Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ASU is getting a reputation...

Started by Ugly Uncle, December 11, 2013, 10:29:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2013, 09:37:30 am
Prove it, post direct conversations and recordings, otherwise you are just repeating what has been said on message boards and in the paper.
I don't have to prove anything to you.

You call your friends on the staff at Auburn and Ole Miss, and see what they have to say. Then if you want to record them and to post it here go ahead. 

It will be what I said, and you will probably not be their friend anymore.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 09:04:17 am
They said so, and are telling other coaches asking them about the current opening.

They are telling everyone that they liked everything about ASU, the school, the Administration, and the community, and they would only have left ASU for the job they got, their destination/dream job. May not be true but it carries weight with coaches that are asking.

They also telling everyone that you can win and win big at ASU........right now, because they recruited the players at ASU.

A coach at Ole Miss told me that one coach who is on record as not being interested, but after talking to Malzahn and Freeze, is very interested, and told his agent he would like the job, and would take a pay cut to get it.

The coaching community is much tighter than most fans think, most never make a move without talking to other coaches, and right now ASU is the hot ticket to the big show, and Freeze, Malzahn and also Harsin are letting those that ask know it, and a lot are asking

They said so? A coach said something about a job and you believed them? It carries NO weight what so ever. You also think a coach would say something different about how they recruited for future coaches? Do you honestly think they would ever say "well I don't know if the next coach can win because my recruiting sucked". Do you not realize that coaches are not ALL great talent evaluators. I guess you're not as smart as I thought. The coaching community IS tight but they don't always like or believe each other. Being a tightly held profession doesn't mean the people in that profession sit around singing Kumbaya togeather. I've actually heard coaches staying in my hotels talk bad about other coaches. A coach willing to take a pay cut to go there or anywhere says a LOT about the place or job they are doing where they are currently employed. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Seminole Indian

December 14, 2013, 09:54:52 am #152 Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 10:11:29 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 09:54:14 am
They said so? A coach said something about a job and you believed them? It carries NO weight what soever. You also think a coach would say something different about how they recruited for future coaches? Do you honestly think they would ever say "well I don't know if the next coach can win because my recruiting sucked". Do you not realize that coaches are not ALL great talent evaluators. I guess you're not as smart as I thought. The coaching community IS tight but they don't always like or believe each other. Being a tightly held profession doesn't mean the people in that profession sit around singing Kumbaya togeather. I've actually heard coaches staying in my hotels talk bad about other coaches. A coach willing to take a pay cut to go there or anywhere says a LOT about the place or job they are doing where they are currently employed.
Well I know ASU has at least one high profile coach that now wants the job after talking to Malzahn and Freeze, and suspect there are more.

Also know ASU is prepared to make sure that no coordinator, at the college level has to take a pay cut to take the job, and all but 2-3 would get a nice raise to come on board.

That has really spurred interest because there are not many FBS jobs open this year.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 09:54:52 am

What Dustypig said about coaches and forked tongues is 100% positively, completely true!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 09:59:48 am
What Dustypig said about coaches and forked tongues is 100% positively, completely true!
Well according to people here every coach is, and you may be right, but I have found assistant coaches to be pretty honest, except in recruiting.

If  Malzahn, Freeze, and now Harsin are not telling the truth about ASU when these coaches ask, but it helps ASU land another quality coach, don't think ASU fans will mind.

I do think ASU fans take the  promises not to leave after one year with a grain of salt.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 09:49:23 am
I don't have to prove anything to you.

You call your friends on the staff at Auburn and Ole Miss, and see what they have to say. Then if you want to record them and to post it here go ahead. 

It will be what I said, and you will probably not be their friend anymore.

Like I said, you have no proof, the burden is on you. I only know Tim Horton on Auburn's staff, so I doubt he would know much on the subject.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 09:54:14 am
They said so? A coach said something about a job and you believed them? It carries NO weight what so ever. You also think a coach would say something different about how they recruited for future coaches? Do you honestly think they would ever say "well I don't know if the next coach can win because my recruiting sucked". Do you not realize that coaches are not ALL great talent evaluators. I guess you're not as smart as I thought. The coaching community IS tight but they don't always like or believe each other. Being a tightly held profession doesn't mean the people in that profession sit around singing Kumbaya togeather. I've actually heard coaches staying in my hotels talk bad about other coaches. A coach willing to take a pay cut to go there or anywhere says a LOT about the place or job they are doing where they are currently employed.

