Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Hate The University of Arkansas

Started by corndo, November 15, 2005, 03:11:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

corndo

This was the title of an article in The Herald of Arkansas State University by Sam Pierce. Apparently he, along with other ASU faithful, are very upset that

the University of Arkansas will not play them in any sporting event (thanks to Frank). He is basiclly calling all ASU students to in a sense, boycott the

University of Arkansas, and stated that it should be an "unspoken" law that no ASU students should be fan of the Hogs, wear their apparel, or have any

Razorback symbol on their car. There is more in the article, so I'll let you guys read it yourselves. Man, I knew there was hurt feeling and bad blood in

Jonesboro, but I honestly had no idea. I personally think the ban is stupid and it would be a game that would generate a lot of interest in the state. As far

as Sam's notion at the end of the article about "that one time" when ASU would rise up and beat the Hogs... Well, I don't know about that one!

Here's the article: http://www.asuherald.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/11/14/437932663378a

Net Hog

Frank Arkansas darn University and anyone that thinks that Arkansas should play them.

boomo26

Arkansas would have everything to lose and nothing to gain to play them

Biggus Piggus

I know people who played at Arkansas State and remain Razorback fans.  This hater sentiment is a fringe element.  Among their leading boosters, though, there's a hardcore anti-Hog group.
[CENSORED]!

ogar_hog

Being a former ASU student I never had hurt feelings about the UofA not playing us.  Really ASU would get killed.  I can see why the University wouldn't schedule game because they have nothing to gain. 

Arkansas to recruit:  We beat ASU this year

Recruit:  Arizona State? Great

Arkansas: No Arkansas State

Recruit: Who cares?

corndo

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 15, 2005, 03:17:31 pm
I know people who played at Arkansas State and remain Razorback fans. This hater sentiment is a fringe element. Among their leading boosters, though, there's a hardcore anti-Hog group.

I figured as much, but I was surprised that some had so much animosity towards the University of Arkansas.

GrizzledHogFan

OK, I personally don't know why some Razorbacks fans are so dead set against us playing ASU.  Could someone please explain?  It makes sense to me that if they want us to clobber them year in and year out, go ahead and grant them their wish.  Why not play them instead of ULM?  I don't see the harm.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Net Hog

Net Hog

Quote from: gmb_79 on November 15, 2005, 03:21:27 pm
OK, I personally don't know why some Razorbacks fans are so dead set against us playing ASU. Could someone please explain? It makes sense to me that if they want us to clobber them year in and year out, go ahead and grant them their wish. Why not play them instead of ULM? I don't see the harm.

I think some posters already addressed that.

Not good enough?

Ask LSU people about it.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: boomo26 on November 15, 2005, 03:17:29 pm

How do you figure?  Arkansas would never lose the game, and we could improve our strength of schedule (slightly) if we played them instead of Div I-AA MO State.

hogsanity

Quote from: gmb_79 on November 15, 2005, 03:28:15 pm

How do you figure? Arkansas would never lose the game, and we could improve our strength of schedule (slightly) if we played them instead of Div I-AA MO State.
[/quote

If no other reason, ASU would want a home game and thats one less that the Hogs get.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HairyHog

There is a "Cupcake" on the schedule every year....
Boise State, Weber State, North Texas, New Mexico State, Louisiana- Monroe, Missour State. 

Why not schedule an "instate" cupcake. 

Hogeye_Pierce

How do you figure? Arkansas would never lose the game, and we could improve our strength of schedule (slightly) if we played them instead of Div I-AA MO State.

Tired and very old argument. The state of Arkansas ALREADY produces very few D1 caliber football players. U of A has the inside market on most right now. Promoting an in-state rival increases the chances of losing the key in-state players the Hogs might need. No reason financially or competition-wise to do that.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

hogsanity

Quote from: HairyHog on November 15, 2005, 03:39:21 pm
Boise State, Weber State, North Texas, New Mexico State, Louisiana- Monroe, Missour State.

Because that in state cupcake will want a home game, the others dont
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

whatsshakinbacon

Because Arkansas State doesn't need any more cupcakes on their schedule.

Bacon out...

HogFather

And if they want to play us so bad then we can save some money....and not pay them very much if at all.

