Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another example of why we need to pay college athletes

Started by Piggie Smalls, July 23, 2015, 05:26:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggie Smalls

To me the Hogs basketball players being arrested all comes down to one thing: money. Obviously if they were being taken care of by the university like they should be they wouldn't have had to resort to that to put a little extra money in their pockets. When athletes commit assualt or hit a woman or get popped for drugs or something like that, that's just them being a knucklehead. But when it comes to something involving money, like robbery or something of this nature, that's different. A lot of these guys aren't well off before they go to college, and when it comes to them needing money it just should not come to this. The colleges get rich off the backs of these guys, and while it has gotten better, it's still not where it needs to be. And I'm not just talking about these particular guys. I really believe Portis and Qualls (those are just the latest examples) could've been persuaded to come back if the money was there and improve their draft stock. Same goes for Darius Philon. A little money now (but not as much as they could've made later by staying) is better than no money at all.  As long as this issue is not adequately addressed you're going to continue to see cases like this.

ricepig

A.C. is working at the Catfish Hole, where were these guys working? I've known guys that washed cars at Superior??, and had other jobs, that's where the money comes from.

RzRbAcK18

Absolutely not. I didn't get handed money when I was in college. I made pizzas to get buy. I understand they have less time due to practice and what not but they also get many other special privelages. Blaming crime on not being paid is absurd.

LRRandy

Not everyone that struggles financially commits a crime. They made a choice. They are criminals.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hoggish1

Quote from: RzRbAcK18 on July 23, 2015, 05:35:54 pm
Absolutely not. I didn't get handed money when I was in college. I made pizzas to get buy. I understand they have less time due to practice and what not but they also get many other special privelages. Blaming crime on not being paid is absurd.

Hook 'em Hogs

Paying players is not the answer to poor moral choices.  In fact, I would say that sometimes paying players IS a bad moral choice.  Bielema mentioned this somewhere around media days-giving a kid that's never had money $2,000 is a bad decision.  I don't know if these guys did what everyone's saying they did, but being broke isn't an excuse.  If these guys did this with full knowledge, and knew how much was at stake, this is a reason to not pay college athletes. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: ricepig on July 23, 2015, 05:30:23 pm
A.C. is working at the Catfish Hole, where were these guys working? I've known guys that washed cars at Superior??, and had other jobs, that's where the money comes from.

The last time I was in the Catfish Hole, earlier this summer, several of our football players were working.

When I hear that those three basketball players were gainfully employed, I might feel differently. Well, no I wouldn't; not having is no excuse for stealing from someone who has.

BadHog

No excuse for committing a crime! Bad choices have bad consequences. This may just have been a life altering choice for these three. Hope not but it sure looks that way.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Piggie Smalls on July 23, 2015, 05:26:47 pm
To me the Hogs basketball players being arrested all comes down to one thing: money. Obviously if they were being taken care of by the university like they should be they wouldn't have had to resort to that to put a little extra money in their pockets. When athletes commit assualt or hit a woman or get popped for drugs or something like that, that's just them being a knucklehead. But when it comes to something involving money, like robbery or something of this nature, that's different. A lot of these guys aren't well off before they go to college, and when it comes to them needing money it just should not come to this. The colleges get rich off the backs of these guys, and while it has gotten better, it's still not where it needs to be. And I'm not just talking about these particular guys. I really believe Portis and Qualls (those are just the latest examples) could've been persuaded to come back if the money was there and improve their draft stock. Same goes for Darius Philon. A little money now (but not as much as they could've made later by staying) is better than no money at all.  As long as this issue is not adequately addressed you're going to continue to see cases like this.

No excuses for bad behavior.   Time they learn that their decisions have consequences.  Both good and bad.

Athog

That is no reason to pay college athletes is to keep them from committing crime !! Are you kidding me?? Great logic. Maybe we should do the same for the prison population.

Steef

Paying college athletes would kill college athletics.

jackflash

I would not use this act as reason to pay college athletes.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: LRRandy on July 23, 2015, 05:37:37 pm
Not everyone that struggles financially commits a crime. They made a choice. They are criminals.
OK, Judge Mathis. I didn't know you hit the gavel yet but I'm informed now.

WorfHog

Quote from: steefhog on July 23, 2015, 06:43:34 pm

I got bad news for you steef...

BigSexyHog

I am not gonna say the are innocent or guilty but paying the athletes won't stop them from doing stupid things at times.  Not sure which side of the fence I am on about paying them either.  I see both good and bad in it
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

RazorPiggie

Pay them, that's fine. Make them pay their tuition, room and board, books, meals, gym memberships, trainer fees, all that cheap Nike clothing and shoes, etc if they don't graduate.