Wanted to check with someone before responding, but for the most part the really good ones are, and they all look at films( in ASUs case especially the Missouri and Auburn game, where ASU  put up over 900 yards of offense in those games).

Apparently what they saw, or think they saw is a big plus for ASU this go around.

Inhogswetrust

December 14, 2013, 10:47:56 am #157 Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 11:05:36 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 10:09:30 am
Well according to people here every coach is, and you may be right, but I have found assistant coaches to be pretty honest, except in recruiting.

If  Malzahn, Freeze, and now Harsin are not telling the truth about ASU when these coaches ask, but it helps ASU land another quality coach, don't think ASU fans will mind.

I do think ASU fans take the  promises not to leave after one year with a grain of salt.

I've known and do know several assistant and head coaches over the years. SOME I trust implicitly what they say and others I've known I don't. The problem is the general public really has little to no clue what coaches go through. So IF one is a little "shady" then I can sometimes understand why. But the general pubic may not understand why so much. I had a head coach I know of a college team just last night tell me "I think we'll be fine". All the time I knew that was probably not accurate but I expected him to say pretty much exactly what he said and I don't fault him for it. However IF the average person walking the street asked him that and got the same response I did and things didn't turn out as the coach said they would think he is a liar. Coaches are like politicians they have to be very protective of what they say and who they say it too. It comes with the territory. It's also why unless you know one personally then it is best to be careful what you belive when they say something.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2013, 10:36:18 am
Like I said, you have no proof, the burden is on you. I only know Tim Horton on Auburn's staff, so I doubt he would know much on the subject.
Actually that's a great person to call,so call him, and he will tell you exactly what Malzahn told him about the job, this year and last.

Just don't mention that Malzahn is not telling the truth, ASU is a hell hole, and he cannot win there, especially with the recruits Malzahn, Freeze and Harsin left, because I don't think he will believe you. Not at all, and for others here he is pretty good at recognizing talent.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 10:46:07 am
Wanted to check with someone before responding, but for the most part the really good ones are, and they all look at films( in ASUs case especially the Missouri and Auburn game, where ASU  put up over 900 yards of offense in those games).

Apparently what they saw, or think they saw is a big plus for ASU this go around.

Sure the really good one's are good talent evaluators. That's obviously part of what makes them good. Doesn't always make them right. I can understand that watching films being a plus for them now since they won a lot of games recently, but that means they watched film to get their OWN take on things instead of implicitly believing what they were told.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 10:47:56 am
I've known and do know several assistant and head coaches over the years. SOME I trust implicitly what they say and others I've known I don't. The problem is the general public really has little to no clue what coaches go through. So IF one is a little "shady" then I can sometimes understand why. But the general pubic may not understand why so much. I had a head coach I know of a college team just last night tell me "I think we'll be fine". All the time I knew that was probably not accurate but I expected him to say pretty much exactly what he said and I don't fault him for it. However IF the average person walking the street asked him that and got the same response I did and things didn't turn out as the coach said they would think he is a liar. Coaches are like politicians they have to be very protective of what they say and who they say it too. It comes with the territory.
Unlike politicians coaches have to line up and compete against their competition, on the field/court, and in recruiting.

Don't think many fans would be happy campers if their teams coach did not do what was necessary to win( which may mean not being open an honest on every question asked), as long as he did not violate any rules. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 11:04:40 am
Unlike politicians coaches have to line up and compete against their competition, on the field/court, and in recruiting.

Don't think many fans would be happy campers if their teams coach did not do what was necessary to win( which may mean not being open an honest on every question asked), as long as he did not violate any rules. 

Excuse me? You don't think politicians compete with each other? That is what they do best and the most and why they usually talk out of both sides of their mouth depending on who they are talking to. At least most (but not all) coaches truly care about their players individually. Most politicians don't give a rats behind about individuals and before you ask yes I know and have known a LOT of politicians. Some made it to very high offices. Political debate also runs in my family and I've had a lot of them stay in my hotels over the years. You may be surprised why some politicians stay in hotels so much. Well maybe not. Anyway my Grandfathers job depended on who was elected. Unlike some coaches I trust NO politicians. 

