Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lol at Finebaums show today

Started by checkraiser88, January 02, 2018, 02:09:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFoo

I was sooo happy when auburn lost to Ucf after losing to Uga in the championship game.  Especially after it became obvious that he and sexton used us to get him locked in at aubbie.  After everything unfolded and we got Morris.  After doing my research on Morris, I believe we got the better of the two.  I was  also very happy that Gus lost because my oldest brother is a big Gus fan.  And it has been the source of many arguments as I was never that big on Gus.  Had he came here I would have hoped he would win. And possibly if he kept winning, I'd become a fan of gus.  But him using us to get a raise just solidified my dislike towards him! So, he can suck it! As I told my bro, his boy will be fired within eyes at aubbie, he should have came to Arkansas and not lied about it.  But, I'm glad he didnt!

Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on January 02, 2018, 05:48:33 pm
I get the market but things are just getting out of hand.  If we were consistently in the playoff maybe I would feel different but in the meantime is anybody $7m good?
Nicky Nick Saban--"The Sabe!"   "Sabes."   He is $7M per year good.  When you look at the money Alabama pays Sabes and then look at all the revenue their program generates because of how good it is and the increase in enrollment at Tuscaloosa, it appears that its some of the best money the university spends.  I have seen an interview with the President of the Univ of Alabama and he said in so many words that whatever money goes to Nicky Nick, in comes back to them several fold.  So I would say he is $7M good.  Heck, I think he makes upwards of $11M per year now but according to the article (see link below), the Bama football program generates $100M per yr in gross revenues and makes a $46M profit.   Thats pretty stout.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-nick-saban-obscene-new-salary-greenstein-20170502-column.html

N HOG

Two things:

Sexton performed his job beautifully.

I really believe Auburn got carried away in making sure they didn't let the Mighty War Eagle program let a coach get away to poor little Arkie.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on January 02, 2018, 06:46:20 pm
Nicky Nick Saban--"The Sabe!"   "Sabes."   He is $7M per year good.  When you look at the money Alabama pays Sabes and then look at all the revenue their program generates because of how good it is and the increase in enrollment at Tuscaloosa, it appears that its some of the best money the university spends.  I have seen an interview with the President of the Univ of Alabama and he said in so many words that whatever money goes to Nicky Nick, in comes back to them several fold.  So I would say he is $7M good.  Heck, I think he makes upwards of $11M per year now but according to the article (see link below), the Bama football program generates $100M per yr in gross revenues and makes a $46M profit.   Thats pretty stout.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-nick-saban-obscene-new-salary-greenstein-20170502-column.html
Thanks for the link.  I don't think I could make an argument against Saban.  He might be the best ever.  But your article was a good example, even Saban was under $7m without the signing bonus.  Its getting to the point that 2-3 seasons at a p5 school and you have generational wealth.  Whatever happens with Gus, like or no, he is set for his life and his children's lives.  Perhaps I'm just jealous.

Boarcephus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 02, 2018, 02:51:37 pm
The only winners here were Malzahn, Jimmy Sexton and probably, Arkansas. Got to hand it to Sexton though, this is the kinda stuff that he gets paid to produce.

I'm not all convinced Gus is a winner in this deal.  He got his $50 million contract but could have gotten close to that here.  Losing to UCF amped the pressure up to unbearable levels and he has to go to Athens and Tuscaloosa this year.  Compare that with the expectations he would encounter here following the failed Bielema experiment.  The pressure he's under this coming will keep his butt up at night and that's no fun.  I'd wager no way is he there in 7 years. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Justagp

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 02:24:27 pm
And no one saw that coming- ha ha ha ha ha.

The week before Gus decided to $tay at Aub, everytime his coming here would come up I would tell my wife how I hoped that did not happen. She would ask why i hated him so much. I said I did not hate him, I just hated how over hyped he was.
Very good post. I do not hate the man - I do not know him. I agree he was very over hyped and he also played us like a fiddle. While I would have supported him if he had come here, I am certainly relieved that he didn't.

