Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now we can tell who REALLY is the fastest player on the field

Started by WizardofhOgZ, March 08, 2018, 01:47:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Can there be any doubt that this technology will soon be used by college teams around the country?  Then, the old "football speed vs. track speed" debate can be answered once and for all.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2018/01/nfl-fastest-player-sportsradar-leonard-fournette

Oh, how I'd love to have had this technology give DMac's speed on this run:

jgphillips3

I have always thought we should put full pads on the players and make them run on grass and see what their times are.  Some guys are fast in track clothes and some guys are fast even with the extra weight and people in front of them.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bigred223

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Vantage 8 dude

DMc truly played at a totally different level than did other human beings. Not only was he fast and strong but he had incredible instincts and vision. He made virtually EVERY opponent, both inside the SEC and out, look like they were running in place. Not only did he rip UGa apart in this video, but I suspect that folks such as USCe, UT, and LSU are STILL having nightmares over massive games he had against them. He truly was a once in a life time player. 

redhogchilipepper

Love it but did you notice Nutt acting like well enough said

liljo

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 08, 2018, 01:47:38 pm
Can there be any doubt that this technology will soon be used by college teams around the country?  Then, the old "football speed vs. track speed" debate can be answered once and for all.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2018/01/nfl-fastest-player-sportsradar-leonard-fournette

He was absolutely electrifying.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

#1 STUNNA

I would never bet money on anyone in the NFL over Hill right now..

Grumpypenguin

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 08, 2018, 03:43:15 pm
DMc truly played at a totally different level than did other human beings. Not only was he fast and strong but he had incredible instincts and vision. He made virtually EVERY opponent, both inside the SEC and out, look like they were running in place. Not only did he rip UGa apart in this video, but I suspect that folks such as USCe, UT, and LSU are STILL having nightmares over massive games he had against them. He truly was a once in a life time player.

Dmac had terrible vision, it was literally his main weakness in the NFL

bvillepig

I loved the play against Ole Miss when the dback had Dmac hemmed on the sideline. He spun around 360 degrees to avoid a block and DMac was already past him .  Gone!!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on March 08, 2018, 05:43:54 pm

It could also be argued that his main weakness was being drafted by Oakland.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

liljo

Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Jek Tono Porkins

This is one of my favorites. The look on Cory Boyd's face at the end is priceless:
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

From Tusk Till Dawn

Great post, technology is changing everything.  I could imagine a day when a portion of the screen is designated to cool stats like this.  Imagine a breakaway run like Dmac's and in the corner of the screen they have his nbr and speed (in real time) and his pursuers as well. 

TomasPistola

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 08, 2018, 06:06:44 pm
It could also be argued that his main weakness was being drafted by Oakland.

This.

Hard to see a hole when there isn't one.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

thebignasty

That's the run where I knew he was going to be a big time college football player.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Pig in the Pokey

i feel very blessed to know that man; thats my dude right there. DDawg is the all time GOAT.

He had another run in that georgia game where he stiff armed a dude so hard , ive still never seen a better stiff arm out of a Hog player than that.

When he was a freshman he was on keith kidd's cleaning crew as a summer job and we used to kick it hard. I used to tell him he'd win the Heisman and he'd just laugh at me. He got 2nd twice and we all know he should have won it.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

sowmonella

The radio call by Georgia's Larry Munson on this play is a classic.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

RedBird5

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on March 08, 2018, 05:43:54 pm

Please go look up the definition of the word literal.  Of all the variables in every play, let alone game, THAT was his "main weakness"?  Not being on a bad team with no line, or injuries, scheme etc?  Go take a look at Todd Gurley tape from last year and the year before. The big differences were scheme and blocking. You could watch his '16 tape and say he had bad vision but that's not the issue.  He didn't just go from good as a rookie to bad to good again.   

HogFoo

https://youtu.be/2JOefOOWtis

this was one of my fav runs of DMac's.   Those CBs for lsu ran laser 4.33!  And DMac got separation on those guys.  He was just a stud.  I was at that game, and really thought we'd mount a comeback and win.  but ,  well everyone knows what happened..    soooo much talent wasted under Nuttsack!  what a travesty!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

HogFoo

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 08, 2018, 10:52:59 pm
i feel very blessed to know that man; thats my dude right there. DDawg is the all time GOAT.

