Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What has been the tenure of SEC Football coaches during the expansion era?

Started by jbcarol, July 07, 2012, 12:14:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

LSU

A former A&M DB and assistant to Bear Bryant, Danny Ford, and Jackie Sherrill, Curley Hallman coached Southern Miss. to road wins over Bama, Auburn, and Florida State.  LSU hired Hallman to replace Mike Archer following the 1990 season. Hallman had the lowest winning percentage in LSU history. His record in SEC games over four seasons was 10-21 (7-17 during the expansion era).

In '91, Gerry DiNardo had inherited a Vandy program with back-to-back 1-10 records and took them to an average of 5-6 over the next four seasons (though no bowl game). LSU had had six consecutive losing seasons when DiNardo became coach.

After leading LSU to two Independence and one Peach Bowl bid in his first three seasons, Dinardo's program began to decline. After an 0-7 SEC start, Mark Emmert fired Dinardo. Interim Hal Hunter was coach when LSU defeated  Arkansas 35-10 to end LSU's decade of the 90s.

DiNardo's SEC record was 18-20-1.

After four seasons of just above .500 ball, Nick Saban coached Michigan State to a Top 10 finish and New Year's Day Bowl bid in 1999. He was hired by LSU for the 2000 season.

Saban's teams finished with 5-3 conference records his first three seasons. In 2003, LSU won the BCS National Championship and Saban was National Coach of the Year. After a 6-2 SEC run in '04, Saban left to coach the Dolphins.

Saban's overall SEC record at LSU was 28-12.

Les Miles had led Oklahoma State to 5th in the Big 12 South and an Alamo Bowl loss when he was hired by LSU to replace Saban starting with the 2005 season.

Miles' teams have won the SEC twice and in 2007 won the BCS NCG despite  multi-OT losses to both Kentucky and Arkansas. LSU became the first SEC school to lose a BCS-NC game when a then 13-0 team lost to Bama in New Orleans. Les was the national coach of the year for 2011.

Coach Miles was nearly let go at the end of the 2015 season and then was let go after the fourth game of the 2016 season and replaced by then Defensive Line Coach Ed Orgeron, first on an interim basis.

Les Miles' SEC conference record is 62-28 or just under .700 after eleven and a third seasons as coach.

Larose native Ed Orgeron led LSU to a 6-2 record (4-2 SEC) including a 10-0 loss to Bama as interim in 2016. After the season, he was named head coach. He had led USC to a 6-2 (6-1 Pac 12) record as an interim in 2013 but was not retained. Orgeron was 3-21 in SEC games as head coach at Ole Miss ending in 2007, but left the cupboard full for his successor.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/847876440943190022

https://twitter.com/ClowESPN/status/847869544471441409

QuoteRicht is tied for second all-time in school history in wins and won two SEC championships in his time with Georgia. But his last SEC title was in 2005. After the Bulldogs went 9-3 in the 2015 season, Richt was let go. He ended up at Miami (Fla.), where he went 9-4 in his first season with the Hurricanes.

Richt is doing well at Miami, especially on the recruiting trail. The Hurricanes currently have the No. 1 recruiting class in the 2018 cycle.

Kirby Smart brought in the No. 3 recruiting class for Georgia in 2017 and went 8-5 in his first season replacing Richt.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/859410429839368192

QuoteGreg Byrne's first significant move as the University of Alabama's new Director of Athletics was to give Nick Saban a contract extension until 2025.

Saban's base salary of $245,000 and talent fee of $6.48 million will remain the same, paying him $6.725 million annually.  However, he'll also get a bonus at the end of each season paying him $400,000 the next two years, $800,000 the subsequent two contract years, $3.6 million in 2012, and $400,000 each remaining year beyond that.

He also receives a $4 million signing bonus.

"Terry and I are pleased and happy to agree to the contract extension," Saban said in a release. "The University of Alabama has offered us, ensuring our time here in Tuscaloosa will continue for many more years.

"This has become our home and we are looking forward to finishing our career at Alabama. I want to thank President Bell, Greg Byrne, our athletic administration, football staff and the entire University community for all of their support, which has been instrumental in the success of our organization. We are extremely proud of the young men who have represented the Crimson Tide on the football field, and more importantly, what they have been able to accomplish in their lives off the field because of their involvement in our program."

