2013 basketball recruit Portis picks the Razorbacks

Started by Big Daddy, August 06, 2011, 06:12:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Daddy

poloprince

Kid is a beast plain and simple
$PoLoPrInCe$

hvsupastar

Haven't heard much about him. 6'9 for a 2013 kid means potential for 7 ft right?
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

mmhogs17

One of the 2013 studs, great pickup.

poloprince

Quote from: hvsupastar on August 06, 2011, 06:30:38 pm
Haven't heard much about him. 6'9 for a 2013 kid means potential for 7 ft right?

The Arkansas Class of 2011 will go down in history as one of the best classes ever for the Wings Elite Basketball program with an all time record of 22 Scholarships received, including 3 Razorback Signees. But before we crown it the best class ever, the class of 2013 has suddenly blossomed for the Wings as well as the Arkansas Mustangs. With 6' 2" Sophomore Guard Dedrick Lee already committed to the HOGS, with the emergence of 6' 9" Bobby Portis (Offers from Nebraska, Florida, Baylor), and 5' 10" Dayshawn Watkins as definite High Division 1 prospects this class will be special also. The size can only be compared to the class of 1984, with 6' 9" Tyler Mc Cullough, (Offers from Nebraska, Missouri State and others) 6' 9" Nick Smith, 6' 8" Payton Henson (Offer from Missouri State), 6' 8" Jack Schmidt, 6' 6" Ethan Lee, 6' 5" Darian Harris (Offers From Missouri State, Oral Roberts) 6' 5" Thomas Alexander. this class is loaded with front line players.

The 2013 guards include 6' 3" Manuale Watkins, 5' 10" Brandon Brady, 5' 9" Tim Boyd, 5' 10" Jamar Sturdivant, 6' 2" Jordan Brown for the Wings. Other great players in the class include Jonesboro Point Guard Kahron Ross, Parkviews I. J. Ready and more that I am sure I have left out. Each of the young men mentioned will in my opinion receive a College Scholarship. The 2011-12 High School year in Arkansas will be a great experience. I will do a complete list the next time I am on Drive Time Sports.

$PoLoPrInCe$

PoormansRobbyHampton

This won't affect Stokes' decision, will it?

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

mmhogs17

Scout updated his profile to 4 stars..

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

mmhogs17

Dogtown Donkey

August 06, 2011, 07:05:16 pm #10 Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 07:08:44 pm by Dogtown Donkey
2013 could look like this:

Bobby Portis
Dederick Lee
Aaron Ross

Probably the full class, depending on transfers. Powell and Nobles are the only scheduled seniors leaving before that class.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on August 06, 2011, 07:05:16 pm

Bobby Portis
Dederick Lee
Aaron Ross

Are we supposed to only sign 3 for 2013, if nobody leaves after this year (other than seniors)?

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 06, 2011, 07:06:32 pm
Are we supposed to only sign 3 for 2013, if nobody leaves after this year (other than seniors)?

Just edited.

If we sign the 3, something is going to have to go down to make that happen as Powell and Nobles would be the only seniors.

mmhogs17

Bobby Portis
Dederick Lee
Aaron Ross

Probably the full class, depending on transfers. Powell and Nobles are the only scheduled seniors leaving before that class.

You gotta fit Moses Kingsley in there somewhere.

Dogtown Donkey

Then again, Madden and/or Young could be gone by then as well. Forgot about those two talented guys. They (one or both) could very well be headed to the NBA after two years.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: mmhogs17 on August 06, 2011, 07:09:17 pm
You gotta fit Moses Kingsley in there somewhere.

Possible if Young and/or Madden go pro.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

The Boar War

Bobby Portis
Dederick Lee
Aaron Ross

So Ross is going juco rather than prep school?

The Hogfather

Quote from: The Boar War on August 06, 2011, 07:24:04 pm

Wait, that's a good point.  He'll be a '12 recruit now, right?

mmhogs17

Quote from: The Boar War on August 06, 2011, 07:24:04 pm

He's going Prep.. That means he could be in the 2012 class couldn't he?

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Dogtown Donkey

August 06, 2011, 07:45:16 pm #21 Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 07:50:33 pm by Dogtown Donkey
Quote from: mmhogs17 on August 06, 2011, 07:30:48 pm
He's going Prep.. That means he could be in the 2012 class couldn't he?

