Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas' Recruiting

Started by rtr, February 07, 2016, 10:48:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rtr

It has been said that Coach B swung for the fences and struck out.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I suspect when this class has graduated they will be ranked considerably higher than they are now. 

That being said, we did not strike out, in fact the inning isn't even over.  We hit a couple of singles and have runners on base, now a good season may drive the rest of them home.  Our recruiting is getting better, we just need to keep winning to hit that recruiting grand slam.  Woo Pig Sooie :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

cram224

JIHawg

Agree totally.  Lemming has us at 18, add Town and Ramsey, and we are very close to top ten.

HogFather1

Then we also expect to add another 4*  in May (Tuley-Tillman).  He was also a former Under-Armor All-American with offers from everyone.
If he was included in the revised rankings (he won't be included), then he would also bump us up a couple.

yraciv

Struck out is a strong term.  We had a good class and I like the players we signed.  To deny we swung for the fences and missed is a stretch though.  Damn right we tried and failed! It happens!  I hope we do the same thing next year, and can close the deal!

TX HOG

We had a solid class.  There was great effort to make it possibly the best class we've ever had. We came up short on that. Therefore in theory I do believe we swung for the fence and did indeed come up a bit short. I do agree however that recruiting is looking up, and this was just the beginning of some future great recruiting classes...

razorpimp

Just Competing with the "recruiting" big boys for recruits with our lack of recent success shows how well this staff recruited. 

farfromgroovins

Quote from: razorpimp on February 07, 2016, 11:57:47 am
Just Competing with the "recruiting" big boys for recruits with our lack of recent success shows how well this staff recruited.

This
We go hats on the table on NSD that we haven't seen in a while. One year we hope to get the hats on the heads.
We signed plenty of home runs early but we just didn't have the NSD fanfare with the early commits. Keep swinging and we will get one.

ricepig

It's quite reasonable to say we closed with a whimper, and I'm considered a Kool-aid poster. We missed out on 3 we thought we had a real good chance with, and lost a commit on signing day. That's not saying we didn't have a good class, we did. Outside of a high school OT, we pretty much filled our needs.

bphi11ips

It's been 35 years since I've been this positive about the future of the football program.  A big part of that is this year's recruiting.  The class itself is very strong, especially at the top.  But as with many things where excellence is concerned, recruiting is about the process.  From top to bottom and start to finish, I don't recall a better, more thorough, and certainly not a more ambitious, effort.  Being in the game with a few of the top playmakers in the country at the end is a good sign that players see Arkansas as a team on the rise.  Parents know their boys will be well taken care of in Fayetteville. 

Winning big will take recruiting to the next level.  2016 could be the year we sneak up on college football.  Even years set up well.  See 1998 and 2006.  I can't wait.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Torqued pork

How you fare with the last few big targets has a big influence on how a class is perceived. We didn't close well, but the players we did get won't be lesser talents bc of it.

Bring on spring practice.

WLD3

The only areas we were lacking was at defensive back, especially corner, and offensive tackle.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Coaches did a good job considering how bad the Arkamsas talent was this year.

ricepig

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on February 07, 2016, 06:15:39 pm
Coaches did a good job considering how bad the Arkamsas talent was this year.

Going to be even a harder job next year, no 5* that wants to be a Hog.

texas tush hog

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2016, 06:19:55 pm

So far.

ricepig

RaisinHog

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2016, 06:58:52 pm
Who in state will be a 5*, do we even have any 4*?
I'm sure someone will get bumped to a 4 star but we only have 6 3 star right now so yea if we get a 5 star it will not be home grown

Hawghiggs

My only knock is that we still are under recruiting Kansas And Missouri. We left 5 open spots and didn't even try to build a pipeline into the Kansas City metro area. I get that it isn't an overall talent rich area. But it does produce some talent every year. We it have been so much of a gamble to at least try an lure one player?

