Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

South Carolina Football Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, February 04, 2016, 01:06:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/sportstalksc/status/818315894296289280

QuoteSC is taking a look at former North Carolina cornerback Mike Hughes who was a standout at Garden City JC, KS this past season.  "Yes sir they have been recruiting me pretty hard," Hughes confirmed over the weekend.  He did not say if he will take an official visit to USC.  He has taken officials to East Carolina and TCU.

Hughes is a native of New Bern, NC.  He played in 12 games as a true freshman at UNC in 2015.  He was suspended for one game after his arrest for a count of misdemeanor assault inflicting serious injury after an incident at a UNC fraternity house in October of 2015.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/sportstalksc/status/826815539104342017

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 9m9 minutes ago

#STRecruiting:  DE Aaron Sterling signs with USC

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 48m48 minutes ago

#STRecruiting:  DE Brad Johnson signs with USC

jbcarol

Jim Harris

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

jbcarol

jbcarol

DeltaBoy

Will showing even a Chimp can recruit but can he build a winner at USC east like the old Ball Coach did.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/836263592064339969

Quote6-foot-2, 172-pound Darius Rush from C.E. Murray High School in Greeleyville, S.C. is the No. 19-rated prospect in the state for the 2018.

Brian Smith, Rush's former high school coach: "He's a straight-A student, National Honor Society kid. He is what he is. He's a great human being.

"It's pretty crazy. He's got size-17 feet. I'm expecting him to grow a couple of more inches taller and end up 6-4 or 6-5. If he does that, he'll probably play on the offensive side of the ball.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/846858069921423360

QuoteHank Manos, a 6-foot-4, 275-pound state champion wrestler from Chapin (S.C.) High reciprocated the Gamecocks interest and announced his commitment.

"I've kind of been thinking over the last couple of days, almost going on a week now. It almost started after I took that last trip up to USC. I'd realized that my three criteria for picking a school: education, proximity to home and coaching – I kind of realized that USC was the best option for me in all three of those aspects.

"I kind of let it sit for a day, to make sure I was 100 percent on that, then this morning, I went and talked with (Chapin) coach (Justin) Gentry, then I called coach (Will) Muschamp and coach Wolf after school today."

jbcarol

'18 .8644-rated Murfreesboro Siegel OT Maxwell Iyama gave a verbal to SC.

6'5", a Chick-fil-a biscuit shy of 300 on the day they took his measurements

jbcarol

'18 -3-star Ware County OLB Ernest Jones gave a verbal to the Gamecocks

jbcarol

'18 3-star Braden River back Deshaun Fenwick gave a verbal to SC.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/871171256472698880

QuoteRoderick, a 6-foot, 207-pound triple option QB from Cane Bay High committed to the Gamecocks over offers from Duke, Georgia Tech, North Carolina and State.

Gamecocks entered June with seven commitments in the 2018 class, three of whom are from in-state recruits: 3-star defensive end Tyreek Johnson, 3-star wide receiver Darius Rush and 3-star center Hank Manos.

Roderick is ranked as the No. 15 overall prospect in the state.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/874047593986359296

Quote3-star athlete Bryce Thompson, one of the top overall prospects from the state of South Carolina, announced on Twitter that he will de-commit from Virginia Tech.

North Carolina State, South Carolina and Washington State are among his other Power 5 offers.

Gamecocks coaches got another in-person look at Thompson last Wednesday when he attended the second session of the Will Muschamp Football Camp. He worked primarily at defensive back...

Thompson told SEC Country he's being recruited by South Carolina to play as a nickel back and/or safety.

"I want to make sure that my whole family [will] be at every home game, too. I keep that in mind," he said...

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/876568373064282112

QuoteFour-star quarterback Dakereon Joyner became the 10th commitment in the 2018 South Carolina recruiting class after making his announcement Sunday afternoon at Fort Dorchester High...

Silent Commit
The actual commitment, Joyner said, was made a couple of months ago, but he wanted to stick to his plan to announce it on Father's Day, to honor his late father, Damond Alton Joyner.

Now that the word's out, Joyner plans to get to work on the recruiting trail and help beef up the Gamecocks 2018 class.

Up first on the agenda is 5-star defensive end Xavier Thomas, who's committed to Clemson.

QB, not athlete
"[Joyner] doesn't do things normally," Coach LaPrad said. "His work-ethic, off-the-field, discipline, character, his ability, his speed, his arm-strength keeps getting better, better and better — it's just freakish.

"He just keeps getting better. Every day he gets better. It's scary."

Hard work, LaPrad added, "is not a problem for him."

"If he has to change this, change that, he can do it," LaPrad said. "A lot of people [say] he's an athlete, not a quarterback. Let me tell you something, there's no doubt he's a quarterback and he is a [darn] good athlete, but he is going to make [South Carolina] very, very happy and he's going to keep somebody their job."
QB, not athlete

As LaPrad noted, there are some folks who aren't sold on Joyner as a quarterback. That, Joyner said, serves as motivation "to the full extent, 100 percent."

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell 4m4 minutes ago

South Carolina recruiting: 2018 OL Jesus Gibbs commits  https://www.seccountry.com/south-carolina/south-carolina-recruiting-2018-ol-jesus-gibbs-commits

Will Muschamp say: Thank you Jesus

https://twitter.com/jeezusnextdoor/status/888821799299031040

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Gamecocks' their first commitment for 2019 

LB Ahdarrious Gee (6-1 190) of Cordele, GA committed to the Gamecocks at Spurs Up Cookout

QuoteGee said he also strongly considered Mississippi State and Vanderbilt but saw USC as his best opportunity.

