Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Monk Set to Reduce List of Schools Under Consideration

Started by Jason Carroll, July 12, 2015, 11:18:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Carroll

Sometime next month Bentonville High basketball five-star recruit Malik Monk will announce his top five choices from among the dozens of colleges that have been recruiting him over the last year or two. The good news for Razorback Basketball coach Mike Anderson is that Arkansas will be one one of those schools. "Yeah, they're in it," Monk confirmed.

Making the cut will perhaps temporarily reduce the chatter from a Razorback fan base that hasn't had much to get excited about lately. With the eligibility of incoming forward Ted Kapita allegedly in question many fans who follow the Hogs' recruiting are bracing for eventual bad news from Monk. Monk's brother, former Razorback Marcus Monk, told reporters over the weekend that Kentucky head coach John Calipari has given the family a detailed game plan for how Malik Monk will be developed at the school if he does indeed pick Kentucky. Marcus Monk also said that his own ties to Arkansas will have nothing to do with his brother's final decision.   

For more click on the link below:

http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/monk-set-to-reduce-list-of-schools-under-considera/19711/x2FOSzNDYkuSMH0MCNKlbw

hoglady

The culture we've created with these high school athletes and their lists / and their
announcements to make an announcement / is enough to make you want to  :puke:
Just quietly take your allowed visits and when you make a decision say where you're going to school.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

daprospecta

At this point, I would be indifferent about Monk coming to the hill.  I don't want the kid to feel coerced. I want him here if he truly wants to be here.  We know that barring injury, he will be a one and done. I can tell you that I don't want to see the kid go to Kentucky.  I fear a precedent of high ranking Arkansas players going to other schools in the SEC.

LRHawg

Years of mediocrity have really hurt this small state. The kids who grew up watching Corliss are gone, and now we're into the kids that came up during the bad times. The only way to overcome this is by success on the court. Last year was a step in the right direction but until we are back in the tourney 2/3 years we will have a hard time keeping the big stars at home.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LRHawg on July 13, 2015, 08:57:52 am
Years of mediocrity have really hurt this small state. The kids who grew up watching Corliss are gone, and now we're into the kids that came up during the bad times. The only way to overcome this is by success on the court. Last year was a step in the right direction but until we are back in the tourney 2/3 years we will have a hard time keeping the big stars at home.
Hard to disagree with this post.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: LRHawg on July 13, 2015, 08:57:52 am

The kids now grew up watching Stan Heath and John Pelphrey's disaster of a basketball program.

We have a very good traditin but also now have so much to overcome.
We have not made it to the second weekend in the NCAA since the beginning of Bill Clinton's second term.....That is horrible.

LRHawg

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 13, 2015, 09:17:06 am

We have not made it to the second weekend in the NCAA since the beginning of Bill Clinton's second term.....That is horrible.

Ouch. Truth hurts.

I have confidence that Mike will be successful here, but the difference between pretty good and great for him in the near future is getting Monk here. We don't have to have him to succeed, but the kids in this state need to see him stay here and then go on to the NBA and be successful.

It is awfully frustrating that Monk is heavily considering going to Kentucky, when the top 10 money earners in the NBA went to Davidson, Oklahoma, etc and other non-powerhouse schools. This concept seems lost on kids and it is sad. At the end of the day, it's his talent and his choice to make, but surely he can learn from Marcus what advantages staying home will provide in your future?

HoopS

If he's as good as the hype, he will make the league from anywhere.

MountieDawg

Quote from: LRHawg on July 13, 2015, 09:29:36 am
Ouch. Truth hurts.

I have confidence that Mike will be successful here, but the difference between pretty good and great for him in the near future is getting Monk here. We don't have to have him to succeed, but the kids in this state need to see him stay here and then go on to the NBA and be successful.

It is awfully frustrating that Monk is heavily considering going to Kentucky, when the top 10 money earners in the NBA went to Davidson, Oklahoma, etc and other non-powerhouse schools. This concept seems lost on kids and it is sad. At the end of the day, it's his talent and his choice to make, but surely he can learn from Marcus what advantages staying home will provide in your future?

