Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CFB Coaching Openings

Started by WilsonHog, October 12, 2015, 06:16:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

Quote from: LLPL on November 12, 2015, 11:33:31 pm
just read an article about the Hurricane opening and the AD believes Charlie Strong and Tommy Tubberville are highly interested in the job. It also referenced former Cane Coach Butch Davis as a possibility and interest from Houston Nutt.

Literally 4 names mentioned and all 4 were born in Arkansas. What are the odds of that?

I think these are probably more likely candidates than those 4:

http://campusinsiders.com/news/miami-head-coaching-candidates-miami-really-wants-11-11-2015

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter 21s21 seconds ago

Correction: Pinkel retiring not resigning

Gabe DeArmond ‏@GabeDeArmond 2m2 minutes ago

It's too soon, but the early list of candidates will be Barry Odom, Justin Fuente, Tom Herman
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

gchamblee

Lots of coaching hires to be made this year. It is going to be interesting to see who loses their coach when given the opportunity to take a promotion. This would be a horrible year to be looking for a head coach.

Sarkisian at USCw
Spurrier at USCe
Kill at Minnesota
Beckman at Illinois
Edsall at Maryland
Golden at Miami
O'Leary at UCF
McCarney at North Texas
Beamer at Virginia Tech
Chow at Hawaii
Pinkel at Missouri

hoglady

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on November 13, 2015, 07:12:26 am
He's corrupt enough for them.

Davis is the coach that cleaned up the Miami cesspool once before and put together their National Championship team before moving to the pros. Not much basis for calling him corrupt.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

BPsTheMan

Quote from: jbcarol on November 13, 2015, 03:14:56 pm
Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter 21s21 seconds ago

Correction: Pinkel retiring not resigning

Gabe DeArmond ‏@GabeDeArmond 2m2 minutes ago

It's too soon, but the early list of candidates will be Barry Odom, Justin Fuente, Tom Herman

a week ago, Mizzou was a better job than South Carolina, Miami, Maryland and Minnesota

not now

jbcarol

Josh Kendall ‏@JoshatTheState 16h16 hours ago

Josh Kendall Retweeted Dave Matter

The AAC regrets to inform you that the 2016 season has been canceled due to lack of coaches.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 14h14 hours ago

Report: Alabama OC Lane Kiffin interviewed for Maryland coaching job http://trib.al/4QZFK2A

QuoteThe 40-year-old interviewed for Maryland's head coaching vacancy, according to a report from 247Sports.com's Jeff Ermann.

"Per a reliable source in Tuscaloosa, 'the situation has run its course' and Kiffin seems unlikely to return next year," Ermann wrote.

Jeff Ermann ‏@Jeff_Ermann Nov 13

#Terps football scoop: Maryland interviews " a lightning rod" candidate:

Großer Kriegschwein

Maybe Saban can hire Gus after he gets canned this year.
This is my non-signature signature.

AirForceHog

Come on defense! Get this stop.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Doug

Somewhat shocking for me, but not really surprised. Coach Todd Berry fired by ULM Warhawks AD Wickstrom
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

NuttinItUp

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN  2h2 hours ago
ULM coach Todd Berry fired. DL coach John Mumford will serve as interim coach rest of season

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 25, 2015, 07:19:53 pm
Good chance Stoops loses to Baylor, TCU, and Oklahoma State.  If that happens, then it would be back-to-back 8-4 seasons.  There probably would then be serious pressure put on David Boren and Oklahoma's AD.
There is a better chance that Oklahoma beats all 3 of those teams. It just usually happens that way. OU is the team to beat year in and year out in the Big 12. Lest we forget the @as licking the Sooners put on Alabama not far ago.  I will be taken agasp if the Sooners don't win out in the Big 12.

hog.goblin

Good chance Stoops loses to Baylor, TCU, and Oklahoma State.  If that happens, then it would be back-to-back 8-4 seasons.  There probably would then be serious pressure put on David Boren and Oklahoma's AD.

BBAF is right, as down goes Baylor.  It's looking like they'll beat a struggling TCU team.  Leaving a very good game with OSU.  Stoops will not feel any pressure going 10-2.

Of course they could just all cannibalize themselves too.

scruf

Is Jimmy Sexton still Houston Nutt's agent and if so, why haven't Nutt's feelers for the Missouri job gone public yet? It's only a matter of time.

jdelo77

I bet you see nutts name surface soon !

HogimusMaximus

There would be little pressure.  My BIL is a FOP at OU and this isnt even on the tale.

GoHogs1091

November 22, 2015, 03:02:25 pm #117 Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 03:40:54 pm by GoHogs1091
Quote from: HogimusMaximus on November 19, 2015, 05:06:02 pm
There would be little pressure.  My BIL is a FOP at OU and this isnt even on the tale.

It is now a moot point since Stoops defeated Baylor (a Baylor with a back-up Freshman QB) and since Stoops defeated TCU (a TCU with a back-up Redshirt Freshman QB).

