Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Breeders Cup Selections

Started by cbhawg03, October 30, 2013, 08:58:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cbhawg03

The day starts with the much-maligned but utterly harmless Marathon. The race was a noble idea that has failed to spark a renaissance of interest or participation in long-distance American racing, and which this year also has failed to attract any proven long-winded European types. I picked the race Cease, Pool Play, Blueskiesnrainbows, and London Bridge, and have roughly the same confidence as if I had picked any four names out of a hat.

The Juvenile Turf has been won by a European making his American debut in four of its six runnings, and I see no reason that trend should not continue. European grass horses are a notch above ours, just as our horses always have the edge on dirt. Outstrip and Giovanni Boldini look like the best of the Euros, so I picked them one-two in that order, followed by another Euro, Wilshire Boulevard, and the top American, Bobby's Kitten. Other possibilities are the least-accomplished Euro, Shamshon, and the possibly underrated American colt Poker Player.

The Dirt Mile, an iffy proposition with a small field in some years, came up a strong race this year with seven Grade 1 winners including Verrazano and Goldencents, this year's Wood Memorial and Santa Anita Derby winners. They both failed going the classic distances but are perfectly suited to a one-mile race around two turns, the configuration for the Dirt Mile when it is run at Santa Anita. It's useful to think of the race as a shortened route rather than an extended sprint.

If Verrazano repeats his Haskell performance, he'll win by daylight. The pricey horse I'll try to get into the mix with those 3-year-olds is the 7-year-old Hymn Book at 15-1 on the morning line. He makes his second start off a layoff and finished well to be third in the slow-paced Kelso last time out.

The Juvenile Fillies Turf is another invitation to European dominance, and I'm going with the Group 1 winners Chriselliam (Fillies' Mile) and Vorda (Cheveley Park). Unbeaten Al Thakhira has yet to face top company but might be just as good. Among the Americans, Testa Rossi turned in the best performance winning the Miss Grillo. My Conquestadory will be an underlay off her synthetic-track Alcibiades, but deserves respect off a victory over males in the Grade 2 Summer in her racing debut.

And then it's time to sit back and enjoy the race that has appropriately had its name restored to the original Distaff after an unfortunate spell of being called the Ladies' Classic. It's only a six-horse field, but what a trio of favorites: Royal Delta, already a dual Eclipse winner, trying for her third straight victory in the race; Princess of Sylmar, who upset Royal Delta in the Beldame after sweeping the Kentucky Oaks, CCA Oaks, and Alabama; and Beholder, last year's champion 2-year-old filly, who will enjoy a home-court advantage.

Princess of Sylmar's mere presence in the race may be the most sporting gesture of the racing season – she could have called it a year after the Beldame and been assured of a divisional title instead of crossing the country. It's hard not to root for her off that alone and she's my pick in the Distaff. The race is filled with strategic intrigue that may well determine the winner. Beholder and Royal Delta have repeatedly run brilliantly when loose on the lead, but they can't both be there, while Princess of Sylmar may need them to hook up early to run them both down late.

showhimthewhip

cbhawg03

cbhawg03

Santa Anita - - Breeders' Cup Friday - - Grade 1 BC Juvenile Turf - - One mile on turf - - Race 7 - - post time 2:25 PT

Taking a European in the Juvenile Turf is often a smart move, as no America-based horse has won the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf when it has been held at Santa Anita.  The connections of the last two winners, the owner/trainer team of Tabor/O'Brien are live with two in here, but we'll side with OUTSTRIP in this event.  He's earned triple digit Racing Post figures in three of his four starts, and I like the fact he graduated at first asking in a field of thirteen.  He'll ship over off a second in a G1 at Newmarket and won two back in a G2 in the UK.  BOBBY'S KITTEN will be the favorite off his sterling New York turf starts, as well as hailing from all-world grass sire Kitten's Joy.  It's a Ramsey production through and through, and he earned a quality figure last time in the Pilgrim. He's logical, but the issue with him is pace: front runners like BOBBY'S KITTEN have not much success in one mile turf races at Santa Anita (especially when the rail is at zero), and he'll be facing quality European closers.  Still, he's the best of the Americans.  GIOVANNI BOLDINI goes for the aforementioned Tabor/O'Brien team that won last year with George Vancouver.  He's got two figures that hold up well against this field.  Unlike OUTSTRIP, he's been bouncing between synthetic surfaces and grass and his victories have been on the synthetic (while his lone loss is on grass).  Getting Ryan Moore to ride is a plus, too.

