Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson is a great man, good coach, poor recruiter...

Started by Omahabound, July 29, 2015, 06:04:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Omahabound on July 30, 2015, 07:01:08 pm
Great post. So now instead of not winning the west we will never win anything. Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, you get my point. West , East , one division...they aren't winning it.

If you break the SEC BB teams into divisions along FB lines, we won the "West" by 2 games just this last season.

Mike's teams will never be able to do that thing they just did I guess?

Omahabound

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on July 30, 2015, 11:02:06 pm
If you break the SEC BB teams into divisions along FB lines, we won the "West" by 2 games just this last season.

Mike's teams will never be able to do that thing they just did I guess?
Good grief???
Ok...Is anyone on the staff wearing a ring for ANY championship?
SEC? SEC Tourney? NIT? ANYTHING? No.  Okay. That's all that matters!

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Omahabound on July 31, 2015, 12:05:22 am
Good grief???
Ok...Is anyone on the staff wearing a ring for ANY championship?
SEC? SEC Tourney? NIT? ANYTHING? No.  Okay. That's all that matters!

No, no one is out celebrating it and I'm not saying they should, but technically it kinda did happen whereas you said it couldn't be done by a squad helmed by Mike and co.

There are 12 teams in our league who would have rather had our season than theirs.  Only 31 other teams out of 300+ had a better post season than us and only one of those was in the SEC.  Is it the top of the mountain?  No.  Is it success?  Personally I think you really have to be searching high and low for reasons as to why it wouldn't be called that. 

We quietly did a lot of things we haven't done in a long time as a program last year, and it wasn't dumb luck, and it wasn't just two players the whole season either.  Step one is to be in it to win it.  College basketball is littered with coaches who have had to chip away for awhile in order to make their mark. 

Blutoblutarsky

Good thread Omaha. There's not one assistant on staff that could walk into my living room and get me excited as a recruit. Matt Zimmerman? Lol. Nice guy and does radio reports during the season, real swell guy....what does he bring to the program? We'll never know.

Omahabound

Quote from: Blutoblutarsky on July 31, 2015, 06:39:38 am
Good thread Omaha. There's not one assistant on staff that could walk into my living room and get me excited as a recruit. Matt Zimmerman? Lol. Nice guy and does radio reports during the season, real swell guy....what does he bring to the program? We'll never know.
Quote from: wheelspigharvey on July 31, 2015, 06:02:20 am
No, no one is out celebrating it and I'm not saying they should, but technically it kinda did happen whereas you said it couldn't be done by a squad helmed by Mike and co.

There are 12 teams in our league who would have rather had our season than theirs.  Only 31 other teams out of 300+ had a better post season than us and only one of those was in the SEC.  Is it the top of the mountain?  No.  Is it success?  Personally I think you really have to be searching high and low for reasons as to why it wouldn't be called that. 

We quietly did a lot of things we haven't done in a long time as a program last year, and it wasn't dumb luck, and it wasn't just two players the whole season either.  Step one is to be in it to win it.  College basketball is littered with coaches who have had to chip away for awhile in order to make their mark. 

We did do some good thing last year. I'm not denying that. I loved last season. It was a very exciting season. However we did continually get beat on the press and never make adjustments and our perimeter D was terrible all year. I've said this whole thread that if you are good with an average of 20 wins per season then Mikes your guy( not counting next year, gonna be bad ) but I still personally believe his system is outdated and there are way too many athletes on the floor to wear teams down. EVERYBODY can run up and down the floor. Sorry I took your post wrong. Mike will have to change the way he recruits or make some changes on staff. You have to get in the AAU circuit, whether you want to or not. That was the ultimate demise( as far as recruiting) for Nolan. Well, you know the old saying " the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree "
MA is the same way. Can he change, of course, but I still think he's a very average x&o guy who plays with an outdated system

