Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

9MM vs. 40 S&W vs .45 vs. .357 SIG vs. etc etc.....

Started by DOGALUM, June 04, 2014, 02:05:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DOGALUM

Interested in what you guys and girls prefer to shoot.  Whether it be home protection, range shooting, carry.....whatever.   

Any pros and cons you might have concerning specific rounds and/or specific handguns......please share.   

Quite frankly....I like them all in various roles.  I shoot 9 and 40 the majority of the time mostly due to ammunition prices.   (kiddos can burn through ammo almost as quick as I can) 

Anyway.......thoughts?
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

grayhawg

Just for shooting the 9mm is my favorite, but the one I keep close by to protect my family is my 357 with hand loaded 125 grain HP

DirtTrackFan

I use 'em all for protection plus a smaller gun in concealed carry  :D

Hogs run wild

Prefer 22lr to shoot/plink. Carry 9mm hollows. Home defense with much more.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

kodiakisland

First rule in a gun fight:  Have a gun.

People have successfully defended themselves with everything possible from 22 shorts to the biggest handguns made.  Having a gun accessible that you are familiar with is key.

I personally like a 45 colt commander and that's what I have on my when I think I need it.  I have many handguns in many different calibers and enjoy them all.  When on the farm I usually have a FA97 in 32H&R.  My wifes bedside gun is a ruger sp101 in 32H&R.  I have several other 32s.  They are just a lot of fun and pack plenty of power.  There's a reason the old timers liked the 32-20.

I have 9mm and 40S&W as well.  I prefer the 40 to the 9 but either would do.

As far as what I shoot the most, it would be three different versions of the ruger MKII in 22lr.  I would guess they get at least 2000 rounds through them a year.  Next up would be my FA in either 32H&R or 327.  2000 rounds a year for it as well.  After that a ruger bisley in 45 colt gets the nod.  Everything else gets shot to stay familiar with them, probably 200 rounds a year.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Torqued pork

A sawed-off 12 guage for home protection. A .45 for concealed carry.

DOGALUM

Quote from: kodiakisland on June 04, 2014, 07:29:15 pm
First rule in a gun fight:  Have a gun.

People have successfully defended themselves with everything possible from 22 shorts to the biggest handguns made.  Having a gun accessible that you are familiar with is key.

I personally like a 45 colt commander and that's what I have on my when I think I need it.  I have many handguns in many different calibers and enjoy them all.  When on the farm I usually have a FA97 in 32H&R.  My wifes bedside gun is a ruger sp101 in 32H&R.  I have several other 32s.  They are just a lot of fun and pack plenty of power.  There's a reason the old timers liked the 32-20.

I have 9mm and 40S&W as well.  I prefer the 40 to the 9 but either would do.

As far as what I shoot the most, it would be three different versions of the ruger MKII in 22lr.  I would guess they get at least 2000 rounds through them a year.  Next up would be my FA in either 32H&R or 327.  2000 rounds a year for it as well.  After that a ruger bisley in 45 colt gets the nod.  Everything else gets shot to stay familiar with them, probably 200 rounds a year.
I always look forward to your comments in a shooting related thread. 

Pudgepork

I like a .45 but I use a 9mm much much more.   Cheaper
to use and with the 147 gr hollow points, plenty of punch.
Just read recently that a chain reaction of events made the
.40 more popular than it probably should have.

It started basically with poor performance of the bullets
used by the FBI in the Miami shoot out against a car
windshield,doors and frame.   The FBI started looking
for replacements and chose the .40 S&W.     Glock took
advantage and made police depts across the country
deals that they couldn't refuse.   It was said to be like,
we'll pay you to use our guns.    A high number of
depts went with .40 due to the FBI decision.

I just read where a huge number of those depts and the
FBI are going back to the 9mm because their accuracy
took a nose dive after switching to the .40.  The added
recoil is being blamed on the scores dropping.