HF#1

No excuse for the crime they committed.  There are plenty of broke college athletes that don't resort to xeroxing money. They deserve whatever punishment they get and I don't expect any of them to return to the team.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

widespreadsooie

I think it's safe to say the OP didn't necessarily consider all angles of his theory

GatorHog

I want to see one of these 50s. I imagine them as comically fake, with like Dusty Hannahs in an English judge's wig or something. 

HF#1

Quote from: GatorHog on July 23, 2015, 08:25:38 pm
I want to see one of these 50s. I imagine them as comically fake, with like Dusty Hannahs in an English judge's wig or something. 

I saw a fake $10 one time.  It was about half the size of a normal bill.  I laughed and gave it to the police.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

widespreadsooie

I picture the bills being created thru photo shop and/or Microsoft paint and them being printed off in Mullins Library

ricepig

Quote from: widespreadsooie on July 23, 2015, 08:32:28 pm
I picture the bills being created thru photo shop and/or Microsoft paint and them being printed off in Mullins Library

I figure the bills were handed to them from some acquaintances from the past.

GatorHog

If I counterfeited, I would go with 1s and 5s.  Nobody cares about that crap.  No marker check.  Free chipotle's errday?  Sign me up. 

Hawghiggs

Paying athletes isn't what is killing college athletics. What's killing it is constant realignment to get market shares for conference networks. Its having a playoff game instead of just an exhibition bowl game. If you run college sports teams like professional teams, don't get mad when the help wants a cut.

mizzouman

What's killing college athletics is the same thing that puts the SEC on top.  TV money.

But, I think that it's hit the max.  ESPN is struggling and while the other networks are catching up, the rise in money floating around for college athletics cannot be sustained.

Pork Twain

Players committing crime is not a reason to pay players.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Brandon72

Yeah, because the prisons are full of people that only stole because they were poor. 

Federal prisons are overflowing with millionaires that are crooks and just plain criminals. 

You can always come up with an excuse for criminal conduct; in fact, some might have some merit to them, but at the end of the day, excusing criminal conduct because one is poor is just b.s.

The Hogfather

It certainly would.  It would do waaaay more harm than it would good, to the athletes and the schools they are playing for.

NaturalStateReb

Yes.  The problem with these guys wasn't that they made a conscious decision to take criminal action, it's that their stay in a publicly financed educational resort just wasn't posh enough.

Geez. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: mizzouman on July 24, 2015, 07:29:31 am
What's killing college athletics is the same thing that puts the SEC on top.  TV money.

But, I think that it's hit the max.  ESPN is struggling and while the other networks are catching up, the rise in money floating around for college athletics cannot be sustained.

At some point your product hits a point of diminishing returns.  There's no reason to believe that the economic expansion we've seen lately can be sustained long-term.  None.  Doesn't mean the money's going away, but every TV deal from here on out isn't going to be some totally insane TV deal.

The fact of the matter is that college athletics was an undervalued entertainment commodity.  Now it's getting fair market value.  There's no reason to expect broadcasters to pay above that FMV in the future.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogfan10

The problem is; whatever amount is paid will never be enough. They get paid "stipends" as it is now. How did these "kids" afford to pay for their multiple tattoos, polo shirts, sneakers, cars, etc.; but they aren't "paid" enough to see a movie, buy a pizza, go bowling. Getting larger stipends will only result in more tattoos, bigger stereos/rims, and nicer sneakers. It most likely won't be used on the essentials; then we can just restart the "these athletes need to be paid more" all over again.

hawginbigd1

Please pay me what they are already receiving to work 20 hours a week and travel the country first class. Feed me, clothe me, look after me like my parents are going to school with me. Paying them a little extra is not a problem to me, because they do have less opportunity to get a cash paying job, my problem is it somehow seems that they are being treated unfairly, and that is BS IMO. 

The_Iceman

$Tuition
$Meal Plan
$Housing
$Books
$Tutoring
$Nike Gear

These players are definitely getting paid, they just don't know how to live within their means.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 24, 2015, 12:12:52 pm
$Tuition
$Meal Plan
$Housing
$Books
$Tutoring
$Nike Gear

These players are definitely getting paid, they just don't know how to live within their means.

Exactly.  Whatever is paid to the student athletes will have to be cut from existing budgets, whether it is facilities/training/coaches/equipment/food/travel, etc.

ricepig

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 24, 2015, 12:15:09 pm
Exactly.  Whatever is paid to the student athletes will have to be cut from existing budgets, whether it is facilities/training/coaches/equipment/food/travel, etc.

Yep, coming out of the surplus.

Torqued pork

If you need to pay players to keep them from breaking laws you simply recruited the wrong players. This notion that every poor perp is just a helpless victim is beyond old.

hobhog

Quote from: Torqued pork on July 24, 2015, 02:45:27 pm
If you need to pay players to keep them from breaking laws you simply recruited the wrong players. This notion that every poor perp is just a helpless victim is beyond old.

