Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 triple crown

Started by songofthesword, January 19, 2013, 12:36:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

songofthesword

i'm ready for this already. the bug hits me around this time every year. though i don't see anything worth a crap out there to get excited about yet. hopefully we get to see something Monday

HogFanInBryant

SOS.......you still hate 3 yr olds who prep in Fla?

songofthesword

is pel still a crappy coach lol?

the only horse i'm quazi interested in seeing is Normady invasion and im' hoping to god that they do not send him south

The Hog

I read over the weekend that OP and Santa Anita offer the most points for the road to the Kentucky Derby.  Both have 289 points to win.  Not sure about other tracks.  Anybody know the full allocation by track for the points?
Automatic RUN!

The Hog

Quote from: songofthesword on January 19, 2013, 12:36:30 pm
i'm ready for this already. the bug hits me around this time every year. though i don't see anything worth a crap out there to get excited about yet. hopefully we get to see something Monday
Your take on Oxbow's breeding?
Automatic RUN!

songofthesword

by awesome again but more importantly the dam is a full sister to tiznow. couldn't write a better classic pedigree.

The Hog

Quote from: songofthesword on January 25, 2013, 05:41:20 pm
by awesome again but more importantly the dam is a full sister to tiznow. couldn't write a better classic pedigree.
My son pick this horse out months ago just based on the exact same finding.  He says he will only get better with distance.
Automatic RUN!

songofthesword

i actually like the bern idenity today in the holy bull. he was the pre fav for the BC not shanghi before he got injured. he's back now.

songofthesword

it's my lucky day wins the holy bull."{

SB isn't going 10F. no way in hell. i'd point him towards the sprints now.

songofthesword

and this is exatly why i love the new road to the derby format.  you can already cross out basically one dead to rights sprinter whose in the race on name  only. we are getting closer and closer to having a real horse race on the first Saturday in may

screw the breeders cup juve / 2YO champion. win a damn prep like everyone else.

The Hog

Quote from: The Hog on January 26, 2013, 09:34:43 am
My son pick this horse out months ago just based on the exact same finding.  He says he will only get better with distance.
He said Lucas has another colt with almost the breeding connections.  Full brother to Paynter.  You know who he might be talking about?  He cannot remember his name.
Automatic RUN!

songofthesword

Quote from: The Hog on January 27, 2013, 07:03:32 am
He said Lucas has another colt with almost the breeding connections.  Full brother to Paynter.  You know who he might be talking about?  He cannot remember his name.
the horses name is fire flight. but he hasn't hit the board in 2 races

cbhawg03

Lukas best horse suppose to be Titletown Five

The Hog

Quote from: songofthesword on January 26, 2013, 04:23:11 pm
and this is exatly why i love the new road to the derby format.  you can already cross out basically one dead to rights sprinter whose in the race on name  only. we are getting closer and closer to having a real horse race on the first Saturday in may

screw the breeders cup juve / 2YO champion. win a damn prep like everyone else.
You might be correct about Bobby but it took a track record to beat him.  I will wait and see how Rosie's horse runs in the Florida Derby.  Then I will decide.

Right now I like Oxbow but I need to see more.
Automatic RUN!

songofthesword

we can copy and paste this discussion every freaking year lol.  they break the track record every year in 3YO races that's why pletcher sends them down there they soup up hte track which is why i don't like gulfstream horses they are inflated and sore from running on a rock hard track.

The Hog

Quote from: songofthesword on January 29, 2013, 08:35:52 am
we can copy and paste this discussion every freaking year lol.  they break the track record every year in 3YO races that's why pletcher sends them down there they soup up hte track which is why i don't like gulfstream horses they are inflated and sore from running on a rock hard track.
But the Beyer numbers translate across tracks.  Not just a number for GP.
Automatic RUN!

songofthesword

Quote from: The Hog on January 30, 2013, 06:27:57 am
But the Beyer numbers translate across tracks.  Not just a number for GP.
again we can copy and paste the convo lol.  if you think quality road actually ran a 110 beyer in 2008 at gulfstream and dunkirk ran a 108 than i got some enron stock to sale you.

songofthesword

i had a pretty long heated dicussion with someone who is smarter than i am when it comes to pedgiree and i'm off oxbow's pedigree now. he won the argument lol.

The Hog

February 01, 2013, 06:40:53 am #19 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:07:23 am by The Hog
Quote from: songofthesword on January 30, 2013, 01:23:00 pm
again we can copy and paste the convo lol.  if you think quality road actually ran a 110 beyer in 2008 at gulfstream and dunkirk ran a 108 than i got some enron stock to sale you.
He did on that day and that day only.  No guarantee he will repeat it.  Just an attempt to quantify a race.  Best method by far for those who like numbers to compare across tracks.  I use a combination of info.  Besides, QR was a horse with a head case. 

Like handicapping using pedigree, it is a tool.  Pace numbers, same.  Competition of the race and class rating work well for me and add Beyer numbers, ped for stakes races, etc.  How do you handicap a 5K claiming race?  You can't use pedigree.  This horse has hit almost bottom and ped has nothing to bring to the table.  I hear folks at the track make comments on at 5K race that the horse has XYZ blood lines and he is running at 5K.  Read pedigree on that horse. LOL
Automatic RUN!