Where do you get your stats... I want give you the answer but go back and find out where the highest paid player went to college... If you need a hint think Fear the Brow.
SEC!

mizzouman

Quote from: hoglady on July 13, 2015, 08:05:43 am
The culture we've created with these high school athletes and their lists / and their
announcements to make an announcement / is enough to make you want to  :puke:
Just quietly take your allowed visits and when you make a decision say where you're going to school.
I agree.  But, if this article was more in favor of the Hogs, everyone would want to know more. 

RacinRazorback

I want to see Monk here as bad as the next person but only if he wants to be a Razorback. I hate to see him go to the NBA "D" league, Caliparis Cats. Obviously Monk is a one and done with no interest in being a "student athlete", which is fine. Maybe he would be better off in Cals "D" league system. Shame on the NCAA for allowing College BBall to come to this.

mizzouman

Quote from: RacinRazorback on July 14, 2015, 08:00:10 am
I want to see Monk here as bad as the next person but only if he wants to be a Razorback. I hate to see him go to the NBA "D" league, Caliparis Cats. Obviously Monk is a one and done with no interest in being a "student athlete", which is fine. Maybe he would be better off in Cals "D" league system. Shame on the NCAA for allowing College BBall to come to this.
Not sure that he has NO interest in being a student athlete, but I do agree the one and done rule is ridiculous.

It allows for teams like Kentucky to reload each year and not given other teams to recruit.  Imagine if we had the baseball rule in that if you go to college, you are there for 3 years.  Kentucky cannot recruit like they do because they would have no room.  Cal would be stuck and he would actually have to do some coaching. 

However, if the baseball rule was put in place for basketball, I'm sure some kids would play one year, then go overseas for 2 years and we would be right back to where we are now.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 14, 2015, 09:56:47 am
....which only serves to inflame the problem.

I wonder if all of these questions about "pressure" to go to Arkansas isn't starting to tic the Monk family off, if so Malik may choose to go somewhere else just to prove a point.

If I felt like someone was trying to restrict my freedom to pick what was best for me because of their own selfish interests, I certainly wouldn't like it. I want Monk to come because I love cheering for Arkansas guys when we compete on the national stage. It makes it mean more, especially when its a kid like Malik, whose brother I started following in high school because of a Democrat article that talked about what a great kid he was and how he excelled in the classroom. It hit me hard when he hurt his knee. I felt he had what it took to make it in the NFL but he caught a bad break. I think I took it that way because of his local ties. I was really rooting for him when he attempted his comeback and was glad to see him come back and work with the bball team.

I felt a bit put off by the statement attributed to Marcus about how the Monk family doesn't owe Arkansas anything. But, it's true. I took it to mean that by Arkansas, he means the fans, the people and by extension, me. I have never done anything for that family except follow Marcus and admire his work from a distance. He will probably never know of the heartfelt sympathy I had for him and how I even hoped for his success as he attempted an improbable shot a pro basketball career.  Still, he is right, he doesn't owe me. I just hope he knows that because he was a Hog, I still cared about what happened to him before I ever knew he had a little brother. And to me, that's what staying in your home state is about. Not a debt, just the love.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

sowmonella

The truth is that he would be showcased more at Arkansas. More minutes, points and etc. At KY he would be one of 5-7 McD's AA on the team.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

mizzouman

Quote from: sowmonella on July 14, 2015, 10:30:36 am
The truth is that he would be showcased more at Arkansas. More minutes, points and etc. At KY he would be one of 5-7 McD's AA on the team.
But, if his goal is one and done, it doesn't matter.  Devin Booker didn't even start at Kent but still was a first rounder. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: mizzouman on July 14, 2015, 10:35:11 am
But, if his goal is one and done, it doesn't matter.  Devin Booker didn't even start at Kent but still was a first rounder. 

Well the Harrison Twins planned to be one and dones as well. However there stock dropped so much they had to come back.

UK hasn't been great for everyone

hoglady

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 14, 2015, 10:30:30 am
I wonder if all of these questions about "pressure" to go to Arkansas isn't starting to tic the Monk family off, if so Malik may choose to go somewhere else just to prove a point.