"I chose the Gamecocks because I feel home here in South Carolina," Gee said.  "I like the education level and the type of defense they run.  They like the way I play the linebacker position and get to the ball."

Gee had 208 tackles and 2 sacks as a sophomore.  He also said part of the attraction the Gamecocks offered him is the chance to play for a defensive minded head coach in Will Muschamp and for defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson.

"They're two great coaches.  I can't wait to play for them," Gee said.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jim Harris

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

SportsTalk‏ @sportstalksc 19h19 hours ago

#STRecruiting:  WR Josh Vann of Tucker, GA committed to USC.

4-star is one of the top 20 players in the state of Georgia's '18 class

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

South Carolina recruiting: What Josh Vann's commitment means for the Gamecocks

QuoteSouth Carolina needed a commitment from 4-star wide receiver Josh Vann, to help appease the star counters.

More importantly, they went head-to-head with Georgia and won on an in-state guy who was truly coveted by the Dawgs. That's always a win, no matter how big-time the recruit may be, so Will Muschamp has bragging rights on his old buddy Kirby Smart...

jbcarol

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell 10h10 hours ago

South Carolina offers 2019 QB committed to Arkansas

jbcarol

Gamecocks offer third 2019 quarterback

QuoteSouth Carolina offered a third Class of 2019 quarterback, 4-star Sam Howell, who's ranked by the 247Sports composite as the No. 5 pro-style passer in the country.

Gamecocks 2019 quarterback offer list also includes 4-star Garrett Shrader (Charlotte, N.C.) and 3-star Ryan Hilinski (Orange, Calif.).

jbcarol

South Carolina commitment Wyatt Campbell announced on Wednesday night that he will not play in the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas

The 3-star offensive lineman from Lugoff-Elgin (S.C.) High School then told SEC Country that he has a "large tear" in his meniscus

Quote"I'm having surgery on my knee as soon as the season is over," Campbell said. "I have talked it over with my family and USC and we think that it is best that I not play in the shrine Bowl and go ahead and have surgery, [so] I will be back to full go when I enroll in January."

He added, "It's just I've had a torn meniscus for about three months now and my knee has had about all I can take any more."

Fellow Gamecock commitment Lavonte Valentine, a 3-star running back from Melbourne, Fla., recently underwent knee surgery.

jbcarol

jbcarol

What they're saying about the latest South Carolina recruiting win

QuoteWith the addition of 4-star cornerback Jaycee Horn, the South Carolina recruiting haul for 2018 has some serious momentum, before the early signing period.

The former Tennessee commitment is the No. 21 cornerback in the Class of 2018

jbcarol

GoGamecocks‏Verified account @gogamecocks
28m28 minutes ago

Muschamp: Gamecocks check right boxes with early signing class http://scne.ws/Q6xxgl 

Quote"Like I say every year, we will know about this class in two or three years, but as far as the critical factors that we look for at every position, we hit more and more of what we are looking for in our program," Muschamp said.

Wednesday was the first day of the NCAA's new early signing period, and the Gamecocks got signatures from 20 players. While the signing period extends through Friday, South Carolina doesn't expect to sign the final five members of its class until the traditional February signing date.

The signing class was ranked the 16th-best in the country and sixth-best in the SEC...

jbcarol

Recruiting: Holiday weekend notebook

Quote2019 QB Ty Evans of Monument, CO, who decommitted from Arkansas November 26th, will take an unofficial visit to USC in January. He passed for 3600 yards and 42 TDs this season and was state player of the year. He also has an offer from NC State.

jbcarol

[2019] South Carolina recruiting: Mark Fox Jr. details commitment to Gamecocks

QuoteAuburn, Florida, UCF and Purdue were among the offers for Fox, who "might" visit other schools before signing with South Carolina.

Georgia is not on the list.

jbcarol

SportsTalk
‏ @sportstalksc
18h18 hours ago

SportsTalk Retweeted Devontae Davis
#⃣

6⃣

#STRecruiting:  Former Silver Bluff DE Devontae Davis of Georgia Military JC committed to USC.

jbcarol

Four-star 2019 WR Jamario Holley commits to South Carolina

QuoteFour-star wide receiver Jamario Holley (Rock Hill, S.C.) is one of the top in-state prospects from the Class of 2019. He's now committed to South Carolina.

Holley, the No. 44 wide receiver in the Class of 2019, according to the 247Sports composite, committed over offers from Arkansas, Kentucky and Virginia Tech, among others. The previous staffs at Florida State and Tennessee also offered.

jbcarol

South Carolina recruiting: 4-star OT Dylan Wonnum commits

QuoteFour-star offensive tackle Dylan Wonnum (Tucker, Ga.) is the latest commitment to the 2018 South Carolina recruiting class.

Wonnum, an Under Armour All-American, announced his pledge to South Carolina on Saturday night over Auburn, LSU and Tennessee. He's the first 2018 prospect to commit to the Gamecocks since the December signing period.

Wonnum is the No. 13 offensive tackle and No. 178 overall prospect in the Class of 2018.

Two 2019 prospects committed on Friday (4-star wide receiver Jamario Holley) and Saturday (3-star offensive guard Vincent Murphy).

jbcarol

SportsTalk
‏ @sportstalksc
Feb 7

Muschamp said closing with his two signees today was huge.

Muschamp said he has two spots left and has an idea who might fill each spot. Can't save any spots to the next year.

Muschamp said there's a positive buzz about his program around the Carolinas and Georgia. He said he'll also look at the grad transfer market if there's someone who can help the program.