He had another run in that georgia game where he stiff armed a dude so hard , ive still never seen a better stiff arm out of a Hog player than that.

When he was a freshman he was on keith kidd's cleaning crew as a summer job and we used to kick it hard. I used to tell him he'd win the Heisman and he'd just laugh at me. He got 2nd twice and we all know he should have won it.
DMAC stiff arm was a weapon!  I don't know if I ever saw another RB use the stiff arm the way DMac used it.  It was like a boxer throwing a jab in the other guys face!

As for the guy in a post saying that DMac had a weakness in the NFL.   Dmac's only weakness was that he got used up while playing for the raiders.  The raiders had the either worst OLine in NFL or ranked in the bottom 3 the entire time DMac was there and before he got there.  It was the absolute worst his entire career there.  Conversely, a player like A.Peterson who played for the Vikings, his OLines were not worse than the top 3 during the same time period.  I really wish that DMac could have gotten out of his contract the 1st op he had.  but for whatever reason, he stayed loyal and signed another 3yrs before going to the cowboys.  At that time, he was practically all used up.  He did manage to have 1 more great year with the cowboys. but too late in his career to really get something going.  what could have been though if he went to the right team.     

I remember hearing a story from a DL guy on the ravens. It was Ngata I think, I saw the video, he's a big ole samoan looking dude about 6'3 350lbs and Dmac hits him soo hard that it flattens him and he had to take himself off the field to the sideline.  later he said that that was the hardest that he'd ever been hit in the NFL.  Many opposing Dfensive players would say the same thing.  Dmac always liked flattening guys instead of just running around them.  If he did indeed have a weakness.  That was it.  Doing that takes too much of a toll on your body.  All the collisions.  anyways.  he was great.  Will always be my fav. Hog!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

JoeyJackMcKaskell

So DMAC was pushing hard for Norvelle.  Now we know. I kid. I kid.

He is a first class dude.  Loves the hogs as much as we love him.

Grumpypenguin

Quote from: RedBird5 on March 08, 2018, 11:26:47 pm

Please go look up the definition of the word literal.  Of all the variables in every play, let alone game, THAT was his "main weakness"?  Not being on a bad team with no line, or injuries, scheme etc?  Go take a look at Todd Gurley tape from last year and the year before. The big differences were scheme and blocking. You could watch his '16 tape and say he had bad vision but that's not the issue.  He didn't just go from good as a rookie to bad to good again.

How is being on a team with "no line" or a "Bad scheme" a personal weakness? Like honestly, not sure if you're dumb or just trolling. Anyone that ever watched Dmac play in the NFL would know that half the time he would carry the ball he would right into the backs of his oline. I get he's an all time great here but Frank yall like act like was some god given running back with no problems with his game

Franchise_Hog

Quote from: liljo on March 08, 2018, 06:16:52 pm
...what?

Do tell...

I tend to agree with him.  Most people equate vision with lateral movement.  DMAC didn't have it in the hips, but his speed and power made up for it.  Guys like Felix Jones and Alex Collins have better "vision."

Paul

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on March 08, 2018, 07:18:40 pm
This is one of my favorites. The look on Cory Boyd's face at the end is priceless:

How about the look on lip smacking, no voting Spurrier/

mckinneyhog5

When talking about recruiting, instead of saying Jimmy and Joe's, they need to say Darren's and Joe's.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

GoHogzzGo

Wow that's fast. Pretty sure I would die if Fournette hit me going 22 mph.

Very excited to see more of this type of data coming out of the NFL similar to the NBA's use of SportTracs or whatever it is called now.

Surprised he was #1, given his weight, incredible. Figured it would be Hill who wasn't too far behind.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Corkscrew Johnson

Clearly the biggest takeaway from those videos.....our uniforms looked great!

mevskithog

I've watched that game vs South Carolina a few times.. Felix was on fire that night too.

liljo

Quote from: Franchise_Hog on March 09, 2018, 09:42:26 am
I tend to agree with him.  Most people equate vision with lateral movement.  DMAC didn't have it in the hips, but his speed and power made up for it.  Guys like Felix Jones and Alex Collins have better "vision."