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Omahabound on July 31, 2015, 08:35:42 am
We did do some good thing last year. I'm not denying that. I loved last season. It was a very exciting season. However we did continually get beat on the press and never make adjustments and our perimeter D was terrible all year. I've said this whole thread that if you are good with an average of 20 wins per season then Mikes your guy( not counting next year, gonna be bad ) but I still personally believe his system is outdated and there are way too many athletes on the floor to wear teams down. EVERYBODY can run up and down the floor. Sorry I took your post wrong. Mike will have to change the way he recruits or make some changes on staff. You have to get in the AAU circuit, whether you want to or not. That was the ultimate demise( as far as recruiting) for Nolan. Well, you know the old saying " the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree "
MA is the same way. Can he change, of course, but I still think he's a very average x&o guy who plays with an outdated system

I'm just really hoping that our D will be much improved to make up for our lack of explosive physical offensive guys.  Our offense it's supposed to feed of the D so maybe that will happen.

I hope all that odd school mentality business ends up paying off ultimately.  I think it did last year.  Bobby was about relationships and so was Jimmy, fingers crossed that Malik will be too. I just hope our peaks become more frequent and our valleys don't dip below say what we had the year before last. 

Think about this, these juniors and sophs we have this year should EXPECT a post season appearance because they've had one every year they've been on campus.  To them we are a team that plays in March.  When was the last time that was the culture?

hogsanity

No, it did not happen technically, or any other way, because that is not how the sec does its basketball schedule.

Why can't people just take last season for what it was? It was a good season, they won several road games, and won some sect games, which had been a real sticking point for a long time, and won a ncaat game.

The concern is, even before the events of last week, was that the heart of that team, and most of the offense, is gone. The 15 recruiting class was, to be polite, less than stellar. Most of the production is being expected from new comers, and guys who have not shown the offensive ability to come anywhere near replacing what is gone from last years team.

Who is going to replace Portis' production? What about Qualls'? Who has the experience to do the little things that Sr's like Madden and Harris were able to do just because of their experience?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Omahabound

Quote from: hogsanity on July 31, 2015, 09:47:17 am

The concern is, even before the events of last week, was that the heart of that team, and most of the offense, is gone. The 15 recruiting class was, to be polite, less than stellar. Most of the production is being expected from new comers, and guys who have not shown the offensive ability to come anywhere near replacing what is gone from last years team.

Who is going to replace Portis' production? What about Qualls'? Who has the experience to do the little things that Sr's like Madden and Harris were able to do just because of their experience?

Great point.
You lose Ky, Alandis, Babb transfers...Have to expect you are losing Portis and Qualls, and you sign 2. One of the two signees that MA knows probably won't make it. Then you basically let KA walk away with out much of a fight. Then you have something like this happen and your down 8 players with 1 freshman coming in. MA makes 3 million per year, you have to be prepared and he CLEARLY wasn't.
Also to your point on the 15 class being less than stellar, the 16 class is Putrid at this point( it's not a knock against the players committed, I'm sure they are great kids, but we aren't on the right track in 16 either.

hamARchy in the USA

There are 12 teams in our league who would have rather had our season than theirs .  Only 31 other teams out of 300+ had a better post season than us and only one of those was in the SEC.  Is it the top of the mountain?  No.  Is it success?  Personally I think you really have to be searching high and low for reasons as to why it wouldn't be called that. 

Well, they undoubtedly would have rather played the Hog's conference schedule.

hogsanity

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on July 31, 2015, 10:19:36 am
Well, they undoubtedly would have rather played the Hog's conference schedule.

NO, you can't play that way. The Hogs won the games they should have, which had not been the case in previous seasons. They went on the road and won several SEC games, again a big improvement over previous seasons. I am as critical of MA as they come, but you can't discount the 27 wins as if it was some sort of scheduling gift. They had had " easy " schedules before, and still not done much with it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: hogsanity on July 31, 2015, 10:22:21 am
NO, you can't play that way. The Hogs won the games they should have, which had not been the case in previous seasons. They went on the road and won several SEC games, again a big improvement over previous seasons. I am as critical of MA as they come, but you can't discount the 27 wins as if it was some sort of scheduling gift. They had had " easy " schedules before, and still not done much with it.