Selections:
#4 OUTSTRIP (4/1)

#5 BOBBY'S KITTEN (5/2)

#2 GIOVANNI BOLDNINI (7/2)

Longshot: #9 WILSHIRE BOULEVARD (8/1) is the "other" O'Brien/Tabor horse in here, and he ships here off a fourth in a French G1 on Arc Day.  Prior to that fourth, he did win a G3 three back and was nosed out in a G2, both coming in Europe.  His figures are a touch lower than those of OUTSTRIP or GIOVANNI BOLDNINI, but he's raced well on courses with give and perhaps the inexperience with a faster and firmer course will keep his price square.  William Buick takes the call, not a huge drop-off from Ryan Moore.

jdelo77

cbhawg03

Quote from: jdelow77 on October 31, 2013, 04:13:06 pm
I love beholder ...

Love the way she is coming into the race, but think this race sets up from Princess or even maybe Authenticity at a price.

mckinneyhog5

November 01, 2013, 12:07:26 am #7 Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 08:48:18 pm by mckinneyhog5
Commander in the BC Marathon
Willshire Boulevard in the BC Juv Turf
Goldencents in Dirt Mile  1st
Testa Rossi in the BC JuvFilTurf 2nd
Princess of Sylmar in the BC Distaff
She's a Tiger in the BCJuvFil. 2nd
Emolientin the FM Turf.
Ismene in FM Sprint.
Mizdirection n the Turf Sprint. 1st
Strong Mandate in the Juvenile.  3rd
The Fugue in the BC Turf.  2nd
Sum of the Parts in the BC Sprint.
Cristoforo Colombo in the BC Mile
Palace Malice in the Classic.

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

cbhawg03

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 01, 2013, 12:07:26 am
Commander in the BC Marathon
Willshire Boulevard in the BC Juv Turf
Goldencents in Dirt Mile
Testa Rossi in the BC JuvFilTurf
Princess of Sylmar in the BC Distaff
She's a Tiger in the BCJuvFil.
Emolientin the FM Turf.
Ismene in FM Sprint.
Mizdirection n the Turf Sprint.
Strong Mandate in the Juvenile.
The Fugue in the BC Turf.
Sum of the Parts in the BC Sprint.
Cristoforo Colombo in the BC Mile
Palace Malice in the Classic.

I am going away from V and Goldencents in the Dirt Mile, as I think they will set it up for someone else.

I like either Pincess or Authenticity to win the Distaff.

I don't think that Emollient has a shot in the F & M Turf. I am now between Romantica, Alterite and Laughing.

Turf Sprint may be the hardest race, as Mizdirection and Reneesgotzip and Caracortado all coming off long layoffs. I know what Mizdirection and Reneesgotzip did last year, but if those three don't fire then you have a wide open race.

I don't know if Strong Mandate can be trusted. Lukas blames last race on a poor ride so that is the reason for the jock switch.

Hard to argue with The Fugue. I do like Indy Point, Big Blue Kitten though. Also probably have to throw in Magician.

Sprint I will go with Bahamian Squall.

The Mile, well I will go with a Wise Dan and No Jet Lag exacta.

I am going with Will Take Charge. Exacta Box WTC, Fort Larned and MMM.

showhimthewhip

Commander in the Marathon
Outstrip in the juvy turf
V in the dirt mile
Al Thakhira in the juvy fillies turf
unloaded on Beholder in the Distaff

cbhawg03

November 01, 2013, 01:50:55 pm #10 Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 02:38:58 pm by cbrooks03
Race 3 $0.50 Pick 4

2 , 9 at 47/1 wt 6 , 10 at 8/1 wt 2 , 3 wt 3 , 4 , 6

kingoftherapids

Marathon is wide open.    i am going exacta 7,4 with 7,4,2,10 and reversed. anybody playing this wide open afair

yraciv

Went with a 7-8 box, but it is a crapshoot.

jdelo77

Good call on that exacta , the marathon is such a crap shoot ...

cbhawg03

Quote from: yraciv on November 01, 2013, 03:43:43 pm
Went with a 7-8 box, but it is a crapshoot.