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/864140921885138944

Quote1. Nick Saban, Alabama
2. Dan Mullen, Mississippi State
3. Jim McElwain, Florida
4. Gus Malzahn, Auburn
5. Bret Bielema, Arkansas
6. Hugh Freeze, Ole Miss
7. Butch Jones, Tennessee
8. Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M
9. Will Muschamp, South Carolina
10. Mark Stoops, Kentucky
11. Derek Mason, Vanderbilt
12. Kirby Smart, Georgia
13. Ed Orgeron, LSU
14. Barry Odom, Missouri

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AdamSparks/status/864507346541740032

QuoteVanderbilt football coach Derek Mason has signed a three-year contract extension with a raise and increased recruiting budget, athletics director David Williams confirmed...

Per Mason's request, multiple assistant coaches also received contract extensions and raises, including offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig.

After coaching three seasons, Mason's contract was extended back to its original terms of five years with an option of a sixth.

Williams did not provide Mason's specific pay, but he said it was a raise above his previous compensation, which included a base salary of about $2.5 million in 2015, according to the most recently available tax records.

"We went to a bowl game in his third year, but it's not only that. You could see the growth in the program overall," Williams said. "This year will be the first year that we actually have the type of depth that we would like to have, and I think Derek is a master at developing players."

His verified salary will not be available until a future tax record release.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/865307289733005313

QuoteTuberville made an unflattering reference to Lubbock, Texas, home of Texas Tech and one of the more remote locales in major college sports.

"You run me off at Auburn and you ship me to Lubbock, Texas," Tuberville said after playing a round in the Regions Tradition Celebrity Pro Am golf tournament. "I'm going to tell you what, that's like going to Siberia. Somebody asked me, 'What's Lubbock look like?' It looked like Iraq."

Tuberville resigned at Auburn following the 2008 season, then sat out a season before getting the job at Texas Tech. He went 29-22 with the Red Raiders, before leaving to take over at Cincinnati.

Tuberville resigned at Cincinnati following a 4-8 finish in 2016. He toyed with the idea of running for governor of Alabama before ultimately deciding not to enter the race.

Tuberville isn't the first former coach to take shots at Lubbock. Former Alabama basketball coach Wimp Sanderson once said Lubbock was "so far out in the middle of nowhere, they don't get the Sunday paper until Wednesday."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ9r8LMU9bQ

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Former Ole Miss head coach Ken Cooper dead

QuoteHe was named the Ole Miss head coach in 1974, and served in that role for four seasons.

Despite winning SEC Coach of the Year in 1975 after a 5-1 conference record (6-5 overall) [toughest non-conference schedule ever?], Cooper was fired after the 1977 season after recording an overall record of 21-23, including 12-14 in conference.

Cooper had recently served as the head tennis coach at Benedictine Military School in Savannah since 2004. He was named the Boys Tennis Coach of the Year in 2017

https://twitter.com/TheBigGuyWJCL/status/869743103296581632

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/870783360435712000

QuoteAccording to paperwork filed annually with the Alabama Ethics Commission, there's a payment in the $50,000-$150,000 range from the Baltimore Ravens Limited Partnership.

He turned 65 in October, triggering a retirement payout from his former employer -- then known as the Cleveland Browns.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/873166825986686977

QuoteSaban remains a model of consistency, from his football success to the two Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies.

A recent Coachingsearch.com survey found that Saban is alone among SEC head coaches still in place in their current job compared with 10 years ago.

Only 11 current FBS coaches, Saban included, are in the same job as they were at the start of the 2007 season. The rest of the list: Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State; Kirk Ferentz, Iowa; Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern; Mark Dantonio, Michigan State; David Bailiff, Rice; Frank Solich, Ohio; Gary Patterson, TCU; Kyle Whittingham, Utah; Troy Calhoun, Air Force; and Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee State.

Connecticut coach Randy Edsall comes with a bit of an asterisk.

Saban's stability is a marked contrast with the rest of the SEC. Of those SEC 2007 head coaches, seven are currently out of the profession. Urban Meyer (Florida, currently at Ohio  State), Mark Richt (Georgia to Miami) and Ed Orgeron (Ole Miss to LSU)  are still college head coaches. Former Mississippi State coach Sylvester Croom, currently the Tennessee Titans' running backs coach, is the only SEC head coach from that season in the NFL.

Former Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops became the newest of the 53 head coaches in 2007 earlier this week when he retired.

One of the coaches is a head coach in the NFL, with former USC coach Pete Carroll with the Seattle Seahawks.  Another is in Italy, where former Nevada coach Chris Ault recently claimed the Italian Bowl as head coach of the Milano Rhinos.

