Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

nate Allen whining about lack of access, pimps ASU

Started by Chief Mac, March 17, 2012, 09:06:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

March 19, 2012, 01:58:25 pm #50 Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:00:07 pm by hobhog
All the writers these days ignore the coaches main reasoning for closing practices- student privacy issues. It is my understanding that BP was very angry that Knile Davis' injury last summer was all over the news/internet before he even had time to contact his parents. I believe the same thing happened with Marcus Monk years ago. In these days of instant messaging and photography, I have a hard time disagreeing with the private practices. No one does it anymore.

El Puerco

March 19, 2012, 04:07:36 pm #51 Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:16:08 pm by El Puerco
Quote from: Jack The BN on March 18, 2012, 10:59:04 pm
Sorry dude, in this case you just don't have all the information. There was no "Poor team manager just doing his job" the person was a member of the Media Relations Department. And those people are beyond unprofessional and rude, especially at football. They have 19 year old interns who are very rude to not just Nate, but all members of the media. Guys like Bob Holt, Clay Henry, and Mike Irwin, who have covered the razorbacks for almost 40 years.

Often times these people speak to 65 year old men who are in their own right just doing their jobs, as if they are Children.

It has at times been very much been beyond unprofessional, condescending and downright rude. If you had to deal with people like that every day, you would be upset to. It's judgmental people like you that have "Pure Class".

I do deal with "people like that" every single day and, as I am in the public eye and represent an organization, I am very careful not to act like a 4 year old when given the opportunity. 
You don't sit there loudly calling people a Nazi.  You just don't do it.

Know that you're going to have to show your ID and move along.  No need to big time a kid.
Every single time I enter the court house, I get the wand.  I'm there twice a week and have been for years.  When court security is less than hospitable and I think "Jeez....again?  I was here yesterday"....oddly enough, the word Nazi doesn't come to mind and doesn't come out of my mouth.

I've interacted with Nate on several occasions.  I have a low opinion of him and it continues to sink lower and lower

Remind me again who tweeted Knile's injury to God and everybody.  Personally, I like Petrino's rules.  In large part, I find much of the sports media to be an irresponsible pack of churlish, self-aggrandizing lemmings. If you don't like the rules, don't go to practice.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Jack The BN on March 18, 2012, 10:59:04 pm
Sorry dude, in this case you just don't have all the information. There was no "Poor team manager just doing his job" the person was a member of the Media Relations Department. And those people are beyond unprofessional and rude, especially at football. They have 19 year old interns who are very rude to not just Nate, but all members of the media. Guys like Bob Holt, Clay Henry, and Mike Irwin, who have covered the razorbacks for almost 40 years.

Often times these people speak to 65 year old men who are in their own right just doing their jobs, as if they are Children.

It has at times been very much been beyond unprofessional, condescending and downright rude. If you had to deal with people like that every day, you would be upset to. It's judgmental people like you that have "Pure Class".

Clay deserves no respect.  Things must have really changed in recent years if this is anywhere close to true. 

nwarazfan

Quote from: hobhog on March 19, 2012, 01:58:25 pm
All the writers these days ignore the coaches main reasoning for closing practices- student privacy issues. It is my understanding that BP was very angry that Knile Davis' injury last summer was all over the news/internet before he even had time to contact his parents. I believe the same thing happened with Marcus Monk years ago. In these days of instant messaging and photography, I have a hard time disagreeing with the private practices. No one does it anymore.

I'm very uneasy with parts of the practice reports we receive on Hogville.  Some things should be left at the practice field. 

Hawg Balling

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 19, 2012, 04:40:57 pm
So the amount of access should be increased if the coach is doing things illegally and/or unethically and/or isn't winning? Yeah, that'll happen. Sure.

The lack of media access will continue as the new credential restrictions at the NCAA Tournament proves. Eventually, if you want to read a game story with quotes from Petrino, you'll have to go to the UA's official site. Or maybe the website of whichever TV network televised the game. The same thing will happen with highlights. No more watching Tyler Wilson's TD throw on the 10 p.m. news, it'll only be available on RazorVision.

Meh, I'm okay with that.  We're in the digital age now, which has thrown back the curtain on just how outdated the local media aspect has become with regard to sports.  If I want a practice report, I can ask someone on Hogville.  If I want to know how Knile Davis is walking post-surgery, I can facebook someone I know at the U of A who has class with him.  If I want to know the parameters of the SEC TV contract, I can Google it.  If I want to know if Mekale McKay has committed, I can get on Twitter.  I no longer need to wait until the 6:00 news to be aprised of these things.  We're at a point where you can get better news from Deadspin than ESPN, and better updates from Hogville than Steve Sullivan or Wally Hall.  I don't need to wait for Clay Henry to tell me how we're looking in next week's issue of HI.