P.S. Sorry if that politician thing offends you in some way since I don't know if you are a politician of some sort, you're from a political family or your political feelings or connections.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 10:57:07 am
Sure the really good one's are good talent evaluators. That's obviously part of what makes them good. Doesn't always make them right. I can understand that watching films being a plus for them now since they won a lot of games recently, but that means they watched film to get their OWN take on things instead of implicitly believing what they were told.
I agree 100% and it has been my experience that people that land these million dollar jobs (and ASU is prepared to go over a million this go around), are not fools. Not by a long shot, and that is working to ASUs advantage.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 11:11:24 am
I agree 100% and it has been my experience that people that land these million dollar jobs (and ASU is prepared to go over a million this go around), are not fools. Not by a long shot, and that is working to ASUs advantage.

Well we have had a good discussion here but on this I agree. I'm not sure about that million though. Maybe so. I know one thing. IF they go that much they have to get a big winner.  Good luck to them on that.

nextlevel

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 14, 2013, 08:27:01 am
If Asu goes undefeated in 2015, they can pretty much write their own ticket.

To the Liberty/Independence bowl.

The Sunbelt was weak before CUSA raided it, its just a glorified FCS conference now...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 11:11:03 am
Excuse me? You don't think politicians compete with each other? That is what they do best and the most and why they usually talk out of both sides of their mouth depending on who they are talking to. At least most (but not all) coaches truly care about their players individually. Most politicians don't give a rats behind about individuals and before you ask yes I know and have known a LOT of politicians. Political debate runs in my family. My Grandfathers job depended on who was elected. Unlike some coaches I trust NO politicians.
I've seen some softball games, and basketball games but no I did not know of any athletic contest involving our politicians, and  I have a BA and MA in Political Science (and a BS in Mathematics for those opposed to the Arts).

Let me know when it is on TV because I would like to watch it.

Just kidding and I appreciate the point you were making.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 11:16:28 am
Well we have had a good discussion here but on this I agree. I'm not sure about that million though. Maybe so. I know one thing. IF they go that much they have to get a big winner.  Good luck to them on that.
At least 1.2 for the right guy, and maybe higher. Think the top 2-3 coordinators make in the 1.2-1.3 million range,and one of them may be is interested( that 'is' is  what I've been told), most make less than a million.

Unless they are a current/former HC at a bigger (P5) school, or in the pro's, ASU's next coach will not have to take a pay cut, unless he wants to of course.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 11:23:59 am
At least 1.2 for the right guy, and maybe higher. Think the top 2-3 coordinators make in the 1.2-1.3 million range,and one of them may be is interested( that 'is' is  what I've been told), most make less than a million.

Unless they are a current/former HC at a bigger (P5) school, or in the pro's, ASU's next coach will not have to take a pay cut, unless he wants to of course.

Plan on raising the student fees again like they did on the indoor football facility to pay for one? It was going to be funded by donations, but that went south.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: nextlevel on December 14, 2013, 11:17:14 am

The Sunbelt was weak before CUSA raided it, its just a glorified FCS conference now...

They raided some of the weakest programs in the Sun Belt along with two middle programs, MTSU & WKU.

ASU/Troy/ULL/ULM are still in the conference.

The other conferences added FCS programs as well.

With that said, I'm glad we're in a conference of our peers were we can contend for and win championships.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on December 14, 2013, 11:30:46 am
They raided some of the weakest programs in the Sun Belt along with two middle programs, MTSU & WKU.

ASU/Troy/ULL/ULM are still in the conference.

The other conferences added FCS programs as well.

With that said, I'm glad we're in a conference of our peers were we can contend for and win championships.
Boy that the truth.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2013, 11:30:02 am
Plan on raising the student fees again like they did on the indoor football facility to pay for one? It was going to be funded by donations, but that went south.
Don't know for sure , but probably not. Winning seems to generate 'other sources' of income.

GolfNut57

December 14, 2013, 11:54:48 am #171 Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:04:59 pm by GolfNut57
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 08:07:34 am
Really? ASU can only dream about having a program such as Boise has had. ASU is not the Boise of the south or anywhere. It is ASU of Jonesboro.

