Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

With Jemal gone?

Started by WaltonCollege, February 05, 2016, 02:30:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WaltonCollege

Do we hire a coach who recruits Houston/Dallas well or Louisiana? I sure wouldn't mind giving Mike Smith a right hand man down there.

navyhog24

How about we try to get Frank Wilson from starting his head coaching career? Lol

TX HOG

Here's what I've leaned with Coach B's hirings. We will probably not guess who it is.

navyhog24

Quote from: TX HOG on February 05, 2016, 02:34:11 pm
Here's what I've leaned with Coach B's hirings. We will probably not guess who it is.

I agree

WaltonCollege

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 05, 2016, 02:32:01 pm
How about we try to get Frank Wilson from starting his head coaching career? Lol

Would love that. But that might be working backwards for him.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: WaltonCollege on February 05, 2016, 02:30:18 pm
Do we hire a coach who recruits Houston/Dallas well or Louisiana? I sure wouldn't mind giving Mike Smith a right hand man down there.

Or we could go both with Larry Porter

buldozer

Recruiting should definitely be the focus of this hire.....

ricepig

Quote from: buldozer on February 05, 2016, 02:54:11 pm

We said that this time last year.......

Mike_e

The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

longpig

Singleton definitely did not step up to the plate in recruiting, no excuse for not picking up 2 or 3 RBs.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Vantage 8 dude

While I'll agree we need all the good recruiters we can get, how about his coaching abilities as well? I mean I'm assuming you want a RB coach that can not only recruit, but also coach up the players and is also a good in game coach too. Unfortunately guys with all these attributes aren't exactly a dime a dozen. As we've seen time and time again Bret will hire the guy who he thinks is the best fit, whether we even know the coach or even agree with it or not. 

HogNDas

I'm beginning to believe our assistants don't like their boss!....we've had numerous "lateral" moves including Pittman.  Instability on the coaching staff can also lead to less than stellar recruiting performance....IMO.  CBB's comments re:  Bolle were inappropriate when Pittman departed....Just sayin', he may be a tough to work for boss!

Mike_e

Quote from: HogNDas on February 05, 2016, 03:14:18 pm
I'm beginning to believe our assistants don't like their boss!....we've had numerous "lateral" moves including Pittman.  Instability on the coaching staff can also lead to less than stellar recruiting performance....IMO.  CBB's comments re:  Bolle were inappropriate when Pittman departed....Just sayin', he may be a tough to work for boss!

I don't know what you're drinking but man, college to the NFL is Not a lateral move.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 03:01:20 pm
We said that this time last year.......

Yeah, I've completely given up on it.

A few months from now, we'll announce the hire.  He'll be a good coach with little to no recruiting experience.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogNDas

Quote from: Mike_e on February 05, 2016, 03:14:14 pm
I don't know what you're drinking but man, college to the NFL is Not a lateral move.

[Sam is the OL coach at UGA...he did not go to the NFL]

longpig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 03:14:53 pm
Yeah, I've completely given up on it.

A few months from now, we'll announce the hire.  He'll be a good coach with little to no recruiting experience.

or Tim Horton ;D, reckon he's getting homesick yet?
Don't be scared, be smart.

Wildhog

Quote from: longpig on February 05, 2016, 03:21:07 pm
or Tim Horton ;D, reckon he's getting homesick yet?

Gross.  I hope not.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogNDas

Tim would be a great hire, but not sure his feelings have healed yet.

HogNDas

If not mistaken, Lunney is the ONLY coach from CBB's original AR staff?  I'm asking.....and of course, CBL will never leave AR....loves the Hill too much!!!

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

ricepig

Quote from: HogNDas on February 05, 2016, 03:21:15 pm
Tim would be a great hire, but not sure his feelings have healed yet.

Lol, I mean lol.....

passinghog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 05, 2016, 03:10:14 pm
While I'll agree we need all the good recruiters we can get, how about his coaching abilities as well? I mean I'm assuming you want a RB coach that can not only recruit, but also coach up the players and is also a good in game coach too. Unfortunately guys with all these attributes aren't exactly a dime a dozen. As we've seen time and time again Bret will hire the guy who he thinks is the best fit, whether we even know the coach or even agree with it or not.

RB is the easiest position to coach. There aren't really any difference makers at RB coach for their coaching prowess. They need to be able to get players, and talented ones at that.

Arthur pigby sellers.

At RB coach I'll take a great recruiter over a great coach  Anyday.  Also with a great recruiter you have less chance of losing them to nfl. 

