Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Half of all recruits come from NC to Texas

Started by ricepig, February 09, 2016, 08:26:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redeye

Torqued pork

Arkansas high school football is practically a wasteland when it comes to southern recruiting and it goes well beyond our small population. It's depressing.

SDZ_Hog

February 10, 2016, 08:09:54 am #3 Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:22:24 am by SDZ_Hog
Quote from: Torqued pork on February 10, 2016, 04:24:05 am
Arkansas high school football is practically a wasteland when it comes to southern recruiting and it goes well beyond our small population. It's depressing.
Population Mississippi is 2.99 and Arkansas is 2.98 but Mississippi on average has double our Division 1 signees. 
In 2010, Mississippi had 40,000 more individuals under the age of 18 than Arkansas did. 

Also from 2010, the South's population was 114,55,744    Northeast 55,317,240  Midwest 66,927,001 and West 71,945,553.  So the South's population is double of the next region.   Easy to see why the South produces more talent. 

Piggfoot

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on February 10, 2016, 08:09:54 am
Population Mississippi is 2.99 and Arkansas is 2.98 but Mississippi on average has double our Division 1 signees. 
In 2010, Mississippi had 40,000 more individuals under the age of 18 than Arkansas did. 

Also from 2010, the South's population was 114,55,744    Northeast 55,317,240  Midwest 66,927,001 and West 71,945,553.  So the South's population is double of the next region.   Easy to see why the South produces more talent. 
It's not just about population numbers. It's who makes up that population.
I reported years ago receiving most of my smites presumably from NWA posters that demographics was most important. Arkansas has 15% Black and Mississippi has about 38% Black. Kentucky also has a low number of Blacks.
The rest of the SEC states have more people and more "athletes". It's not going to change.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

IronHog

Quote from: Torqued pork on February 10, 2016, 04:24:05 am

Mostly because the 7a west produces next to nothing

East and south Arkansas did produce per capita d1 players on par with other southern states.....at least until recently.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

DeltaBoy

Lack of a larger AA population hurts us plus the death of Central Ark Football and Pine Bluff.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogNDas

Agree, BUT MS has 2 SEC teams and 3 D-1 teams to spread it amongst....

hawginbigd1

You could look at these numbers and see a correlation, but if you look a little deeper, you then realize that the south only has a 1/3 of the total population and produces over 1/2 the talent, this is the reason why the SEC will always be the top dog, even though the whole world wants us to believe that everybody else is catching up, but it just isn't true.

Of the remaining talent over half of that comes from the west, so half the country produces over 3/4 of the total D1 talent.

redeye

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 10, 2016, 10:11:59 am
Only 6 of the D1 athletes from MS decided to sign w/ Ole Miss.  The rest of that stellar class came from out of state.

How many come from within 3 hours of Oxford though?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: redeye on February 10, 2016, 11:12:27 am
How many come from within 3 hours of Oxford though?

Outside the state? 2

The rest are about 6-8hr drive.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: redeye on February 09, 2016, 09:35:37 pm
I'm surprised it's not more.

Why would that not be surprising.  Population wise that is probable less than 1/10th of our population?  I guess that doesn't include  any of the north and the west coast? 

I guess we love our football in the south except in Little Rock of course.

RME

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 10, 2016, 11:46:49 am
Why would that not be surprising.  Population wise that is probable less than 1/10th of our population?  I guess that doesn't include  any of the north and the west coast? 

Looking for any measly reason to bash Little Rock, eh?

Jackson, MS has a population of ~175,000
Little Rock, AR has a population ~193,000

In the 2016 247 state rankings, Jackson had 1 prospect out of 66 ranked in the state of Mississippi. That's 1.5%.
In the 2016 247 state rankings, Little Rock had 9 prospects of the 40 ranked in the state of Arkansas. That's
22.5%.

The difference is that Mississippi produces better athletes than Arkansas does. It doesn't all fall on Little Rock. Should the largest metropolitan area in the state produce better athletes? Yeah, I guess it should. But the largest metro area in Mississippi producing very few athletes doesn't prove that Little Rock has to do so.

I guess Jackson, Mississippi doesn't love their football, either.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Piggfoot on February 10, 2016, 09:50:24 am
It's not just about population numbers. It's who makes up that population.
I reported years ago receiving most of my smites presumably from NWA posters that demographics was most important. Arkansas has 15% Black and Mississippi has about 38% Black. Kentucky also has a low number of Blacks.
The rest of the SEC states have more people and more "athletes". It's not going to change.

Yep.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

redeye

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 10, 2016, 11:42:09 am
Outside the state? 2

The rest are about 6-8hr drive.

They're getting an unusual amount and that does raise some flags.  However, 16 of their 24 commits are still within a 5.5 hour drive from Oxford, which is about the same as Fayetteville to DFW.  That's including Shea Patterson, who's actually from Shreveport, LA.

redeye

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 10, 2016, 11:46:49 am

According to SDZ_Hog's numbers above, it's much more then 10% of our population and I think that's definitely true.  Of course it'll depend on which states you count, but I think you're way off on your guess.

I do think part of it is because we love our football in the South, but the other part is that the South is where most black Americans reside.  Here's a map showing the percentage of blacks per state population, where the higher percentage states are darker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_African-American_population

Note that Mississippi, Louisiana and Georgia have the 3 highest black populations in the nation.

Also, the pessimism for Little Rock recruits is way overstated, imo. 

Arazorbackguy1

The other half are from Texas to California.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

HogShat

That makes sense only for the reason of there are more people in that area....

RazorPiggie

Quote from: redeye on February 10, 2016, 07:03:10 pm
They're getting an unusual amount and that does raise some flags.  However, 16 of their 24 commits are still within a 5.5 hour drive from Oxford, which is about the same as Fayetteville to DFW.  That's including Shea Patterson, who's actually from Shreveport, LA.

And who's brother is on staff.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Bunch of carpetbaggers and damn yankees if you ask me.

Also it highlights my concerns that Bielema doesn't hire assistants with relevant SEC experience but everybody else does. I also believe that the staff turnover has a little to do with that too. Recruiting is a different animal in the SEC and these guys aren't cut out for it, won't hustle as hard and are quick to take the next offer that comes along for an easier life outside the SEC or at a program that has it made.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.