Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

anything new on kapita?

Started by makiavelli, July 14, 2015, 12:28:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

makiavelli

just wondering any news on him? havent had a chance to listen to the radio last few days so haven't heard anything
Wally Hall is an angry lil guy

Thepigdoctor

Is there a time table we can watch or is it just see if he enrolled by August for the start of the semester?

-Blu

Dudley said he confirmed it was a clearinghouse issue.  Didn't say much about it after that.  I think everyone is just in a wait and see approach about it. 

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: -Blu on July 14, 2015, 03:40:06 pm
Dudley said he confirmed it was a clearinghouse issue.  Didn't say much about it after that.  I think everyone is just in a wait and see approach about it. 

That's helpful.  Thanks.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: -Blu on July 14, 2015, 03:40:06 pm

Wow

UNCLE BACK

I heard this weekend that Coach A fully expects Kapita to be on Roster when the season starts in November.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on July 14, 2015, 04:20:10 pm
I heard this weekend that Coach A fully expects Kapita to be on Roster when the season starts in November.
I hope he knows that for a fact and not just being hopeful.

-Blu

That's good news.  Where'd you hear that at?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: -Blu on July 14, 2015, 06:02:40 pm
That's good news.  Where'd you hear that at?
Hogville. 

One of the mods posted it last week.
All Gas, No Brakes!

poloprince

Yes, he will be arriving sooner than later.
$PoLoPrInCe$

intelligence

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 14, 2015, 07:23:34 pm
Hogville. 

One of the mods posted it last week.

Hmm, must have missed that. Good if true. Should put some concerns to bed for now.

jry04

Quote from: intelligence on July 14, 2015, 07:25:03 pm
Hmm, must have missed that. Good if true. Should put some concerns to bed for now.
Porked Tongue said basically the same thing.

bigdaddyhawg

He'd better be on the roster by the second week (or so) of the fall semester, or he won't be on at all til possibly the spring semester.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: ricepig on July 16, 2015, 12:39:27 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/jul/16/kapita-awaiting-word-eligiblity-center/

This doesn't sound good especially if Whitt is the only freshman coming in. The numbers on schloarships will be all out of wack. Not too many JUCO sophomores commit. I hope he gets cleared because he's a project player that I look forward to seeing him develope.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

you think Kapita is a "project"?

8)

hogsanity

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on July 16, 2015, 01:37:32 pm
you think Kapita is a "project"?

8)

I thinkhe is a 10-12ppg 8 boards a game player. Not bad at all for 1st yr. those #'s are just for his 1st year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: hogsanity on July 16, 2015, 01:46:03 pm
I thinkhe is a 10-12ppg 8 boards a game player. Not bad at all for 1st yr. those #'s are just for his 1st year.
I agree.  I just don't think anyone ranked in the top 50-75 of the whole country a "project".  I have seen nothing from clips or former production to think that he is just an "athlete" or a "body" that needs to work extensively on skills.  I don't expect the next Jordan, but come on people.   ;D

hogsanity

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on July 16, 2015, 01:49:58 pm
I agree.  I just don't think anyone ranked in the top 50-75 of the whole country a "project".  I have seen nothing from clips or former production to think that he is just an "athlete" or a "body" that needs to work extensively on skills.  I don't expect the next Jordan, but come on people.   ;D

There are parts of his game that do need more work than others. I think he could be considered a project in that sense. Honestly, 97% of all incoming players in college basketball are projects in one way or another.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TheRazorbackGuy

Those clips are against high school kids in West Virginia. You face 18-23 year olds that were highly recruited as well when you get in power 5 basketball. Project is projecting the player. Coming off a hip injury he heals he could project fine. I think he is a developmental player just like every player recruited. its up to the coaching staff to develope him into an elite power 5 big man and it could happen. I just don't see it in his freshman season. This isn't high school and he isn't a lottery pick caliber player that usually goes to Kentucky. I hope the fans are not expecting that. But exprcting him to project to grow and develope as a Power 5 player. I think he will be good to great as a college player just not sure it will be as freshman. I hope I'm wrong though.

