Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Barford, Macon not invited to combine

Started by Biggus Piggus, April 30, 2017, 03:13:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

hawginbigd1

hogwood

Kingsley was invited last year right? He doesn't appear to be invited this year.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hogwood on April 30, 2017, 05:01:27 pm
Kingsley was invited last year right? He doesn't appear to be invited this year.

No he wasn't invited either year

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

jry04

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 30, 2017, 05:28:24 pm
So are they both coming back?
Barford was always coming back. I do not think Macon's decision is based on the NBA because he had 0 chance of making the NBA when he declared. He is probably hearing out what he can do overseas.

reddawg213

swinesation

Surprised Moses didn't get invited. Sucks for him.

mbgrulz

Quote from: swinesation on April 30, 2017, 06:31:06 pm
Surprised Moses didn't get invited. Sucks for him.
Not skilled enough to be a 4 and not big enough to be a 5. That's been pretty obvious to me. He was a very good college player though.

RazorPiggie

They aren't good enough to be invited yet.

FineAsSwine

Hope Barford and Macon get the feedback they were looking for and come back and work on improving their stock for next year.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogwood

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 30, 2017, 05:17:25 pm
No he wasn't invited either year

What was the event he went to last summer where he got feedback from NBA scouts? I suppose Macon and Barford could still go to that one if Moses went last year.

jry04

Quote from: hogwood on April 30, 2017, 09:53:28 pm
What was the event he went to last summer where he got feedback from NBA scouts? I suppose Macon and Barford could still go to that one if Moses went last year.
He worked out for the Celtics in a private workout. He also went to a Nike camp where the top returning college players were invited.

Razorbackers

Kingsley could get a shot in the NBA still, I think. He's going to be a hot commodity in the major European leagues.

Barford and Macon both need to come back. Don't think Macon does. But another year to develop + your degree. There's not a lot of money in playing in Iraq.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: jry04 on April 30, 2017, 05:30:56 pm
Barford was always coming back. I do not think Macon's decision is based on the NBA because he had 0 chance of making the NBA when he declared. He is probably hearing out what he can do overseas.

It still surprises me that it's Macon with one foot out the door and not Barford. I thought for sure with Macon's love for the hogs and chip on his shoulder to "bring us back" would have him willing to stay. Barford doesn't really have that connection and has a young kid so it would seem he would be more apt to make a move overseas.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 01, 2017, 08:34:13 am
It still surprises me that it's Macon with one foot out the door and not Barford. I thought for sure with Macon's love for the hogs and chip on his shoulder to "bring us back" would have him willing to stay. Barford doesn't really have that connection and has a young kid so it would seem he would be more apt to make a move overseas.

I thought the same way. All Macon talked about was how much he loved Arkansas and how he would put us back on the map in College BB.

onebadrubi

It was often reported that Macon was close to monk.  I wonder if watching monk go and all the hype has had any effect on Macon.

jry04

Quote from: Razorbackers on May 01, 2017, 08:25:17 am
Kingsley could get a shot in the NBA still, I think. He's going to be a hot commodity in the major European leagues.

Barford and Macon both need to come back. Don't think Macon does. But another year to develop + your degree. There's not a lot of money in playing in Iraq.
There are plenty of Kingsley type players playing overseas that we have never heard of.

NWAHog479

If Joel Berry II pulled his name out of the draft........

ShadowHawg

Quote from: jry04 on April 30, 2017, 05:30:56 pm

Why didn't he hire an agent?

azhog10

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 01, 2017, 10:17:12 am
It was often reported that Macon was close to monk.  I wonder if watching monk go and all the hype has had any effect on Macon.
By whom? These two never played club together. I don't think they played against each other in high school. I guess it's possible being from a smaller state. But first I'vee heard of them being real close.

HF#1

I told y'all about Macon in that other thread. It's probably 50/50 if he returns to school or goes overseas to play.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Will coming back for another year improve the draft stock of ANY player who declared early, but has yet to hire an agent?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on May 01, 2017, 02:20:33 pm
Will coming back for another year improve the draft stock of ANY player who declared early, but has yet to hire an agent?

Maybe not. But will probably increase overseas stock.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 01, 2017, 02:32:04 pm
Maybe not. But will probably increase overseas stock.

All I see in basketball is another year is just that many more players in the market.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on May 01, 2017, 02:47:03 pm
All I see in basketball is another year is just that many more players in the market.

Sure. Doesn't mean you can't improve your stock and put yourself in a better position. It seems to me like you are very eager to reach this ultimate conclusion that it is pointless for Macon to return for his senior season, and that simply isn't true. That may be the decision he reaches, but there are certainly plenty of reasons to come back and will better his position both in life and as a basketball player. Players will always be on the market in big numbers. But that will never change regardless of when he goes pro.