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on November 22, 2015, 03:39:46 pm

Thank you.  I just changed it to moot.

Technically, it could be a mute point because when the point goes away and the point should not be talked about anymore, it becomes mute.

:)

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 22, 2015, 03:43:15 pm

Technically, it could be a mute point because when the point goes away and the point should not be talked about anymore, it becomes mute.

All good, thank you for getting it was done with humor. :) +1

Dwight_K_Shrute

With all these openings and the others that are sure to open up, if Houston Nutt doesn't get a job there is no God, or if there is he has no sense of humor.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Doug

Add Syracuse's Scott Shafer to the fired list. Now being confirmed publicly.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Oklahawg

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 22, 2015, 03:43:15 pm

We should simply mute the moot.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 22, 2015, 04:31:22 pm
With all these openings and the others that are sure to open up, if Houston Nutt doesn't get a job there is no God, or if there is he has no sense of humor.

True, but being a couple of years removed from the sideline ... who would sign on to be the assistant lion tamers for that circus?

He is making decent coin talking out his butt on radio shows, why screw that up?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ChicoHog

Quote from: Doug on November 23, 2015, 08:59:45 am
Add Syracuse's Scott Shafer to the fired list. Now being confirmed publicly.
That's been a tough job since the Big East broke up.  Marrone had them somewhat decent but he jumped ship for the NFL and I'm not sure what he is doing now.  The state of New York does not produce much talent so they have to hit the rest of the ACC territory especially Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. 

rhog1

root_hawg

How big would LSU be in regards to the coaching search ... best job or second to USC

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 22, 2015, 03:02:25 pm
It is now a moot point since Stoops defeated Baylor (a Baylor with a back-up Freshman QB) and since Stoops defeated TCU (a TCU with a back-up Redshirt Freshman QB).

We would take either of those wins in a second.  Hell, I would take a win over Western Michigan or Northern Idaho at this point.  We are not good. :puke:

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 25, 2015, 05:22:15 pm
I know this is really jumping the gun, but at some point, Saban is going to retire.  I can't see Kiffin ever being a choice to replace Saban but Smart could be.  The question is, does he want to wait that long?

For that job, yes!

WilsonHog

Kirby Smart appears to be South Carolina's top choice, and, per Bruce Feldman, Dan Mullen is looking to get out of Starkville.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 25, 2015, 06:55:27 pm
Kirby Smart appears to be South Carolina's top choice, and, per Bruce Feldman, Dan Mullen is looking to get out of Starkville.
I hope he doesn't pull an Urban Liar who left UF a year after Tebow graduated and his team fell apart (losing his OC Mullen was also a part of it).  I have always held Mullen in higher regard.  Prescott is gone next year and maybe he thinks it will be too much of a rebuild so now is the time to look elsewhere?

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 10h10 hours ago

Ten SEC coaches to watch during the offseason carousel http://trib.al/rOh3EpN

QuoteDan Enos, offensive coordinator, Arkansas

Enos is also a first-year guy at his current SEC post. He left his head coaching job with Central Michigan, but after one very successful year with the Razorbacks, could bigger (than the MAC) programs be interested?

GoHogs1091

If Smart goes to South Carolina, then look for Nick Saban to make Mel Tucker Alabama's DC.  Tucker is their current Defensive Backs Coach.

If Tucker does become the Alabama DC, look for Alabama to start utilizing a more 3 man Defensive Line front than they have been recently.  Tucker has a lot of NFL Defensive Coordinator experience, and Alabama has a 6'5" 375 lbs. Defensive Lineman from Texas committed for this upcoming February 2016 Signing Day.

BPsTheMan

Tulane job is open any day now

LSU is screwing the pooch.

Jimbo Fisher is supposedly signed sealed and delivered. Good. He never held a lower tier HC job to launch himself into the FSU gig - it was handed to him by Bobby Bowden. He did parlay one Nattie, but it's FSU - you should be able to do that.

Do the math: an SEC West power is falling all over themselves to hire a coach from the pansy ACC who has accomplished far less than the coach they're getting rid of.

I'm glad they're not going after Tom Herman.

Welcome Jimbo! We're going to beat your ass!

BPsTheMan

being mentioned for the Tulane job...

GoHogs1091

Here are my updated predictions.

Miami (FL)   Greg Schiano or Mario Cristobal

South Carolina   Kirby Smart

Virginia Tech   Justin Fuente

Southern California   Chip Kelly

Maryland   D.J. Durkin

Missouri   Matt Campbell

Memphis (if Fuente goes to Virginia Tech)   Barry Odom

LSU (if they replace Les Miles)   Jimbo Fisher

Florida State (if Fisher goes to LSU)   Dan Mullen

Mississippi State (if Mullen goes to Florida State)   Geoff Collins or Brent Venables

Tulane   Frank Wilson

Alabama DC (if Smart goes to South Carolina)   Mel Tucker

UCF   Randy Shannon

Florida DC (if Geoff Collins and Randy Shannon both leave)   Jeremy Pruitt   

Tom Herman stays at Houston (receives a substantial pay raise) and waits on the Texas Head Coach job to open.