jry04

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on July 16, 2015, 02:14:36 pm
Those clips are against high school kids in West Virginia. You face 18-23 year olds that were highly recruited as well when you get in power 5 basketball. Project is projecting the player. Coming off a hip injury he heals he could project fine. I think he is a developmental player just like every player recruited. its up to the coaching staff to develope him into an elite power 5 big man and it could happen. I just don't see it in his freshman season. This isn't high school and he isn't a lottery pick caliber player that usually goes to Kentucky. I hope the fans are not expecting that. But exprcting him to project to grow and develope as a Power 5 player. I think he will be good to great as a college player just not sure it will be as freshman. I hope I'm wrong though.
While I am not saying he will or won't be good, you cannot say he played against high school kids in WV when he played for Huntington. They travel the country playing top talent. They only played 2 other schools from the state of WV all season. Kapita plays with and against the best of the best all season. They pretty much travel the country playing in one tournament after another against other prep schools and top 25 high schools.

I am not worried. I am sure the paperwork issues will get ironed out.

ArkansasI

It seems difficult to judge basketball players that are not universally recognized as elite.  I don't know where elite status breaks - and it undoubtedly changes every year - but I would guess it falls somewhere in the top 20-50 high school players.

Of course, there would seem to be quite a few very good players.  If most programs bring in 2-4 players each year, one might argue that the top 100 or so recruits will populate the top 20 teams.  Of course, there will be some strays, some highly rated players will flop, and some unrated players will become wildly successful.

I always expect that Razorback recruits should come from the nation's top 150.  I would hope that position recruiting would always be in the top 20 - top 20 point guard, top 20 2 guard, etc.

So where does Ted fall?  Top 70 is plenty good for me.   Maybe not elite, but I am excited to have his commitment.   I really like the tape I saw of him.  Now, more than anything, I hope he makes it to campus.

Big Nasty 34

Uh, care to recall Moses Kingsley's national rank? I'm pretty sure he has been classified as a project...

-Blu

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on July 16, 2015, 01:33:48 pm
This doesn't sound good especially if Whitt is the only freshman coming in.

We must have read a different article.  That was actually great news, that they are just waiting on paperwork from his homeland, if that is indeed true, that's much better news than waiting and hoping for a qualifying ACT score which is what we all originally thought.  If your just waiting on paperwork, that just means its just a matter of time, waiting on an ACT score, we're just hoping he made a qualifying score.

jry04

Quote from: -Blu on July 16, 2015, 04:02:57 pm
We must have read a different article.  That was actually great news, that they are just waiting on paperwork from his homeland, if that is indeed true, that's much better news than waiting and hoping for a qualifying ACT score which is what we all originally thought.  If your just waiting on paperwork, that just means it just a matter of time, waiting on an ACT score, we're just hoping he made a qualifying score.
Agreed. Nothing about this article worried me. Obviously we won't know until he is on campus or officially ruled ineligible, but at least they aren't leaving us completely in the dark now. Sounds like it will all get sorted out in time.

Biggus Piggus

I think he has to document 10-12 credit hours he got while in school in the Congo.
[CENSORED]!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 16, 2015, 03:39:22 pm
Uh, care to recall Moses Kingsley's national rank? I'm pretty sure he has been classified as a project...

Moses Kingsley is still a developing player going into his junior year

hoglady

FWIW Danny West said today he wouldn't be surprised if Kapita never made it to campus. That he just wasn't confident this would be resolved.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hogsanity on July 16, 2015, 01:46:03 pm

Is that a prediction for next year? BP was only 12 and 6.8 his freshman season.

Kapita looks like his fundamentals do look good. But I'm not sure he is ready for that.

hogsanity

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 16, 2015, 08:17:05 pm
Is that a prediction for next year? BP was only 12 and 6.8 his freshman season.