Good call. KOR, hope you played that 7.

$0.50 Pick 4 paid over $25k

jdelo77

I love the 4 here

Exacta 4/5,9,11

kingoftherapids

Great call on that 7-8 exacta. I had the 7, but i need another couple races to cash on it. I love the breeders cup. these odds are just awesome.

this race (juv turf) i am am going 2-5-8-4. i like the 8 as a longshot. throwing in your 4 here jdelow. lets whack em fellas.

yraciv

Nice start! Certainly not playing Bobby's Kitten at 6-5 in this one.

yraciv

4,9,12 exacta box. Play the Europeans!

jdelo77

I agree euros ! I'm throwing the 2 on bottom as well

jdelo77

Good thing I threw the 2 under him !

kingoftherapids

BAM! thatnks for the 4! heck of a call. Bobbie's kitten is one tough horse! those fractions were insane!

showhimthewhip

yraciv

Quote from: jdelow77 on November 01, 2013, 04:31:18 pm
Good thing I threw the 2 under him !

Yeah thought about it, but thought he might get boxed.

kingoftherapids

first time i have ever hit a 4 horse box super in the breeders cup. i might as well retire

cbhawg03

Quote from: kingoftherapids on November 01, 2013, 04:12:06 pm
Great call on that 7-8 exacta. I had the 7, but i need another couple races to cash on it. I love the breeders cup. these odds are just awesome.

this race (juv turf) i am am going 2-5-8-4. i like the 8 as a longshot. throwing in your 4 here jdelow. lets whack em fellas.

I didn't listen to the 8. I had the 4 picked and just played it to win.

jdelo77

Outstrip stood out in the post parade big time ! Those fractions were hot , and mike smith handled him great ...

showhimthewhip

Quote from: kingoftherapids on November 01, 2013, 04:34:28 pm
first time i have ever hit a 4 horse box super in the breeders cup. i might as well retire

Nice job kotr

cbhawg03

I'm going with Goldencents here

jdelo77

Playing a 7,10,11,12 super here

yraciv

Going with a win ticket on Hymn Book here, and boxing the 4 and 5.

HogFanInBryant

I hope I don't regret getting off Hymn Book, but taking a shot here and going with #9 CI......playing $15wps.

jdelo77

does Alpha have a chance here ?

kingoftherapids

All i have here is 10,4,5 to hit the pick 3 and be alive thru two of another... not doing anything except rooting for these 3 and starting another pick 3 wager.

cbhawg03

Trifecta 11 , 12 wt 2 , 4 , 11 , 12 wt 2 , 4 , 11 , 12

showhimthewhip

10 win, and 4 show... Couldn't help including him at 7-1

showhimthewhip

kingoftherapids

Quote from: cbrooks03 on November 01, 2013, 05:02:07 pm
Trifecta 11 , 12 wt 2 , 4 , 11 , 12 wt 2 , 4 , 11 , 12
Heck of a call and Great payout considering!

cbhawg03

Thanks KOR

Who you guys got here?

cbhawg03

I can see 2, 4, 6, 8, 11, 12 or 14 winning.

Wide open

kingoftherapids

i am going with 14,6. chalk but i like them over the others. longshots for me are the 4 and 11.

yraciv

Sticking with the Europeans going 8-10-12 in an exacta box.
Longshot Trifecta Play 8,10,14/6,8/5,9

jdelo77

Love the 6 here
6/14 ex
Tri 6 wt 14,5,2,4 wt 14,5,2,4

jdelo77

showhimthewhip

cbhawg03

kingoftherapids

Quote from: yraciv on November 01, 2013, 05:46:00 pm
Sticking with the Europeans going 8-10-12 in an exacta box.
Longshot Trifecta Play 8,10,14/6,8/5,9
Hashtag euros! lol nice exacta!

cbhawg03

I kept looking at that 8 horse, but didn't like that not many have liked her when she ran in Europe.

8/1
5/1
5.5/1
28/1
6/1

Never much respect

cbhawg03

IMO Speed is king at SA today.

So thus the question, which old man is going to the front? Mike Smith or Gary Stevens?

That is the winner IMO

yraciv

Calling it a day on that. Six horse field with heavy favorites just doesn't entice me. I'd go with Beholder over Royal Delta in the Distaff, but not touching it.