Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keep an eye out for this pro-style QB

Started by BigSexyHog, August 18, 2012, 09:34:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSexyHog

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Nelson-Gunnell-137996;_ylt=ApZEEDEzDWwcl36VGixDVjNIPZB4

This guy will be the next great QB coming out of the Houston area.  Mark it down.  Lots of family ties to Arkansas. 
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Bubba's Bruisers

2013...Allen
2014...Peavey
2015...Gunnell?

Me likey.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

whosiskid

Isn't there also an instate 2015 QB who many think will be a top tier QB?

Also, don't forget Tyler Cogswell. He has an absolute cannon of an arm. He tends to get overshadowed by the Allens and Peavy, but he probably could have had a really nice offer list had he not focused so exclusively on Arkansas. I remember reading last winter that he was deeply interested in Arkansas and would come here if offered. His stats for his junior year were not that great - he had just over 50% completion - but I've since read that that was more a reflection of his team and style of offense. He went to the Elite 11 in Atlanta and was blowing people away. A lot of teams started talking to him. I remember reading that week an interview in which he said you needed to go to a school appropriate to your skills. He mentioned Arkansas and also added that Alabama wouldn't be a good fit for him. After he looked good at the Elite 11 we offered him and he immediately accepted.

A number of good schools already had interest, but he decided early on that he wanted to come to Arkansas if we would have him. It is one reason I like him so much. You don't get Florida kids deciding early on that we are the only school for them. I think we could develop a situation where both Allens and Cogwell got drafted. From the scouting reports a. t the Elite 11 people said his arm was already fine, with good form, but he has some footwork problems. We definitely have some great QBs headed our way
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

RazorPiggie

You might be thinking of the Charleston QB Story.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 18, 2012, 09:37:26 pm
2013...Allen
2014...Peavey
2015...Gunnell?

Me likey.

2012 - Wilson/Mitchell/Allen
2013 - Mithcell/Allen/Allen/Cogswell
2014 - Allen/Allen/Cogswell/Peavey
2015 - Allen/Allen/Cogswell/Peavey/Gunnell(?)
2016 - Allen/Cogswell/Peavey/Gunnell(?)
2017 - Allen/Cogswell/Peavey/Gunnell(?)/???
2018 - Peavey/Gunnell(?)/???
2019 - Gunnell(?)/???

Now that's depth!!!! Locks up QB for the next 8 years.....

jamie72921

I'm sorry but Charleston just doesn't play against good enough competition for me to be comfortable about their qb being a plan A guy for high powered D1 program.

I could see taking him in a year like this where you take two guys or if you are already flush at that position, like we may be.
Bless your heart

whosiskid

Quote from: jamie72921 on August 19, 2012, 09:56:51 pm
I'm sorry but Charleston just doesn't play against good enough competition for me to be comfortable about their qb being a plan A guy for high powered D1 program.

I could see taking him in a year like this where you take two guys or if you are already flush at that position, like we may be.

I'm not sure that this is the kid I saw the story about. Seems to me that he was in a major football HS, though I could be remembering that wrongly. I'll be on the lookout to see if someone else mentions him. He definitely sounded from the article like someone we would want to pursue.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

RazorPiggie

August 20, 2012, 12:11:07 am #7 Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:36:41 am by RazorPiggie (Matt D)
I've never watched the Story kid play but from what I've heard and read, he's pretty dang good. Started MLB as a freshman, strongest kid on the team this summer, is something like 6'3" 220 and can run under a 4.7 

He was at some combine this year and they had all his measurables. I'm not going to look it up but it will be interesting to see what he does this year. And I think I heard his dad either used to be the coach and is the principal or something like that. I'll have to ask the guy at work again, he knows them.

**edit** he's only about 205

whosiskid

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on August 20, 2012, 12:11:07 am
I've never watched the Story kid play but from what I've heard and read, he's pretty dang good. Started MLB as a freshman, strongest kid on the team this summer, is something like 6'3" 220 and can run under a 4.7 

He was at some combine this year and they had all his measurables. I'm not going to look it up but it will be interesting to see what he does this year. And I think I heard his dad either used to be the coach and is the principal or something like that. I'll have to ask the guy at work again, he knows them.

OK, I think that is the kid I was reading about. Precisely the same size and I remember his being MLB on defense. Has to be him.