If I felt like someone was trying to restrict my freedom to pick what was best for me because of their own selfish interests, I certainly wouldn't like it. I want Monk to come because I love cheering for Arkansas guys when we compete on the national stage. It makes it mean more, especially when its a kid like Malik, whose brother I started following in high school because of a Democrat article that talked about what a great kid he was and how he excelled in the classroom. It hit me hard when he hurt his knee. I felt he had what it took to make it in the NFL but he caught a bad break. I think I took it that way because of his local ties. I was really rooting for him when he attempted his comeback and was glad to see him come back and work with the bball team.

I felt a bit put off by the statement attributed to Marcus about how the Monk family doesn't owe Arkansas anything. But, it's true. I took it to mean that by Arkansas, he means the fans, the people and by extension, me. I have never done anything for that family except follow Marcus and admire his work from a distance. He will probably never know of the heartfelt sympathy I had for him and how I even hoped for his success as he attempted an improbable shot a pro basketball career.  Still, he is right, he doesn't owe me. I just hope he knows that because he was a Hog, I still cared about what happened to him before I ever knew he had a little brother. And to me, that's what staying in your home state is about. Not a debt, just the love.

Marcus ain't no dumb, dumb.
He had to know when he decided to take such an active and visible role in Malik's recruitment those type questions would come.
If stuff like that makes them mad - then there are ways to keep a lower profile.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

jry04

The funny thing is, a lot of people are taking the Monk quote out of context. People act like he said that as a warning, out of the blue. The UK reporter said himself that fans shouldn't read into that meaning he is going to UK, because the UK reporter specifically asked how the Monk family is dealing with the pressure to stay home. Marcus responded about the only way he could...that fans need to respect Malik's decision regardless of the outcome.

People saw that quote and assumed he was warning Hog fans, or hinting that he is a UK lean. He was asked a question, and answered it.

A UK fan tweeted at that UK reporter asking if this means he is a UK lean. Here is his response:

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats  · Jul 12 
@mark_collier22 Not necessarily. I specifically asked about Ark fans and pressure Malik was feeling. Shows they're thinking about it though.

Was he supposed to say Arkansas fans shouldn't worry because he will be a hog? Or say "no comment"? I think his answer was the best way he could answer it on the spot.

clutch

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 14, 2015, 10:30:30 am

I think what Marcus means is that Malik in particular doesn't owe the UofA anything based on Marcus's past. Marcus is very grateful for Arkansas, the fans, and the time he spent there. He's made it very clear though that he doesn't want to pressure Malik into a decision based on his own past though. He's been through the whole process before so he knows better than most how important it is to make the decision that is best for you.

HOGINTENNESSEE

July 14, 2015, 02:04:06 pm #20 Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:23:24 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: clutch on July 14, 2015, 01:00:15 pm
I think what Marcus means is that Malik in particular doesn't owe the UofA anything based on Marcus's past. Marcus is very grateful for Arkansas, the fans, and the time he spent there. He's made it very clear though that he doesn't want to pressure Malik into a decision based on his own past though. He's been through the whole process before so he knows better than most how important it is to make the decision that is best for you.

I wasn't offended by the comment.

I took it as if Malik goes to Arkansas it's because he choose Arkansas for its Coaching Staff, our strong basketball history or its where he felt most at home. Not because he feels pressured to go there because Marcus did. Malik won't choose or not choose Arkansas because of Marcus's ties.

MountieDawg

Quote from: sowmonella on July 14, 2015, 10:30:36 am

Portis did win SEC POTY but Townes and WCS were talked about more in the national media. What the Razorbacks have to prove to get top talent is that you will get to the Elite 8 and beyond often... UK has been able to do that.
SEC!

Breems

It shouldn't be the journalism Hogville should be overreacting to; recruiting journalism is a copy and paste system with around 10 pre-determined questions and answers.

The only thing to overreact to here is the lack of an early commitment. We obviously aren't the favorite, so now the hometown appeal has to beat out the allure of the power schools. We have no way of knowing if we are seriously being considered or if he's just hold off on a doomsday commit to survive his senior season.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Breems on July 14, 2015, 05:34:21 pm
The only thing to overreact to here is the lack of an early commitment. We obviously aren't the favorite, so now the hometown appeal has to beat out the allure of the power schools. We have no way of knowing if we are seriously being considered or if he's just hold off on a doomsday commit to survive his senior season.