I was making the comment tongue in cheek doofus. I have never looked at ASU becoming the BSU of the south and never will. They are as you say, Arkansas State University, that happens to be located in Jonesboro, AR.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 11:52:36 am
Don't know for sure , but probably not. Winning seems to generate 'other sources' of income.

It didn't for the football facility.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 08:11:36 am
ALL of those conferences you listed is a step up from the Sunbelt. It would take a miracle for a sunbelt team to get a BCS invite.  Having no undefeated team from your conferences listed above does not constitute a miracle in and of itself.

The CUSA is hardly a step up imo. They have one advantage over the Belt. Bowl Tie-ins. Nothing else.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Right. It was such a weak conference that the CUSA saw nothing there they wanted to expand their own conference with. Oh wait..........

I will say that it is funny how when the CUSA did come calling they took away some of the weakest teams in the Sunbelt simply because of the TV market those teams were located in. Not because those teams routinely were the Sunbelt conference butt kickers every year. FIU? FAU? Please.....

Hogfaniam

They would've beaten USCw and Missouri on successive weekends.  Attention paid to them by ESPN anyone?
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2013, 11:59:15 am
It didn't for the football facility.
It was going that way before Malzahn left.

Look ASU is like most FBS schools they don't make money on athletics, and have to live within their means. Athletic fees are a part of the deal for most schools, but at least ASU is getting something for their money.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 08:11:36 am
ALL of those conferences you listed is a step up from the Sunbelt. It would take a miracle for a sunbelt team to get a BCS invite.  Having no undefeated team from your conferences listed above does not constitute a miracle in and of itself.

Yes and No.  In reality, outside of the AAC and MWC, the SBC's conference schedule strength will be about the same.  The difference is quality of opponents.  To go 12-0, an SBC team will almost certainly had to have beaten at least one SEC school, maybe more.  We play a much tougher OOC schedule than other leagues do.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2013, 10:36:18 am

I don't trust Seminole's sources at all, but its common knowledge that Gus Malzahn would not have taken the ASU job had Hugh Freeze not called him and encouraged him to take it.  Both coaches pretty much admitted that happened.

Freeze has called and made recommendations each of our last two searches now.  He really  wants us to take Dan Werner this year, though I don't know if we will get more then a courtesy interview.  We know Chad Morris has contacted us as well.  Morris and Malzahn are friends, so I wouldn't put past it that they have spoken.  Though there is no way to prove such a thing.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 01:04:31 pm
It was going that way before Malzahn left.

Look ASU is like most FBS schools they don't make money on athletics, and have to live within their means. Athletic fees are a part of the deal for most schools, but at least ASU is getting something for their money.

What would that be, higher student fees?

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2013, 01:29:00 pm
What would that be, higher student fees?
Again, I don't know, but don't think so, based on what I have heard.

Seminole Indian

Arkstfan, has a nice article on AstateNation.com about how the coaching search at ASU will probably play out. It is based on what the AD, and others involved in the process have said did happen last year and is the process they will again follow. Nice read but you have to be a subscriber to access the article.

Did point out the key role Freeze and Harsin played last year, in forwarding names to ASU, and answering questions about ASU to perspective candidates(know for a fact they are doing it again, and while some  here don't think that means squat, it does big-time, and IMO they are the ones that sold Harsin on the job, and their input may be the deciding factor  again). Also noted that Harsin is most likely doing the same thing.

Did point out that most names we hear about concerning the job will be wrong, and ASU should have a coach next week.

Sivad

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 14, 2013, 08:27:01 am
If Asu goes undefeated in 2015, they can pretty much write their own ticket.
A bus ticket maybe.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Sivad on December 14, 2013, 02:08:05 pm
A bus ticket maybe.
Maybe, but a first class bus ticket for sure, and passing through some pretty country.

Sivad

Inhogswetrust

Aw yes. Colleges may have borrowed that idea from politicians in office. It's kind of like taxes. Raise the tax (FEE) to pay for something specific on everybody you govern including those that doesn't want, or care about or will ever use that item. Here's a shocker for some. Not ALL students care if their school has athletics are not. Believe it or not there are actually some students that are studying during athletic events!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 01:47:37 pm
Arkstfan, has a nice article on AstateNation.com about how the coaching search at ASU will probably play out. It is based on what the AD, and others involved in the process have said did happen last year and is the process they will again follow. Nice read but you have to be a subscriber to access the article.