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 15, 2005, 03:57:20 pm
I go to asu and wear my hog hat everyday, plus you see more razorback stuff on campus in one day than you see asu stuff in a semester. so frick this prick, not asu.

Most of us know that. Heck, my sister and brother-in-law are both ASU grads and BIG Hog fans too. It's the vocal minority that gets all the press though and the rest of us suffer because of them.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

corndo

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 15, 2005, 03:57:20 pm
I go to asu and wear my hog hat everyday, plus you see more razorback stuff on campus in one day than you see asu stuff in a semester. so frick this prick, not asu.

Thanks for your comments bigpigpimpin. Are you familiar with this guy? What is the general mood concerning the Razorbacks on campus?

LSUFan

Quote from: Net Hog on November 15, 2005, 03:22:29 pm

Not good enough?

Ask LSU people about it.

I think it was in the 1980 season, LSU had hopes of playing for the NC, and Tulane handed them their asses on a platter during the last game of regular season, and they wound up playing Nebraska in the Orange Bowl.

clemensrules01

Quote from: hogsanity on November 15, 2005, 03:46:12 pm

Because that in state cupcake will want a home game, the others dont
wouldn't a game at arkansas state be a home game for us. i mean i know we don't pull in money off of it or anything. but the fans would still be in our favor.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 15, 2005, 03:17:31 pmI know people who played at Arkansas State and remain Razorback fans.  This hater sentiment is a fringe element.  Among their leading boosters, though, there's a hardcore anti-Hog group.

A guy I went to school with who started on their o-line a couple years ago is a huge Razorback fan, along with the majority of their student base.

Their boosters are as rabid and irrational as the far left.  They're very humorous to listen to.

Call Mr. Sow

The reason we don't play Arkansas State is because of years like this one.

I don't think they'd beat us, but it's not exactly out of the realm of possibility this season.

Man do we suck!

B-VilleHOG

just to put my john hancock on the post, playing arkansas st. would really not get us anywhere except new press. i personally dont like the idea, but would like to see a better matchup game than UL-Monroe/Lafayette

Ugly Uncle

I used to live in Jonesboro and even took some classes at ASU.  The first college football game I ever went to was an ASU game.  I always liked them, but I was a Razorback fan more.  After being exposed to the people that hate U of A sports I have completely turned.  Region 8 news used to have a sportscaster that would smirk and seemed to really enjoy whenever the Razorbacks would lose.  I now don't care what happens with the Indians.  I barely pay attention to them because of this.

Tell me this:  Why would ASU want to play Arkansas?  They know that 99 out of 100 they would lose in whatever sport.  They want Arkansas to help them with money and the ability to recruit.  Someone already made the point, Arkansas has precious few D1 talent players already.

ASU (the extreme fringe boosters) are whiners and beggars.  They are just pissed because U of A won't give them a hand out.  Here is an idea...become a program that deserves a shot.  Then we'll talk.  Quit begging U of A to give you some kind of pseudo-respectability.  Because right now you are just pathetic.  Really...pathetic.  GO UCA!!!
Retired Radio Host

kremlinhog

are we closer to usc as a football school or arkansas state, and during nutts tenure what has the direction been vs these two schools.
dont forget, southwest mo state, division x outscored us 14-0 in the third quarter and were still in the game at the start of the fourth qujarter.
not a good idea to play asu  with with nutt at the helm, anything is possible with him

clemensrules01

Quote from: kremlinhog on November 15, 2005, 06:44:31 pm
are we closer to usc as a football school or arkansas state, and during nutts tenure what has the direction been vs these two schools.
dont forget, southwest mo state, division x outscored us 14-0 in the third quarter and were still in the game at the start of the fourth qujarter.
not a good idea to play asu with with nutt at the helm, anything is possible with him
you could ask the same question about oklahoma and many other programs. usc is on another level.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: uglyuncle on November 15, 2005, 06:16:16 pmRegion 8 news used to have a sportscaster that would smirk and seemed to really enjoy whenever the Razorbacks would lose.

That's Dick Clay.  He'd only show Razorback scores if they lost.  Good thing he retired several years ago.  The man is truly a douchebag.

RazorRedneck

The problem with playing ASU is if it ever did turn into a rivarly game there is the possibility that ASU could start getting some of the small number of Division I talent that exist in the state of Arkansas that the UofA never has to fight ASU for.  Look at MSU and Ole Miss they have to fight for players in their small state and they both suck.