No. Most people equate vision with eyesight. The ability to see holes open, visually detect pursuit, and do so while moving. Center fielders racing for liners hit in the gap can keep laser focus on the little white ball and judge its flight while racing for it. Vision is, well, visual. You van have great vision but lack the athleticism to utilize it.

DMac certainly wasn't lacking in athleticism.

AirWarren

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on March 09, 2018, 12:29:41 pm

Sure enough.

Man that's some speed we haven't seen in a LONG time.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HogFoo on March 09, 2018, 01:17:52 am

https://youtu.be/2JOefOOWtis

this was one of my fav runs of DMac's.   Those CBs for lsu ran laser 4.33!  And DMac got separation on those guys.  He was just a stud.  I was at that game, and really thought we'd mount a comeback and win.  but ,  well everyone knows what happened..    soooo much talent wasted under Nuttsack!  what a travesty!
I well remember that game. As I sat in the stands that day I remember thinking "My gosh, this guy is basically carrying the whole team on his shoulders. He's the real reason we're staying in this game and still have a shot at pulling it out". Of course we didn't; however, to this day I still believe it was more a situation of merely running out of time before DMc put up at least another score or two on the Tigers. Not to beat a dead horse; however, how anyone can justify not giving the Heisman to Darren while he was on the Hill is totally beyond me >:( :o

bennyl08

Quote from: liljo on March 09, 2018, 01:29:36 pm
No. Most people equate vision with eyesight. The ability to see holes open, visually detect pursuit, and do so while moving. Center fielders racing for liners hit in the gap can keep laser focus on the little white ball and judge its flight while racing for it. Vision is, well, visual. You van have great vision but lack the athleticism to utilize it.

DMac certainly wasn't lacking in athleticism.

Words have different meaning depending on the context. An explosive athlete isn't one that you have to mop up off the field for example.

With a RB, vision is as you described in the middle of the post. The ability to read the blocking, see a hole open up, and adjust yourself to be able to hit that hole. It isn't asking whether or not the runner needs glasses...

The term is nearly synonymous with being a patient runner, which McFadden was not. McFadden is going to "explode" forward as quickly as he can. In contrast to a Felix or Alex Collins who would allow the OL some time to set up their blocks, allowing the runner to cut back across the LoS if that's where the best hole opened. You lose the opportunity to do that when you go full tilt as soon as you can.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on March 09, 2018, 12:29:41 pm
Clearly... Without exception the ONE and ONLY uniform that EVERYBODY can agree on. You can change colors, finishes etc... But those two lines down the pant, Arkansas on the chest and a hog on the helmet are what we all want. We'll never see those pants again though...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Silver Hog

TNRazorbacker

**sigh**

Malvin

Just to note, every NFL team has this technology now and they are starting to install it at college stadiums.. for college obviously cost is a big factor because there are so many stadiums etc.

What's interesting though is that not only are they measuring speed but they can measure speed over time meaning, how fast are they running the first 10 yards, how fast the second 10 yards.. what is there top end spend.. after running 40 yards are they able to maintain that speed etc.  The analytics that are being used today are quite mind blowing and the NFL wants this technology at the college level for obvious reasons.

This also is being used in route running and route accuracy.. if the player is supposed to run 10 yards and cut.. are they running an exact route and breaking at the 10 yard mark.. or are they only running 9 yards.  :)

bennyl08

Quote from: Malvin on March 14, 2018, 10:17:25 am
Just to note, every NFL team has this technology now and they are starting to install it at college stadiums.. for college obviously cost is a big factor because there are so many stadiums etc.

What's interesting though is that not only are they measuring speed but they can measure speed over time meaning, how fast are they running the first 10 yards, how fast the second 10 yards.. what is there top end spend.. after running 40 yards are they able to maintain that speed etc.  The analytics that are being used today are quite mind blowing and the NFL wants this technology at the college level for obvious reasons.