The level of competition in HS doesn't worry me as long as a kid goes to camps and combines and shows that he is the equal of the best there. I remember reading that he has the room to grow another 2 or 3 inches, which would give him Ryan Mallett size, with much more speed. If he is running a 4.7 forty as a freshman he might get it down to 4.6 or perhaps even 4.5. If he ends up 6'5, 235, and runs a 4.6, he'd be a freak.

Hawghopeful2015

I saw this kid (Gunnell) at the Rivals Underclassman top 100 (no QB from Ark was invited unfortunately).  He blew everyone away.  He must be over 6'3", and over 200.  He was doing agilities with the WR, and chucking 60-65 yd go routes on the money.  It will be fun to see what he does this year.  He started at varsity QB as a freshman they said, and got hurt playing some linebacker.  I read the report and he has just transferred to a passing school to take over the reigns for 3 years.  Scary he's only a Soph.

yraciv

How deep are the family ties to us? Kid definitely looks like he'll be a good one.

Hawghopeful2015

Grandad on national champ team, dad came in and transferred out for personal reasons.  Kid wants to be a Hog.  Coaches need to evaluate, and go after him.  Stanford, and TCU are very active according to Rivals.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Hawghopeful2015 on August 20, 2012, 01:05:09 pm
Grandad on national champ team, dad came in and transferred out for personal reasons.  Kid wants to be a Hog.  Coaches need to evaluate, and go after him.  Stanford, and TCU are very active according to Rivals.

Nice!!!

BigSexyHog

August 20, 2012, 06:39:21 pm #13 Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:46:30 pm by BigSexyHog
Quote from: Hawghopeful2015 on August 20, 2012, 01:05:09 pm

Yep.  Pretty spot on. 

I am not sure how much he wants to be a Hog since I have never spoke to him about it but I know he is a big fan and has been to several games over the years.  Both sides of the family have lots of hog ties.  Both on his mothers side and fathers side. Still a long time before anything is close to happening but if he keeps getting better and this does indeed become a possibility it would be great for everyone within his family since everyone is fairly close to Ark.   He is a good kid and I only see him maybe 2x a year.  Also has a younger brother who is a pretty good athlete.

whosiskid

Quote from: BigSexyHog on August 20, 2012, 06:39:21 pm
Yep.  Pretty spot on. 

I am not sure how much he wants to be a Hog since I have never spoke to him about it but I know he is a big fan and has been to several games over the years.  Both sides of the family have lots of hog ties.  Both on his mothers side and fathers side. Still a long time before anything is close to happening but if he keeps getting better and this does indeed become a possibility it would be great for everyone within his family since everyone is fairly close to Ark.   He is a good kid and I only see him maybe 2x a year.  Also has a younger brother who is a pretty good athlete.

Who was his grandfather?

hickhock

What a trip...I'm feeling old now. I grew up with Nelson's father and uncle. If I recall correctly the grandfather that was on the 64 team is Jim Price.

Hawghopeful2015

Gunnell had a great opener as reported by MaxxPreps.  5/12, 139 yds, 3 TD passes, 2 over 50yds.  71 yrds rushing 1 TD on 9 carries, 2 extra pts.  Named player of the game.  Doesn't look like he played the 4th qtr. 

BigSexyHog

Quote from: Hawghopeful2015 on September 03, 2012, 04:52:26 pm
Gunnell had a great opener as reported by MaxxPreps.  5/12, 139 yds, 3 TD passes, 2 over 50yds.  71 yrds rushing 1 TD on 9 carries, 2 extra pts.  Named player of the game.  Doesn't look like he played the 4th qtr. 

Thanks for the update +1

Ray Piggers

Is Hawghopeful2015 Gunnell?? I mean, he did say the kid wanted to be a hog.. In 2015.  That'd be sweet
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

RazorPiggie

Storeys' stats were 21-31 248yds 3 tds 1 int. No clue on rushing, that's just what the paper has. I think he'll be pretty good considering he is only a Soph.

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: whosiskid on August 20, 2012, 06:53:33 am
OK, I think that is the kid I was reading about. Precisely the same size and I remember his being MLB on defense. Has to be him.

