Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The tradition continues at Mizzou...

Started by Swinesong1, July 15, 2015, 09:01:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Swinesong1

mizzouman

Been known for a while.  Mizzou is actively recruiting Andre Adams for this year for some time now in anticipation of Teki leaving, and will be putting their hat in the ring for Austin Nichols soon. 

I'm hearing there's a great chance one of these guys will be a Tiger this coming year.  Out of the 2, Adams seems to be a better chance.

But, there also may be others as well. 

Teki went back home to Canada to rehab a very bad back.  Was never a 100% since the Illinois game.  Took some online courses at Mizzou to keep eligible this summer.  He had promised to return but never did.  So, the coaches started to recruit to fill in the extra schollie.

Swinesong1

I thought that coach from Huntington Prep was supposed to be delivering the goods?  Seems to be a dud on getting top recruits from there.

mizzouman

Quote from: Swinesong1 on July 16, 2015, 07:30:30 am
I thought that coach from Huntington Prep was supposed to be delivering the goods?  Seems to be a dud on getting top recruits from there.

He has other connections. 

He did bring in Teki but I think that he just wasn't comfortable in Columbia.  There's a lot of differences culturally and he just wasn't comfortable.  Can't blame him.

Some people can adjust some can't.

mizzouman

Looks like Nichols may be going to UVA, a school I think Memphis wanted to restrict.

jry04

Mizzou is going to remain a bottom 3 school in the SEC as long as Kim Anderson is there, in my opinion.

mizzouman

Quote from: jry04 on July 16, 2015, 07:57:44 am
Mizzou is going to remain a bottom 3 school in the SEC as long as Kim Anderson is there, in my opinion.
Perhaps.  Jury is still out.  I think it will come down to whether or not, in the next couple of years, these kids can play with the same toughness that he played with under Norm. 

Last year there were some chemistry issues, some guys not wanting to play with that toughness, some guys were cancerous.  Hopefully, that has been fixed but time will tell.

jry04

Quote from: mizzouman on July 16, 2015, 08:08:34 am
Perhaps.  Jury is still out.  I think it will come down to whether or not, in the next couple of years, these kids can play with the same toughness that he played with under Norm. 

Last year there were some chemistry issues, some guys not wanting to play with that toughness, some guys were cancerous.  Hopefully, that has been fixed but time will tell.
You definitely know more about that stuff than me. However, I just don't think you guys will land too many quality recruits. It appears that you guys are on your way to another losing season. Every game I watched, it didn't appear you guys had any type of offense, and played at a very slow pace. I attended a game last year, and 6 or 7 straight possessions Wes Clark dribbled the ball for 20 seconds, and then JW3 set a screen for him and he shot it late in the shot clock. Everyone else was standing around the perimeter guarding themselves.

mizzouman

Quote from: jry04 on July 16, 2015, 08:22:03 am
You definitely know more about that stuff than me. However, I just don't think you guys will land too many quality recruits. It appears that you guys are on your way to another losing season. Every game I watched, it didn't appear you guys had any type of offense, and played at a very slow pace. I attended a game last year, and 6 or 7 straight possessions Wes Clark dribbled the ball for 20 seconds, and then JW3 set a screen for him and he shot it late in the shot clock. Everyone else was standing around the perimeter guarding themselves.
Last year is in the books.  A complete horrid season. 

But, an assistant coaching change, some key recruits in the STL area and locally can help, A LOT.

My opinion is that if we cannot get 2 of the 3 players in the STL area we are after and the big one in Columbia, then I believe KA will not longer be the coach 3 years from now.

The_Iceman

mizzouman

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 16, 2015, 09:48:36 am
What a dumpster fire!
It was last year.  In fact, that's putting it nicely.