Boarcephus

One more thing on the Finebaum show, turned it off after 15 minutes of Roll Tide this and Roll Tide that.  If there is a more obnoxious fan base than that one I haven't seen it.  It's like their personal status is life is dependent on how the football team does. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 02, 2018, 07:17:04 pm
I'm not all convinced Gus is a winner in this deal.  He got his $50 million contract but could have gotten close to that here.  Losing to UCF amped the pressure up to unbearable levels and he has to go to Athens and Tuscaloosa this year.  Compare that with the expectations he would encounter here following the failed Bielema experiment.  The pressure he's under this coming will keep his butt up at night and that's no fun.  I'd wager no way is he there in 7 years.

7 years?  haha, He won't be there this tiem in 3 years

OrvilleRedenporker

FrJoseph

I think Gus has lost his identity of being the "mad scientist" on offense. I watch a good amount of games that I have recorded, and his offense has gone very vanilla. Trap, Jet seeep; trap, Jet seeep, Seam route. His inability to develop a QB at Auburn is particularly concerning if you are a fan of his.

I didn't really have an opinion on him coming to AR, except for him demanding an OC who is a bit sketchy, IMO. I don't know the man, have met him a couple of times through my sister. He always seemed a bit aloof and stand-offish. I think he would have been a solid 8 win guy at AR. IMO, that's not worth the money they were going to invest.

Fr Joe
You made us for yourself oh God, and are hearts are restless until they rest in you.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: 247Hog on January 02, 2018, 06:27:41 pm
It's so crazy to look at everything and realize how much Gus is like HDN. Gus seems to always wanna feel loved, just above average coach, under performs on offense even though it's his background, won't let his offense coordinator run the offense, get in the headlines by having a big win, only to follow up by some poor performance that deflates the fan base. Kinda funny in a way.
Thats what i said from the start, he would be HDN 2.0, so glad AU gets anchored to the bus and we are not!

Boarcephus

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 02, 2018, 08:14:34 pm
7 years?  haha, He won't be there this tiem in 3 years

LOL!!!  I was being generous with the 7.  His life will be miserable until he leaves and I suspect your 3 is much closer than 7. 

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 02, 2018, 05:01:53 pm
What about Cortland Sutton?  He was a 3 star wide receiver that some have projected top 5, but definitely a 1st rounder.  Not too bad coming from SMU.
He was there before Morris.  Maybe Morris developed him, maybe not.  But he's not the one that found the diamond in the rough.  There are no other "up and comers" on the SMU roster.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 03, 2018, 09:40:08 am
He was there before Morris.  Maybe Morris developed him, maybe not.  But he's not the one that found the diamond in the rough.  There are no other "up and comers" on the SMU roster.

The statement said, "he better be able to recruit 5 stars because he has never shown the ability to get more out of a player than what they were projected to be."  Not an exact quote, but close enough.

He sure did get a lot out of this kid. 

Did he develop him?  Sutton's freshman year he had exactly 2 receptions.  The next year Chad Morris became his coach and his numbers exploded.  You can't NOT give Morris some credit.
Retired Radio Host

hogsanity

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 02, 2018, 07:57:24 pm
  It's like their personal status is life is dependent on how the football team does. 

There are many Hog fans that act the same way, for whatever reason.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 02, 2018, 02:45:12 pm
I think we actually got the better coach. Morris might not be a renowned coach. But he has plenty of connections in Texas and wants to prove himself. 

I think Morris has as good of a chance to be successful here as any other candidate we had including Malzahn. We know less about Morris which I kind of like because I am convinced we would know what we are getting with Malzahn and that is a pretty consistent serving of solid mediocrity
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: kingofdequeen on January 02, 2018, 05:08:23 pm
it really was some wonderful administrative wizardry to bid the auburners into a hillbilly auction that we had no intention of winning.   Will put Aubbie back years.

😂😂😂😂

Yeah... riiiiiiiiight.

Hog Red

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 03, 2018, 09:49:14 am
The statement said, "he better be able to recruit 5 stars because he has never shown the ability to get more out of a player than what they were projected to be."  Not an exact quote, but close enough.