The level of competition in HS doesn't worry me as long as a kid goes to camps and combines and shows that he is the equal of the best there. I remember reading that he has the room to grow another 2 or 3 inches, which would give him Ryan Mallett size, with much more speed. If he is running a 4.7 forty as a freshman he might get it down to 4.6 or perhaps even 4.5. If he ends up 6'5, 235, and runs a 4.6, he'd be a freak.....and then be turned into a wide receiver
???
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

jry04

Quote from: CDBHawg on August 19, 2012, 08:53:02 pm
2012 - Wilson/Mitchell/Allen
2013 - Mithcell/Allen/Allen/Cogswell
2014 - Allen/Allen/Cogswell/Peavey
2015 - Allen/Allen/Cogswell/Peavey/Gunnell(?)
2016 - Allen/Cogswell/Peavey/Gunnell(?)
2017 - Allen/Cogswell/Peavey/Gunnell(?)/???
2018 - Peavey/Gunnell(?)/???
2019 - Gunnell(?)/???

Now that's depth!!!! Locks up QB for the next 8 years.....

Allen will be the starting QB next year, not Mitchell. You can bank on that. Allen is head and shoulders ahead of where Tyler was in his 2nd year. Allen is going to be a stud next year, just like Wilson was last year stepping in.

CDBHawg

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on September 06, 2012, 10:47:22 am
Allen will be the starting QB next year, not Mitchell. You can bank on that. Allen is head and shoulders ahead of where Tyler was in his 2nd year. Allen is going to be a stud next year, just like Wilson was last year stepping in.

I was placing in order of class, not necessarily who will be starting. I agree Allen will be a very good, if not great, QB for us.

RazorPiggie

IF (thats a big if) B. Allen has 2 great years he may go to the NFL. He will have been up there for 4 years and will prolly have his degree.

Hawghopeful2015

***UPDATE****
Nelson Gunnell was the only 2015 QB behind the scenes at the spring game.  He spent (2) days visiting with the team, visiting with coaches, and getting film critique on his highlights.  He is front and center on June 10th at prospect day.  His 5A (biggest in Texas) spring game clips are on YouTube.  He finished 2012 in the top 5 of all Texas QB's, and #1 sophomore QB in Texas for combined pass/rush.  He rushed for over 1000 yds, and threw over 20 TD's with no support at all.  It will be interesting to see what he can do with an actual receiving corps around him.  Tulane, Rice, Harvard, Princeton, and Michigan are after him hard.  He wants to be a hog, and was thrilled with his visit with Coach Cheney, Coach Bielema, and Chris (recruiter).  He can't wait to get back up there in June. 

Tim Harris

Quote from: Hawghopeful2015 on June 03, 2013, 10:22:47 am
***UPDATE****
Nelson Gunnell was the only 2015 QB behind the scenes at the spring game.  He spent (2) days visiting with the team, visiting with coaches, and getting film critique on his highlights.  He is front and center on June 10th at prospect day.  His 5A (biggest in Texas) spring game clips are on YouTube.  He finished 2012 in the top 5 of all Texas QB's, and #1 sophomore QB in Texas for combined pass/rush.  He rushed for over 1000 yds, and threw over 20 TD's with no support at all.  It will be interesting to see what he can do with an actual receiving corps around him.  Tulane, Rice, Harvard, Princeton, and Michigan are after him hard.  He wants to be a hog, and was thrilled with his visit with Coach Cheney, Coach Bielema, and Chris (recruiter).  He can't wait to get back up there in June. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with him and Storey both in the same class.

Hawghopeful2015

Depends on what they want.  He's one of the grittiest QB's in Texas.  He rarely gets a hit, and always gives it.  He sent at least 5-6 safeties, and LB's to the hospital with suspected concussions.  If they bring an arm tackle, its a predictive demise.  He rushed for more yards than Storey's entire team last year.  Both are very talented.  Nelson brings many deminsions to his game.  Elected as a captain as a sophomore with a 3.75 GPA pretty much says it all.  We will see what happens on the 10th.  If his buddy Peavey ends up at Hogville, it will be a wrap.

One other wrinkle, famous retired QB coach from the Bills, Boston College (Doug Flutie), Rutgers, Alabama, and others (Max Bowman), just took over a high profile private school in Houston.  Houston Christian.  There's something brewing between those two, as Coach Bowman was referred to Nelson, and has been working with him relentlessly.  HC runs the pistol, pro style, and spread.  Natural offenses for Nelson's cannon, and ability to audible on the fly.