LA Football fan

Missouri has always been a basketball school and I have no reason not to think that won't still be the case.  Some seasons just melt down for numerous reasons.  There is a lot of talent that comes out of the state of Missouri and you guys will get your share for sure.   You have a great home atmosphere to play in and that will help.  May not improve that much this coming season, but I believe you will start your climb back up and start picking up some talented players.  We have had our share of dumpster fire seasons the past 10 years too.  I think that is over for now.  Mike has stabilized the program and we should have competitive teams while he is here, especially with the talent that seems to be coming through the state of Arkansas right now. 

Hawg Red

I don't think Kim Anderson was a good hire or fit at Missouri, despite his D2 success or previous ties to the school. At that point, they should have gone with a younger coach. Even if it was an up-and-comer. But they hired a 60 year old coach out of D2. That was a worse hire than Frank Haith.

ArkansasI

I don't get the Kim Anderson coach hate.  He entered on the heels of Frank Haith who left Mizzou for Tulsa...  All kinds of bad things must have been going on for Frank to have left Columbia - strange.

Kim appears to be a good man and I will not be the least bit surprised to see him build Mizzou into a brand that its fans will support.  He graduated from and is a former player at Mizzou.  He fits what the program has done when it was consistently good.

He has proven he can take a team to a national championship.  Like others have posted, there is plenty of talent in Kansas City and St. Louis for him to transition up.  I liked the underclassmen he brought in last year.

Kim is a nice story.  I'm sure he is pinching himself...  Aside from when he's playing the Hogs, good luck to him.

jry04

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 16, 2015, 02:25:04 pm
I don't get the Kim Anderson coach hate.  He entered on the heels of Frank Haith who left Mizzou for Tulsa...  All kinds of bad things must have been going on for Frank to have left Columbia - strange.

Kim appears to be a good man and I will not be the least bit surprised to see him build Mizzou into a brand that its fans will support.  He graduated from and is a former player at Mizzou.  He fits what the program has done when it was consistently good.

He has proven he can take a team to a national championship.  Like others have posted, there is plenty of talent in Kansas City and St. Louis for him to transition up.  I liked the underclassmen he brought in last year.

Kim is a nice story.  I'm sure he is pinching himself...  Aside from when he's playing the Hogs, good luck to him.
Nobody is saying he is a bad person. I am sure he is a great man. However, if you watch Mizzou basketball, the players look lost. He is having trouble, to this point, with keeping players in state. Most of the top recruits in the state for last season and this next season have committed elsewhere. His offense is extremely stagnant, and now has players transferring out of the program that were going to be key contributors.

Barring a miracle, Mizzou will likely be 5+ games under .500 for a second consecutive season, which won't make recruiting any easier. The program wasn't in the best shape when he inherited it, but so far there isn't much reason to believe he is going to turn it around any time soon.

ArkansasI

July 16, 2015, 03:24:53 pm #15 Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:56:56 am by ArkansasI
Quote from: jry04 on July 16, 2015, 02:32:13 pm
Nobody is saying he is a bad person. I am sure he is a great man. However, if you watch Mizzou basketball, the players look lost. He is having trouble, to this point, with keeping players in state. Most of the top recruits in the state for last season and this next season have committed elsewhere. His offense is extremely stagnant, and now has players transferring out of the program that were going to be key contributors.

Barring a miracle, Mizzou will likely be 5+ games under .500 for a second consecutive season, which won't make recruiting any easier. The program wasn't in the best shape when he inherited it, but so far there isn't much reason to believe he is going to turn it around any time soon.
My post was in response to those that seem critical of Missouri for hiring Kim - I wasn't just defending his personality.  I like the hire.  Regardless of his age, if Mizzou keeps him I think he'll restore stability to the program.

It seems that Kim is faced with real problems.  He is having to cure the sickness that was ushered in by Haith.  His treatment may result in some losses.  Razorback fans can understand this process.

From my perspective, things had to be perversely wrong for Haith to abandon Columbia in favor of Tulsa.  While Kim may not be raking in the best talent, Razorback fans would be wise not to compare in-state recruiting prowess of our head coaches.