He sure did get a lot out of this kid. 

Did he develop him?  Sutton's freshman year he had exactly 2 receptions.  The next year Chad Morris became his coach and his numbers exploded.  You can't NOT give Morris some credit.
Sutton played 2 games as a freshman and was injured taking a medical redshirt.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hog Red on January 03, 2018, 10:18:57 am

The guy was still just trying to move the goal posts on Ched.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Hog Red on January 03, 2018, 10:18:57 am

Thank you.  I didn't know that. Still the point holds that under Morris he performed like a 5 star.

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on January 03, 2018, 10:24:54 am
The guy was still just trying to move the goal posts on Ched.

Exactly right.  Thank you.
Retired Radio Host

racinghog

Sutton is a good one no doubt, but what of the others that were developed? Nutt took some and developed them into great players also. That 8th place recruiting ranking in the AAC is concerning.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 02, 2018, 04:03:53 pm
I was always 50-50 on Gus, I would believe it when I saw it. BUT...after all the reports of the unofficial courtship on our part, I was mostly amused when Auburn gave him the big extension. Quite a turnaround from the AU higher-ups.

The first thing I thought was how they truly deserved each other. Following AU's Iron Bowl win, we can all smile about ending the season with 2 losses. So I imagine—EXCEPT FOR THE BIG CONTRACT (LOL)—everything is back to normal with Gus and AU. Those guys are the college football equivalent to the relationships of Billy Martin and the NY Yankees, and Liz Taylor and Richard Burton.

Genius.

GuvHog

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 02, 2018, 03:29:04 pm
I dunno about tied, those idiots are dumb enough to fire him first year of his contract.

Let's hope not. If they did that, I would be worried.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on January 02, 2018, 05:39:28 pm
Yeah the BOT was willing to mortgage the future of Razorback football to get Gus, who in my opinion is a slightly better than average coach.  They probably still would if given half a chance.

That's what worries me. If Gus was fired at Auburn, The Malzahnites and the Springdale Mafia members on the hill that are part of the PTB would probably make a massive push to get Morris canned and Gus hired. I sure wouldn't put it past them because they wanted Gus desperately.

GuvHog

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on January 02, 2018, 04:34:24 pm
I can’t laugh to hard knowing my first choice for the job is still coaching in Memphis

Yeah the U of A PTB really screwed that one up but I'm willing to be cautiously optimistic and give Morris a chance.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2018, 11:02:27 am
Yeah the U of A PTB really screwed that one up but I'm willing to be cautiously optimistic and give Morris a chance.

Still do not understand the love for Norvell.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

racinghog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 11:03:46 am
Still do not understand the love for Norvell.
Well this was his dream job apparently. He would want to stay and not look for something better.

AHiD

Quote from: racinghog on January 02, 2018, 06:25:06 pm
So UU are you saying we just hired a guy from a bad program? If he is all that seems there would be more Sutton's there.

Trey Quinn is also likely to be drafted in the first 3 rounds of the draft, and SMU's 3rd WR is probably going to be drafted as well. And no he's not saying that, he's saying that he made a 3 star athlete into a 1st round draft pick, thereby debunking the notion he can't develop athletes
My name...is Jerruh

racinghog

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on January 03, 2018, 11:54:54 am
Trey Quinn is also likely to be drafted in the first 3 rounds of the draft, and SMU's 3rd WR is probably going to be drafted as well. And no he's not saying that, he's saying that he made a 3 star athlete into a 1st round draft pick, thereby debunking the notion he can't develop athletes
Great thanks I did not realize that.

hogsanity

Quote from: racinghog on January 03, 2018, 11:42:16 am
Well this was his dream job apparently. He would want to stay and not look for something better.

It's my dream job too, doesn't mean they should give it to me though.

Seriously, with all the openings there were, and how hot his name was in October, he never got a sniff from anyone, at least that we heard about.

GuvHog

January 03, 2018, 12:46:33 pm #80 Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:33:18 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 12:12:53 pm
It's my dream job too, doesn't mean they should give it to me though.

