Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Outdated offensive philosophy

Started by GunnerHawg70, November 07, 2017, 12:40:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GunnerHawg70

It's known you play to your strengths but maybe CBB should abandon the "3yds and a cloud of dust" philosophy. Many teams on every level are running a Spread/RPO type offense these days. Do y'all think the disconnect is different styles between CBB and CDE is a problem or just not the right players to run an uptempo offense???

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/sports/wp/2017/09/21/its-two-different-games-why-college-football-is-more-fun-than-the-nfl/

hoghearted

It's not necessarily the scheme, or the roster. It's a failure of coaching. Players are not getting better, no adjustments during the game, and no mental toughness in this team. They are mentally weak.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

311Hog

offense isn't great but that really isn't the problem.  our defense can't stop anyone.

It is like we play in the prevent defense for the entire game....

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: 311Hog on November 07, 2017, 12:55:41 pm
offense isn't great but that really isn't the problem.  our defense can't stop anyone.

Yup...That's a whole other ball of wax I'm sure we would all like answers for...

popcornhog

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on November 07, 2017, 12:40:03 pm
It's known you play to your strengths but maybe CBB should abandon the "3yds and a cloud of dust" philosophy. Many teams on every level are running a Spread/RPO type offense these days. Do y'all think the disconnect is different styles between CBB and CDE is a problem or just not the right players to run an uptempo offense???

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/sports/wp/2017/09/21/its-two-different-games-why-college-football-is-more-fun-than-the-nfl/

Bielema's style of play is not the problem. It's his recruiting and game management and player development.
WPS

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

3 - 4 - 4 with little to no blitzing and defenders 5 - 10 yards off the receiver. Yeah that sounds like prevent to me
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 07, 2017, 01:01:47 pm
3 - 4 - 4 with little to no blitzing and defenders 5 - 10 yards off the receiver. Yeah that sounds like prevent to me
Yah - that defensive scheme is supposed to prevent deep plays plays, keep WR's in front of you, provide over the top help, prevent CB's from being on an island and getting torched...well we've seen the results of that... :puke:

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hoghearted on November 07, 2017, 12:54:14 pm
It's not necessarily the scheme, or the roster. It's a failure of coaching. Players are not getting better, no adjustments during the game, and no mental toughness in this team. They are mentally weak.
Bingo. We have too many good players on the bench that have gotten worse. McTelvin Agim was a 5* with offers to bama. When he finally got on the field last year we could see his potential and talked about how good he would be this year, but he actually seems to have gotten worse. Bijhon Jackson was ranked in the top 5 nationally at his position and ws even offered by bama. He too played in his freshmen season and looked to have a bright future, no improvement. Remember when dre greenlaw led the SEC in tackles? What happened to that? Just a season ago many were talking about getting devwah whaley more snaps because he was so explosive. Now he looks like he has lost a step. We said the same thing about Alex Collins in his 2nd year here. I watched him playing in the NFL a few days ago and he was so explosive coming out of the backfield. He looked faster than he ever was here. When you see that taking place, you have to question the staffs ability to develop
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hogsanity

But the defense will be fixed by hiring a spread offense coach, lol.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ballz2thewall

Quote from: popcornhog on November 07, 2017, 01:00:28 pm
Bielema's style of play is not the problem. It's his recruiting and game management and player development.

very good point.

i think his style leaves less margin for error, but you are correct. we are a terribly coached team as opposed to a terribly schemed team.
The rest of the frog.

Al Boarland

I wouldn't worry about the D. As soon as we switch to the 3-4 we are going to play much more aggressively. No more read and react. Rhodes will have the defense playing with their hair on fire and our personnel is much more suited for the 3-4.

Marshfieldhog

Actually the Offense has not been that great when we play good teams. See TCU/Bama/Auburn/South Carolina. We did play well after 2 weeks off against A $ M.

Bacons Rebellion

He doesn't have a 3 yards and a cloud of dust philosophy. We've been a run enough to pass team more often than a running team.

Our problem is defense, as most here have pointed out.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on November 07, 2017, 01:39:12 pm
He doesn't have a 3 yards and a cloud of dust philosophy. We've been a run enough to pass team more often than a running team.

Our problem is defense, as most here have pointed out.

Actually only a few here will actually talk about defense at all, and just about every one of them is in this thread already. The vast majority think the cure for all the ills is a spread offense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

King Kong

Our defense style is what doesn't work. Our offense style is probably one is more games that if should have.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: popcornhog on November 07, 2017, 01:00:28 pm

This^^^^^^^^
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.