Tim Harris

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on September 04, 2012, 10:17:43 pm
Is Hawghopeful2015 Gunnell?? I mean, he did say the kid wanted to be a hog.. In 2015.  That'd be sweet

Same thing I was wondering.  Did you ever get an answer?

the_kosher_pig

That kid is on fire.  Well, at least his head is.

ZERO

I don't think there's enough room for this guy and Storey, right? We should be pretty loaded at QB for the forseeable future.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Tim Harris

Quote from: ZERO on June 03, 2013, 04:25:09 pm
I don't think there's enough room for this guy and Storey, right? We should be pretty loaded at QB for the forseeable future.

I wouldn't think so.  Our #s are low at QB but to me it isn't really one of those you just make up overnight.  It will take a couple years to balance the classes.  I went through all the numbers of Bielemas recruiting classes at Wisconsin and he only took 1 QB a year.

Chaney did have a year at TN that they took 3 though so you never really know.

ICEman

The Woodlands have been especially nice to the Razorback Thinclads over the years.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Countchocula

Quote from: whosiskid on August 20, 2012, 06:53:33 am

The level of competition in HS doesn't worry me as long as a kid goes to camps and combines and shows that he is the equal of the best there. I remember reading that he has the room to grow another 2 or 3 inches, which would give him Ryan Mallett size, with much more speed. If he is running a 4.7 forty as a freshman he might get it down to 4.6 or perhaps even 4.5. If he ends up 6'5, 235, and runs a 4.6, he'd be a freak.
How many times do I have to tell you that when a person has had a full beard for two years he's done growing

Tim Harris

Quote from: Countchocula on June 03, 2013, 11:33:31 pm
How many times do I have to tell you that when a person has had a full beard for two years he's done growing

You must be forgetting how good Hogville is at predicting future growth, 40 times, star rankings, etc....

RyeHogFan

The OP said he has Arkansas ties. Do you know if he's any kin to the Gunnells from DeWitt? If so, it speaks well to his toughness. Even though they didn't have much size, those Gunnell boys were always tough as nails.

Hawghopeful2015

To answer your question, I had a chance to coach Nelson last year, and then we were all let go as the program changed, and Nelson left.  He is one of those kids that come along once or twice in a coaches career in my opinion.  I've had many kids who were gifted athletically.  However, never a kid that knows what the defense is going to do before the snap, and can modify and extend a play like he can.  I've also never had a kid that could hit like him.  We had to keep him out of drills because we had a small roster.   We had two opposing coaches that spent their Saturday morning newpaper review space to specifically talk about Nelson.  I've never seen that either.  I may not get to coach him again, but I will be a fan, and watch him on Saturdays somewhere.  He may not get the nod, but whereever he goes, he will play on Saturday eventually as long as he stays healthy.  That I can promise.  I hope it's Arkansas where his grand dad was on the 64'.  He was at every one of Nelson's games, and as much of his activities as he could.  A real class act!

BigSexyHog

Quote from: RyeHogFan on June 04, 2013, 10:14:55 am
The OP said he has Arkansas ties. Do you know if he's any kin to the Gunnells from DeWitt? If so, it speaks well to his toughness. Even though they didn't have much size, those Gunnell boys were always tough as nails.

I don't believe so.  I think they had some family in Stuttgart but never heard anything in DeWitt.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: Hawghopeful2015 on June 04, 2013, 11:15:14 pm
To answer your question, I had a chance to coach Nelson last year, and then we were all let go as the program changed, and Nelson left.  He is one of those kids that come along once or twice in a coaches career in my opinion.  I've had many kids who were gifted athletically.  However, never a kid that knows what the defense is going to do before the snap, and can modify and extend a play like he can.  I've also never had a kid that could hit like him.  We had to keep him out of drills because we had a small roster.   We had two opposing coaches that spent their Saturday morning newpaper review space to specifically talk about Nelson.  I've never seen that either.  I may not get to coach him again, but I will be a fan, and watch him on Saturdays somewhere.  He may not get the nod, but whereever he goes, he will play on Saturday eventually as long as he stays healthy.  That I can promise.  I hope it's Arkansas where his grand dad was on the 64'.  He was at every one of Nelson's games, and as much of his activities as he could.  A real class act!