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 01, 2017, 03:04:45 pm
Sure. Doesn't mean you can't improve your stock and put yourself in a better position. It seems to me like you are very eager to reach this ultimate conclusion that it is pointless for Macon to return for his senior season, and that simply isn't true. That may be the decision he reaches, but there are certainly plenty of reasons to come back and will better his position both in life and as a basketball player. Players will always be on the market in big numbers. But that will never change regardless of when he goes pro.
Plenty of reasons for him to come back, but it isn't a forgone conclusion that his stock improves in basketball. He can come back and get hurt, he can come back and regress, etc. Returning doesn't always increase your stock. It would appear he can only go up because his stock clearly is not that high right now. However, another year allows scouts to pick apart your game even more. The more game film you give someone the more chances you have of exposing weaknesses in your game. I think returning would definitely help him, but I also see why he would leave and take the money now, but that is mostly because I have made my point known that I do not think his stock gets much higher. I do think if he returns he will become a better player, though. I am just not sure how much better he would have to get for it to be a significant difference in salary.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 01, 2017, 03:04:45 pm

Not at all. Coming back and getting a degree will help him life, no doubt. I just am not sure it helps him in basketball, IF playing beyond college is his goal.

PorkRinds

Quote from: azhog10 on May 01, 2017, 01:58:57 pm
By whom? These two never played club together. I don't think they played against each other in high school. I guess it's possible being from a smaller state. But first I'vee heard of them being real close.

I read that too. Said monk and Macon text quote a bit and are buddies. It was around the time of the game with U.K. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: azhog10 on May 01, 2017, 01:58:57 pm

It was said in interviews with each leading up to one of the Uk games.  Macon said we prolly won't talk for a few days before

Arthur pigby sellers.

If Macon and Barford can make similar improvements between their junior and senior years that we've witnessed from other JUCO players then they may get drafted.

ShadowHawg

Do those who question whether coming back as a senior being a help even watch college basketball?

Just last season Buddy Hield improved his draft stock significantly.

So yes, it has a high potential to help if the players improve from year to year. Shouldn't even be on question.

jry04

Quote from: ShadowHawg on May 01, 2017, 09:48:56 pm
Do those who question whether coming back as a senior being a help even watch college basketball?

Just last season Buddy Hield improved his draft stock significantly.

So yes, it has a high potential to help if the players improve from year to year. Shouldn't even be on question.
It is easy to pull out examples to help each side. To be so condescending about it is hilarious. Moses came back and what did it get him? He provided more game film for his game to be picked apart and wasn't even considered a NBA prospect. But I thought returning automatically helps your stock?!?!?!

I am not sure Moses really improved.

azhog10

Quote from: jry04 on May 01, 2017, 10:07:18 pm
It is easy to pull out examples to help each side. To be so condescending about it is hilarious. Moses came back and what did it get him? He provided more game film for his game to be picked apart and wasn't even considered a NBA prospect. But I thought returning automatically helps your stock?!?!?!

I am not sure Moses really improved.
All about what you do with the extra year. Moses started the season playing well outside what made him so valuable. We all said it's bc NBA scouts were telling him he needed to do it. But what we do know is when he stopped forcing he was much better.

It all comes down to what you do that extra year. So you are right, but shadow is right as well. An extra year has helped people immensely. Just depends on how you spend the extra summer.

micali

So what is the time frame for their decisions.?

jry04

May 02, 2017, 07:34:13 am #36 Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:45:55 am by jry04
Quote from: azhog10 on May 02, 2017, 12:02:16 am
All about what you do with the extra year. Moses started the season playing well outside what made him so valuable. We all said it's bc NBA scouts were telling him he needed to do it. But what we do know is when he stopped forcing he was much better.

It all comes down to what you do that extra year. So you are right, but shadow is right as well. An extra year has helped people immensely. Just depends on how you spend the extra summer.
Yes, but we shouldn't act as if it is a certainty. There have been plenty of players who have returned to school and fell in the draft, failed to develop like their teams hoped, etc.

To wonder if anyone who thinks there is a small chance Macon may not improve his stock even watches college basketball is silly to me. I think Macon improves, but I would be willing to say almost nobody in this thread even has a clue what Macon's stock is now or what it could  be after another year of college for Europe. I know I certainly don't.

jry04

Quote from: micali on May 02, 2017, 07:09:56 am
So what is the time frame for their decisions.?
They have until 10 days after the combine ends, so May 14th. I would hope we hear something much sooner than that considering they have nothing to do with the combine.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on May 01, 2017, 03:37:37 pm
Not at all. Coming back and getting a degree will help him life, no doubt. I just am not sure it helps him in basketball, IF playing beyond college is his goal.