EDIT: Just saw the article with his brother stating he'd go to prep school.

The Hogfather

That's in the "Dudley Says" thread and in one in Jump Ball.  But, yeah, it is good news.

HogFanDan

So will the ideal 2012 class be:

Goodwin
Ross
Stokes

?

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: HogFanDan on August 06, 2011, 07:56:57 pm
So will the ideal 2012 class be:

Goodwin
Ross
Stokes

?

If we get those 3, I don't really care too much who the other two are. It probably wouldn't be too hard to sign Jalen Jackson out of West Memphis, if we wanted to. Maybe Dusty Hannahs? That's assuming we don't sign any higher rated players after those big 3.

chiefhawg

There should be 5 scholarship available for 2012.  There are 10 scholarship players on the roster now.  Waite and Sanchez will leave at the end of the season. Has Haydar been given a scholarship?

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: chiefhawg on August 06, 2011, 08:07:17 pm
There should be 5 scholarship available for 2012.  There are 10 scholarship players on the roster now.  Waite and Sanchez will leave at the end of the season. Has Haydar been given a scholarship?

Haven't heard anything about Kikko, but yes, there will be 5 scholarship available for 2012. I'm all for them giving that young man a scholarship for 2011.

HogFanDan

Forgot about the fact that we have 5 spots for next year!  I agree with you Dogtown, I'd love to get Jackson out of W. Memphis and another in-state kid.

Just to confirm my numbers, we'll have 5 spots for 2012 and 2 for 2013, correct (assuming we take 5 in 2012 and noone leaves early)?

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: HogFanDan on August 06, 2011, 08:10:28 pm
Forgot about the fact that we have 5 spots for next year!  I agree with you Dogtown, I'd love to get Jackson out of W. Memphis and another in-state kid.

Just to confirm my numbers, we'll have 5 spots for 2012 and 2 for 2013, correct (assuming we take 5 in 2012 and noone leaves early)?

Right. 5 in 2012, 2 in 2013 as of now.

I would count on Madden and/or Young going pro after their sophomore season, though.

Oklahawg

Gotta give one back in 2011, right?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

chiefhawg

Dusty Hannahs seems like the type of player to fit "The System". MA seems to like a knock down 3 point shooter to mesh with the hectic pace.  He likes to create a fast pace for the other team and after they are worn down, send in the shooter to take advantage of the other teams slower half court defensive reaction time.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 06, 2011, 08:15:59 pm
Gotta give one back in 2011, right?

Yep, and should be no problemo with only 10 scholarship players right now. We could take the APR and still give Kikko (just for 2011-2012) and even Nick Mason a scholarship.

Razorod

Also, I believe Sanchez could apply for a medical redshirt and thus get a sixth year couldn't he?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: Razorod on August 06, 2011, 08:56:45 pm
Also, I believe Sanchez could apply for a medical redshirt and thus get a sixth year couldn't he?

Good God I'd hope not.  A JB Hunt hiring manager needs to send him an offer to ensure he's gone
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

mmhogs17

I doubt Hannah's ever gets an offer. We're in it for too many good players.

Archie Goodwin - 5*
Jarnell Stokes - 5*
Danuel Houst - 5*
Chicken Knowles - 4*
Twymond Howard - 4*
Tevin Glass - 4*
Wannah Bail - 4*
Prince Ibeh - 4*
Charles Mitchell - 4*
Carlos Morris - 3*

Cresthog

Quote from: Razorod on August 06, 2011, 08:56:45 pm

I cringed.

beasley

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on August 06, 2011, 08:19:43 pm
Yep, and should be no problemo with only 10 scholarship players right now. We could take the APR and still give Kikko (just for 2011-2012) and even Nick Mason a scholarship.