This. Pay thiefs and they won't steal? Some peoples logic is baffling.....

moses_007

Quote from: GatorHog on July 23, 2015, 09:09:12 pm
If I counterfeited, I would go with 1s and 5s.  Nobody cares about that crap.  No marker check.  Free chipotle's errday?  Sign me up. 

The feds will be after you for putting an afro on George Washington.  :)

bigred223

Please, other college students pay their way so they can get a job after college. These guys have a free education and get to showcase their skills on the national stage. If they have what it takes, they can make money playing professionally. I'm tired of hearing "oh the schools make so much money" blah, blah, blah. Guess what? The school makes money from tuition from regular college students as well. It's a privilege to play a major college sport, and no one is forcing them to do it.

Now when it comes to say selling autographs, I can see the argument there. However, the vast majority of college players do not have a "brand" per say. The top academic scholarships at Arkansas pay out a stipend of $2000 a semester, I believe. That may be reasonable for athletes, but anything more is absurd.

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

TRUHOG718

I respectfully disagree with this reasoning. I to was a student athlete and my parents were anything but affluent with the purse.  Being broke is never a reason to commit a felony and jeopardize future employment post college. my parents worked too hard for me to be at school goofing off and these young men have to understand being a student athlete is a privilege not a right.  They let the university, their teammates, family, and fans down. Hopefully they learn from this and never do anything this foolish again.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: widespreadsooie on July 23, 2015, 08:32:28 pm

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

(notOM)Rebel123

Yeah, rich professional athletes never commit crimes. Must be the money, right?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ChicoHog

Quote from: hogfan10 on July 24, 2015, 10:09:29 am
The problem is; whatever amount is paid will never be enough. They get paid "stipends" as it is now. How did these "kids" afford to pay for their multiple tattoos, polo shirts, sneakers, cars, etc.; but they aren't "paid" enough to see a movie, buy a pizza, go bowling. Getting larger stipends will only result in more tattoos, bigger stereos/rims, and nicer sneakers. It most likely won't be used on the essentials; then we can just restart the "these athletes need to be paid more" all over again.
exactly.  They get money to live off campus in an apartment, get as much food as they want, tons of athletic gear, feebies from bowls, etc.,  I've know many college athletes and none of them were hurting so bad they could not afford to have the basics. 

naturalbornpigger

If you want to be paid for playing ball, they have leagues for that.  Just go to work in one of those.

Rzbakfromwaybak

July 26, 2015, 01:37:50 am #45 Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:52:29 am by Rzbakfromwaybak

To me the Hogs basketball players being arrested all comes down to one thing: money. Obviously if they were being taken care of by the university like they should be they wouldn't have had to resort to that to put a little extra money in their pockets. When athletes commit assualt or hit a woman or get popped for drugs or something like that, that's just them being a knucklehead. But when it comes to something involvingmoney, like robbery or something of this nature, that's different. A lot of these guys aren't well off before they go to college, and when it comes to them needing money it just should not come to this. The colleges get rich off the backs of these guys, and while it has gotten better, it's still not where it needs to be. And I'm not just talking about these particular guys. I really believe Portis and Qualls (those are just the latest examples) could've been persuaded to come back if the money was there and improve their draft stock. Same goes for Darius Philon. A little money now (but not as much as they could've made later by staying) is better than no money at all.  As long as this issue is not adequately addressed you're going to continue to see cases like this.

Lol.  I sure hope all the University's across the country read the above post.  If they had only known that giving college athletes more money would wipe out counterfeiting, & theft at college... they could have stopped those crimes from being necessary. Shame on them.

Bet if the govt. would have given all the criminals that are now in prison, monthly allowance checks....they wouldn't have had to rob & steal all that property that put them in jail in the first place.  After all, they just needed to put a little extra money in their pockets.    ;)
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

jesterzzn

We should pay players so that they won't commit or be tempted to commit felony forgery?  Shirley, you can't be serious.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Fatty McGee

Quote from: RzRbAcK18 on July 23, 2015, 05:35:54 pm

Telling me you didn't get paid doesn't mean much, because you didn't really have a special skill that made the college a lot of money.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: bigred223 on July 24, 2015, 08:35:58 pm
Please, other college students pay their way so they can get a job after college. These guys have a free education and get to showcase their skills on the national stage. If they have what it takes, they can make money playing professionally. I'm tired of hearing "oh the schools make so much money" blah, blah, blah. Guess what? The school makes money from tuition from regular college students as well. It's a privilege to play a major college sport, and no one is forcing them to do it.

Now when it comes to say selling autographs, I can see the argument there. However, the vast majority of college players do not have a "brand" per say. The top academic scholarships at Arkansas pay out a stipend of $2000 a semester, I believe. That may be reasonable for athletes, but anything more is absurd.

Why in America is it absurd for a person to maximize the return on their talents?  Sounds quintessentially American.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!