Mike_e

Sam did go to georgia

to be with his boosim bud

yeah, I know I misspelled it.

sickboy

Stop posting this stuff. It's speculative and gossipy. Worst of all -- it's devoid of reason and logic, and, sadly, much of our fanbase will blindly start to believe it.

When your coaches are getting hired by the NFL you are doing something right. How on earth can you not see that?

TX HOG

guess your talking about Shannon, Pittman, and Ash?

lilRockNDubb

Please explain the "lateral" moves? McDonald ended up being at Syracuse as an OC.  Partidge is a head coach. Ash is now a head coach. Singelton is now in the NFL. Thomas is now in the NFL. Shannon went home to Florida. Pittman is back with his running buddy.

oldhawg

I seem to recall that Frank Broyles had frequent turn over of staff, with the exception of his right hand man, Wilson Mathews.

PorkRinds

Oh look. Another guy that has no clue what he's talking about.

sickboy

Quote from: TX HOG on February 05, 2016, 04:14:46 pm
guess your talking about Shannon, Pittman, and Ash?

Is this directed at me?

TX HOG

sickboy

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Showtimehog on February 05, 2016, 03:38:41 pm
RB is the easiest position to coach. There aren't really any difference makers at RB coach for their coaching prowess. They need to be able to get players, and talented ones at that.
Not sure if I totally agree about it not being any "difference makers". Didn't Singleton do a pretty fair job of helping our backs with their fumbling issues this past season? While to YOU that may not mean a lot, over the course of a season just a couple of fumbles, especially during close games and against quality opponents, can make a heck of a lot difference between potentially winning or losing those games. If, indeed, the possibly winning or losing a game (or two) where such errors might occur is of any concern of yours.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: sickboy on February 05, 2016, 04:10:17 pm
Stop posting this stuff. It's speculative and gossipy. Worst of all -- it's devoid of reason and logic, and, sadly, much of our fanbase will blindly start to believe it.

When your coaches are getting hired by the NFL you are doing something right. How on earth can you not see that?
Unfortunately as we've also seen comments devoid of reason, logic, or even the beginning of a thought is not particularly uncommon; the requirement to contain any degree of lucid rationalization certainly isn't a basis for posting either.   

Hogfan46

Fail. Move on, nothing to see here.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on February 05, 2016, 03:47:29 pm
At RB coach I'll take a great recruiter over a great coach  Anyday.  Also with a great recruiter you have less chance of losing them to nfl.
Before I comment did you actually mean to state the last part of your post "...with a greater recruiter you have less chance of losing them to the NFL"? I'm assuming you're referring to the coach here. If that's the case, what difference does being a great (or not so great) recruiter have with possibly going to the "bigs"? Duh.....I would hazard to guess, and would really love to see you disprove such, that no matter what skill levels a college assistant coach may have in convincing a kid to go to your particular program has very little impact on whether or not one turns down an offer from the NFL. I'm assuming here that the coach is being offered a job with solid responsibilities and with a (very likely) higher salary. The only real exception(s) might be if the coach is either so content with his college job (and there are some) or he's already being paid at a level where moving up wouldn't really mean that  much of an increase (if any). All in all, however, to think that just because a guy's a good recruiter means he's more likely to stay at the college level is just lame and ludicrous.

passinghog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 05, 2016, 05:10:26 pm
Not sure if I totally agree about it not being any "difference makers". Didn't Singleton do a pretty fair job of helping our backs with their fumbling issues this past season? While to YOU that may not mean a lot, over the course of a season just a couple of fumbles, especially during close games and against quality opponents, can make a heck of a lot difference between potentially winning or losing those games. If, indeed, the possibly winning or losing a game (or two) where such errors might occur is of any concern of yours.

it's a position where you need to must have a recruiter FIRST, coaching abilities second. If he's bringing in blue-chippers, (whether they be receivers, RBs, defensive players, it doesn't matter, just get them to sign), he'll have a job for life. That's a fact.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Showtimehog on February 05, 2016, 05:43:09 pm
it's a position where you need to must have a recruiter FIRST, coaching abilities second. If he's bringing in blue-chippers, (whether they be receivers, RBs, defensive players, it doesn't matter, just get them to sign), he'll have a job for life. That's a fact.
Oh really...so that's a fact?! Well here's a fact, jack: In the vast majority of situations coaches, and that includes staffs, who don't win usually don't keep their jobs over time. What does that have to do with anything? Well, if you're a RB coach and your players don't perform up to standards, fumble the ball regularly, miss blocks, didn't hit their holes correctly, and just play below their talent level then very likely you're going to be asked to move along. And that's especially true if you have some highly rated kids you've recruited. We've seen assistants fired all the time because they couldn't get top performance out of their top stud kids. And most, if not all that, comes back to coaching!!! I suppose that what I'm really saying is that you can have all the top rated kids that YOU'VE recruited but if they continually mess up and don't perform up to potential someone's very likely looking for a new job and in his case it isn't the kid(s).

