Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AP's next start after a well deserved rest? Prediction thread...

Started by HogFanInBryant, June 08, 2015, 10:27:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFanInBryant

Do you think one of the smaller racing venues that has a race for 3 year olds and up will pull out the check book later this Summer?  Or will it be the no-brainer of Monmouth, Saratoga, and/or DelMar?

userpick

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: userpick on June 08, 2015, 10:53:58 pm
I saw today Zayat said it will be the Haskell

Oh wow...I hadn't seen that.  I thought BB said he wanted to give him 2 weeks off before they even discussed the next race.

Horsesrus

Haskell, i.e. Monmouth, has paid appearance money in the past to Baffert.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jdelo77

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 11, 2015, 07:48:34 pm
They are crazy if they continue to race him.

Why he will only race like twice this year then go to stud , and they got like what 20 Million for him? How cool would it be to see the triple crown winner also win the breeders cup ?

cbhawg03

Explain the reasoning behind this.

One word will explain why he will run again, insurance! And I would imagine that the money the Zayat's were paid for breeding rights is paid regardless. Also, even if AP runs 3 or 4 more races this year, he will be the Triple Crown winner with the fewest lifetime races.

HawgWild

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

PineyWoodsRooter

I read an interview with Espinoza and he said that American Pharoah
would return to the West coast and race at Del Mar in the Pacific Classic
and then have his final race at Keeneland in the Breeders Cup Classic.
I not sure of the Pacific Classic date so he might need a tune up race before it
on the West coast.

songofthesword

why would they not race him? Zayat sold him before the derby. He owns the rights to him as long as he's 3.

I personally think they skip the haskell and go to the Awesome Again at Santa Anita then to the BC. There's really no point of 3YO summer classics once you've won the TC

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: songofthesword on June 18, 2015, 03:24:49 am
why would they not race him? Zayat sold him before the derby. He owns the rights to him as long as he's 3.

I personally think they skip the haskell and go to the Awesome Again at Santa Anita then to the BC. There's really no point of 3YO summer classics once you've won the TC

Let him get injured and have to be put down, and you'll see why.  The media pundits who despise racing and regard it as animal abuse would be all over it like buddhists on twinkies.  That's to say nothing of all the money they'd be throwing away in the form of his stud fees.  The group which purchased those breeding rights have a say in this, as they should.

onebadrubi

Quote from: SuperSid4Ever on June 18, 2015, 07:31:59 am
Let him get injured and have to be put down, and you'll see why.  The media pundits who despise racing and regard it as animal abuse would be all over it like buddhists on twinkies.  That's to say nothing of all the money they'd be throwing away in the form of his stud fees.  The group which purchased those breeding rights have a say in this, as they should.

No they don't.  The contract was written so zayats could raise him at their will until the end of this calendar year. 

Torqued pork

Ahmed Zayat lives in New Jersey. He may look at the Haskell a bit like an Arkansas owner looks at the Arkansas Derby. It's a very prestigious race and winning it certainly wouldn't harm Pharoah's legacy or Zayat's ego.

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 18, 2015, 09:29:15 am
No they don't.  The contract was written so zayats could raise him at their will until the end of this calendar year.

Let him have to be put down and find out.  As a very minimum, Zayat wouldn't get a dime of any insurance until that group is paid off first.

jdelo77

There are also incentives in this deal , like if he wins the Haskell and If he wins horse of the year !

cbhawg03

Quote from: SuperSid4Ever on June 18, 2015, 07:31:59 am

As others have pointed out, no say at all about him racing.  Zayat's kept a percentage of AP, believe 25%.  Zayat's will get paid regardless whether something happened or not, the insurance would cover the stud company in case of something happening to AP.

cbhawg03

Quote from: Torqued pork on June 18, 2015, 10:54:38 am
Ahmed Zayat lives in New Jersey. He may look at the Haskell a bit like an Arkansas owner looks at the Arkansas Derby. It's a very prestigious race and winning it certainly wouldn't harm Pharoah's legacy or Zayat's ego.