The new hollow points in any caliber are a huge improvement
over offerings 20 yrs ago.   Shoot what you are comfortable
with and shoot often.  The rest will work out

1highhog

I carry a Glock 40 wherever I go, you see me, I have it.  I have this and a pocket concealed 22Mag, it's actually more accurate than I ever thought it would be when buying it, but with some hours of practice, it's a lethal little shooter, and the sound alone will scare someone good.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Albert Einswine

.38 Special revolver, 1911 Government and a Springfield XDS .45, but I'm thinking of adding a Sig P938 to the mix.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Hawgon

I like the .45 but the 9mm is so much cheaper and available in some really nice small packages right now.  There are so many good concealed carry options out there that it is hard to go wrong.  I wouldn't want to get shot by any of them.

jrulz83

Glock 32, .357 sig is expensive to shoot. Although, it is fun on a range when people see the muzzle flash and hear the sound it makes; they have to ask, "What was that?"

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

grayhawg

Quote from: LSUFan on June 09, 2014, 09:03:42 pm
458 Weatherby Mag, 400 grain hollow points.
Expecting an Elephant to break into your house?

pigture perfect

My favorite is the 44 mag. I usually carry a 9mm or 22 for concealment. Not really impressed with the 40's I've shot. Might as well use a .45.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

1highhog

Dollar for dollar and getting the most knock down for your buck I still like carrying my 40 Cal.  I also have a 357 Sig Glock, but it's really just to much gun for personal protection for my use, and I carry 3 or 4 times a week.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

1highhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on June 10, 2014, 09:57:46 am
I have 45, 40 and 38 special handguns.

I have the 45 as well, I don't have any 38 specials.  They used to be the guns to go to.  Good collection though Delta.

1highhog

I still want to highly recommend the 22 magnum I have pictured above for personal protection for something that you can carry everywhere.  For such a small package, a 22 magnum can do plenty of damage and do what it is required to do, give us a chance to get away.

DOGALUM

I picked up a S&W  M&P Shield in 9MM for my wife last week.  Fun gun to shoot. 

kodiakisland

Took advantage of a cool summer day to do some shooting.  Here are a few shots at my range.

This is from the 450 yard line.

I need to do a bit of tree trimming to shoot past 500 yards. 
Here is my shooting bench.  About the only way I can see over the grass.

A little video of the action, if you can call it that.

The selection for today.

End of the day

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

kodiakisland

I don't remember the actual amount.  I found it in Colorado Springs several years ago while doing some training at Ft Carson.  It was several hundred dollars cheaper than anywhere I had seen them, plus I had it shipped to my local FFL, saving me another $100 not paying sales tax.

kibster

I shoot 9mm exclusively.  I shoot competitively and the most people use 9mm in my division (it is really all that makes sense).  Plus the amount of rounds I go through in a year, it makes the most financial sense (just figured it up and looks like ~2500 since the first weekend in May. 
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

1highhog

Quote from: kibster on June 11, 2014, 10:49:55 pm
I shoot 9mm exclusively.  I shoot competitively and the most people use 9mm in my division (it is really all that makes sense).  Plus the amount of rounds I go through in a year, it makes the most financial sense (just figured it up and looks like ~2500 since the first weekend in May. 

Have you ever watched a bulletproof vest put on a gelatin dummy shot with a 9mm and then one shot with a 357 sig?  That's why I like the larger calibers for my personal protection.  Especially for in home protection.

kibster

Quote from: 1highhog on June 11, 2014, 11:43:36 pm
Have you ever watched a bulletproof vest put on a gelatin dummy shot with a 9mm and then one shot with a 357 sig?  That's why I like the larger calibers for my personal protection.  Especially for in home protection.

Yeah.  9mm has very little stopping power.  But I wouldn't use a 9mm for home protection. 
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Rzbakfromwaybak

The .40, 45 & 357 sig....are all certainly more powerful than the 9mm.  However, its not always about power.  A good hollow point bullet in a 9mm at normal personal protection distances.....can be very effective.  It is usually easier to control, not as likely to pass thru the bad guys & go thru doors or walls, that bystanders or family may occupy. 

There are people that don't believe the 9mm is enough gun for protection.  There are also a lot of people in graveyards that would argue with them.....if they could.  The most important thing will end up being what you actually shoot well....both gun & caliber.

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

1highhog

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 12, 2014, 02:21:36 am
The .40, 45 & 357 sig....are all certainly more powerful than the 9mm.  However, its not always about power.  A good hollow point bullet in a 9mm at normal personal protection distances.....can be very effective.  It is usually easier to control, not as likely to pass thru the bad guys & go thru doors or walls, that bystanders or family may occupy. 

There are people that don't believe the 9mm is enough gun for protection.  There are also a lot of people in graveyards that would argue with them.....if they could.  The most important thing will end up being what you actually shoot well....both gun & caliber.