Kikko is on a full academic schalorship, does he need one for basketball.
Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
Vince Lombardi

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: poloprince on August 06, 2011, 06:40:15 pm
Stokes 2012

I didn't even pay attention to the year. Thanks!

labb

Quote from: beasley on August 07, 2011, 12:50:26 am
Kikko is on a full academic schalorship, does he need one for basketball.
Don't think you can be on academic scholarship and play a sport in D-1.

hvsupastar

Quote from: mmhogs17 on August 06, 2011, 10:51:25 pm

Chicken Knowles - 4*
Wannah Bail - 4*
Prince Ibeh - 4*

Are those real people's names???????
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Nirvana1988

Quote from: mmhogs17 on August 06, 2011, 10:51:25 pm

Archie Goodwin - 5*
Jarnell Stokes - 5*
Danuel Houst - 5*
Chicken Knowles - 4*
Twymond Howard - 4*
Tevin Glass - 4*
Wannah Bail - 4*
Prince Ibeh - 4*
Charles Mitchell - 4*
Carlos Morris - 3*
you forgot Jalen Jackson

RAF

Quote from: labb on August 07, 2011, 06:57:44 am
Don't think you can be on academic scholarship and play a sport in D-1.
You can.  The school has to certify that the academic aid is in no way related to his athletic abilities, though (which they've done for Haydar).

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: poloprince on August 06, 2011, 06:35:34 pm

The Arkansas Class of 2011 will go down in history as one of the best classes ever for the Wings Elite Basketball program with an all time record of 22 Scholarships received, including 3 Razorback Signees. But before we crown it the best class ever, the class of 2013 has suddenly blossomed for the Wings as well as the Arkansas Mustangs. With 6' 2" Sophomore Guard Dedrick Lee already committed to the HOGS, with the emergence of 6' 9" Bobby Portis (Offers from Nebraska, Florida, Baylor), and 5' 10" Dayshawn Watkins as definite High Division 1 prospects this class will be special also. The size can only be compared to the class of 1984, with 6' 9" Tyler Mc Cullough, (Offers from Nebraska, Missouri State and others) 6' 9" Nick Smith, 6' 8" Payton Henson (Offer from Missouri State), 6' 8" Jack Schmidt, 6' 6" Ethan Lee, 6' 5" Darian Harris (Offers From Missouri State, Oral Roberts) 6' 5" Thomas Alexander. this class is loaded with front line players.

The 2013 guards include 6' 3" Manuale Watkins, 5' 10" Brandon Brady, 5' 9" Tim Boyd, 5' 10" Jamar Sturdivant, 6' 2" Jordan Brown for the Wings. Other great players in the class include Jonesboro Point Guard Kahron Ross, Parkviews I. J. Ready and more that I am sure I have left out. Each of the young men mentioned will in my opinion receive a College Scholarship. The 2011-12 High School year in Arkansas will be a great experience. I will do a complete list the next time I am on Drive Time Sports.

Looks like Ready committed to Nebraska this weekend after he did not receive an offer from the Hogs, per Richard Davenport.

mhuff

August 07, 2011, 05:53:57 pm #44 Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:59:55 pm by mhuff
Oklahawg, it is assumed that we will take the APR hit this year 2011-2012. We would have 5 scholarships available.... SO... with the hit we will have four.

For the 2012-2013 year we will have two seniors...Powell and Nobles.... then we will regain our APR scholarship. SO.... we should have three scholarships for sure. However, we could have more if Young or Madden or whoever decides to leave early.

You can't be on an athletic scholarship and an academic scholarship simultaneously.

RazorAg

Quote from: mhuff on August 07, 2011, 05:53:57 pm
Oklahawg, it is assumed that we will take the APR hit this year 2011-2012. We would have 5 scholarships available.... SO... with the hit we will have four.

For the 2012-2013 year we will have two seniors...Powell and Nobles.... then we will regain our APR scholarship. SO.... we should have three scholarships for sure. However, we could have more if Young or Madden or whoever decides to leave early.

You can't be on an athletic scholarship and an academic scholarship simultaneously.

mhuff, not sure I understand your post.  We can take the hit this year as you said, so that APR hit affected the 2011 signing class.  Next year, as others have said, we have 5 scholarships to use, assuming they don't give Kikko one.

mmhogs17

Spider-Pig

The Boar War

Quote from: Spider-Pig on August 07, 2011, 06:10:44 pm
Chicken is a nickname. The other two are real

Guys real name is Danrad.  Must make it just a little easier to be called Chicken.

mhuff

RazorAg, we kinda discussed the scholarship availability not long ago and I was confused then. When the APR hit was anounced the next recruiting year was 2011-2012. From that point we had to take the hit within the next two years which is the 2012 or 2013 class. I sure hope I am wrong and we have 5 for 2012. That would allow room for Ross. I am pulling for him. We have a lot of talent on the board. If I am wrong about all this APR stuff let me know.