El Puerco

So the amount of access should be increased if the coach is doing things illegally and/or unethically and/or isn't winning? Yeah, that'll happen. Sure.

The lack of media access will continue as the new credential restrictions at the NCAA Tournament proves. Eventually, if you want to read a game story with quotes from Petrino, you'll have to go to the UA's official site. Or maybe the website of whichever TV network televised the game. The same thing will happen with highlights. No more watching Tyler Wilson's TD throw on the 10 p.m. news, it'll only be available on RazorVision.

I agree with your sentiment, however, I feel that some respect for the player's privacy, Coach Petrino's attempts to run a structured, non grab-ass program, and the grave insult of requiring press credentials do not necessarily translate to an Orwellian future.

1highhog

Any of the guys that report on Spring practices from Hogville do a better job of actually providing daily info to us sports starved Hog fans than any of the current sports directors/colunmists that are paid to cover the Razorbacks.  +1 to everyone of you that do so.

Sivad

Quote from: El Puerco on March 19, 2012, 04:07:36 pm

You don't sit there loudly calling people a Nazi.  You just don't do it.

You sure don't.
And Nate's comments about "what would happen if we start losing" as if he hoped we would since he got his prima donna feelings hurt is particularly troublesome.

El Puerco

Quote from: Sivad on March 19, 2012, 08:21:22 pm
You sure don't.
And Nate's comments about "what would happen if we start losing" as if he hoped we would since he got his prima donna feelings hurt is particularly troublesome.

It was clearly a veiled threat. The translation is this:  "I can't do jack to you right now because you're popular and you're winning.....but when things go south, I'll be handing you your ass in the paper."

Biggus Piggus

I don't know how these writers do their jobs anymore. They should focus on analysis and write what they guess is going on until somebody opens up. The closed nature of our sports programs is way out there. If people have no answers, they make them. Foolish PR.
[CENSORED]!

Andrew Hogfan

Quote from: 1highhog on March 19, 2012, 05:13:58 pm
Any of the guys that report on Spring practices from Hogville do a better job of actually providing daily info to us sports starved Hog fans than any of the current sports directors/colunmists that are paid to cover the Razorbacks.  +1 to everyone of you that do so.
This hogville is 100 times better than our local media
WPS!!!

Chief Mac

Scott,  blame your peers that ruin it for all of the press. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 20, 2012, 08:24:12 am
Blame the media for the university cutting down interview time with the coaches?

It's the media's fault that coverage and video are now seen as a monetizable commodity by the schools?

That's like blaming the fans for the team losing.

Media is a BUSINESS.
Media itself is therefore a monetizable commodity.
If it wasn't I wouldn't have to pay for viewing media or advertisers wouldn't have to pay to sponsor free broadcasts or web services.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WilsonHog

I sympathize with the media to the extent that their role is becoming more obsolete by the day.

For example, for $13 a month I can see or hear most every Razorback baseball game plus get highlights. Should I be out of pocket, I can come to Extra Innings and read the pbp. If a want a game story or maybe a player quote or two, I can visit the UA website. If a game I'm planning on watching has a time change or gets rained out, I get an e-mail. When I go to a game at Baum, before I can make it to the Catfish Hole after the game I'll have an e-mail from UA, thanking me for coming and giving me a game recap.

As a Razorback baseball fan, what more could I ask for? I'm no longer dependent on traditional print media for anything.

Piggin Out

Oh no! Everybody panic!
it's not going to that extreme and you know it.

Inhogswetrust

March 20, 2012, 10:10:57 am #65 Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:14:30 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 20, 2012, 09:07:16 am
In the past, the media wasn't competing with the school itself - which can limit access - for viewers.

If the media wants to interview me then I can refuse. It doesn't matter why. Access has always been limited to the media in most situations. Besides the media competes mostly with other media and not the school. I do agree a lot of schools have gone more directly into the media business but there is nothing wrong with that since it is a sellable commodity and they control that commodity. Just like a newspaper controls what they sell or broadcast media controls what they broadcast. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

AlmaHog2011

I agree that is sure seems to be heading in that direction. I hate it. Love watching 40/29 and all the Hognation stuff they do. It will be a sad day when you have to pay to watch and interview with the Hogs. But I fear it is on the way. Won't make any difference to me, but it will to most Hogfans.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 20, 2012, 10:13:19 am
I agree that is sure seems to be heading in that direction. I hate it. Love watching 40/29 and all the Hognation stuff they do. It will be a sad day when you have to pay to watch and interview with the Hogs. But I fear it is on the way. Won't make any difference to me, but it will to most Hogfans.