Kapita looks like his fundamentals do look good. But I'm not sure he is ready for that.

Overall, it is possible, but if you just look at SEC play he will probably be more like 8 & 5.

poloprince

Quote from: hoglady on July 16, 2015, 08:16:59 pm
FWIW Danny West said today he wouldn't be surprised if Kapita never made it to campus. That he just wasn't confident this would be resolved.

This isn't worth one wooden nickel.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 17, 2015, 12:16:11 pm
Are you saying Danny might not ever say something on full belief derived completely from his head?  Possibly to give something whether it right or wrong to paying subscribers while trying to attract new paying subscribers?  nah that's never the case.  The moment you stop questioning the media the moment they own you.  Oh wait, we are already seeing that in politics.

Yeah, I only trust Fox News when I have the volume turned to zero and am not looking at the screen.
[CENSORED]!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 17, 2015, 12:35:57 pm
Yeah, I only trust Fox News when I have the volume turned to zero and am not looking at the screen.

I always took you for a Rush fan. 

hoglady

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 17, 2015, 09:52:42 am
sounds like something he pulled out of his butt with no inside info on the situation to back him up. just something to throw into the twittersphere  to get a reaction.

I was listening to sports radio yesterday and he was talking about it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

ricepig

You don't have to be from Congo to have the Clearinghouse delay your admission. Josh Allen couldn't get in NC, they finally cleared him in Sept, too late for the fall semester.

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

TexArkHogFan

I clicked on here to see if there was anything new on Kapita.  Big mistake. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

jry04

Dudley said again on Bo's show that it is a paperwork issue. They are waiting on information on a few classes from the Congo. Pretty much what others have said. However, it has nothing to do with his amateur status as some have said. Strictly paperwork, and a clearinghouse issue. As soon as the paperwork is sent from his home country, they will know pretty soon whether he is approved or not.

I know it doesn't often work out, but Kapita is saying he plans on attending Arkansas whether it be in the fall, December, or next summer.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: jry04 on July 21, 2015, 03:19:34 pm
Dudley said again on Bo's show that it is a paperwork issue. They are waiting on information on a few classes from the Congo. Pretty much what others have said. However, it has nothing to do with his amateur status as some have said. Strictly paperwork, and a clearinghouse issue. As soon as the paperwork is sent from his home country, they will know pretty soon whether he is approved or not.

I know it doesn't often work out, but Kapita is saying he plans on attending Arkansas whether it be in the fall, December, or next summer.
I've never had a solid feeling about Kapita.
I've always wondered how we got him. It never passed the smell test.
Some pounce 'What? You're saying Arkansas/Anderson can't sign a top recruit like that? What about Whitt? What about Kingsley?'
To which I say, true. We do get some top recruits here and there. But by and large, we're not known as a recruiting machine. The fact Kapita was a Top 50 recruit and committed here over other pretty good offers(but not the top schools) always led me to think a) his injury scared teams away b) his academics scared people away

Sometimes it works out. Anthony Lucas was like that. He had some academic issues that led him teams to back away, and Arkansas was desperate enough to take him anyway, and everything worked out and he was one of the best WRs to ever play here.

But I think my instincts on Kapita were correct. I just hope it works out.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 21, 2015, 11:14:09 pm
Some pounce 'What? You're saying Arkansas/Anderson can't sign a top recruit like that? What about Whitt? What about Kingsley?'
To which I say, true. We do get some top recruits here and there. But by and large, we're not known as a recruiting machine. The fact Kapita was a Top 50 recruit and committed here over other pretty good offers(but not the top schools) always led me to think a) his injury scared teams away b) his academics scared people away

Sometimes it works out. Anthony Lucas was like that. He had some academic issues that led him teams to back away, and Arkansas was desperate enough to take him anyway, and everything worked out and he was one of the best WRs to ever play here.