Former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel now is the president at Youngstown State.

It shows the volatility of the coaching business. But it also more correctly highlights Saban's special talents.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/873586949621248003

QuoteSince 2008, Alabama has only lost 13 times. Among active head coaches, Auburn's Gus Malzahn, Clemson's Dabo Swinney, Texas A&M's Kevin Sumlin and Utah's Kyle Whittingham have defeated a Saban-coached team once, and only Hugh Freeze and Urban Meyer have done it twice (the others were Steve Spurrier, Gene Chizik, Stoops and Les Miles twice).

Combined, they also lost 13 times to him. Factor in 2007, Saban's initial season at Alabama, and Mark Richt joins the list thanks to Georgia's 26-23 victory in overtime. He lost the other three matchups and overall is 2-5 against Saban,

Saban has only lost eight games to conference opponents since 2008, which is more impressive when you factor in most of those years were during what former commissioner Mike Slive called the golden years of the league.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/875456662513098752

QuoteGene Stallings has cabin fever.

Four weeks after suffering what was reported as a minor stroke, the former Alabama coach is itching to get back to it.

"I've been antsy for the past two or three weeks," Stallings said. "I drive my golf cart around the ranch. We're bailing hay as we speak. I need to be on a tractor doing something, and I just can't. It's not normal for me to not do anything."

Stallings' peripheral vision in his right eye is gone, he said. "I can raise my right arm straight up. I just can't see it."

He did, however, say he can turn his head, and that he is in good health.

Stallings said doctors told him to stay away from "anything work-wise" for six weeks.

"I'm creeping up on that time," he said. "They said quote, 'just rest my brain for a while."

"(The stroke) effected the left side of my brain, which effected the right side of the eye."

He plans on honoring speaking engagements he is committed to, including events with Pat Dye.

jbcarol

Florida football coach Jim McElwain and basketball coach Mike White have agreed to lengthy contract extensions

QuoteMcElwain's extension is for six years and $26.9 million, an average of $4.48 million per season. He is now under contract through 2022.

"Both Coach Mac and Coach White have done a phenomenal job of leading our programs and we are looking forward to having them lead the Gators for years to come," Florida athletics director Scott Stricklin said. "As much as both have won games and provided a lot of great memories for our fans and stability for the programs they leads, they have both had a huge impact on the development and personal growth of the athletes they coach."

The 55-year-old McElwain is 19-8 in two seasons at Florida, including SEC East Division championships both years. He was previously making $4.16 million per year.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/876768988897972224

QuoteEvery Auburn coach since Shug Jordan retired in 1975 has been fired or forced out. When those same coaches retire and return, they are beloved.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/877962396429500416

QuoteBret Bielema had the college football world figured out...

After four years and a 25-26 record, including 10-22 in conference play, Bielema is having to reassure Razorbacks fans that he is the right man for the job.

"You learn more by experiencing the failures once you get there," Bielema said, per transcription of the interview via CoachingSearch.com. "I thought I had it all figured out in the Big Ten. Won a lot of games, three straight championships, hadn't done that in 30 years.

"I could have stayed there and done it forever. I wanted to do something that had never been done before. I wanted to put something on my back that we could do. We're going to get there, but the tribulations I've learned were from the failures we experienced. The only way you're going to learn is going through them."

Life in the SEC has been tough for Bielema...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/877955124613664768

QuoteFiring Mark Richt was the biggest decision you've had to make. When you finally made it, how did you think it would be received?

Fifty-fifty. No question. That was it all the time. It was pro and con. It was a consistent 50-50. I knew that whatever decision was made was going to be a 50-50 proposition. I knew that going in, whether I did anything or didn't do anything.

I understand why you didn't take questions about why you fired Richt at the press conference with him sitting next to you. That would have looked awful. But I've always felt the staging put you at a disadvantage. You didn't want him sitting up there by himself, but you sitting there not talking about what just happened made you look awkward. If you had that to do again, would you do that differently?