I guess I just look at in a more obvious way. Are there things that Macon can improve upon? If so, then it would probably serve him well to come back, display these improvements while also displaying the things everyone knows he can do well in a feature role (his role fluctuated last season), get his degree (or come closer to getting his degree), and make himself more attractive to the overseas market. It is very hard to imagine his coming back for a big senior season as hurting his overseas stock. I think he can only improve it. His NBA stock? Might not matter. He might be what he is in their eyes. But the difference in playing in Japan (where Alandise Harris ended up) and playing in a league in Germany or Spain is pretty substantial. To me, he is actually losing money but playing professionally in a crap league next year rather than coming back in playing a feature role for an SEC team on the rise (we hope, right?). That's just my take. 

azhog10

Quote from: jry04 on May 02, 2017, 07:34:13 am
Yes, but we shouldn't act as if it is a certainty. There have been plenty of players who have returned to school and fell in the draft, failed to develop like their teams hoped, etc.

To wonder if anyone who thinks there is a small chance Macon may not improve his stock even watches college basketball is silly to me. I think Macon improves, but I would be willing to say almost nobody in this thread even has a clue what Macon's stock is now or what it could  be after another year of college for Europe. I know I certainly don't.
Nothing is certain. A friend of mine is a scout for the Rockets (he's a girls high school coach and gets flown out to games in the region pretty sweet gig) and he has seen Macon a few times. Said the knock on him is his floor vision. He said the rockets would look at him as a Beverly type player. Serviceable scorer but want to see him be a lock down defender. They believe he can direct an offense, and on the flip side with Barford want to see him cut his TO's down and his shooting become more consistent. He said both of them are guys they have on their radar and think both could see their stock rise if they came back for a year. Also mentioned that waiting one more year before going overseas would be smart for the same reasons. In Europe you have to be an effective shooter to get longevity and he said Macon's defensive game wouldn't last over there.

That's one guys take obviously but he believes if both put in quality work in the summer and improve in those areas they could see a shot in the summer somewhere but most importantly a bigger contract overseas.

MB Hog

Quote from: azhog10 on May 02, 2017, 10:03:28 am
Nothing is certain. A friend of mine is a scout for the Rockets (he's a girls high school coach and gets flown out to games in the region pretty sweet gig) and he has seen Macon a few times. Said the knock on him is his floor vision. He said the rockets would look at him as a Beverly type player. Serviceable scorer but want to see him be a lock down defender. They believe he can direct an offense, and on the flip side with Barford want to see him cut his TO's down and his shooting become more consistent. He said both of them are guys they have on their radar and think both could see their stock rise if they came back for a year. Also mentioned that waiting one more year before going overseas would be smart for the same reasons. In Europe you have to be an effective shooter to get longevity and he said Macon's defensive game wouldn't last over there.

That's one guys take obviously but he believes if both put in quality work in the summer and improve in those areas they could see a shot in the summer somewhere but most importantly a bigger contract overseas.
Do we know the extent of the kind of advice the NBA gives to the players?  Is it strictly about what they should work on and whether they are likely to be drafted?  Or do they also give thoughts on whether the player would be better off going back to college ball vs playing overseas? 

For example, might they tell Macon that he's not ready this year, but he's on the radar for next year and he would be best served to play another year of college ball... OR that they just don't see his skill set translating to the NBA after his senior year either, so he might as well go ahead and start making money overseas now?

sickboy

Quote from: HF#1 on May 01, 2017, 02:05:46 pm
I told y'all about Macon in that other thread. It's probably 50/50 if he returns to school or goes overseas to play.

Soooooooo... you don't know which way he's leaning.

onebadrubi

Quote from: sickboy on May 02, 2017, 02:36:55 pm
Soooooooo... you don't know which way he's leaning.

Lol I love when someone puts out percentage.  There is no difference in 10/90, 25/75, 51/49, etc. 

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

azhog10

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 02, 2017, 03:45:17 pm
Lol I love when someone puts out percentage.  There is no difference in 10/90, 25/75, 51/49, etc.

It's like that ridiculous "win probability" that espn runs on its website during games.  Teams with a 99% chance of winning get beat on occasion.  And the probability changes constantly during the game depending on how the teams are doing.  So what's the freaking point??

(Cue benny and Erie and all the stats geeks in 3...2...1...)
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Soooie21

Is Macon going to class..that would tell alot..

Letsroll1200

wavybone

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 01, 2017, 08:34:13 am
Indeed, though I would argue Barford has more of a chance to come back, improve, and make the NBA. Macon is pretty close to his ceiling, Barford still has lots of room for improvement.