Mizzou competed well against the Hogs in Fayetteville last year.  Most of the talent that I saw on that team was underclassmen.  To the extent those players are moving on, I'll reserve judgment until I see who he replaces them with.  We've all seen coaches having to scramble for players lately.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 16, 2015, 03:24:53 pm
From my perspective, things had to be perversely wrong for Haith to abandon Columbia in favor of Tulsa. 

Haith's move to Tulsa was, in my opinion, a preemptive move. He jumped before he got fired. He would have been fired if they missed the tournament last season. He was trending south at Missouri because he's a medicore coach and the league is slowing getting better each year and that's all there is to it.

Tulsa was moving from C-USA to the AAC, a conference stuck between high and mid-major but probably more looked at as a high-major conference. And he gets a reset. And lower expectations. It was a calculated move on his part to save his name and prolong his career at the high-major level.

orgkeith

Missouri seems to be using the Pel model.  Until they start recruiting better people they will have the same problems.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 16, 2015, 03:31:35 pm
Haith's move to Tulsa was, in my opinion, a preemptive move. He jumped before he got fired. He would have been fired if they missed the tournament last season. He was trending south at Missouri because he's a medicore coach and the league is slowing getting better each year and that's all there is to it.

Tulsa was moving from C-USA to the AAC, a conference stuck between high and mid-major but probably more looked at as a high-major conference. And he gets a reset. And lower expectations. It was a calculated move on his part to save his name and prolong his career at the high-major level.

+1.  I live in t-town and my clients & buddies that are Tulsa fans agree w/ you.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

intelligence

Easy to criticize a coach in hist first season when the previous coach bailed and left a mostly empty cupboard. No reason to act childish and bash Missouri just because some of their fans acted childish and trashed MA constantly. As Arkansas fans, we should be above this Busch League behavior. Especially with the classy manner in which mizzouman conducts himself on this board.

jry04

Quote from: intelligence on July 16, 2015, 10:39:10 pm
Easy to criticize a coach in hist first season when the previous coach bailed and left a mostly empty cupboard. No reason to act childish and bash Missouri just because some of their fans acted childish and trashed MA constantly. As Arkansas fans, we should be above this Busch League behavior. Especially with the classy manner in which mizzouman conducts himself on this board.
Nobody is bashing Mizzouman, and only 1 person has bashed Mizzou, and really he wasn't incorrect. He said it was a dumpster fire, and Mizzouman even agreed it was last season. Not sure how anyone is acting childish in this thread.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think once this next season is in the books Kim Anderson will have back-to-back losing seasons, and have the best player in the state going to another school, yet again. That isn't recipe for success.

The_Iceman

Quote from: intelligence on July 16, 2015, 10:39:10 pm

How many 4-star rated players were on Mizzou's team last season?

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2015, 10:36:39 am
How many 4-star rated players were on Mizzou's team last season?
I know this wasn't directed towards me, but I know that there will be at least 2 less on next year's team.

The_Iceman

Quote from: jry04 on July 17, 2015, 10:50:58 am
I know this wasn't directed towards me, but I know that there will be at least 2 less on next year's team.

Last year's team wasn't "bare":

Namon Wright, 6'5" 4-star SG
Montaque Gill-Caesar, 6'5" 4-star SG
JaKeenan Gant, 6'7" 4-star PF
Wes Clark, 6'1" 4-star PG (injured)
Johnathan Williams III, 6'9" 4-star PF
Keanau Post, 6'11" Top JUCO Center
Deuce Bello, 6'4" 4-star SF

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2015, 11:36:34 am

Agreed. Like I said earlier, when I watched them it looked like coaching. Hard to win games when you run the same offense 10+ possessions in a row, which consists of letting Wes Clark dribble for 20-25 seconds of the shot clock.

ArkansasI

This thread stays interesting to me.