Did point out the key role Freeze and Harsin played last year, in forwarding names to ASU, and answering questions about ASU to perspective candidates(know for a fact they are doing it again, and while some  here don't think that means squat, it does big-time, and IMO they are the ones that sold Harsin on the job, and their input may be the deciding factor  again). Also noted that Harsin is most likely doing the same thing.

Did point out that most names we hear about concerning the job will be wrong, and ASU should have a coach next week.

No wait. You're kidding! The Red Wolves have somewhere that makes you PAY for information about them. I wonder what those 5 or 6 subscribers were thinking when they paid for that? All they would have had to do was come on Hogville for Red Wolf info. at no charge! Then look up yours and chiefs and others threads/posts.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 14, 2013, 11:54:48 am
I was making the comment tongue in cheek doofus. I have never looked at ASU becoming the BSU of the south and never will. They are as you say, Arkansas State University, that happens to be located in Jonesboro, AR.

My post was also tongue in cheek, doofus yourself. Don't assume just because I don't like the Red Wolves and Jonesboro that every post of mine is serious about them. Perhaps you didn't get the meaning of WHY I said "of Jonesboro". Here's a hint it's satire of other postings in another thread on here.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 14, 2013, 11:59:43 am
The CUSA is hardly a step up imo. They have one advantage over the Belt. Bowl Tie-ins. Nothing else.

Then that in and of itself is enough to make it a step up. It provides proof.

Inhogswetrust

December 14, 2013, 02:32:50 pm #189 Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 02:45:19 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 02:16:01 pm
Maybe, but a first class bus ticket for sure, and passing through some pretty country.

Obviously you've never driven from Jonesboro to Memphis............................

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 02:32:50 pm
Obviously you've never driven form Jonesboro to Memphis............................

You're obviously not a farmer or from a farm family. Fields of beans, corn, cotton, & rice are beautiful to me.

Inhogswetrust

December 14, 2013, 03:12:24 pm #191 Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 03:29:28 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on December 14, 2013, 02:42:04 pm
You're obviously not a farmer or from a farm family. Fields of beans, corn, cotton, & rice are beautiful to me.

You are wrong in your assumption of me and my family. My Dad and Mom both grew up on family farms in south Arkansas. My wife's Mom and her Dad's families were farmers in east Arkansas. They are from the country outside Roe, Arkansas known as Hurricane. Her Dad tried Rice farming but couldn't do it, due to getting his leg blown off in WWII. He would have LOVED to continue rice farming but I've NEVER heard him complain about it. My sister's late husband got killed in an accident while working his dairy farm. I've had to use quite a few outhouses on family farms in Arkansas. I know how to grow my own food and my wife always makes sure we have a nice good sized garden in our yard by making me work it with her. I'm not complaining though because she grows some really nice vegetable's, herbs and fruit! Our Daughter in Law's family are traditional Rice farmers in Japan. I've never been treated better than when we met them in Japan for our Son and her's wedding there. Actually visited a nice Rice farming, processing and historical museum there. If you want good Sake go to that area where it is really good unlike the crap type they sell here in the US. Nothing tastes better than fresh food right out of the garden or right off the farm! I also worked for a nursery owned by my uncle growing up working in a greenhouse, growing plants from seeds and selling those plants and chemicals (pesticides, Fungicides and fertilizers) a lot of which were vegetables and fruits. I started there when I was only 14 years old. I appreciate what farmers and those affiliated with them do what they do for us! Perhaps you missed my post in another thread just a couple of days ago where I said in my opinion the three most important jobs are agriculture, teaching and military. That doesn't mean I think farms are beautiful "looks" wise. Sorry for the novel length but you brought back a lot of good (and bad) memories! So I guess I should actually thank you for that.

OsageJ

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 10:46:07 am

Ricepig good to see you are as big of an idiot here as you are on the Den.  You cannot use student fees for coaches salaries.  You have a limit what the univ. can pay...after that it's private money.  Even the pigs have to live by that.

ricepig

No, farms are just pretty to other farmers. I like to look at farms, the wife likes to look at houses. The main thing I wouldn't want to happen in that drive from Jonesboro to Memphis, have it happen in the summer and have a flat, the mosquitos would kill you.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2013, 03:23:47 pm
No, farms are just pretty to other farmers. I like to look at farms, the wife likes to look at houses. The main thing I wouldn't want to happen in that drive from Jonesboro to Memphis, have it happen in the summer and have a flat, the mosquitos would kill you.