Why did Mizz and Oregon pay for Kapita to visit there schools after he visited Arkansas if they were so scared by the injury or of getting his paperwork from Congo?

jry04

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 21, 2015, 11:14:09 pm

I don't think you could be anymore wrong. Anderson has shown he will not waste times on guys who have little, to no chance of making campus. That would be even more so this off-season since we have more guys leaving than we do coming in.

Also, Kapita's host family's daughter lives in NWA. He said he wanted to go to a smaller college town, which Fayetteville is, and living near family was going to make the transition easier.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: jry04 on July 22, 2015, 08:35:59 am
I don't think you could be anymore wrong. Anderson has shown he will not waste times on guys who have little, to no chance of making campus. That would be even more so this off-season since we have more guys leaving than we do coming in.

Also, Kapita's host family's daughter lives in NWA. He said he wanted to go to a smaller college town, which Fayetteville is, and living near family was going to make the transition easier.
I guess we will see who is right or wrong if and when Kapita shows up on Campus.  I want Coach Anderson to go nationally and sign the best because we want Arkansas to be consistently ranked nationally.  I think he and staff are paid the big bucks to do that for us here at Arkansas.  But I am skeptical until I start seeing national 4/5 star kids actually start signing and playing for us.   

I want Kapita but I have my doubts he will ever show up.

jry04

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 22, 2015, 08:54:25 am
I guess we will see who is right or wrong if and when Kapita shows up on Campus.  I want Coach Anderson to go nationally and sign the best because we want Arkansas to be consistently ranked nationally.  I think he and staff are paid the big bucks to do that for us here at Arkansas.  But I am skeptical until I start seeing national 4/5 star kids actually start signing and playing for us.   

I want Kapita but I have my doubts he will ever show up.
It doesn't work like that. The staff and recruiting analysts all felt his situation was good, and would make it to campus. You cant just come in here and give your opinion when it doesn't look likely he will make it, and then if he doesn't make it say "I told you he wouldn't make it, and he only committed because we would take the risk on him." Neither one of us have a clue how likely he was, and if he doesn't make it that doesn't make your opinion of the situation anymore true. For all we know this whole issue came out of left field. Again, all we have to go off of is what is being reported, and Mike's history. Mike doesn't have a history of taking risks, so why would he do it this year when getting players in is huge after losing so many players? Your theory doesn't add up, in my opinion.

hoglady

All I know is I will take the side of MA and Kapita on this until I learn different.
We are talking about the NCAA here.
Everyone involved probably thought everything was just fine until all of a sudden it wasn't - due to some last minute BS by the NCAA.

jry04

Quote from: hoglady on July 22, 2015, 09:47:51 am
All I know is I will take the side of MA and Kapita on this until I learn different.
We are talking about the NCAA here.
Everyone involved probably thought everything was just fine until all of a sudden it wasn't - due to some last minute BS by the NCAA.
According to everyone who has talked to the staff and the family, there wasn't anything to worry about and then the NCAA decided they needed more information on a few classes he completed in his home country. This issue wasn't ever an issue with any school during the recruiting process.

hoglady

Quote from: jry04 on July 22, 2015, 09:58:56 am
According to everyone who has talked to the staff and the family, there wasn't anything to worry about and then the NCAA decided they needed more information on a few classes he completed in his home country. This issue wasn't ever an issue with any school during the recruiting process.

Just what I figured - sounds about par for the NCAA.
A pretty dysfunctional and unfair governing body for sure.

PonderinHog

Isn't Kapita a pretty good student? 

HognitiveDissonance

I don't have any idea what the NCAA needs now or whether Kapita will show up or not, so I'm not skeptical or 'un-skeptical' on that.

What I am skeptical about is Ark signing top recruits. When we do, I always think there is a backstory. In this case, maybe it was Kapita's injury or academics that 'scared teams away'. Or Portis, 'well he always wanted to be a Hog anyway'.

Whitt and Kingsley had real good offers, so those are good examples of guys with no apparent 'issues' that we got. Guess I just need to see us beat out top schools more often to remove any skepticism.