Believe it has been said that Zayat's spend summer at Del Mar

Torqued pork

Quote from: cbhawg03 on June 18, 2015, 01:47:20 pm
Believe it has been said that Zayat's spend summer at Del Mar
I don't blame him. So would I.

CJ HOG

This is the single biggest problem in thoroughbred racing IMO. It has very little STAR POWER, and the staying power of said stars is nonexistent. AP is the greatest CHAMPION to come along in 40 years and you'd have him out on the farm already covering mares for a living. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Historically it was HORSE RACING first and breeding was secondary to said  racing. Now it might as well be HORSE BREEDING with a little racing on the side it seems. WHY? Because there's more MONEY in breeding. Hell, it's more of a race to the breeding barn after a Grade 1 win for most owners.

I apologize for the rant, it just bothers me to no end. I don't see it ever changing which is even worse.

Kentucky Derby winners alone (not including other TC race winners or Grade 1 winners) since 2000:
Only 5 of 15 raced past their 3YO campaign.(33%)
Two were geldings, no breeding value. 3 of 15 (20%)
Giacomo ran as 4YO and California Chrome this year.

Animal Kingdom is only non gelding to race as a 5YO. This was done to bolster his breeding resume IMO as his breeding was one of turf runners not dirt.
Interestingly enough, Animal Kingdom is the only KD winner to win a Grade 1 race as a 5YO EVER. (for the trivia buffs)

cbhawg03

Quote from: CJ HOG on June 18, 2015, 04:03:40 pm
This is the single biggest problem in thoroughbred racing IMO. It has very little STAR POWER, and the staying power of said stars is nonexistent. AP is the greatest CHAMPION to come along in 40 years and you'd have him out on the farm already covering mares for a living. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Historically it was HORSE RACING first and breeding was secondary to said  racing. Now it might as well be HORSE BREEDING with a little racing on the side it seems. WHY? Because there's more MONEY in breeding. Hell, it's more of a race to the breeding barn after a Grade 1 win for most owners.

I apologize for the rant, it just bothers me to no end. I don't see it ever changing which is even worse.

Kentucky Derby winners alone (not including other TC race winners or Grade 1 winners) since 2000:
Only 5 of 15 raced past their 3YO campaign.(33%)
Two were geldings, no breeding value. 3 of 15 (20%)
Giacomo ran as 4YO and California Chrome this year.

Animal Kingdom is only non gelding to race as a 5YO. This was done to bolster his breeding resume IMO as his breeding was one of turf runners not dirt.
Interestingly enough, Animal Kingdom is the only KD winner to win a Grade 1 race as a 5YO EVER. (for the trivia buffs)

Agree completely, think the same guy has said its crazy to keep racing him without saying why other than a breakdown could occur.

Want more good racing? Have the better horses run longer and quit worrying about breeding.

HawgWild

Any chance we'll see AP in a turf race before he retires? (You know they did that with Secretariat.) Not saying that AP is Secretariat but he's won on dirt and synthetic, fast and sloppy.

jdelo77

Quote from: HawgWild on June 22, 2015, 03:49:02 pm
Any chance we'll see AP in a turf race before he retires? (You know they did that with Secretariat.) Not saying that AP is Secretariat but he's won on dirt and synthetic, fast and sloppy.

With only two starts left this year doubtful ,the Breeders cup should be his last race !!!

onebadrubi

hogoffate

They have a plan.  I'm guessing "counting backwards" from the BC Classic.  Haskell then Travers or Pacific Classic then one more maybe (haven't looked at calendar that far in advance) then BC Classic.  After that probably goes to stud even though I would like to see him at 4.

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: hogoffate on July 03, 2015, 02:36:20 pm
They have a plan.  I'm guessing "counting backwards" from the BC Classic.  Haskell then Travers or Pacific Classic then one more maybe (haven't looked at calendar that far in advance) then BC Classic.  After that probably goes to stud even though I would like to see him at 4.

I would think they will wait and see how he does after he runs in the Haskell.  I'd imagine they'd prefer to run at Del Mar than back all the way across the country.  Who knows though?