Well put.  I am looking forward to seeing how much he has changed over the past few months.  I have not seen him since Thanksgiving.  One of these days I am going to have to make the trip down from Dallas to see him play again. 

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: BigSexyHog on June 04, 2013, 11:31:30 pm
I don't believe so.  I think they had some family in Stuttgart but never heard anything in DeWitt.
DeWitt and Stuttgart are pretty close together. 

Break & Run

Well maybe this is good news considering the news coming out of the Rafe Peavey camp...
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Tim Harris

Quote from: The Mafia on June 05, 2013, 09:16:27 am
Well maybe this is good news considering the news coming out of the Rafe Peavey camp...

This kid is 2015.  Same class at Ty Storey

We still would need someone in 2014

Hawghopeful2015

Just talked to Nelson.  He said he had a good visit to Arkansas.  I saw he was recognized by Rivals in a couple of updates.  The bigger news is that he officially transfered to Houston Christian today with legend NFL and Collegiate QB Coach Max Bowman (Buffalo Bills, Rutgers, Boston College- Doug Flutie).  Coach Bowman recruited and coached also had the QB that went to Arkansas and transferred to UCA for a year at Westfield in Houston.  The important thing is that Nelson will finally be in a spread offense, and Pro style offense with some real receivers.  With his running ability, his numbers should be off the chart.  This is a great move for Nelson as he will probably crush every other QB in Texas this year both running and passing.  Nelson is definitely interested in keeping a dialogue with Arkansas as they gave him great feedback on what to work on with his new head coach in a film session.  He visits Tulane this Saturday, Harvard on the 26th, and Princeton on the 28th.  He will be at Michigan in July with Houston, TCU, and Baylor to follow.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: Hawghopeful2015 on June 13, 2013, 11:48:39 am
Just talked to Nelson.  He said he had a good visit to Arkansas.  I saw he was recognized by Rivals in a couple of updates.  The bigger news is that he officially transfered to Houston Christian today with legend NFL and Collegiate QB Coach Max Bowman (Buffalo Bills, Rutgers, Boston College- Doug Flutie).  Coach Bowman recruited and coached also had the QB that went to Arkansas and transferred to UCA for a year at Westfield in Houston.  The important thing is that Nelson will finally be in a spread offense, and Pro style offense with some real receivers.  With his running ability, his numbers should be off the chart.  This is a great move for Nelson as he will probably crush every other QB in Texas this year both running and passing.  Nelson is definitely interested in keeping a dialogue with Arkansas as they gave him great feedback on what to work on with his new head coach in a film session.  He visits Tulane this Saturday, Harvard on the 26th, and Princeton on the 28th.  He will be at Michigan in July with Houston, TCU, and Baylor to follow.

He also cancelled the rest of the camps he was supposed to attend to work 1 on 1 with the new coach.  I have some other info but I am not going to post it to the board because I know some will be making a lot of negative comments.  It's not really anything bad but just no reason to put it out there right now.  All I know if I am really excited and happy he has this opportunity.  Wish I had it when I was his age.  I know some are probably thinking Princeton, Harvard and Tulane but how does one pass up on a opportunity at either Harvard or Princeton?

Hawgzinbowlz

Interesting reads from Hawghopeful2015.

" GO HOGS "

Hogeyeblind

I met Nelson and his dad today in destin, fl.  I had on a hog shirt and they came up and struck up conversation.  Great people and both are very high on chaneyband the staff.

titanhawg

I have a feeling we'll take 2 QB's in 2015.  Let's get him on board and be done with the QB search the next 2 years!

justmakeit2thebcs

The coaches have told the Storey family that Ty will be the only QB we take.

HornetHog

2016 - Steven Frank
Oswego, IL
QB Farm Trained and attended this years Ark Summer Camp

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 18, 2012, 09:37:26 pm
2013...Allen
2014...Peavey
2015...Gunnell?

Me likey.
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

HornetHog

Quote from: jry04 on September 06, 2012, 10:47:22 am
Check out STEVEN FRANK to be the next in line.
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

titanhawg

Can we get by with taking just one QB each year?  Would be great if we could...and I think it could work, as long as we don't have a year when a QB transfers and another declares for the NFL as a JR. or redshirt Soph.