I'll agree with you there.

DOGALUM

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 12, 2014, 02:21:36 am

I agree too.  The difference between the 9 and the others....especially the .40 looks much bigger on paper than it does on a man.  That's not a knock on the others....nor is it me saying that I prefer the 9 over the others. 

If someone is threatening me or mine, I feel just as comfortable with a 9 as I do with the other calibers. 

kibster

tophawg19

if you want to test the guns find an old car . either in a field or abandoned in the woods . somebody parking on your hunting lease or favorite fishing spot works to .lol . Anyway hopefully they have both doors . back off 30 feet or so for safety and sit down to shoot level . . i tested on an old VW . the .22 shot through 1 door same with the 32 . the 380 went through 1 and left dents in the far side . The 9.mm went through both but barely . The ,38 and the other larger rounds shot through both easily . The 12 gauge slugs were devastating as was buck shot although not all went through. 2nd tests were walls with 2x4's and sheet rock . All i can say is be CAREFUL WHERE YOU ARE SHOOTING . Every one went through 2 sheets of  sheet rock . only the 22 and 25 didn't appear to have enough to be fatal on the 3rd sheet set 10 feet back behind the other wall . hitting 2x4's changed things a good bit .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Old Tusk

The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 12, 2014, 08:55:29 pm

if you want to test the guns find an old car . either in a field or abandoned in the woods . somebody parking on your hunting lease or favorite fishing spot works to .lol . Anyway hopefully they have both doors . back off 30 feet or so for safety and sit down to shoot level . . i tested on an old VW . the .22 shot through 1 door same with the 32 . the 380 went through 1 and left dents in the far side . The 9.mm went through both but barely . The ,38 and the other larger rounds shot through both easily . The 12 gauge slugs were devastating as was buck shot although not all went through. 2nd tests were walls with 2x4's and sheet rock . All i can say is be CAREFUL WHERE YOU ARE SHOOTING . Every one went through 2 sheets of  sheet rock . only the 22 and 25 didn't appear to have enough to be fatal on the 3rd sheet set 10 feet back behind the other wall . hitting 2x4's changed things a good bit .

Lol......now that's funny   +1.     Please let us know where you fish & approx. where your lease is.  Don't want to make an expensive mistake that results in a cold draft as I travel down the road in the winter.....

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: kibster on June 12, 2014, 08:30:32 pm

I ordered a custom one of these yesterday.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01-accu-shadow-9mm-black-3x18-rd-mags-by-cz-custom/

I owned a CZ  9mm 4"....  believe it was a 75B.  Great gun, very accurate & dependable.  Buddy talked me into selling it to him a few years ago. CZ makes fine products, congrats on your purchase.

kibster

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 13, 2014, 06:45:29 pm
I owned a CZ  9mm 4"....  believe it was a 75B.  Great gun, very accurate & dependable.  Buddy talked me into selling it to him a few years ago. CZ makes fine products, congrats on your purchase.

Thanks, it is my 2nd CZ. 75Bs are great guns. They are great guns. Their top sponsored shooter (and the guy customizing it for me) lives in Conway.

DOGALUM

June 22, 2014, 09:17:35 pm #35 Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 10:30:02 pm by DOGALUM
I've decided to do some horse trading with one of my pistols.

I've got a Beretta PX4 Storm full size in 40 S&W that I am looking to trade. 
It's a gun that my wife has carried in her vehicle for the last year and a half.  I bought it new in December 2012. 
It's had about 500 rounds run through it. 
Comes with two 14rd mags.......hell....comes with everything that came with it brand new.  Polimer frame....steel slide.   It's a good little gun.  I just bought her a new M&P shield and she carries that with her now.  I don't want to lose a gun.....just replace it with something I will shoot more. 

Looking to trade for possibly a revolver......nice .22 pistol......whatever . 
PM me to discuss.

Mods....I know this isn't the trade forum....just thought I'd throw it out there so some like minded people would see it.  Please PM me if I need to put it in Buy Sell Trade forum. 

DOGALUM

Sorry.....here's a couple pics.....

[attachment deleted by admin]

SpareRib

Sig P245 and Walther PPS 9mm.  Both great, but the Walther is a more comfortable concealed carry.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: 1highhog on June 10, 2014, 11:29:50 am
I have the 45 as well, I don't have any 38 specials.  They used to be the guns to go to.  Good collection though Delta.