How many other teams in the conference could have claimed a second place finish if they'd have played the same schedule ? 

Of course, it's not Arkansas' fault that they were given easy street.  That's a problem that's come with the creation of megaconferences which have too many teams for each to play the others the same number of times.  The schedules have become uneven.

Still, it's a hollow claim to say the program was improved this year when the context of the soft schedule is considered.  Not only did they play more of the weakest teams but the softer schedule than that of the other teams would have at least contributed to what you cite as improvement.

ArkansasI

Quote from: hogsanity on July 31, 2015, 10:22:21 am
Some of what you argue is true.  I agree that we won games we should have that, in the past, we had problems winning.

Still, our schedule is woefully soft right now.  And Mike has made it softer since he's been back.  We had arguably 4 quality non-conference games last year and gained a split - beating Wake Forrest (down) and SMU, and losing to Clemson and Iowa State.  We did not beat a ranked team.

I'm pleased that so many fans will defend Mike for year 5.  He's going to need it.  By this time in the prior two regimes, we had expected Stan and John to have at least shown some momentum in the program.  Last year's team showed signs of life, but all the parts that gave us hope are gone.

It's a complete re-do this year.  Jimmy is an excellent start, and Ted will be a great addition if his records from the Congo pacify the NCAA.  Still, Razorback fans that insist the staff should be free of criticism for the status of the roster have lost objectivity.  This staff has not earned that type of exemption.

Mick Hogger

It is not hollow to say we finally seemed to learn how to win on the road and to win close games. That happened. You can spin it into infinity but it happened and that was the key to our season.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Omahabound

Quote from: Mick Hogger on July 31, 2015, 11:51:19 am
It is not hollow to say we finally seemed to learn how to win on the road and to win close games. That happened. You can spin it into infinity but it happened and that was the key to our season.
We won on the road because we were mentally tougher. Especially Portis and Qualls, and Beard( who was so mentally tough) a " program " all of the sudden just don't learn how to win on the road. That hasn't happened until this year since 2000. The reason, players! THEY ARE ALL GONE!
Also, not to stir the pot more, but Stan Heath and Pelphrey were crucified for not winning !
Stan was fired after back to back NCAAT appearances. After this year, MA ( more than likely ) will have gone once in 5 years in a TERRIBLE conference and with a horrible non conference schedule. I'm just not sure why MA is so free from criticism that has been given to the other coaches in the past.
Please don't tell me he took over a " down program ". He took over a program that had a top 5 recruiting class that he was walking in to. Also had some nice role players left over.
In BB in year 5 this should really not even be a debate. If your program is headed in the opposite direction in year 5 than it was in years 1-4 then something is wrong.

Mick Hogger

Guess there's no reason to even play this season since you've got it all figured out.
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

hogsanity

Quote from: Mick Hogger on July 31, 2015, 11:51:19 am

And it is also not hollow to say that most of the reasons they won those games are gone. Portis and Qualls carried last years team. Many many times the rest of the teams seemed to just stand around and wait for those tow to do something.  To act as if this season is going to be even close to last year is more than a bit pollyannish.

Omahabound

Quote from: Mick Hogger on July 31, 2015, 12:46:19 pm
Guess there's no reason to even play this season since you've got it all figured out.
Yea, that's what I said from the beginning...I said " let's not play this season because I have it all figured out "
What I did say was if you are good with averaging 20 wins per year then MA is your guy. That's what I said!

Mick Hogger

If you don't think he took over a down program, I don't know what to tell you. We were a dumpster fire and no one was coming to the games. No one had any faith that Pel could do anything with that class regardless of their rank because everytime we looked like we took a step forward, we took 2 - 3 steps back. They were out of control. Do you even remember what Powell told Pel when he was taken out of the game? And do you remember what Pel did? NOTHING!