NuttsSacked

Jesus!  Just play the frickers a couple of times and stomp the shiite out of them so all this BS can be put to rest.  ULM BEAT THEM!!!

RazorRedneck

HatfieldHog

I got an Idea!  Schedule Ark. State in October, that way we don't go O for October!     Brilliant!       
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

mikeirwin

How do you know they'd never lose to them ? Crazy stuff happens in football all the time. I've seen a team beat another team where if they played 10 more times the winner couldn't get within 30 points of the loser. But on that one day it happened. You let those A-State loonies win just once and you'd never hear the end of it.
I have no problem with A-State fans who just support their team. But the anti Razorback bunch reminds me of a swarm of horseflies buzzing around your head. BUZZZ. BUZZZ. SWAT! SWAT ! BUZZZ.

idochog

The anti-hog ASU fans arent just flies they are those green-colored turd flies.
I love Jesus!

94 Hawg

"That one time where everything would just seemed to work for us and not work for them."

"I recently attended a UALR and ASU women's soccer game"

and I'm suppose to take what this guy writes seriously? ???
asu needs to get over this lil' inferiority complex on their own. Arkansas didn't become a major D-1 school by playing a in-state rival, so it is possible
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

ledhead830

As a resident of Jonesboro, I know of the animosity.  10 percent of the ASU alums hate the University of Arkansas.  30 percent love the Razorbacks.  And the remaining 60 percent doesn't care.  My parents are both ASU alums, my sister is an ASU alum, her best friend is an ASU alum.  They all live in Jonesboro or Benton, and they have all been to more Razorback games in the past two years than Indian games.  I, for one, could not go to ASU if my life depended on it, and that is why I came here.  And the fact that I was raised a Hog fan by ASU alums. 
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.

Bomis Hawg

ULM = potential Sun Belt Champions every other year or so.

Ark State = potential runner-up, every other year

;D

Seriously, though, ULM and Arkansas State are basically the same.  Just stick with ULM and let ASU live off of Ok State and Mizzou.  Why do they care?

Didn't LSU have/choose to play the in-state schools every year.  ULL, ULM, Tulane, and LT?

chiefsfan

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on November 16, 2005, 12:36:11 am
ULM = potential Sun Belt Champions every other year or so.

Ark State = potential runner-up, every other year

;D

Seriously, though, ULM and Arkansas State are basically the same. Just stick with ULM and let ASU live off of Ok State and Mizzou. Why do they care?

Didn't LSU have/choose to play the in-state schools every year. ULL, ULM, Tulane, and LT?

ULM hasnt come close to winning a title ever in the Belt.   This is there first chance at it.   and if they lose 1 of there next 2...good chance ASU takes the title...

LSU chooses to play the instate schools they face...as it is with most.   What irks some ASU fans is the Deal the hogs have with ULM right now...its a really stupid agreement, and Frank basically made it to make sure that he could put an end to the ASU debate once and for all.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

November 16, 2005, 12:56:01 am #37 Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 12:58:24 am by chiefsfan
QuoteTell me this:  Why would ASU want to play Arkansas?  They know that 99 out of 100 they would lose in whatever sport.  They want Arkansas to help them with money and the ability to recruit.  Someone already made the point, Arkansas has precious few D1 talent players already.

Okay Ill bite.  ASU has to play one team a year that they would lose to 99 times out of 100.  These teams range from Missouri, to Oklahoma, to LSU, to Georgia...etc.  I also expect them to play Auburn very soon.

ASU would simply rather play the hogs because we know we could generate interest in the game.   and contrary to popular belief, ASU's AD has said several times he would play the hogs anywhere...  Most of us know there is no way the game would be in Jonesboro.   Some would like to play it in Little Rock...but heck we'd board the bus and head to the hill right now if we knew we could get a game in.

Frank Broyles is scared of the instate opponents.  He made the baseball team pull out of a tourney they entered a few years back because ASU was in it.   He has made deals with teams like ULM...or SWMS to keep ASU or UCA from playing the hogs.  I dont blame him...the policy of not playing instate schools came into being long before we knew that Frank Broyles would be the AD here.     and judging by what ASU did to the hogs in Womens Bball this year, there is no way on earth the two will ever get a game in again.