SixtySecondsOfPitino

I can understand factoring in DP when mixing and matching which stallion to breed with which mare, but does anyone really factor in the DP when handicapping?

cram224

When handicapping 2 and 3 year old races, and breeding for that matter, I like horses that are sired by great milers. Seems like horses get the distance from the bottom side of the pedigree. Mile races horses, most of the time have to run all out the whole race, very little to relax and settle into the race. Oaklawn's mile races are double tough. Short distance to first turn and the stretch is not very long. But most mile races are like that and that's what I look at in breeding.

songofthesword

Quote from: cram224 on February 07, 2013, 08:10:39 am
When handicapping 2 and 3 year old races, and breeding for that matter, I like horses that are sired by great milers. Seems like horses get the distance from the bottom side of the pedigree. Mile races horses, most of the time have to run all out the whole race, very little to relax and settle into the race. Oaklawn's mile races are double tough. Short distance to first turn and the stretch is not very long. But most mile races are like that and that's what I look at in breeding.
listen to this man.

that's why milers are always so hot at stud.  they generally make the best sires.  I'd rather bred to a crappy pedigree but uber talented miler  (say, kipling for instance sire of kip deville) than a fancy bred but pretty pedestrian classic horse (say, super saver for instance).

Distorted Humor, Elusive Quality, darn even Dynaformer, all milers.

It's not a law but more times than not a horse gets his speed from the top and his stamina from the bottom (i.e big red)

so beucase of that dosage points damn well do matter if they have never ran.  It's a good indicator of what they will be willing to do.  There are other factors as well.. the trainer, the workout routine the horse has, the horses build, etc but it's def. a factor.

SixtySecondsOfPitino

Thanks Cram and SotS.  Enjoy the info from guys like y'all.

cram224

Seattle Slew Line on top.
Mr. Prospector on bottom.  One of the best crosses for sires all time.

songofthesword

Quote from: cram224 on February 08, 2013, 05:36:39 pm
Seattle Slew Line on top.
Mr. Prospector on bottom.  One of the best c Unbridled, Gulch, Forty Niner, Machlivichian, Kingmambo, Smart Strike, I'm all in. in particular on turf.  Mr P is an excellent turf dam sire for some reason.

Seeking the Gold, Gone West, E Dubai, Carson City, etc i'm out on.

cram224

Whats been best, has been sons of Seattle Slew with daughters of Mr. P. I thought Tomisue's Delight was the best yearly filly I have ever seen. This cross seems like produces more filly's for some reason.

cram224

I have not posted in this discussion very much. Just wondering, how many that posts on "Horse Racing" own or raced horses? What was your biggest win. My self was lucky to have won a few stakes, the best was the Ky. Oaks.

Horse racer

You ran in the Oaks ? That's impressive ! I have owned horses since 05. Had some success had some bust.

songofthesword

I'm a young guy (29). I bought my first broodmare in 2011 she had a weaning at the time who is now 2, by siphon. Her name is My nin she's a half brother to ben's cat.  i determined early on i am not a fan of sales i'd rather wait and race them myself.

SixtySecondsOfPitino

Quote from: songofthesword on February 10, 2013, 10:56:33 am
I'm a young guy (29). I bought my first broodmare in 2011 she had a weaning at the time who is now 2, by siphon. Her name is My nin she's a half brother to ben's cat.  i determined early on i am not a fan of sales i'd rather wait and race them myself.

Kind of in the same boat.  I'm a handful of years younger than you, but I am in the process of scouting potential broodmares to buy.  Know some Arkie-bred owners that have $30 a day trainers and never win jack.  I know what I do not want to do at least.

Do you board your horse elsewhere, or do you have some land?

cram224

As an owner, you will experience some of the highest highs and the lowest lows. But, all in all, I have enjoyed owning horses. Tried to keep and own a few broodmares, I think a person needs to decide if he wants to be a breeder or own horses strictly for racing. It's just an expensive sport.

songofthesword

Quote from: SixtySecondsOfPitino on February 10, 2013, 11:06:11 am
Kind of in the same boat.  I'm a handful of years younger than you, but I am in the process of scouting potential broodmares to buy.  Know some Arkie-bred owners that have $30 a day trainers and never win jack.  I know what I do not want to do at least.

Do you board your horse elsewhere, or do you have some land?
i live in lexingotn. my GF works at a farm up here and I get a pretty kick ass day rate. but if we ever break up I'm up a creek lol

userpick

Quote from: songofthesword on February 11, 2013, 08:52:59 pm
i live in lexingotn. my GF works at a farm up here and I get a pretty kick ass day rate. but if we ever break up I'm up a creek lol

Time to put a ring on it then, no?

songofthesword

Quote from: userpick on February 11, 2013, 09:40:17 pm
Time to put a ring on it then, no?
i've toyed with the idea but my mantra is if you have to think about it she's not the one. at least not yet she isn't.  i'm still thinking about it.  As much as i love my horses I'm not getting married to secure a good rate on board.  knowing my luck i'd get a divorce and she'd get the horses anyway