Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone think there will be alegislative move to force a Razorback vs ASU game?

Started by Baggerscott, February 27, 2012, 10:33:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Baggerscott

Just wondering... Don't want it. I think many elected officials would lose their jobs over it.

kaiserhog

Danny J

Not a chance. I think maybe jonesboro reps from their district may push it depending on the demographics in their district. As for the other reps from other parts of the state.....no way.

Baggerscott

I thought the states biggest asu fan might want to push for it and with gus over there wanting it... You never know.

uncle bubs

God bless the Boston Mountains.

ark30inf

I think there ought to be legislation to keep ASU threads off Hogville and UA threads off The Den.

Hawgfan27

It might would help NEA if we were forced to play a home and home, but other than that I don't see how it would generate any additional revenue for the state.   I just don't see the motive to pass any legislation. Ultimately the University of Arkansas has nothing to gain out of it, the state would see little benefit if any IMHO, and Arkansas State wouldn't have anything to b*** about any more.  It's a lose, lose, lose.

Grunt

Quote from: Baggerscott on February 27, 2012, 10:33:36 pm
Just wondering... Don't want it. I think many elected officials would lose their jobs over it.
no. too many of us feel as you do.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

rogersvillemohog

I thought there was legislation to keep us from playing. Seriously. Basically that the UofA won't/can't play any other schools from the state to basically keep the peace, or something.
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Calling All Hogs

Hogfaniam

are things really so good legislatively that this  would take priority over ANYTHING else that would need attention? like crime, roads, trade, jobs, healthy population, education, etc.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

RAF

It'd be political suicide for anyone not in their last term.

Hopefully the governor can keep his priorities straight during his last term and not try to settle a personal issue at the expense of the Arkansas populace.

kodiakisland

First off, it would have to be determined if they even had the ability to do that.  My understanding is the UA football program does not use tax payer dollars to fund itself.  Have no idea about AState.  If the football program is run independant of taxpayer dollars, what authority does the state legislature have over it?

It would be a very poor move and very shortsighted, but I could definitely see someone from central or south Arkansas try to do that to buy votes.  Wouldn't it be great to sink to the level of Oklahoma.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Iwastherein1969

why would those cretans over there at Jonesboro want to play the Hogs at this point in time ?  this would be the absolute worst time in the history of the two programs for ASU to be taking on the UA....why ? quite simply,  Bob Petrino....CBP knows the importance of owning Arkansas that the game would morph into beat down after beat down after beat down....I've found that human nature taken into account, usually the lesser drags the better down to their level instead of the better bringing the lesser up to his level.....no reason to play ASU as they have been, are now and will almost certainly will be exponentially inferior to THE UNIVERSTIY of ARKANSAS
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Sivad

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some jerkal state rep or senator introduce such a misguided bill.
And we know who would be pushing it behind the scenes.
But hopefully good sense would prevail and it goes nowhere.

Choctaw Hog

No.  I agree. 

sigpooie

Why would anyone be against it, (except for Broyles) This would be a great early season game for both teams and all of the funds would stay instate. And it could replace the mo state or some other leave in the 4th. I say we do it so this state can have two true division 1 teams. This would also raise the bar for asu to find donors that would put up funds to make them our own OSU, MSU, KSU, TAM. and give the kids BP does not need a team instate to play for. Plus Jonesboro could use the money to help make it a better school. In the past 20 years we have given one school in LA or MO over 7 million to play us in a crappy game.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

ChitownHawg

One thing you can count on is for politicians to try their best to avoid conflict, and this would be very contraversial.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Speedracer

Like smites bother me.

passinghog

Since this a Razorback state, I don't think enough people care about this issue for politicians to even waste their time talking about it. Seriously, only hogville cares about this...

MJ2

hoglady

Arkansas is bleeding jobs, having problems keeping a balanced budget, overall economy is in the toilet (no matter what the media machine tells us), gas prices rising, food prices up, foreclosures rising, house prices tanking - now WHY in the world should our state legislature be concerned about who plays who in football?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

sigpooie

Yet we should continue to give out of state programs 14 million over the past 20 years to play a crappy game in LR. That's 14 million of our money going to a crappy school in some other state like AL LA MS MO TN. It is a shame we have to get anyone to agree to a game like this. As a hog fan for over 50 years I am not afraid to play them and as a Arkansan I am very sure we need to money here more than there.
There would not be a better nonconf foe for us to pick on and it would help keep LR with a game. 
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Sooiepride

There should be a legislative move to keep legislators out of college sports.
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: sigpooie on February 28, 2012, 06:52:49 am
............. and all of the funds would stay instate.

I can't understand why people keep trying to make this argument. For example: Arkansas plays a home game against Troy and pays Troy $1 Million. The same day, ASU travels to, let's say, Texas A&M, and gets paid $1.25 million. Do you think the UofA is going to pay ASU $1.25 to come to Fayetteville and play? So I guess you're saying that ASU should play UAPB instead of going to Oregon...so they can keep the money in-state. Right?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pigsknuckles

Let them do well as an OOC opponent for some quality teams, then get back to us.