Limiting access in a rational manner is not necessarily a bad thing business-wise. Totally eliminating it is. They will always need some free publicity. I submit that 90% of corporate charity work in the business world is done for free publicity as much as some desire to do good. At least by the entity. The individuals that work there do it for the good deed. Why do you think corporations have PR or media departments? It is to control or limit bad pubicity AND try to increase good publicity. Corporate charity is good publicity.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 20, 2012, 09:17:30 am
I sympathize with the media to the extent that their role is becoming more obsolete by the day.

For example, for $13 a month I can see or hear most every Razorback baseball game plus get highlights. Should I be out of pocket, I can come to Extra Innings and read the pbp. If a want a game story or maybe a player quote or two, I can visit the UA website. If a game I'm planning on watching has a time change or gets rained out, I get an e-mail. When I go to a game at Baum, before I can make it to the Catfish Hole after the game I'll have an e-mail from UA, thanking me for coming and giving me a game recap.

As a Razorback baseball fan, what more could I ask for? I'm no longer dependent on traditional print media for anything.

Very true, and my post above runs parallel to your point.  In the age of the internet, message boards, smart phones, tablets, Google, Facebook, and Twitter, local media are essentially a day late and a dollar short.  This Seinfeld clip was more prescient that ever, in more ways than one:

JackJohnson

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 17, 2012, 09:34:33 am
So the idiot uses Ray Perkins privacy fence one year at ASU 20 yrs ago producing a 2-9 season as a reason to open up practices, access, ect... ? I'll offer up 10 and 11 win seasons as reasons why I don't give a damn who has access to the football team, coaches.

Hey Nate, you might want to instruct Saban on allowing access too. All practices and scrimmages are closed this Spring at Bama. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/03/alabama_announces_its_complete.html

The difference between Ark media and Bama media is the Ark media feels a sense of entitlement bc things have been done a certain way for so long and are too backwards to accept change.  I would imagine there were ZERO articles like this from Bama writers.  The reason is they (the bama media) understand their place when it comes to covering a BIG TIME college football program.  The Ark media doesn't.  Long gone are the days when you can show up to practice, rub elbows with the coaching staff, then go kick your feet up in the coaching offices after practice.  The sooner they get over themselves and realize that what is taking place in the Ark football program is no different that what goes on at places like Bama, the better off they (and we the fans) will be.  You don't get to Bama's level without hurting some feelings- too bad the ego's of those in the media rivals the FIRED previous coach

What gets me is that the Ark media will have access to all 4 major scrimmages- who cares what goes on during the day to day stuff.  If the coaches want to close things out as they put in a completely new D, and possibly make some changes to more fully utilize our stable of RB's, great blocking FB to help offset the loss of 3 big time WR's, then that is their right and it should not be questioned.  Those 4 scrimmages will have as many plays as 8 FULL games, yet they aren't happy.  Sigh...

Inhogswetrust

March 20, 2012, 10:49:26 am #70 Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:50:59 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 20, 2012, 10:36:16 am
Re: Alabama vs Arkansas access

After the Arkansas game, Saban spent 22 minutes doing Q&A with the media. That was about 12 minutes longer than any postgame Q&A Petrino conducted this season.

Did Saban get asked more questions? Did it last longer because of the answers he gave? Perhaps he doesn't care how long and CBP does. Besides that is only one part of a coaches media responsibilities. I understand Saban closes practices also. If you can prove to me that overall Saban has more total time in front of the media then you may have a good argument. That doesn't even take into account the fact Bama has a reputation as one of the elite in CFB and we are still trying to get there so perhaps he realizes he will have more media time requests. 

JackJohnson

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 20, 2012, 10:36:16 am
Re: Alabama vs Arkansas access

After the Arkansas game, Saban spent 22 minutes doing Q&A with the media. That was about 12 minutes longer than any postgame Q&A Petrino conducted this season.