Unfortunately there are no replays. It was awkward, I have to admit. We have to remember that, at that time, Mark was still going to be part of our program. So it wasn't an adversarial environment. Going in, our thought was that Mark was still going to be part of our team and we appreciate everything he has done for us. Just a phenomenal person. We were all looking at it as something that would be healthy for all of us. Mark comes in and he's so engaging. I mean, I've seen him in that environment in small groups to where he's phenomenal. In the summer before the 2015 season, Katharyn (Richt) and my wife Sheryl and Mark and I flew up to Asheville to have lunch with this donor. I said, "Boy, we've got to do more of this." We were trying to raise money for the indoor building. I told a number of people, "Mark was fantastic." So I'm thinking that, with him in that setting (at the press conference), he was still the Bulldog and he's going to these donor events in the summer and he's focusing on his initiatives and things that are really true to his heart. That's what I was thinking on that day. I was not thinking about him getting back into coaching. I knew that this was a short-term decision because he didn't really know what he wanted to do. I know that there was an offer (to remain on Georgia's staff) and he wanted to sleep on it. I was trying to make that happen. That was the intent going in. When the Miami (coaching) position opened up, it obviously changed everything. Going in on that day, that was the thought process. Sure, it was awkward. If I had to do it over again, I probably would handle it a different way.

Just for the record: What made you decide to fire Richt?

I felt like we all needed to hit the reset button. There's a great book (by Jim Collins) – "Good to Great." What I was trying to do was to create an environment to where we could have a great football program. I felt like we had sort of maxed out. We had reached a certain plateau. Our conversation on that Sunday morning ... I struggled more than he did.

I should tell you that I've heard a counter-narrative: That you didn't actually make the decision on Richt, that it was done for you by boosters ...

I can put that to bed right now. I did not have any influence from anyone. People weigh in all the time. I get calls pro and con, pro and con. But there was not one person here on our campus that directed me to do anything. That was my decision. I made the recommendation to the president. He supported that, and so we moved on.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Tommy T's Team:

Wesley Sinor‏Verified account @WesleySinor 12m12 minutes ago

When Auburn was left out of the 2004 national championship, one small paper made a big statement. http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/06/how_two_alabama_grads_named_au.html ...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/881845901484056576

QuoteDespite being 13 years removed from his full-time job as UGA's athletic director and 29 years removed from being the school's football coach, Dooley has stayed quite busy in retirement with his many other interests.

In addition to the title with which he is most commonly introduced — "the legendary former national championship coach of the Georgia Bulldogs" — he also carries many others. And there are some grandiose ones, such as chairman of the board of curators for the Georgia Historical Society and board member of the Civil War Trust. Those are a couple of the latest additions to a cache that includes author, master gardener, philanthropist and, of course, motivational speaker.

The multitude of those responsibilities keep this octogenarian hopping from place to place and event to event. It's a pace men half his age might have difficulty sustaining.

Renaissance coach

Vince Dooley definitely belongs to a lost breed of coaches. Today, it seems that every major college coach is single-mindedly focused on the game, that everything is "football, football, football" all the time. That appears to be the case with current UGA coach Kirby Smart — whom Dooley likes a lot — and the coach Smart used to work for at Alabama, Nick Saban.

Maybe it's because they're paid exorbitant amounts of money. Smart makes in the neighborhood of $4 million a year as Georgia's coach. Saban will make more than $11 million in 2017.

Dooley's first contract with Georgia paid him just $12,000 a year in salary, a total he stretched to $15,500 when he brokered his own deal for a coaches' show sponsored by the former Citizens & Southern Bank. Dooley keeps a framed copy of the one-page document on the wall of this home office.

Dooley, though well-paid among his peers, never came close to making $1 million. He retired as coach after the 1988 season at the relatively young age of 56.

"Barbara gets onto me almost every day about that," he joked. "She says, 'Why did you have to quit just when they were starting to pay coaches good money?' But it wasn't about the money for me."

Certainly he is most famous for the most glorious period in the history of UGA football. That is that span from 1980 to 1983, when the Bulldogs went 43-4-1, won a national championship and three SEC titles. Obviously a certain running back from Wrightsville named Herschel Walker had a lot to do with that success.

Dooley retired from coaching at the end of the 1988 season as Georgia's all-time winningest coach at 201-77-10

jbcarol

Most SEC conference wins '92 - present

Steve Spurrier     113  UF '90-01, SC '05-15
Phil Fulmer           96  UT '92-08
Nick Saban           94  LSU '00-04, Bama '07-
Mark Richt            83  UG '01-15
Tommy Tuberville  62  OM '95-98, AU '99-08
Les Miles              62  LSU '05-16
Houston Nutt        52  Ark '98-07, OM '08-11]
Jackie Sherrill       39  MS '91-03
Urban Meyer         36  UF '05-10
Terry Bowden       30  AU '93-98
Dan Mullen           29  MS '09-
Gene Stallings      27  Bama '90-96
David Cutcliffe      25  OM '99-04
Jim Donnan          25  UG '96-00

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/KevinScarbinsky/status/884427485638799360

QuoteRemember when the SEC was a superconference? When it featured multiple coaches with national titles on their resumes and multiple programs with a legit shot to win the league?