arlhog

Some people on here are negative and I hope I don't come off like that at all.   I'm a little disappointed because I thought we could finish stronger.  I'm so much happier with cbb than I ever was with hdn.  I would just like to see us compete with top 5-10 teams in recruiting and have never seen it happen.  I understand we have disadvantages that we simply cannot change but I'd love to see us overcome them.   Maybe someday we can overcome them and I hope I see it.  I had a bad feeling 2 weekends before signing day and we only had one guy commit out of all the visitors we had.  Say what you want but those were our plan "A" guys.  But if you go back and look at our classes 10 years ago, it's not close.  I think this program is headed in the right direction, just not getting there fast enough for me.   But I've never been a patient person.  All that being said, keep in mind it is an uphill battle going against teams that outrecruit us.  Hope we can beat them on the field where it counts.   Woo Pig.

redeye

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 07, 2016, 11:08:27 pm
My only knock is that we still are under recruiting Kansas And Missouri. We left 5 open spots and didn't even try to build a pipeline into the Kansas City metro area. I get that it isn't an overall talent rich area. But it does produce some talent every year. We it have been so much of a gamble to at least try an lure one player?

I've been arguing for this for a long time, but I'm not sure you can say that about Bielema now.  He did evaluate several players in those states, offered a few and signed one.  I'm not sure why we didn't seem interested in some who were rated high, but I could say that about players in all our surrounding states.  I will say that it seems many Kansas and Missouri players just don't seem interested in Arkansas (especially Kansas, because the JUCO players there are often looking to get back closer to home).

redeye

Quote from: arlhog on February 07, 2016, 11:34:45 pm
Some people on here are negative and I hope I don't come off like that at all.   I'm a little disappointed because I thought we could finish stronger.  I'm so much happier with cbb than I ever was with hdn.  I would just like to see us compete with top 5-10 teams in recruiting and have never seen it happen.  I understand we have disadvantages that we simply cannot change but I'd love to see us overcome them.   Maybe someday we can overcome them and I hope I see it.  I had a bad feeling 2 weekends before signing day and we only had one guy commit out of all the visitors we had.  Say what you want but those were our plan "A" guys.  But if you go back and look at our classes 10 years ago, it's not close.  I think this program is headed in the right direction, just not getting there fast enough for me.   But I've never been a patient person.  All that being said, keep in mind it is an uphill battle going against teams that outrecruit us.  Hope we can beat them on the field where it counts.   Woo Pig.

I know what you mean, but it's nearly an insurmountable disadvantage and you'll learn to temper those expectations one day.  This forum goes nuts close to NSD and I never want to rain on the parade, even though it's usually unrealistic.  This is one of the few times when I agree more with the trolls around here.

However, one reason I don't rain on the parade is because I also believe it's possible.  As I've noted a few times already, we came surprisingly close this year, mainly because our final few recruits were rated so high.  I never expect to sign more then 1-2 players who officially visit, but if we'd gotten lucky and signed 2-3 this year, we would have cracked the top 15 and maybe even the top 10.  I honestly never expected that.

Biggus Piggus

On his TV show, Tom Lemming (longtime recruiting analyst) ranked the Arkansas class in the top 20. He said that many of Arkansas's 3* recruits were very high 3*s who could end up being better than those ratings. He said this was the kind of class that would lift the Razorbacks to another level. Funny how some people can be so petulant over something like that.
[CENSORED]!

hawgXi

I can never remember the hogs having as many player's ranked in the top 10 nationally at their postition come in for official visits. 

much less have 3-4 top 5's still undecided on signing day with razorbacks making the final cut.

remember on 3 signing day candidates, hogs were the common denominator as we lost in competition to LSU, Florida, and Texas.  but we were the only common program under consideration by Fulton, Cleveland, Porter, plus Jones.

I know "close only counts in hand grenades and oral sex", but imo, if we were running along at a 10 win/year clip and contending for SEC West, SEC championship and a major bowl we would be bagging these top 5 studs up every year.

and by the way winning at the clip CBB was doing at Wisconsin never produced a look at such high level talent for him up there, and still he went to 3 straight Rose Bowls.

woodrow hog call

I keep seeing the plan A, plan B, terms thrown around when referring to the last couple of weeks of recruiting.

I say our plan A guys were the ones who had committed early and never wavered, everyone else was a plan B guy, regardless of rankings.

I look forward to the day when we are not waiting on the last minute decision of anyone, just spend the last two weeks of recruiting on the junior class because we have all of the current class committed with quality players/young men that are uncommon.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

jm

It is a great class. Some people are just disappointed about a couple of guys that flipped or we missed on. It is human nature to desire to be wanted and somehow painful when we feel spurned.

26.2Hog

Quote from: HogFather1 on February 07, 2016, 11:33:14 am
Then we also expect to add another 4*  in May (Tuley-Tillman).  He was also a former Under-Armor All-American with offers from everyone.
If he was included in the revised rankings (he won't be included), then he would also bump us up a couple.

Are you talking about OL Logan Tuley-Tillman, who was charged with 3 felonies and dismissed from the team at Michigan?

I thought he transferred to Washington State.

ricepig

Quote from: 26.2Hog on February 08, 2016, 11:16:46 am
Are you talking about OL Logan Tuley-Tillman, who was charged with 3 felonies and dismissed from the team at Michigan?

Seeing how he hasn't graduated yet, he hasn't transferred to anywhere yet.

dowils

Absolutely, Arkansas had a great recruiting class and is on the verge of winning a NC.

Bubba's Bruisers

The positive is the class was very solid when looking individually at the players we signed.  The negative is that when looking as a whole, there are some holes...namely OL and CB.  Still overall pretty good.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 07, 2016, 11:08:27 pm
That's oddly specific.

Why bother building a new pipeline to an area with poor turnout, when we could spend that time and those resources on strengthening connections that are already producing like Texas or Florida?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2016, 06:19:55 pm
Gosh, we're not even officially one week past NSD '16 and you've already decided that. How grand! Perhaps we won't sign any....then again, maybe we just might. Obviously we never know; however, I just hope and pray that the staff doesn't take that attitude 'cause I can guarantee that if they do we definitely won't. Interesting how sometimes things become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 26.2Hog on February 08, 2016, 11:16:46 am

Well I don't know about THREE charges, however, as his legal proceedings are apparently coming up soon I think we might at least wait to see how all that unfolds. While I'm not sure what CBB might do, which ever way the whole thing "shakes out", let's see.

BTW the latest I've seen is that supposedly he's put his pledge to WSU on hold.

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 08, 2016, 12:14:29 pm
Gosh, we're not even officially one week past NSD '16 and you've already decided that. How grand! Perhaps we won't sign any....then again, maybe we just might. Obviously we never know; however, I just hope and pray that the staff doesn't take that attitude 'cause I can guarantee that if they do we definitely won't. Interesting how sometimes things become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

If you had done a little reading comprehension, you would have seen I was responding to a post that mentioned in-state recruiting. Thus no 5*, Agim, that wants to be a Hog. Currently, we don't have any 4* recruits in the state, it will be virtually impossible for an Arkansas kid to go from 3* to 5*, unless they get an Alabama offer, haha.

26.2Hog

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2016, 11:20:18 am

Seeing how he hasn't graduated yet, he hasn't transferred to anywhere yet.

Do what?  A player can transfer anytime they want, regardless of whether they have graduated.

You are probably thinking about players who graduate early and still have a year of eligibility left. They can transfer and play at their new school without sitting out a year.

Edit: I just found out Tuley-Tillman will in fact graduate in May and still have two years of eligibility left.  I see what you mean, ricepig.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 08, 2016, 12:17:46 pm
Well I don't know about THREE charges, however, as his legal proceedings are apparently coming up soon I think we might at least wait to see how all that unfolds. While I'm not sure what CBB might do, which ever way the whole thing "shakes out", let's see.

BTW the latest I've seen is that supposedly he's put his pledge to WSU on hold.

Tuley-Tillman pleaded guilty today to two felony charges in exchange for the third felony charge being dropped.  Sentencing is March 28, and it looks like he will get probation after which his record will be expunged.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2016/02/08/logan-tuley-tillman-michigan-football/80015164/

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2016, 12:27:16 pm
If you had done a little reading comprehension, you would have seen I was responding to a post that mentioned in-state recruiting. Thus no 5*, Agim, that wants to be a Hog. Currently, we don't have any 4* recruits in the state, it will be virtually impossible for an Arkansas kid to go from 3* to 5*, unless they get an Alabama offer, haha.
Well obviously I did miss that very point. Then again, for us to have an instate five star is about as common as a lunar eclipse. Even so I would hope that we will go after other 5 stars, even if they're out of state and we have a very slim chance of signing them. The one thing we DO know for sure is that if we never recruit and offer we'll never get any of these kids. Otherwise we'll just have the same old bitching and moaning that we rarely ever sign a top level recruit.

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 08, 2016, 03:43:02 pm
Well obviously I did miss that very point. Then again, for us to have an instate five star is about as common as a lunar eclipse. Even so I would hope that we will go after other 5 stars, even if they're out of state and we have a very slim chance of signing them. The one thing we DO know for sure is that if we never recruit and offer we'll never get any of these kids. Otherwise we'll just have the same old bitching and moaning that we rarely ever sign a top level recruit.

Oh, we'll offer some 5* no doubt, hopefully we can snag one or two. I don't worry about *'s, I'm more interested in offers.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on February 08, 2016, 12:10:41 pm
That's oddly specific.

Why bother building a new pipeline to an area with poor turnout, when we could spend that time and those resources on strengthening connections that are already producing like Texas or Florida?
Clemson and Wisconsin didn't  seem to mind getting the top talent out of the area. So why should we? We left five open spots in our latest recruiting class.  Getting one player out of the KC area should have been a problem.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 08, 2016, 08:11:39 pm
Clemson and Wisconsin didn't  seem to mind getting the top talent out of the area. So why should we? We left five open spots in our latest recruiting class.  Getting one player out of the KC area should have been a problem.

Hmm, don't you think that's the staff's decision on whom to offer?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 08, 2016, 08:11:39 pm

Did not leave five. More like two.
[CENSORED]!

hawginbigd1

For a little perspective below is our class rating by offers 15 and 16. Last years class was just a bit better, so to say that this class was better based on offers seems to be factually incorrect!

http://www.rankbyoffers.com/2016fbteams/

http://www.rankbyoffers.com/2015fbteams/

redeye

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on February 08, 2016, 12:10:41 pm
That's oddly specific.

Because proximity to campus is very important with recruiting.  I'm not sure you have to worry about resources being diverted from Texas or Florida to recruit Kansas and Missouri harder, though.  But we don't need to ignore any locations where a recruit can make the drive to Fayetteville in a few hours or less.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2016, 08:22:12 pm
Hmm, don't you think that's the staff's decision on whom to offer?

Yes and No. I do believe that CBB should be allowed to build this program the way he wants. My problem is that no staff has had success in the Kansas City area and at some point we need to change that.   That area produces quiet a bit of talent and we simply must take advantage of it. Currently Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska are all down. But yet Clemson and Wisconsin out recruited us in that area. That simply just can't happen. If Arkansas is to ever move up in the college football hierarchy. Then we must find  away to lure more top talent here.

Hawghiggs

ricepig

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 08, 2016, 11:18:09 pm
  Yes and No. I do believe that CBB should be allowed to build this program the way he wants. My problem is that no staff has had success in the Kansas City area and at some point we need to change that.   That area produces quiet a bit of talent and we simply must take advantage of it. Currently Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska are all down. But yet Clemson and Wisconsin out recruited us in that area. That simply just can't happen. If Arkansas is to ever move up in the college football hierarchy. Then we must find  away to lure more top talent here.

Well, that could be said about the entire country. We offered the player from Wichita, we lost out on him, it happens.