WOW.  Poor deprived Ark media :(

Saban spoke 10 min and 50 seconds following the 9-6 loss to LSU.  I am sure there were numerous Alabama media clamoring for their lost 11 minutes compared to what they got following the Ark game.  I am sure there was an outrage that he only spoke for 7 min and 34 sec after the UT win this year given that is one of Bama's biggest rivals

You stay classy Ark media

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: JackJohnson on March 20, 2012, 10:51:50 am
WOW.  Poor deprived Ark media :(

Saban spoke 10 min and 50 seconds following the 9-6 loss to LSU.  I am sure there were numerous Alabama media clamoring for their lost 11 minutes compared to what they got following the Ark game.  I am sure there was an outrage that he only spoke for 7 min and 34 sec after the UT win this year given that is one of Bama's biggest rivals

You stay classy Ark media

Big time coaches have a "love\hate" relationship with the media. Sme days they love them. some days they hate them.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 20, 2012, 10:58:26 am
The number of questions being asked doesn't matter. At UA postgame, after 5 minutes the SID barks "last question" even when folks still have a lot of questions left. At Alabama, it didn't end until Saban asked "Anything else?" when nobody piped up, he left.

Anyway, y'all were talking about how Alabama does things and why the media there didn't complain about it. That's why I offered that.

O.K. Fair enough. Then obviously CBP wants to limit that time and Saban doesn't. Perhaps in other situations it is reversed. Saban may have a different feelling for the media than CBP. Doesn't mean either is correct or wrong. Each coach has to decide how they want to handle the media.

wildturkey8

I would say the Alabama knows their limits better than Arkansas'.  Scott, you are an exception, but too many of us have seen the Arkansas Sports Media tout the "party line" to the point of changing the substance of their coverage when that line changes.  I think that accounts for a lot of the media bashing here.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 20, 2012, 10:58:26 am
The number of questions being asked doesn't matter. At UA postgame, after 5 minutes the SID barks "last question" even when folks still have a lot of questions left. At Alabama, it didn't end until Saban asked "Anything else?" when nobody piped up, he left.

Anyway, y'all were talking about how Alabama does things and why the media there didn't complain about it. That's why I offered that.

On another note I do know some of the Arkansas media people. I won't say whom. Some do understand how each coach is different and some don't. That being said I do know how tough a job it is and how much tougher it has become with the digital age we are now in.

wildturkey8

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 20, 2012, 08:24:12 am
That's like blaming the fans for the team losing.
We have seen that before, and some of the media were complicit.

Hogblog

1. Coach Petrino has the right to conduct the football program as he pleases.

2. Reporters and internet hacks get free tickets, free parking and free food at games so don't be hating on the hand that feeds you.

3. Print media is going the way of the dinosaur......extinct.

4. So called internet reporters include the likes of Otis Kirk, Clay Henry and Trey Biddy.....if I were CBP I would pull their credentials entirely......

wildturkey8

I would agree though, that a little honey might go a long way.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 20, 2012, 11:19:41 am
In the end, it's not about the media being deprived. It's about you the fan being deprived of Petrino's thoughts and explanations about the game.

If you're cool with that, OK. But many times I see people post "Why didn't the media ask ... " and most of the time the answer is because we didn't have time.

Judging from the last four years, a lot of what Petrino has to say in postgame press conferences is fairly prepackaged and manufactured anyway, as is the norm for most coaches worth their salt.  To be perfectly honest, anything of value that Petrino says with regard to the game is on his Sunday show.  I don't need the media to tell me that Petrino said that we have to protect the quarterback better if I just watched Tyler Wilson get his head caved in for sixty minutes. 

This is just one more example of the local media vastly overstating its own value-add to the consumer. 

WilsonHog

I was thinking about this earlier in the context of Orville Henry.

When I was growing up as a young Razorback fan in eastern Arkansas, I NEEDED Orville Henry. My family couldn't afford season tickets, so we listened on the radio when we could. I relied on OH game reports and Notepad to fill in the gaps for me.

I'm pretty sure that I saw every Razorback football game last year, either in person or on television. If I can do that, I'm not nearly as dependent on someone like Orville Henry. Never would have been. Why read about something I've already seen in person? 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 20, 2012, 08:32:13 am
Media is a BUSINESS.
Media itself is therefore a monetizable commodity.
If it wasn't I wouldn't have to pay for viewing media or advertisers wouldn't have to pay to sponsor free broadcasts or web services.

The economy behind the teensy market potential for Arkansas' SID selling stuff online = insignificant forever.

The economy behind the market potential for Arkansas' news media covering the Razorbacks = significant, now and in the future.