My 38 is a 1968 Charter Undercover and it like your 22 mag it so small it can go every where.  I have a cheapo Hi-Point 45 that rest in my easy chair side pocket but it shoots straight and goes bang every time I pull the trigger.  It's stuffed with Cor-Bon 45 HP.  I got a Sigma 40 VE that my winter and Nightstand gun.  Then I have my old Ruger MKII that I bought the first year they came out in 83-85 I can't remember any more but it been a great pistol.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

CallThemHawgs!

10mm Glock 29sf in my center console at all times...

Shoots like a dream too, 10mm gets a bad rap but damn I love it.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 10, 2014, 08:51:36 pm
10mm Glock 29sf in my center console at all times...

Shoots like a dream too, 10mm gets a bad rap but damn I love it.

What's the rap on 10mm other than the "it's too powerful" rap from way back?

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 10, 2014, 08:53:07 pm

What's the rap on 10mm other than the "it's too powerful" rap from way back?

The its too powerful rap, and its hard to handle.

Now, with heavy 220gr Buffalo Bore hard cast its a bit of a handful. But, with regular self defense loads it feels like a small .40 with a bit more oomph.

I love it

Albert Einswine

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 10, 2014, 09:08:52 pm
The its too powerful rap, and its hard to handle.

Now, with heavy 220gr Buffalo Bore hard cast its a bit of a handful. But, with regular self defense loads it feels like a small .40 with a bit more oomph.

I love it

A buddy of mine bought a Colt Delta Elite 10mm in '89 right after I got out of the Air Force, that thing was sweet!

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 10, 2014, 09:14:01 pm

A buddy of mine bought a Colt Delta Elite 10mm in '89 right after I got out of the Air Force, that thing was sweet!

Oh those things are amazing. If I was going to carry a full size 1911, that would be it. Lord have mercy on anyone who came up against it.

BassinHawg

Interesting to read how everyone has there own preferences and opinions.

I'm wanting to add another handgun and I don't have a .40 so I have been thinking about and looking at either a Glock 27 or a Springfield XD 40.

I have watched several online reviews and it looks like it all boils down to personal preference rather the reliability or performance.

Anyone have one of these and care to review it?
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

kibster

Quote from: BassinHawg on September 11, 2014, 07:10:23 pm

I'm wanting to add another handgun and I don't have a .40 so I have been thinking about and looking at either a Glock 27 or a Springfield XD 40.

I have watched several online reviews and it looks like it all boils down to personal preference rather the reliability or performance.

As a general principle, I prefer XDs over Glocks.  They just fit my hands better and I also prefer the grip angle of the XDs.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: BassinHawg on September 11, 2014, 07:10:23 pm

If you are going to get a .40, just get the real .40 .... a 10mm

No sense in having the drawback of a .40 (snappy recoil) without the benefits.

.40 is an obsolete round IMO

Either get the soft shooting 9mm, or .45 ... or go with the big boy, 10mm. I owned an HK USP Compact in .40, it is the first and last one I will ever own.

kodiakisland

I like the .40 in a gun smaller than the commander but not pocket size.  My Sig P239 is the right amount of shootability with compact size.  In anything approaching a full size pistol, the 45 is hard to beat.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 12, 2014, 01:33:44 am
I like the .40 in a gun smaller than the commander but not pocket size.  My Sig P239 is the right amount of shootability with compact size.  In anything approaching a full size pistol, the 45 is hard to beat.

Yeah I could maybe see it in a small XD or something. But even then, what are the benefits?

Go with .357 sig if you want the higher velocities. It just serves no real purpose in my mind. If I want a compact semi auto, 9mm is fine. If I want a full size, Its .45 or 10mm

9mm gets a bad rap, but go get some hot Buffalo Bore +P and I can guarantee no one on the other end of that gun is going to be laughing

kodiakisland

September 12, 2014, 08:07:17 pm #49 Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 09:43:39 pm by kodiakisland
I prefer the 45 in a full size, so my thinking on the .40 is a heavy bullet in a smaller frame pistol this is still shootable.  A 200gr bullet around 850fps from a 3.5-3.8in barrel makes me happy.

Of course, colt perfected the pistol shortly after WWII when the commander model came out.