If history tells us much, when a player becomes this high profile they usually migrate to the belief they are bigger (and possibly better) than Arkansas and see the bright lights of (fill in the blank school who will guarantee their #1 NBA pick the next year) in their future.

It's not too hard to understand in this day and age, where these top kids are constantly bombarded with adulation and are basically worshiped.  It takes a very, very special kid to not let that go to his head.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

intelligence

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 15, 2015, 09:47:07 am
If history tells us much, when a player becomes this high profile they usually migrate to the belief they are bigger (and possibly better) than Arkansas and see the bright lights of (fill in the blank school who will guarantee their #1 NBA pick the next year) in their future.

It's not too hard to understand in this day and age, where these top kids are constantly bombarded with adulation and are basically worshiped.  It takes a very, very special kid to not let that go to his head.

Like Bobby Portis?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: intelligence on July 15, 2015, 09:48:18 am
Like Bobby Portis?

You know as well as I do that Bobby was not a top 10 or top 5 type of recruit out of high school.

And, yes, that makes a difference.  You should know that without me telling you.

(I apologize for responding.  I didn't notice until after I posted that I wasted that on you.)
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

intelligence

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 15, 2015, 09:50:07 am
You know as well as I do that Bobby was not a top 10 or top 5 type of recruit out of high school.

And, yes, that makes a difference.  You should know that without me telling you.

(I apologize for responding.  I didn't notice until after I posted that I wasted that on you.)
he was like what, 15 or so?

MikePiazza

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: intelligence on July 15, 2015, 10:03:12 am
he was like what, 15 or so?

OK.  By my math, that not top 5.  But I just have a minor in math with my B.S. in Chemistry, so I may not be seeing that the way you are.

intelligence

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 15, 2015, 10:31:30 am
OK.  By my math, that not top 5.  But I just have a minor in math with my B.S. in Chemistry, so I may not be seeing that the way you are.

I never took your argument at face value. i'd say the difference in mindstate between top 5 and top 15 is pretty negligible. Degree's are irrelevant to logic.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: intelligence on July 15, 2015, 10:49:10 am
I never took your argument at face value. i'd say the difference in mindstate between top 5 and top 15 is pretty negligible. Degree's are irrelevant to logic.

The mind of a 17 or 18 year old male is NOT about logic, I promise you.

And, sure, there's a difference to your mindset if you're a top 5 kid, versus if you're not a top 5 kid.  There's a lot more attention paid to these top kids.

But, again, why am I replying?  Sometimes I can't help join a fool in his folly.

intelligence

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 15, 2015, 11:48:08 am
The mind of a 17 or 18 year old male is NOT about logic, I promise you.

And, sure, there's a difference to your mindset if you're a top 5 kid, versus if you're not a top 5 kid.  There's a lot more attention paid to these top kids.

But, again, why am I replying?  Sometimes I can't help join a fool in his folly.

Arrogance and stupidity go hand in hand. Yet you ask why

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: intelligence on July 15, 2015, 11:51:56 am
Arrogance and stupidity go hand in hand. Yet you ask why

My question was rhetorical, as I answered it immediately.

That's a subtlety of communication you may have not caught up with yet.

intelligence

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 15, 2015, 11:56:42 am
My question was rhetorical, as I answered it immediately.

That's a subtlety of communication you may have not caught up with yet.

Are you sure about that?

Hogberry Snortcake

So Monk's winnowing his list down then?  Got it. 

Cresthog

He gone. Just not feeling it at all.

I'm with Porked Tongue. It sucks but we'll be alright. Not great but alright.

jry04

Quote from: Cresthog on July 15, 2015, 03:08:25 pm

Where did he say he was gone?

WilsonHog

Quote from: Cresthog on July 15, 2015, 03:08:25 pm

I'm not ready to concede it, but I don't see him signing with us. If he does, great. If he doesn't, I wish him well wherever he does go.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 15, 2015, 03:39:09 pm
I'm not ready to concede it, but I don't see him signing with us. If he does, great. If he doesn't, I wish him well wherever he does go.

Somebody made the point in a similar thread a couple of months ago that it really doesn't make all that much difference. 

He's a one and done guy, so we would miss him for a year.  When was the last time a guard lead a team to a huge year as a freshman?  Magic Johnson comes to mind, but I don't think that's something that would happen with Monk.

Now, if he decided to stay two years, then you could probably make hay that second year.  I just doubt he'll be around two years in college.

Hawg Red

He doesn't have to lead us to a National Championship to make a tremendous impact in just one year. The effects of signing a player like that extend past just the time they're their.

He may not be good enough in one year to lead the Hogs all the way, but he might be good enough to put us in the Sweet 16.

I don't get the dismissal of his importance because he's likely a one year player. Won't be catastrophic by any means if we don't get him, but make no mistake, he will make a sizable impact in just one year on numerous fronts.

Hawg Red

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 15, 2015, 03:55:25 pm
Somebody made the point in a similar thread a couple of months ago that it really doesn't make all that much difference. 

He's a one and done guy, so we would miss him for a year.  When was the last time a guard lead a team to a huge year as a freshman?  Magic Johnson comes to mind, but I don't think that's something that would happen with Monk.

Now, if he decided to stay two years, then you could probably make hay that second year.  I just doubt he'll be around two years in college.

Derrick Rose led Memphis to a pretty big year not too long ago.

hoglady

Signing Monk could impact recruiting for years to come.
If he comes here, maybe he influences other really talented players to come.
If he comes here, does well, we do well and he's a Lottery pick - that can impact multiple years of recruiting.

Danny J

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 15, 2015, 03:39:09 pm
I agree with all except the last part. I will treat him the same way I do Archie and KA. Obviously don't want to see anything bad happen but simply can't pull for a guy who snubs Arkansas for UK and yes...UK is where he will end up if Cal is still there. He will just be another in a long line of one and dones at UK. Just a statistic. Oh well.....

intelligence

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 15, 2015, 03:55:25 pm
When was the last time a guard lead a team to a huge year as a freshman?
You'd have to define what a `huge year` is, but John Wall's freshman season was hard to top.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 15, 2015, 04:05:51 pm
Quote from: intelligence on July 15, 2015, 11:57:50 pm
You'd have to define what a `huge year` is, but John Wall's freshman season was hard to top.

Point guards?

WarPig88

Rose wasn't the leader on that team. That was a team of veterans that added Rose. I forget the name of the guy, but their leading scorer was not Rose.

John Wall played with a bunch of first rounders. He probably wasn't even the best player on that team. I always thought Curry was the guy that made that team really go with his interior d and rebounding.

MikePiazza

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 16, 2015, 10:04:11 am
Rose wasn't the leader on that team. That was a team of veterans that added Rose. I forget the name of the guy, but their leading scorer was not Rose.

John Wall played with a bunch of first rounders. He probably wasn't even the best player on that team. I always thought Curry was the guy that made that team really go with his interior d and rebounding.

Chris Douglas-Roberts?
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Hogimus Prime

Rose's teammate was Chris Douglas Roberts.  Memphis had a frontcourt that was either Jrs or Srs and had good experienced depth on the perimeter also.

Hawg Red

Do they reach the NC game without Rose? He was the talent that catapulted them to that level. Malik would have seniors in Moses Kingsley, Manny Watkins and Dusty Hannahs, and juniors in Daryl Macon, Dustin Thomas, Anton Beard, and Trey Thompson. That's without mentioning what could be two stud sophomores in Jimmy Whitt and Ted Kapita.

If Thompson can play is his way into being a rotation player, and Kapita makes it to enrollment and is healthy by his sophomore year, I think that's a good enough supporting cast for a player like Malik Monk to take to the Sweet 16, maybe Elite 8. I think we'd all take that for a year. Still a good team without him, but what we'd be missing out on in that one year is obvious. That's my point. Seems a lot of people are taking a "Whatever. It's just one year" approach to missing on Monk. That's just as bad as acting like we're doomed if we don't get him.

bigdaddyhawg

Very good point.  I knew I was going to forget someone, so I appreciate you adding that.