Yeah, I know they beat aTm in 08.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Bkhardicars

concerning the sentiment that all the money would stay in the state....For the UofA to prop up ASU by granting a game with them would be like Wal Mart allowing Target to use their vast resources to help improve their operation. Aint gonna happen. Nothing good could come out of it for the Uof A. 

NaturalStateReb

There's absolutely no push for this in the legislature, and hasn't really been since the 80s.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

roothog229

Shane Broadway tried to push legislation to force the schools to play each other in the late 90s. It was defeated in a landslide vote.

Doesn't need to be brought up ever again.

Tusks

I dont get it.  The hogs pay a milion to bring in an out of state version of ASU.  ASU goes on the road and gets a million bucks to be some other teams version of ULM.  It's a wash the hogs give away a million and ASU gets a million.  How does the money staying in state help anybody...its still the UA giving away a million and ASU getting a million.

You guys act like ASU doesn't go on the road and get a million to play a game.  It's an even swap so how does the state benefit from this...where is the extra money coming from and going.

Some of you guys must have take math at ASU.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

kodiakisland

Quote from: sigpooie on February 28, 2012, 07:56:29 am
Yet we should continue to give out of state programs 14 million over the past 20 years to play a crappy game in LR. That's 14 million of our money going to a crappy school in some other state like AL LA MS MO TN. It is a shame we have to get anyone to agree to a game like this. As a hog fan for over 50 years I am not afraid to play them and as a Arkansan I am very sure we need to money here more than there.
There would not be a better nonconf foe for us to pick on and it would help keep LR with a game. 

The UofA does not use state money to pay other teams.  The football program is self supporting and uses its own funds.  No taxpayer dollars are being used to pay teams to come here.  the government has no business trying to control non state money.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

uams1989

First of all, don't think that the legislature can't or wouldn't do it.  The South Carolina legislature is trying to pass a law that requires that Clemson and South Carolina always play each other.

It's been done in other states.  As bad as you think the Bama - Auburn rivalry is now, it got so bad in the early part of the 20th Century that the schools quit playing and refused to play each other.  The Alabama Legislature forced the schools to start playing each other, again, in the late 1940's.

I agree that government should stay out of sports, but, don't put it past them.

I, for one, don't think it would be good for the University of Arkansas, at all.  It's a no win situation for the UA, and, would only help ASU.  Keeping the money in state would only become significant if ASU rose to equal status...again at UA's expense.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

longtimeHogfan

Way back in my Bud Campbell days I vaguely recall a State legislator at the time trying the same thing.  Not only did it not pass, he was not re-elected. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

sigpooie

Really, it won't stay in state???
If you pay troy one million and asu gets paid a million to play someone out of state.
Ok.
Why would you want to pay an out of state team when you could pay an instate team and the in state team  also get's paid for playing others.. Do you balance budgets for a living?
this would add almost 10% to the total asu budget of 11 million. What's uofa at these days almost 100 million. Our state does better when the schools grow, it's as simple as that and the fact that one school collects almost over 10 times the amount of the other.

kodiakisland

Quote from: sigpooie on February 28, 2012, 09:42:24 am
If you pay troy one million and asu gets paid a million to play someone out of state.
Ok.
Why would you want to pay an out of state team when you could pay an instate team and the in state team  also get's paid for playing others.. Do you balance budgets for a living?

Because fans and donors pay the bills.  I would bet the majority don't want to see the matchup. 

sigpooie

Quote from: kodiakisland on February 28, 2012, 09:45:28 am
Because fans and donors pay the bills.  I would bet the majority don't want to see the matchup.
I think your wrong because they have done these polls in the past and found 50 50 type numbers
the fans and the donors pay the money to go out of state as well.. By the way the states of LA, AL TN and MO did not want us to play them either

RAF

Quote from: sigpooie on February 28, 2012, 06:52:49 am
Why would anyone be against it, (except for Broyles) This would be a great early season game for both teams and all of the funds would stay instate. And it could replace the mo state or some other leave in the 4th. I say we do it so this state can have two true division 1 teams. This would also raise the bar for asu to find donors that would put up funds to make them our own OSU, MSU, KSU, TAM. and give the kids BP does not need a team instate to play for. Plus Jonesboro could use the money to help make it a better school. In the past 20 years we have given one school in LA or MO over 7 million to play us in a crappy game.
1) 100% private money is involved, so what does it matter if it stays instate?  That only makes sense for public money.  We currently pay less (several hundred thousand less) for our rent-a-wins than ASU makes by playing out-of-state teams, so if you're truly concerned about the economics of the situation, it's in ASU's best interest to not play the Hogs.

2) As a non-BCS auto-qualifier, ASU is not on the same level as UA.  The state will not have 2 "true division I teams" just because we play them.

3)  In order for ASU to become "our OSU, MSU, KSU, TAM", you realize that they'd have to join the SEC, right?  Those games are all conference games for their rivals.