The fact Pel and Heath haven't accomplished anything since they left is very telling. Where is Pel now? Stan's doing commentary.

No one knows who will step up this year. That's what players do when it's their turn. I would love to have Bobby and Michael back but it's not happening. But we did put 2 players in the NBA and when was the last time that happened with this program?

hogsanity

Quote from: Mick Hogger on July 31, 2015, 02:13:50 pm
If you don't think he took over a down program, I don't know what to tell you. We were a dumpster fire and no one was coming to the games. No one had any faith that Pel could do anything with that class regardless of their rank because everytime we looked like we took a step forward, we took 2 - 3 steps back. They were out of control. Do you even remember what Powell told Pel when he was taken out of the game? And do you remember what Pel did? NOTHING!

The fact Pel and Heath haven't accomplished anything since they left is very telling. Where is Pel now? Stan's doing commentary.

No one knows who will step up this year. That's what players do when it's their turn. I would love to have Bobby and Michael back but it's not happening. But we did put 2 players in the NBA and when was the last time that happened with this program?

Actually Heath just got hired as an assistant at BC.

The problem is that he has whiffed so much in recruiting, the pool of players to step up is very small. There is no reason that a big 5 school, with no recruiting limitations for apr or other sanctions, should be looking at the very real possibility of only having 9 scholarship players come October.

klp1

Quote from: Omahabound on July 31, 2015, 09:59:42 am
Great point.
You lose Ky, Alandis, Babb transfers...Have to expect you are losing Portis and Qualls, and you sign 2. One of the two signees that MA knows probably won't make it. Then you basically let KA walk away with out much of a fight. Then you have something like this happen and your down 8 players with 1 freshman coming in. MA makes 3 million per year, you have to be prepared and he CLEARLY wasn't.
Also to your point on the 15 class being less than stellar, the 16 class is Putrid at this point( it's not a knock against the players committed, I'm sure they are great kids, but we aren't on the right track in 16 either. [/b]

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

The "Putrid" 2016 Class so far is ranked 9th in the Country and 2nd in the SEC at the moment

Omahabound

Omahabound

Omahabound

Quote from: Mick Hogger on July 31, 2015, 02:13:50 pm

Did you notice the stands this year? We aren't exactly sitting the world on fire with attendance. The games or lower bowl has been sold out for a long time but people still don't go. Yes!!! I agree with you, MA cleaned the program up, no doubt, it was a train wreck, however there was talent.
Ky Madden
Marshawn Powell
BJ Young
Hunter Mick
Mardracus Wade

We had some players. Mike has done a VERY good job with dicipline, APR, etc...where Pel was terrible. However Pel could out recruit Mike anyday. He just could coach a lick!

Also just for full disclosure Stan Heath has gone as far as MA in the NCAAT since he's been gone. So they've basically both accomplished the same thing

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Omahabound on July 31, 2015, 03:00:32 pm
Did you notice the stands this year? We aren't exactly sitting the world on fire with attendance. The games or lower bowl has been sold out for a long time but people still don't go. Yes!!! I agree with you, MA cleaned the program up, no doubt, it was a train wreck, however there was talent.
Ky Madden
Marshawn Powell
BJ Young
Hunter Mick
Mardracus Wade

We had some players. Mike has done a VERY good job with dicipline, APR, etc...where Pel was terrible. However Pel could out recruit Mike anyday. He just could coach a lick!

Also just for full disclosure Stan Heath has gone as far as MA in the NCAAT since he's been gone. So they've basically both accomplished the same thing

Pelphrey? Recruit?? Really??

Omahabound

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 31, 2015, 03:53:52 pm
Pelphrey? Recruit?? Really??

Ummm yes...go back and look at his recruiting years here. Oh, and he did get K Allen as well. Donovan don't recruit by himself. Pel has brought many players to FL!
He's a horrible coach. Very good recruiter.
And this isn't about Pelphrey. It's about MAs lack of recruiting.