I fell asleep at the wheel twice at night making that drive after working late in Jonesboro. Thank goodness they had those "rumples" or whatever they are called on the side of the road that woke me up or I don't know if I would be here. Of course I'm sure some on here wishes that were the case! HaHa!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2013, 03:23:47 pm

I give Jonesboro and NEA a hard time and the mosquitos were bad there. The worst mosquito's though I've ever seen were down where my wife's family is from! The one's in Jonesboro were Cessna single engine planes while the ones where my wife's family is from are Boing 747 jets!

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 03:35:19 pm
I give Jonesboro and NEA a hard time and the mosquitos were bad there. The worst mosquito's though I've ever seen were down where my wife's family is from! The one's in Jonesboro were Cessna single engine planes while the ones where my wife's family is from are Boing 747 jets!

I like all areas of Arkansas. They're all unique and interesting to me. It seems a lot of people on this board like to bash where others are from. NWA folks, I guess should secede from Arkansas since the rest of the state is uninhabitable. As for me I'm from Jonesboro and wouldn't change it. I learned along time ago, most everyone is partial to where they grew up no matter what. That's a lesson in civility that some fail to grasp.

So whether its the GSD or taking AState down a notch maybe people who live there, mosquitos and all, are proud of where they came from. 

Seminole Indian

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 14, 2013, 01:20:02 pm
I don't trust Seminole's sources at all, but its common knowledge that Gus Malzahn would not have taken the ASU job had Hugh Freeze not called him and encouraged him to take it.  Both coaches pretty much admitted that happened.

Freeze has called and made recommendations each of our last two searches now.  He really  wants us to take Dan Werner this year, though I don't know if we will get more then a courtesy interview.  We know Chad Morris has contacted us as well.  Morris and Malzahn are friends, so I wouldn't put past it that they have spoken.  Though there is no way to prove such a thing.
Not sure I trust them, and really don't consider them sources, just friends.

I realize nothing will stop you, from going  around taking what I say out of context anyway, and I recall sending you a PM about it, then you posted something only Arktfan was told, and I knew what some sources associated with ASU athletics  said I would eventually find out, and that was that you were not the problem.

Inhogswetrust

December 14, 2013, 04:28:32 pm #198 Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:59:26 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on December 14, 2013, 03:49:04 pm
I like all areas of Arkansas. They're all unique and interesting to me. It seems a lot of people on this board like to bash where others are from. NWA folks, I guess should secede from Arkansas since the rest of the state is uninhabitable. As for me I'm from Jonesboro and wouldn't change it. I learned along time ago, most everyone is partial to where they grew up no matter what. That's a lesson in civility that some fail to grasp.

So whether its the GSD or taking AState down a notch maybe people who live there, mosquitos and all, are proud of where they came from. 

I agree with the unique part. The interesting one not so much. I guess it depends on what you consider interesting. Speaking of bashing other parts you just did it yourself! I guess that was your intention though. I was born in and love south Arkansas. I grew up and lived in central Arkansas and love it. I lived, worked and went to college in Northwest Arkansas and love it. I lived and worked in Northeast Arkansas and sorry but didn't like it. I live in a Memphis suburb and hate it. IF I had to choose one of the three places in Arkansas I love to live in, I would Choose Northwest Arkansas. I plan to move back there some day.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 04:28:32 pm
I agree with the unique part. The interesting one not so much. I guess it depends on what you consider interesting. Speaking of bashing other parts you just did it yourself! I guess that was your intention though. I was born in and love south Arkansas. I grew up and lived in central Arkansas. I lived, worked and went to college in Northwest Arkansas and love it. I lived and worked in Northeast Arkansas and sorry but didn't like it. I live in a Memphis suburb and hate it. IF I had to choose one of the three places I loved to live I would Choose Northwest Arkansas. I plan to move back there some day.
Good decision.

Once I reached the point I could live anywhere in the US and still do what I do, I moved to the Jonesboro area.

I lived in Fayetteville for one year, and it was nice, but I missed the mosquitos.

From Memphis, and currently helping Electrolux get a plant up and going there, but would not live there.