SEC football still can flex its muscles in terms of revenues and expenses, attendance and interest -

- but in terms of competition?  What competition? There is no competition.

It's not just that Alabama has won the last three SEC titles and four of the last five, with the Kick Six the only thing standing between Nick Saban and five in a row. The Crimson Tide has run roughshod over its alleged competitors.

Alabama has won 17 straight games against conference opponents and 24 of the last 25. The average margin in those 24 victories: 20.1 points.

There are 13 other SEC football programs, and only Ole Miss has managed to beat Alabama in the last three years. The Rebels did it twice. That run ended last season and given the still-unresolved NCAA infractions case against the school, likely won't resume anytime soon.

In the last six years, starting in 2011, Alabama has lost exactly five games against SEC opponents, no more than one in a single season. Every one of those losses came by a touchdown or less.

In that same time span, Alabama has won 48 games against SEC opponents. The average margin of victory: 23.9 points.

As all-time elite as Saban has become, the rest of the SEC is comprised of the most inexperienced and unaccomplished group of head coaches in memory.

It's as if the league where #ItJustMeansMore has become a haven for on-the-job training.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/884781856146825216

QuoteScarblog: Fifteen SEC head coaches have gone 0-8 in the conference since the league's modern era began with the divisional split in 1992.

Bret Bielema and Ed Orgeron are two of them.

Also on that list: Derek Mason, who'll be here Tuesday, and Mark Stoops, who stops by Wednesday.

It just means more...

0-8 club includes Vanderbilt's Rod Dowhower, Woody Widenhofer and Bobby Johnson, Kentucky's Hal Mumme and Joker Phillips as well as South Carolina's Brad Scott, but other coaches with real accomplishments have managed to run the SEC table backwards in the last 25 years.

Before Lou Holtz and Gene Chizik got blanked, they won national championships. Before Jackie Sherrill and Bill Curry did it, they won conference championships. Before Houston Nutt did it, he reached the SEC Championship Game twice.

Only Chizik at Auburn managed such a spectacular rollercoaster ride at the same school.

Of the 15 SEC head coaches who've endured an 0-8 conference season since 1992, the best league record any of them managed later was 5-3.

Holtz got there twice at South Carolina. Bielema has reached that number once at Arkansas. And that's it.

Coach O already has beaten the odds in a unique way.

He's the only SEC coach to go 0-8 in the conference, get fired and get hired later by another school in the league. No wonder, in addressing a question Monday about returning to SEC Media Days for the first time in a decade, his first words were, "I thank God."

jbcarol

Neal McCready‏ @NealMcCready 17h17 hours ago

Some of Nutt's suit is interesting some laughable. Know this: The reason he isn't employed today is his '10 and '11 OM teams were garbage.

jbcarol

Chandler Rome‏ @Chandler_Rome 8h8 hours ago

Hugh Freeze on his legacy: "A large portion of the Ole Miss people know me for who I am. But it's been negative in some people's eyes."

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Ranking Coach Saban's winning streaks against SEC rivals

Bama has won at least three straight games against 11 of the 13 other SEC schools

QuoteVanderbilt: 21 straight losses to Alabama
Bama's longest run comes up for renewal this September. Vandy is finally on the schedule Sept. 23 in Nashville. The last loss came in 1984 as part of a disastrous start to Ray Perkins' Error.

Tennessee: 10
This one is a particular source of pride for those who consider Vols to be Bama's biggest rival. Nick Saban has yet to lose to Tennessee as its changed coaches three times since Phil Fulmer beat Mike Shula in 2006. This run eclipses the seven-game skid to the Vols from 1995-2001. The two will meet for the 100th time this season.

Arkansas

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/SECCountryVols/status/887665360798875650

QuoteVols' coach Butch Jones has a unique streak of 10 years as an FBS coach, winning as many or more games from one regular season to the next. Tennessee has won eight regular-season games each of the past two seasons.

Bovada Las Vegas, however, has set the over/under on Tennessee's win total at 7.5.