BTW the guy who wrote the article is a hog hater...well known on the campus here...  and as with every story ever published by the Herald it contains at least 57,000 grammatical or spelling errors...

lastly Ive gotta know...how many on here when playing the NCAA football video games have played at least 1 game as the hogs vs ASU or Vice-Versa.   Because something tells me that most everyone has.   All we are asking for is ONE FREAKIN GAME.   Not a regular series or anything...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Ugly Uncle

Give me one reason why Arkansas should play ASU other than ASU being a beggar and U of A dropping a quarter in the coffee cup? 

U of A already has the states interest.  ASU nope.

U of A would be helping a midgit get a little taller.  Hey, here is a thought...lose your short man's complex and become a quality program on your own.
Retired Radio Host

Net Hog

This nonsense has to stop.

ASU sucks.

end of story.

Geohul

I love how the guys inspirational point of reference is from the movie Little Giants.  Of all the sports movies he could have drawn from he picked little giants.

hogsrule44

November 16, 2005, 03:30:46 pm #41 Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 03:32:25 pm by hogsrule44
I'm all for this with the understanding that all proceeds go to the uoa.  why should we bankroll their bankrupt program?  Also we will not take out our first team for any reason.  thirdly they will have to play uca before us and uapb after us.  off course all games will have to be @razorback stadium.  lea, I could go for this.  I still admire Pittsbgurgh State for beetin the piss out of them one year  --  I thought that would shut them up.  I just thought of another one--they have to have one winning season out of ten to play us.

thorr

Has everyone forgetton the UA-ASU NIT basketball game in '87?  It took double overtime for us to win.  If that game had gone the other way, ASU would have been on the rise and had the ability to move up in recruiting.  As it was, Phillip McKeller transferred from UA to ASU.  UA has absolutly nothing to gain by playing ASU.  If we won 100 times in a row, we gain nothing more than we already get from an annual win or ULM.  But on that one in 100 loss, its disastrous.  Do we want to create an instate recruiting rival?  Anyone remember Jonathon Adams?  I wouldn't guarantee us winning this year.   

GrizzledHogFan

From what I've read in this thread so far, it seems like the biggest reason for us not to play ASU is that we're scared to.  That's kinda sad.

thorr

Quote from: gmb_79 on November 16, 2005, 04:08:48 pm
From what I've read in this thread so far, it seems like the biggest reason for us not to play ASU is that we're scared to.  That's kinda sad.

Sad... but true...

hogsrule44

yea i can see where anyone would be scared of a power like U of A junior.  boy that nit game where we about had our worst team playing their best team.  and they still couldn't beat us.  quick name a top 25 club that asu has beeten in fb or bb.  quick now!!!!!!!!  now thats a program rich in history

corndo

Quote from: gmb_79 on November 16, 2005, 04:08:48 pm

I don't think most of the fans and players are scared to play them, but I bet Frank is!

Bomis Hawg

ULM beat North Texas prior to their long winning streak in the conference.  Last time prior to this year.  They head the list of FAU, Troy, and UL-Lafayette.

If ULM beats ULL, the conference title is theirs.  Arkansas State has to knock off North Texas, on the road like ULM.  Not sure either will win that game.

thorr

November 16, 2005, 04:49:13 pm #48 Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 04:53:24 pm by thorr
Quote from: hogsrule44 on November 16, 2005, 04:25:01 pm
yea i can see where anyone would be scared of a power like U of A junior. boy that nit game where we about had our worst team playing their best team. and they still couldn't beat us. quick name a top 25 club that asu has beeten in fb or bb. quick now!!!!!!!! now thats a program rich in history

ASU has no history and has never beaten anyone.  '87 was their 1st or 2nd best year ever and one of our worst in the past 25 years.  But that's why we shouldn't play.  In the next quarter century we'll be down sometime and they'll be up and why do we want to lose to a worthless instate program?  If we're going to lose to worthless schools, I'd rather lose to a worthless out-of-state school. 

By the way, Go Jackets!

HogFather

Quote from: B-VilleHOG on November 15, 2005, 06:00:05 pm
just to put my john hancock on the post, playing arkansas st. would really not get us anywhere except new press. i personally dont like the idea, but would like to see a better matchup game than UL-Monroe/Lafayette

Those schools beat Ark. State.  Would it really be a better matchup?