Seriously, with all the openings there were, and how hot his name was in October, he never got a sniff from anyone, at least that we heard about.

That has been explained to you multitudes of times why he got no other offers and you STILL don't get it.

Once again, Arkansas was the job he wanted so he turned Ole Miss down and told both Tennessee and Arizona State not to bother making him an offer. It's no coincidence that Norvell signed his extension at Memphis the day the news was leaked that Morris would become the next head Hog. Norvell only considered two options. he was intent on getting the Arkansas job or he would stay at Memphis if he didn't get it.

racinghog

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on January 03, 2018, 11:54:54 am
I have another question though. All I see are WR that have been developed and no OL, RB or any defensive players. Has he had any in the 2 previous years?

hobhog

Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2018, 12:46:33 pm
That has been explained to you multitudes of times why he got no other offers and you STILL don't get it.

Once again, Arkansas was the job he wanted so he turned Ole Miss down and told both Tennessee and Arizona State not to bother making him an offer. It's no coincidence that Norvell signed his extension at Memphis the day the news was leaked that Morris would become the next head Hog. Norvell only considered two options. he was intent on getting the Arkansas job or he would stay at Memphis if he didn't get it.

The man has baggage. Didn't get past the vetting.

hogsanity

Quote from: hobhog on January 03, 2018, 03:41:56 pm

Nah, it is all because a young coach from TEXAS has for some reason decided the only school he'll ever leave that hotbed of FBS football that is Memphis is a mid level SEC school. I cant believe I managed to type that without passing out from laughing.

GuvHog

Quote from: hobhog on January 03, 2018, 03:41:56 pm

No he doesn't, that's just what some believe.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 03:43:47 pm
Nah, it is all because a young coach from TEXAS has for some reason decided the only school he'll ever leave that hotbed of FBS football that is Memphis is a mid level SEC school. I cant believe I managed to type that without passing out from laughing.

Laugh all you want but it's true. The only reason Norvell didn't get the Arkansas job is because he ISN'T a GUS clone. If they couldn't get Gus then a Gus clone was what the Malzahnites on the hill wanted so no other coach needed to apply.

Redhogs

Finebaun just called Chavis "washed up".....and referred to him as a "has been"...when discussing Aranda going from LSU to TAM.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Redhogs on January 03, 2018, 04:39:45 pm
Finebaun just called Chavis "washed up".....and referred to him as a "has been"...when discussing Aranda going from LSU to TAM.
Good thing Finebaum doesn't know anything.

MuskogeeHogFan

January 03, 2018, 06:49:13 pm #88 Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:21:11 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2018, 04:34:47 pm
Laugh all you want but it's true. The only reason Norvell didn't get the Arkansas job is because he ISN'T a GUS clone. If they couldn't get Gus then a Gus clone was what the Malzahnites on the hill wanted so no other coach needed to apply.

Let's face the truth, you don't know that to be the truth.

I would agree that there was a strong push for Gus and that they (those in the Gus camp representing Arkansas) were unwitting accomplices in the plan to get Gus more stability, money and control at Auburn (though I think that there was a point where he might have come to Arkansas had Auburn not blinked), but I think that there was also a chink in the armor of Norvell that many didn't see (or didn't want to see) or he might have been "the guy" for the job at Arkansas. I think that after all of this went down, Morris was Arkansas' third choice and after it is all said and done, he may have been the best choice...but that story remains to be written.
Go Hogs Go!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 03, 2018, 06:49:13 pm

I would agree that there was a strong push for Gus and that they (those in the Gus camp representing Arkansas) were unwitting accomplices in the plan to get Gus more stability, money and control at Auburn (though I think that there was a point where he might have come to Arkansas had Auburn not blinked), but I think that there was also a chink in the armor of Norvell that many didn't see (or didn't want to see) or he might have been "the guy" for the job at Arkansas. I think that after all of this went down, Morris was Arkansas' third choice and after it is all said and done, he may have been the best choice...but that story remains to be written.