WNML's Josh Ward discusses Tennessee's Bovada projection as it relates to other SEC teams and also visits with former Tennessee basketball player Jarnell Stokes...

jbcarol

jbcarol

TUPELO – Northeast Mississippi high school football coaches with Ole Miss ties are 100 percent behind interim head coach Matt Luke as Hugh Freeze's replacement

QuoteTupelo quarterbacks coach John Keith was Luke's roommate for two seasons when they played offensive line together for the Rebels. Luke, a center who played through numerous injuries during his career, lettered from 1995-98 and was team captain in '98.

"He's been a very good coach at numerous places," Keith said. "I think he's primed and ready to become a head coach. Although the timing is really bad, he will do a great job."

Luke is in his 10th season on the Ole Miss staff. The last five seasons he was offensive line coach and co-offensive coordinator. He also coached at Tennessee and at Duke under former Ole Miss head coach David Cutcliffe.

Luke is from an Ole Miss family. His father, Tommy, was a defensive back in the 60s for legendary coach John Vaught. Luke's older brother, Tom, played quarterback for the Rebels from 1989-91.

"As a person, he's a great human being," Keith said of his former teammate. "He comes from a great family. They are Ole Miss through and through."

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports 4s4 seconds ago

Who followed the worst hire at each of the SEC's 14 football programs? http://trib.al/5aV8Jjy

QuoteRon Higgins ranked them. This means Derek Dooley was the best "worst" coach in SEC history to-date and his Dad also makes the list in another capacity.

14. Tennnessee

Worst coach: Derek Dooley (.417 winning percentage)

Yes, he had to put out the dumpster fire that Lane Kiffin in Knoxville, but he went just 15-21 from 2010-13.

Replacement: Butch Jones took over in in 2014 and had gone 30-21

13. Georgia

Worst coach: Johnny Griffith (.400 winning percentage)

A player on the Bulldogs' 1946 national title team, he was elevated from assistant to head coach to replace the legendary Wally Butts in 1961. He compiled 10-16-4 record from 1961-63.

Replacement: Vince Dooley

Georgia hired Dooley, a Mobile native Auburn's freshman coach, and he became the school's most successful and beloved coach. Dooley spent 25 seasons as head coach and went 201-77-10 while winning six SEC titles and the 1980 national title.

12. South Carolina

Worst coach: Marvin Bass (.380 winning percentage)

Bass went 17-29-4 in five seasons and never finished higher than fourth in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Bass later served as an assistant for the Birmingham Americans of the World Football League and the head coach of the Birmingham Vulcans (in center of photo above).

Replacement: Paul Dietzel

South Carolina lured Dietzel away from Army, and he compiled a 42-54-1 record in nine seasons from But he led South Carolina to the 1967 Atlantic Coast Conference championship –

11. LSU

Worst coach: Curley Hallman (.364 winning percentage)

Tuscaloosa native went to Baton Rouge after going 23-13 in three seasons at Southern Miss, where he coached future NFL Hall of Famer Brett Favre. At LSU, he went 16-28 in four seasons and endured one of the infamous losses in college football history when Auburn rallied for a 30-26 victory in 1994 with the help of three pick-6 interceptions.

Replacement: LSU lured Gerry DiNardo away from Vandy, where he lost 65-0 in his final game. He successfully recruited legendary RB Kevin Faulk and earned a victory over Florida in 1997. But, he went 2-13 in his final two seasons and got fired. DiNardo finished with a 32-24-1 record from 1994-99. His firing brought Nick Saban...

10. Florida

Worst coach: Raymond Wolf (.359 winning percentage)

A successful coach at North Carolina, Wolf returned from his World War II service and became the head coach at Florida but struggled to go 13-24-2 from 1946-49 and only two two SEC games.

Replacement: Florida turned to Bob Woodruff, who got a salary higher than the school president, and compiled a 53-42-6 record. He also led Florida to its first two bowl games.

9. Arkansas

Worst coach: Otis Douglas (.300 winning percentage)

Douglas won just a third of his games, going 9-21 from 1950-52. None of his three teams finished higher than sixth in the Southwest Conference.

Replacement: Former Tennessee player Bowden Wyatt arrived and went 11-10 in two seasons. In 1954, he went 8-3 and earned an invitation to the Cotton Bowl and quickly jumped to Tennessee.