This also is being used in route running and route accuracy.. if the player is supposed to run 10 yards and cut.. are they running an exact route and breaking at the 10 yard mark.. or are they only running 9 yards.  :)

Threw me off when you said "speed over time". Figured you were talking about acceleration rather than the speed over a given time period.

I wonder instantaneous of a speed that it can give?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HogFoo on March 09, 2018, 01:26:26 am
DMAC stiff arm was a weapon!  I don't know if I ever saw another RB use the stiff arm the way DMac used it.  It was like a boxer throwing a jab in the other guys face!

As for the guy in a post saying that DMac had a weakness in the NFL.   Dmac's only weakness was that he got used up while playing for the raiders.  The raiders had the either worst OLine in NFL or ranked in the bottom 3 the entire time DMac was there and before he got there.  It was the absolute worst his entire career there.  Conversely, a player like A.Peterson who played for the Vikings, his OLines were not worse than the top 3 during the same time period.  I really wish that DMac could have gotten out of his contract the 1st op he had.  but for whatever reason, he stayed loyal and signed another 3yrs before going to the cowboys.  At that time, he was practically all used up.  He did manage to have 1 more great year with the cowboys. but too late in his career to really get something going.  what could have been though if he went to the right team.     

I remember hearing a story from a DL guy on the ravens. It was Ngata I think, I saw the video, he's a big ole samoan looking dude about 6'3 350lbs and Dmac hits him soo hard that it flattens him and he had to take himself off the field to the sideline.  later he said that that was the hardest that he'd ever been hit in the NFL.  Many opposing Dfensive players would say the same thing.  Dmac always liked flattening guys instead of just running around them.  If he did indeed have a weakness.  That was it.  Doing that takes too much of a toll on your body.  All the collisions.  anyways.  he was great.  Will always be my fav. Hog!
yessiree bob

Quote from: Silver Hog on March 13, 2018, 08:06:38 pm
i love this call of the DMAC run the best.

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

StuartDavin

That Joe Adams 92 yard TD run against Auburn is the one play that still comes to mind when I think of the fastest Razorback in recent history.

Malvin

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 14, 2018, 12:52:04 pm
Threw me off when you said "speed over time". Figured you were talking about acceleration rather than the speed over a given time period.

I wonder instantaneous of a speed that it can give?

Maybe velocity at any given point of the run is more accurate.  So if a player has a 80 yard run.. what speed are they running the first 10 yards (acceleration/burst), the next 10 yards (top end spend), the next 30 yards (maintaining that speed), the last 30 yards (are they slowing down.. get caught from behind).

They are measuring force of impact, when 2 players collide how fast were both players going.. at what angle were they coming at each other.. all that data is being collected.  They even have the same chip in the footballs so that they can measure ball velocity, accuracy etc.

The technology is called active RFID, if you ever go to a NFL game and are in the nose bleed seats.. look around the top of the stadium and you will see the active arrays that are constantly pinging the entire field of play.  Imagine constant non stop data for each player/chip that is being collected every single second during the game.  It's a lot of data, but they can deliver information in real time to the field if the NFL would allow it.  I think right now they can only use it for analytics after the game is over.. but it's only a matter of time before they incorporate more technology on the side line. 

IronHog

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on March 09, 2018, 09:21:52 am
How is being on a team with "no line" or a "Bad scheme" a personal weakness? Like honestly, not sure if you're dumb or just trolling. Anyone that ever watched Dmac play in the NFL would know that half the time he would carry the ball he would right into the backs of his oline. I get he's an all time great here but Frank yall like act like was some god given running back with no problems with his game

1.  Oakland tried to run a zone blocking scheme with McFadden several years.  Dumb.

2.  McFadden wasn't a RB as much as a football player.....they should have put him all over the field more.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Laughing Hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 08, 2018, 03:14:30 pm
DMAC blew the GA D up on that run.
I was at that game and it was my first time to see him in person. I was sitting on the 50 on the Hogs side and as soon as he hit the hole I could tell he was going to smoke'm. My GA buddy that I went with couldn't believe his eyes.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

AlmaHog2011

I'm old DMac is the goat. Not close. And I have seen almost all the greats. Man was he fun to watch he was a monster and he competed. Damn sure earned the Heisman.