I used to get frustrated with Guv when he would blatantly fabricate stories and portray them to be factual.  Now I just laugh a little, maybe faint and throw a harmless jab, and move on.  One day it dawned on my like a slap to the face that he actually believes what he's typing, despite it being 100% his imagination. 

How do you argue with something like that?   ;D 

Out of all of this, what I giggle about a little...is Gus himself.  He had to KNOW he would be loved and adored at Arkansas, so I'm sure the Auburn faithful took tales of grandeur of their appreciation for him, in addition to the new contract, and convinced him he was their adopted son.  I'm sure they expressed their remorse for not appreciating him more, and that he had proven himself with the UGA and Bama wins. 

Then a month later...he's back on bad street.  LOL   Am I a bad person for thinking that's funny? 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HighcountryHog

That's how I described him.  Nothing he's done lately has contradicted that.  But, I'm willing to give him a chance if he ends up in Fayetteville.  As I continue to tell family and other Hog fans,  show me positive results on the field.
no bumps, no fat chicks

GuvHog

January 03, 2018, 07:57:06 pm #91 Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:08:33 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 03, 2018, 06:49:13 pm

I agree that Morris is a good choice and I believe he'll do very well but Norvell would have been an even better choice. Norvell had at least 2 Universities that wanted to offer him their jobs had he been interested and he turned a 3rd one down, plus Memphis offered him a 3 Million dollar extension which is far more than they paid any football coach in the past. The ONLY job he would have turned that extension down for was Arkansas. That doesn't happen if a coach has issues in his past. That is pretty solid proof that his past isn't why he didn't get the job.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2018, 07:57:06 pm
I agree that Morris is a good choice and I believe he'll do very well but Norvell would have been an even better choice. Norvell had at least 2 Universities that wanted to offer him their jobs had he been interested and he turned a 3rd one down. That doesn't happen if a coach has issues in his past. That is pretty solid proof that his past isn't why he didn't get the job.

We have no idea if Norvell would have been a better choice. At this point, it doesn't matter.
Go Hogs Go!

AHiD

Quote from: racinghog on January 03, 2018, 03:29:16 pm
I have another question though. All I see are WR that have been developed and no OL, RB or any defensive players. Has he had any in the 2 previous years?

When was the last time Arkansas had a 1st round draft pick? I'll hang up and listen.
My name...is Jerruh

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 03, 2018, 08:05:48 pm
We have no idea if Norvell would have been a better choice. At this point, it doesn't matter.

I disagree with your first sentence and agree with your second sentence.

(notOM)Rebel123

Oh well then it's settled...if Paul said, it must be true.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: BassinHawg on January 02, 2018, 04:35:46 pm
I hope Gus killed any chance of getting the Arkansas job in the future by opting to stay at Auburn. He had his chance and gave Arkansas a Big Middle Finger. May the Gus Bus go off a cliff.

I know that we are told to 'never say never', but Gus is NEVER going to coach at Arkansas after the flirtation at the end of this season. 

We got straight up USED.  It was very junior high.  Gus' girlfriend was acting up so he made sure she saw him talking to a new girl so Gus' girl would stop griping.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on January 04, 2018, 09:06:06 am
I know that we are told to 'never say never', but Gus is NEVER going to coach at Arkansas after the flirtation at the end of this season. 

We got straight up USED.  It was very junior high.  Gus' girlfriend was acting up so he made sure she saw him talking to a new girl so Gus' girl would stop griping.

Nope. Auburn got used....played..."Sextoned"...however you want to put it. They are paying him $7 million a year. Not us.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Redhogs

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 04, 2018, 07:03:37 am
Oh well then it's settled...if Paul said, it must be true.
Just his opinion, time will tell if he's right or wrong.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

racinghog

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on January 03, 2018, 11:46:24 pm
When was the last time Arkansas had a 1st round draft pick? I'll hang up and listen.
2008 And in the last 2 years ARK has had 8 draft picks, SMU had none. My point is maybe we need to give the position coach the credit. And lets wait and see if SMU has a first rounder this year.