8. Ole Miss

Worst coach: Ed Orgeron (.286 winning percentage)

A successful assistant and ace recruiter, Orgeron compiled a 10-25 record but recruited well and left a stocked roster for his replacement.

Replacement: Houston Nutt

Nutt lasted just four seasons and finished 24-26 and won just one SEC game in his final two seasons, but he did take Ole Miss to back-to-back Cotton Bowl berths. [First in Fifty Years. FIFTY!]

7. Missouri

Worst coach: Woody Widenhofer (.284 winning percentage)

Widenhofer never had a winning season and finished 12-31-1 from 1985-88 after one season as the head coach of the USFL's Oklahoma Outlaws. He later resurfaced as the defensive coordinator and then head coach at Vandy in 1990s.

Replacement: Missouri hired Bob Stull away from UTEP, but he never had a winning record and finished with a 15-38-2 record.

6. Mississippi State

Worst coach: Charles Shira (.270 winning percentage)

From 1967-72, Shira compiled a 16-45-2 record, although he was named the SEC Coach of the Year for going 6-5 and beating Ole Miss in 1970. He won just five SEC games in five seasons.

Replacement: Bob Tyler

Tyler was elevated from offensive coordinator to head coach when Shira resigned to concentrated on his athletic director duties. Tyler got the Bulldogs hit with NCAA probation for lineman Larry Gillard receiving impermissible benefits. He did got 39-25-5 on the field, but it was reduced to 21-44-2 because of forfeits [back when vacate was a term for getting away from it all.]

5. Kentucky

Worst coach: John Ray (.233 winning percentage)

Ray served as defensive coordinator at Notre Dame and designed a defense that allowed just 3.8 points per game in winning the 1966 national title. But at Kentucky, found little success and compiled a 10-33 record from 1969-72.

Replacement: Fran Curci (right in photo above) last nine seasons and went 47-52-3, but he program was hit with NCAA probation for recruiting violations under his watch. The probation kept Kentucky out of a bowl and off TV when the Wildcats went 10-1 in 1977.

4. Texas A&M

Worst coach: Hank Foldberg (.217 winning percentage)

Fresh off two straight Missouri Valley Conference titles at Wichita State, he took over a program that had not had a winning season since Paul "Bear" Bryant left in 1957. He went 6-23-1 from 1962-64 and didn't coach again.

Replacement: Texas A&M turned to Gene Stallings (shown in 1967 at link), who played for the Aggies when Bryant was head coach. He went 27-45-1 and had only one winning season.

3. Vanderbilt

Worst coach: Rod Dowhower (.182 winning percentage)

Dowhower lasted just two seasons, going 4-18, from 1995-96. He left and spent several years as an assistant coach in the NFL before his coaching career ended.

Replacement: Woody Widenhofer (only person to appear on this list twice)

After spending one season as Vandy's defensive coordinator, Widenhofer was elevated to head coach. He went 15-40 and won just four SEC games in five seasons.

2. Auburn

Worst coach: Earl Brown (.172 winning percentage)

Brown compiled a 3-22-4 record in three seasons from 1948-50.

Replacement: Ralph "Shug" Jordan

Auburn lured Jordan away from Georgia, where he was an assistant, and he led the Tigers to the 1957 national title. He spent 25 years as head coach and compiled a record of 173-83-6 and coached Pat Sullivan to the Heisman Trophy in 1971.

1. Alabama

Worst coach: J.B. "Ears" Whitworth (.167 winning percentage)

Whitworth won just four games in three seasons – finishing 4-24-2 from 1955-57. Alabama endured a 14-game losing streak during his tenure. In retrospect, perhaps his worst decision was benching future NFL Hall of Fame QB Bart Starr [who was beaten and never for same for marrying an Auburn girl for general stupidity of the time].

Replacement: Paul "Bear" Bryant

Legend has it the "Mama called" when Bryant's alma mater wanted him to return to Tuscaloosa. Considered the greatest college coach of all time, Bryant won six national titles, 13 of his 14 SEC championships and finished 232-46-9 overall record. In 25 seasons, he lost only 28 conference games.

Was thinking they would go with Shula -> Saban but "Ears" had some bad years.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account @BruceFeldmanCFB 21h21 hours ago

I wouldn't be surprised if #OleMiss interim HC Matt Luke tries to bring on his old O-line coach John Latina to Rebels staff for this season.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/889574851983417345

QuoteBjork said Luke will earn $500,000 this season in addition to the $660,000 Luke was making as the program's co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach.