Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Memphis Recruiting

Started by kaki, July 09, 2015, 02:44:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kaki

If there was ever a better time for the Hoop Hogs to get back into Memphis as a recruiting strategy, it would seem to be now.  Coach P is heading off in a dangerous direction by not allowing the Nichols kid to transfer.  As much as I respect Coach Anderson as a man, I am not overly confident that he and his staff can make this happen.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: kaki on July 09, 2015, 02:44:40 pm
If there was ever a better time for the Hoop Hogs to get back into Memphis as a recruiting strategy, it would seem to be now.  Coach P is heading off in a dangerous direction by not allowing the Nichols kid to transfer.  As much as I respect Coach Anderson as a man, I am not overly confident that he and his staff can make this happen.

yesh, one should never be overly confident about anything. that's a good approach.

Nichols kid got his transfer. So, there's that. Pastner still sucks though. Seven players gone in the past year says that something stinks over there.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Is it better if he keeps this job?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 09, 2015, 06:01:02 pm
Is it better if he keeps this job?

Definitely, don't want a competent coach over there capitalizing on all that home grown talent. They should have been a superpower in basketball by now.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

mhuff

Ok so how many are we on?

pigture perfect

I would love to get those Memphis kids moving west again.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hawgfan4life

For whatever reasons, the city of Memphis has a disdain for Arkansas.  That and every other major program goes after the Memphis kids makes turning Memphis into a recruiting ground a hurdle.  I am not worried about Memphis pipeline but would really like for us to be able to land a quality player that is a major contributor once every two to three years that will at least keep our name in the spotlight there with recruits.  Have to agree that now is a good time for us to go into Memphis but I am certain there are a dozen other schools regionally similar that are thinking the same thing.  Pretty much every SEC West team, some of the East, and Louisville to name a few.  I don't  know that it will be any easier taking the recruits from everyone else even if it is easier getting them away from the Tigers.

intelligence

Calipari owns Memphis recruiting. We'll only get his scraps.

jackflash

To get into Memphis I think you have to hire someone from there

hawgfan4life

My impression for Memphis has been for many years; money talks.  Seems like Nolan and now Mike Anderson refuse to partner with handlers, coaches, uncles overseeing recruiting, etc.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawgfan4life on July 11, 2015, 06:54:09 pm
My impression for Memphis has been for many years; money talks.  Seems like Nolan and now Mike Anderson refuse to partner with handlers, coaches, uncles overseeing recruiting, etc.

That's how their government works and it filters down from there to every part of memphis life.  Unfortunately it probably gets all the way to high school and collegiate athletics

nwahogfan1

I would drether us to get into Houston and Dallas.  Memphis has too many issues to me.  Mike is trying to stay in contact with the coaches in Birmingham and other Alabama cities because of his back ground.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: jackflash on July 11, 2015, 01:45:48 am
To get into Memphis I think you have to hire someone from there

Yep, I just wish we had a former great player from there that is currently a HS Basketball Head Coach and AAU coach  ;)

jackflash

Question when Nolan was getting players from Memphis, Who was recruiting Memphis for the Razorbacks?

Wisco Pig

Quote from: jackflash on July 12, 2015, 02:10:51 pm
Question:  When Nolan was getting players from Memphis, who was recruiting Memphis for the Razorbacks?

Wasn't it Scott Edgar?

jackflash

It could have Scott. Whoever it was got the job done.

PonderinHog

Quote from: jackflash on July 12, 2015, 04:59:36 pm
It could have Scott. Whoever it was got the job done.
He's at Eastern Oklahoma State College now.

Rocket23

Scott Edgar.  He basically resided in Memphis so to speak.  He scoured the playgrounds and worked the high schools and summer basketball coaching network.

Ron Huery said Edgar would be everywhere.  "He'd be at my school, home visit , or I'd be playing pickup at the park, look up and damn, Scott Edgar would be there just watching and give me a wave."

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Rocket23 on July 13, 2015, 11:42:48 am
Scott Edgar.  He basically resided in Memphis so to speak.  He scoured the playgrounds and worked the high schools and summer basketball coaching network.

Ron Huery said Edgar would be everywhere.  "He'd be at my school, home visit , or I'd be playing pickup at the park, look up and damn, Scott Edgar would be there just watching and give me a wave."

From what I have read, Edgar would spend 1 night a week every week in Memphis.  When Edgar left to coach elsewhere, our Memphis recruiting basically dried up.

The interesting aspect about Memphis is that there always seems to be 2-3 top level High School players there, but the rest of the players need some sort of basketball development.

TrueBlue

Keep it classy Memphis High. Who would want to go there now?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25241926/schools-would-be-wise-to-learn-from-this-messy-nichols-memphis-divorce

"The restrictions are nothing more than a calculated effort to punish Austin's family for his desire to transfer. ... This is a calculated effort by a dysfunctional staff to punish a player for taking a step to remove himself from a failing program."

Anyone have Todd Day's phone #?