Quote from: jry04 on July 17, 2015, 09:35:26 am
You are entitled to your opinion, but I think once this next season is in the books Kim Anderson will have back-to-back losing seasons, and have the best player in the state going to another school, yet again. That isn't recipe for success.
I agree that having the best player in state leave for another school is no way to build a program.  Kim is starting year 2 of his program.

This has been a concern that I've had with Mike.  He did well to keep Bobby, but hasn't otherwise done so well keeping the top in-state talent.  I hope this get turned around immediately.

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2015, 11:36:34 am

So were these guys recruited by Kim or Frank?  If Kim signed them, it seems that he should be given a few years to make things gel with a young team.  If these are Frank's players, why in the world did he bolt to Tulsa with all this talent on his roster?

Again, I don't really give a crap about Mizzou, I'm just trying to make sense of the criticism.

Quote from: jry04 on July 17, 2015, 11:40:03 am
Agreed. Like I said earlier, when I watched them it looked like coaching. Hard to win games when you run the same offense 10+ possessions in a row, which consists of letting Wes Clark dribble for 20-25 seconds of the shot clock.
Until last year - when we looked much better offensively - I said the exact same thing about Mike's teams.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 17, 2015, 12:58:37 pm
If these are Frank's players, why in the world did he bolt to Tulsa with all this talent on his roster?

Again, I don't really give a crap about Mizzou, I'm just trying to make sense of the criticism.

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 16, 2015, 03:31:35 pm

jry04

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 17, 2015, 12:58:37 pm
This thread stays interesting to me.
I agree that having the best player in state leave for another school is no way to build a program.  Kim is starting year 2 of his program.

This has been a concern that I've had with Mike.  He did well to keep Bobby, but hasn't otherwise done so well keeping the top in-state talent.  I hope this get turned around immediately.
So were these guys recruited by Kim or Frank?  If Kim signed them, it seems that he should be given a few years to make things gel with a young team.  If these are Frank's players, why in the world did he bolt to Tulsa with all this talent on his roster?

Until last year - when we looked much better offensively - I said the exact same thing about Mike's teams.
I don't disagree, but this is about Kim Anderson, and Missouri. It isn't about Mike Anderson. Anderson had far more success, even in struggling years, here than Kim had last year. Kim Anderson is about to have back-to-back losing seasons at Missouri. There isn't much of an excuse for that considering the talent in Missouri, and the talent they had on their roster last season. They weren't his players, but they were still capable of winning more than 9 games.

Hawg Red

Mike Anderson has never had a losing season, which less a losing season with a roster full of 4-star players. Mike's problem is getting a roster full of 4-star (or higher) players, not coaching them.

Maybe Kim Anderson will get it turned around at Missouri, but there is absolutely nothing present at this time to point towards that. It's hard for a high-major school to do worse than 9-23, especially with that kind of talent on hand. Doesn't matter how many of them were his.

mizzouman

Doesn't matter how many 4 stars you have. If the chemistry isn't there and some cancer, you not going to succeed.

HAM ELLIOT

Quote from: mizzouman on July 16, 2015, 07:26:15 am
Been known for a while.  Mizzou is actively recruiting Andre Adams for this year for some time now in anticipation of Teki leaving, and will be putting their hat in the ring for Austin Nichols soon. 

I'm hearing there's a great chance one of these guys will be a Tiger this coming year.  Out of the 2, Adams seems to be a better chance.

But, there also may be others as well. 

Teki went back home to Canada to rehab a very bad back.  Was never a 100% since the Illinois game.  Took some online courses at Mizzou to keep eligible this summer.  He had promised to return but never did.  So, the coaches started to recruit to fill in the extra schollie.

Is that info straight from MuBobby?  The only guy EVER to throw the entire hogville site into a downward spiral! 

mizzouman

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on July 22, 2015, 10:52:17 pm
Is that info straight from MuBobby?  The only guy EVER to throw the entire hogville site into a downward spiral! 
Again, please understand.......Mubobby is FOOTBALL.......Crazylegs is BASKETBALL......c'mon man!!