Choking off the latter to get access to the former = STUPID.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hawg Balling on March 20, 2012, 11:40:07 am
Judging from the last four years, a lot of what Petrino has to say in postgame press conferences is fairly prepackaged and manufactured anyway, as is the norm for most coaches worth their salt.  To be perfectly honest, anything of value that Petrino says with regard to the game is on his Sunday show.  I don't need the media to tell me that Petrino said that we have to protect the quarterback better if I just watched Tyler Wilson get his head caved in for sixty minutes. 

This is just one more example of the local media vastly overstating its own value-add to the consumer. 

There is no value added without information, and that's what the media are complaining about.

See that? Media = plural. TV is a news medium. Singular. Learn something every day.
[CENSORED]!

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2012, 12:57:58 pm
There is no value added without information, and that's what the media are complaining about.

See that? Media = plural. TV is a news medium. Singular. Learn something every day.

What additional information and context am I gleaning from the media?  I'll preface this by saying that I'm not picking on RD, but I can read in the ADG how Richard Davenport feels about landing Dorial Green-Beckham or I can sift through posts of those with "sources" on Hogville to discern where we stand in addition to leveraging any number of social networking outlets, the latter of which is done at my implied peril.  If both Richard Davenport and JeanClaudeVanHam feel good about landing DGB and we don't get him, RD's insight doesn't have added credence if proven wrong.

Inhogswetrust

March 20, 2012, 02:04:40 pm #84 Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:17:38 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2012, 12:56:27 pm
The economy behind the teensy market potential for Arkansas' SID selling stuff online = insignificant forever.

The economy behind the market potential for Arkansas' news media covering the Razorbacks = significant, now and in the future.

Choking off the latter to get access to the former = STUPID.

Wrong.
Market potential for hogs  = increasing now and in the future.
Market potential for needing traditional old style media =  decreasing.

kimjongsqUeAl

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on March 17, 2012, 09:06:29 am
Quite your whining Nate.  All major programs allow similar access.  You were spoiled when Broyles was there and there were leaks of info everywhere.  Now the program is more business like and better....get over it.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2012/mar/17/programs-ask-more-offer-less-20120317/?razorbacks

I wholeheartedly agree.  After reading his article in the DemGaz I got a "This guy MUST be a homo" feeling shortly thereafter.  I won't bother reading another one of his "opinions" again. 
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

Jack The BN

March 20, 2012, 04:13:19 pm #86 Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:14:45 pm by Jack The BN
y
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

Jack The BN

This is actually a perfect example. When Davis went down the SID could have come to all of us and said "Hey guys, we're not sure how bad the injury is. We need to have the doctors check him out and let his family know his condition. We'll send out an email in a few hours. But, for the sake of his family we would ask that you hold off on reporting anything." We all would have been ok with that.

But they didn't, they just went, "We're not answering any questions. DON'T ASK." and "It's our policy not to talk about injuries"

The difference is communication.
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

El Puerco

Quote from: Jack The BN on March 20, 2012, 04:13:19 pm

In fact, the Cotton Bowl Committee actively discussed never inviting Arkansas back to the game after the way these people treated the Cotton Bowl Sports information people.

I know, I  know.....They're just like "Nazis."

Jack The BN

March 20, 2012, 04:53:44 pm #89 Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:15:47 pm by Jack The BN
 :razorback:

Biggus Piggus

Does anybody really think they are going to contain news like that? The fans will spread it, hell, the players will spread it on Twitter. Talk about heads in the sand.

I can understand Arkansas's desire for secrecy about team preparations and other details, if the coaches are afraid of their rivals' scouting abilities + don't believe their team stands a chance of competing against key rivals without some major element of surprise. Not that surprise has amounted to a hill of beans, yet anyway.
[CENSORED]!

Jack The BN

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2012, 04:57:59 pm
Does anybody really think they are going to contain news like that? The fans will spread it, hell, the players will spread it on Twitter. Talk about heads in the sand.

I can understand Arkansas's desire for secrecy about team preparations and other details, if the coaches are afraid of their rivals' scouting abilities + don't believe their team stands a chance of competing against key rivals without some major element of surprise. Not that surprise has amounted to a hill of beans, yet anyway.

Exactly, people who work at the athletic department were on here within half an hour posting about it.

Someone earlier in the thread said that he didn't need the media because he can just ask his buddy on twitter. I wonder if his buddy check his facts, or backs up his reports with quotes from the parties involved

kaiserhog

March 20, 2012, 07:14:23 pm #92 Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:24:08 pm by kaiserhog
Quote from: Jack The BN on March 20, 2012, 04:53:44 pm
What I'm trying to say is that's it's not just a case of indignant newspaper guys getting upset because someone asked to see credentials as you claim. In fact they don't ask for our credentials, they issue them, they know who we are.

