Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mississippi State has made a move toward the "winable" category.

Started by JIHawg, August 23, 2019, 11:15:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

1.  NCAA problems

2.  Mississippi State QB Keytaon Thompson reportedly enters transfer portal day after not being named starter. 

SugarHillGaHog

Quote from: JIHawg on August 23, 2019, 11:15:03 pm
1.  NCAA problems

2.  Mississippi State QB Keytaon Thompson reportedly enters transfer portal day after not being named starter.

There are a couple threads on this in SEC Sports if you ever visit that forum.  I do not think it makes the game any more winnable.  I think there is a more than fair shot at winning it with or without him.

LittlePigMan

SugarHillGaHog

Quote from: LittlePigMan on August 23, 2019, 11:50:25 pm
This is what happens when you name a starter.

I think it comes down to a young man thinking he was the chosen one and got passed over at MSU.  Going from what I've seen from Morris it's compete for the job and earn it.  He's not giving any of us a clue yet.  I'm fine with it.

31to6

Quote from: SugarHillGaHog on August 24, 2019, 12:07:29 am
I think it comes down to a young man thinking he was the chosen one and got passed over at MSU.  Going from what I've seen from Morris it's compete for the job and earn it.  He's not giving any of us a clue yet.  I'm fine with it.
Mullen recruit. Wonder if he ends up at FL?

bennyl08

Quote from: 31to6 on August 24, 2019, 12:40:56 am
Mullen recruit. Wonder if he ends up at FL?

As good as Mullen recruited as MSU that'd almost be like an SMU player transferring to Arkansas to compete. What Mullen can recruit at Florida far outpaces most anybody he recruited at MSU.

And yes, I know they had a crazy draft this past year. That was largely an anomaly even for Mullen. To match their three first round picks this year, you have to sum up every first round pick from 2018 draft through the 1996 draft. He could transfer to Florida, but would likely be beaten out by a superior athlete despite already knowing Mullen's system better.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Tick Hog

Quote from: LittlePigMan on August 23, 2019, 11:50:25 pm
This is what happens when you name a starter.
Was thinking the exact same thing. I read somewhere where this happened at another school today ( maybe NC ). I'm not sure if delaying the naming here would matter or not, but I guess that could be a reason for the wait.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 24, 2019, 12:50:45 am
As good as Mullen recruited as MSU that'd almost be like an SMU player transferring to Arkansas to compete. What Mullen can recruit at Florida far outpaces most anybody he recruited at MSU.

And yes, I know they had a crazy draft this past year. That was largely an anomaly even for Mullen. To match their three first round picks this year, you have to sum up every first round pick from 2018 draft through the 1996 draft. He could transfer to Florida, but would likely be beaten out by a superior athlete despite already knowing Mullen's system better.

Thompson was a 4 star player out of HS by all the services and I believe Felipe Franks is a SR. UF has not exactly been known for "superior athletes" at QB since Tebow left. This guy has had accuracy problems but IS a superior athlete.

https://247sports.com/Player/Keytaon-Thompson-78058/high-school-135815/

They have had a bunch of tackling dummies like Del Rio other than the ones who transferred OUT like Brissett and Grier..

As for MSU, they'd better hope they can keep Stevens healthy. He has 24 completions in his career partly due to  multiple injuries at Penn St. The other QBs on their roster have a total of 2 completions in their combined careers..

Penn State didn't shed any tears when Stevens left. He was hurt and missed spring practice and his father was quoted as saying he didn't know if Stevens would have been welcome back on their team had he not transferred..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

go hogues

Would love to get Thompson. He looked great anytime he played last year.

On "The first Team" the other morning, they were salivating all over Stevens like he had the name Manning on the back of his jersey. He's been a career backup. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Talking heads L O V E them some MSU this season.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Pudgepork

Quote from: go hogues on August 24, 2019, 07:59:16 am
Would love to get Thompson. He looked great anytime he played last year.

On "The first Team" the other morning, they were salivating all over Stevens like he had the name Manning on the back of his jersey. He's been a career backup. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Talking heads L O V E them some MSU this season.

I don't get the MSU love that I'm hearing.  They have the athletes to be a solid team but not  likely to be sec champions.  Morehead hasn't won over the fan base yet.  A solid 8-10 win season this year and he can coach out his career in Starkville.  I just don't see where they are more than a middLe of the pack team in 2019. 

Hogs need 3 SEC wins to climb into middle of the pack level.  To achieve that, MSU probably moves down to under middle of the pack

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 24, 2019, 12:50:45 am

Wow. Like Hicks? Who we all know would be starting if Starkel hadn't shown up.

AugustaHog

I could see Thompson heading to UF.  He's a Mullen guy and has some ability.  Franks is awful and I think Mullen would welcome getting him out of the way.  Make no mistake about it, he's not as good as the numbers looked down the stretch last season.  I'm not sure that Thompson is a massive upgrade, but he offers that dual threat ability that Mullen likes.  MSU is now paper thin at QB.  If Stevens goes down, they will be in dire straits.

HardCore

By the time we get to them on the schedule, they will be playing like the damn Patriots
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

SemperHawg

In what world is any SEC game in the winnable category based on what we  saw last night?