ChicoHog

Good predictions.  I don't see why Fisher would leave FSU for LSU.  FSU just needs to beat Clemson and has a much easier path to the playoffs than LSU.  The pressure to win is likely the same at both schools.  Pay is probably equal also. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 27, 2015, 01:19:23 pm
Good predictions.  I don't see why Fisher would leave FSU for LSU.  FSU just needs to beat Clemson and has a much easier path to the playoffs than LSU.  The pressure to win is likely the same at both schools.  Pay is probably equal also. 

It could be that Fisher may want to get out of the ACC because Swinney and the Coaching Staff Swinney has has built Clemson up to the point that even Fisher and FSU are going to have difficulty consistently winning against Clemson.

That Coaching Staff Swinney has is a daunting challenge for opposing teams.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 27, 2015, 03:09:11 pm
It could be that Fisher may want to get out of the ACC because Swinney and the Coaching Staff Swinney has has built Clemson up to the point that even Fisher and FSU are going to have difficulty consistently winning against Clemson.

in a pansy conference

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 27, 2015, 04:38:17 pm
in a pansy conference

The ACC had more 1st Round Draft Picks than the SEC had this past 2015 NFL Draft.

hog.goblin

If they are that good, which I don't necessarily subscribe to, they won't be there much longer.

Jek Tono Porkins

LSU is absolutely retarded. They are about to spend $15 mil to fire Miles and anyone they hire not named Saban will be marginally better at best.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 27, 2015, 06:07:40 pm
If they are that good, which I don't necessarily subscribe to, they won't be there much longer.

Dan Brooks, Danny Pearman, and Robbie Caldwell will probably stay and retire at Clemson.

I don't see Marion Hobby leaving Clemson.

They may lose Brent Venables, Jeff Scott, Tony Elliott, and Mike Reed at some point in the future (even though of those 4, Elliott and Reed may be at the point in their career that they would want to stay at Clemson).

BPsTheMan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 27, 2015, 06:06:53 pm
The ACC had more 1st Round Draft Picks than the SEC had this past 2015 NFL Draft.

I don't think one round tells the story my friend

hog.goblin

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 27, 2015, 06:15:05 pm
Dan Brooks, Danny Pearman, and Robbie Caldwell will probably stay and retire at Clemson.

I don't see Marion Hobby leaving Clemson.

Jimbo won't give those guys a 2nd thought compared to the SEC West

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 27, 2015, 06:31:29 pm
Jimbo won't give those guys a 2nd thought compared to the SEC West

Dan Brooks was John Chavis' Defensive Line Coach at Tennessee when Chavis was the Tennessee DC.

Danny Pearman coached with Gene Stallings at Alabama when Stallings won the NC at Alabama in 1992.  Pearman then later coached with Frank Beamer for 8 years at Virginia Tech.  Pearman was a Special Teams Assistant at VA Tech and learned about Special Teams coaching from Beamer.

Robbie Caldwell has 37 years of experience in college coaching.

Marion Hobby coached Defensive Ends in the NFL (for the New Orleans Saints).

hog.goblin

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 27, 2015, 06:43:12 pm
Dan Brooks was John Chavis' Defensive Line Coach at Tennessee when Chavis was the Tennessee DC.

Danny Pearman coached with Gene Stallings at Alabama when Stallings won the NC at Alabama in 1992.  Pearman then later coached with Frank Beamer for 8 years at Virginia Tech.  Pearman was a Special Teams Assistant at VA Tech and learned about Special Teams coaching from Beamer.

Robbie Caldwell has 37 years of experience in college coaching.

Marion Hobby coached Defensive Ends in the NFL (for the New Orleans Saints).

And yet none of those guys are scaring Jimbo from FSU to LSU and the SEC West.  He's no fool. He has one team to beat year in and year out, and Dabo is always good for a loss.  It's just coming a little late this year.

ChicoHog

That's one good program every year he has to beat.  Louisville is decent also.  In the SEC west every team has the ability to step up to LSU level on a consistent basis. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 27, 2015, 06:47:06 pm
That's one good program every year he has to beat.  Louisville is decent also.  In the SEC west every team has the ability to step up to LSU level on a consistent basis. 

There is only 1 Coaching Staff in the SEC that is close to that current Clemson Coaching Staff, and that is Alabama's Coaching Staff.  After this season Saban may be about to lose several off of his current Alabama Coaching Staff.

Kirby Smart     may get the South Carolina Head Coach job
Mario Cristobal     may get the Miami (FL) Head Coach job
Lane Kiffin     may go back to the NFL as an OC
Burton Burns     rumored to be retiring

Plus, it is thought that Saban's S&C Coach, Scott Cochran, may go with Kirby Smart to South Carolina.  Smart and Cochran are very, very good friends.

Jimbo Fisher knows he would be going into the SEC and very possibly facing a very dramatically different Alabama Coaching Staff that is not as high quality.