are right. condition book is just for trainers to plan out so it isn't a giant cluster in the racing office.