4) Not a drop of the money that we paid them would ever touch an academic unit at ASU. 

RAF

Ok.
this would add almost 10% to the total asu budget of 11 million. What's uofa at these days almost 100 million. Our state does better when the schools grow, it's as simple as that and the fact that one school collects almost over 10 times the amount of the other.
We don't pay any rent-a-wins $1 million.  ASU long ago realized ago that they needed to play their own rent-a-wins in order to have a chance to get bowl-eligible.  They don't play 4 money games; they play two.  If ASU and UA play, it will come at the expense of them dropping one of their usual money games.  ASU loses money under your proposal, since you're so concerned about who balances budgets for a living.

HatfieldHog

Nope, won't happen.  Texas' state house has gotten involved in the debate of Texas schools and ended up looking very "bush league" over it.  Arkansas' state house won't get involved!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

sigpooie

Quote from: dxf04 on February 28, 2012, 09:50:59 am
1) 100% private money is involved, so what does it matter if it stays instate?  That only makes sense for public money.  We currently pay less (several hundred thousand less) for our rent-a-wins than ASU makes by playing out-of-state teams, so if you're truly concerned about the economics of the situation, it's in ASU's best interest to not play the Hogs.

2) As a non-BCS auto-qualifier, ASU is not on the same level as UA.  The state will not have 2 "two division I teams" just because we play them.

3)  In order for ASU to become "our OSU, MSU, KSU, TAM", you realize that they'd have to join the SEC, right?  Those games are all conference games for their rivals.

4) Not a drop of the money that we paid them would ever touch an academic unit at ASU.

So by your logic we should send the money to competing states so that there schools have bigger ath programs with in turn bring in students and create alum who build businesses near the schools ?
How do you think those schools got to be div 1.
Stop thinking of your small world and think of the larger area known as ARKansas. That is what would be gained,, a better state to compete with areas like Birmingham, Memphis, and Dallas for companies that are not moving here because our infrastructure  is so week. The only loser here is the kids of this state not having bigger schools to go to if they are not a part of the 20k kids that get to go to uof a .   

HatfieldHog

I heard an interview of Frank Broyles recently, and he commented on the possible matchup of Ark.--ASU, and he said that his theory came from John Barnhill.  "...You never give the fan base of the state of Arkansas a chance to divide itself..."  Broyles said that a game with ASU would give Hog fans the chance to "root for the underdog" and could divide their loyalty.  It is true!  This is why Arkansas has nothing to gain from an instate game with the Red Wolves!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

RAF

Quote from: sigpooie on February 28, 2012, 09:58:30 am
So by your logic we should send the money to competing states so that there schools have bigger ath programs with in turn bring in students and create alum who build businesses near the schools ?
How do you think those schools got to be div 1.
Stop thinking of your small world and think of the larger area known as ARKansas. That is what would be gained,, a better state to compete with areas like Birmingham, Memphis, and Dallas for companies that are not moving here because our infrastructure  is so week. The only loser here is the kids of this state not having bigger schools to go to if they are not a part of the 20k kids that get to go to uof a .
What on earth are you talking about?

snortman

Quote from: HatfieldHog on February 28, 2012, 10:05:02 am
I heard an interview of Frank Broyles recently, and he commented on the possible matchup of Ark.--ASU, and he said that his theory came from John Barnhill.  "...You never give the fan base of the state of Arkansas a chance to divide itself..."  Broyles said that a game with ASU would give Hog fans the chance to "root for the underdog" and could divide their loyalty.  It is true!  This is why Arkansas has nothing to gain from an instate game with the Red Wolves!

See ya

A theory, is this so-called theory written down or is this just FB in his heyday ruling with an iron fist.

(notOM)Rebel123

...this would add almost 10% to the total asu budget of 11 million.

And with this statement, you just helped answer the question of why the U of A doesn't play ASU. It is not the U of A's job to help increase ASU's athletic budget.
As another posted stated, "a game with them would be like Wal Mart allowing Target to use their vast resources to help improve their operation."

snortman

Quote from: Rebel123 on February 28, 2012, 10:38:46 am
And with this statement, you just helped answer the question of why the U of A doesn't play ASU. It is not the U of A's job to help increase ASU's athletic budget.
As another posted stated, "a game with them would be like Wal Mart allowing Target to use their vast resources to help improve their operation."

That's just a stupid comparison

(notOM)Rebel123

Stupid, really? How wise is it for a business to provide growth opportunities to one of their competitors?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: uams1989 on February 28, 2012, 09:24:21 am
I agree that government should stay out of sports, but, don't put it past them.

I'm savoring the irony of the government staying out of the affairs of two branches of the government. 

I agree that we've got bigger fish to fry, but we're not talking about the NFL or MLB here.  We're talking about two government agencies.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

sigpooie

We should be for growth not scared of the fact that we would grow as a state. We are all living in the same system. And don't worry that's not the edge of the world over the state line.

gostAte

No!!

Y'all would probably win in a similar fashion of our beat down of UCA but why put your rep on the line like us.