I'm saying that the way the Arkansas media relations department treated the Cotton Bowl staff was so disrespectful and inappropriate, that the Cotton Bowl Committee considered never inviting Arkansas back. I never used a term referring to the National Socialist Workers Party.

It's not just about the media.
Well, what did they decide and what actually happened?

oldhawg

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 20, 2012, 06:32:53 pm
Asking them in a column doesn't get an answer from the people who be answering them.

Nearly five years after the fact, fans are still ticked off about what a lousy job the sports media did in providing insightful information about the previous regime, especially since things were supposed to be more transparent then.  The perception exists (true or not) that the media grossly and intentionally misrepresented what was going on within the BAC at that time. 

Now some media members want fans to believe that Petrino and staff are severely hampering attempts to provide timely, accurate sports information about activities within the football program. People are not ready to buy into that line of thought, or rather they are comfortable with the way things are being handled, simply because some within the Arkansas media have lost all credibility.  Plus, with the plethora of information available from other informal sources, media reports just don't seem so valuable anymore---at least that's the perception.

Folks whose lifeline is working in the Arkansas sports media have their work cut out for them over the next few years.

jesterzzn

Define "Big Money Booster."

Cause I don't know a single "Big Money Booster" as I define the word, that would have the time to drop in on a 4:00 practice just for chits and giggles.  Nor do I think they would be shuffled out of the Broyles complex for not setting up an appointment.

Jeff Long schedules appointments with them, not the other way around.

I think when Nate is saying "Big Money Booster" he must mean the guys that have a bit of swag and like to flaunt it publically so everyone knows they are kind of a big deal.  Meaning they are not really big money boosters.  They are schmoozers.  Kinda like Nate.

jesterzzn

Quote from: Jack The BN on March 20, 2012, 04:13:19 pm
In fact, the Cotton Bowl Committee actively discussed never inviting Arkansas back to the game after the way these people treated the Cotton Bowl Sports information people.

Wait.  Give me the who, what, when, where, and why on this, please.

Chief Mac

Quote from: oldhawg on March 20, 2012, 07:28:02 pm

Nearly five years after the fact, fans are still ticked off about what a lousy job the sports media did in providing insightful information about the previous regime, especially since things were supposed to be more transparent then.  The perception exists (true or not) that the media grossly and intentionally misrepresented what was going on within the BAC at that time. 

Now some media members want fans to believe that Petrino and staff are severely hampering attempts to provide timely, accurate sports information about activities within the football program. People are not ready to buy into that line of thought, or rather they are comfortable with the way things are being handled, simply because some within the Arkansas media have lost all credibility.  Plus, with the plethora of information available from other informal sources, media reports just don't seem so valuable anymore---at least that's the perception.

Folks whose lifeline is working in the Arkansas sports media have their work cut out for them over the next few years.

Excellent take and spot on.....what say ye Arkansas press and their supporters
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

jesterzzn

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on March 20, 2012, 07:56:40 pm
Excellent take and spot on.....what say ye Arkansas press and their supporters

They don't get it.  I need to be careful not to name names, as that has led me to recieve a three day ban in a past, but there are reporters semi-active on this site who simply do not understand why their multiple false reports are recieved poorly by the rest of us.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 20, 2012, 11:19:41 am

I see people post "Why didn't the media ask ... " and most of the time the answer is because we didn't have time.

So you all didn't "have time" to question Houston Dale Nutt for all of the shennanigans he was continually engaging in? And the fans had to do it?
Rather, the so-called Arkansas "sports media" were asleep at the switch during the Nutt Nightmare and too busy texting him, patting him on the back and trying to be his "buddy".

Chief Mac

March 20, 2012, 08:14:05 pm #99 Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:18:45 pm by Chris McWilliams
Quote from: jesterzzn on March 20, 2012, 08:02:07 pm
They don't get it.  I need to be careful not to name names, as that has led me to recieve a three day ban in a past, but there are reporters semi-active on this site who simply do not understand why their multiple false reports are recieved poorly by the rest of us.

Funny how they pine for the good ole day when they had access yet didn't do their jobs and expose what was going on.  I guess it was more important to help he BAC keep things under wraps and toe the company line so they wouldn't lose the access they had

They lost their credibility amongst a portion of the fanbase that were compared to terrorists, pardon us if we don't think "serves them right"