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2016, 04:25:25 pm
Oh look. Another guy that has no clue what he's talking about.
It appears there are numerous tonight, some of these folks hide in the shadows, and only post when there may be something they perceive as negative to the program or coach that they can give us their infinite wisdom. I compare them to Sloths, slowly, slowly, waiting for the chance to make their move, or in this case, post.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

tusksincolorado

Could I be banned for calling someone a complete f>*!<)#G Idiot?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: tusksincolorado on February 05, 2016, 07:34:24 pm
Could I be banned for calling someone a complete f>*!<)#G Idiot?
Don't call out any one poster that directly. Just my recommendation.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

HogFanFromTheHills

Are y'all arguing over recruiting skills? Doesn't seem like that'd apply in the nfl. Idk how you could perceive a move to the nfl as bad for the program. Should interest other potential hires. Not to mention how could you blame the guy. And he had the class to wait till after recruiting was done and over with to leave. Good for singleton.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on February 05, 2016, 07:43:22 pm
Don't call out any one poster that directly. Just my recommendation.

But it seems so appropriate.

tusksincolorado

We could always re-hire "ole' three point eagle-claw" himself!!! Or his "wittle" brother!!!

redeye

Singleton seemed like a nice guy.  I have no idea if he was a good coach, but Indianapolis must think he's one.

Having said that, he didn't seem to be tearing it up on the recruiting trail and that's something you want out of your RB coach, in particular.  He also coached special teams and I think we can all agree that an upgrade is needed there.  I'm happy to see him move up in the coaching ranks and I'm grateful for his service to Arkansas, but I also think we have a great opportunity to upgrade with this one.

HogNDas

Okay, maybe I should phrase it different....With all these assistants leaving for upward promotions, the lack of continuity on the staff can hurt recruiting..now!   If I am not mistaken, CBL is the only original member of the CBB staff ....and sir, CBB is NO CFB!...

wonderboys

No one on this board can say something subjective without someone hammering them on spelling or facts

Bert is what he is/.   He says he could keep assistences cause if BA and money.   He has lost more here than at wisky in 4 yrs. coaches don't want to coach for him? Or they don't want to follow him.

The Twitter thing is old.   Just do your job.    People don't care that u and your wife are feeding your pet rats

Quit spinning recruiting.    Quit the mic drop sh1t.    It failed.     Don't post recruiting vs wins.    Yes recruiting is its own competition. So u can try to tie it to wins but it is still a compition between schools that want a recruit. 
Kids from ark need offers.   Yes DC needed offer.   Kids is athlete/.  Move him somewhere.   Yes signing 20 was our plan???
I do like him swinging for the fences/. But the mic drop killed that .   The coaches need to get off Twtr.

In the end it is wins and losses

In the 4th yr under cbb. We will regress.  Where will the excuses drop this yr?

If u are paid like a top 10 coach. U should win/ recruit like one.   If not find one or cut his salary.

ricepig

Quote from: wonderboys on February 05, 2016, 08:14:18 pm
No one on this board can say something subjective without someone hammering them on spelling or facts

Bret is what he is/.   He says he could keep assistences cause if BA and money.   He has lost more here than at wisky in 4 yrs. coaches don't want to coach for him? Or they don't want to follow him.

The Twitter thing is old.   Just do your job.    People don't care that u and your wife are feeding your pet rats

Quit spinning recruiting.    Quit the mic drop sh1t.    It failed.     Don't post recruiting vs wins.    Yes recruiting is its own competition. So u can try to tie it to wins but it is still a compition between schools that want a recruit. 
Kids from ark need offers.   Yes DC needed offer.   Kids is athlete/.  Move him somewhere.   Yes signing 20 was our plan???
I do like him swinging for the fences/. But the mic drop killed that .   The coaches need to get off Twtr.

In the end it is wins and losses

In the 4th yr under cbb. We will regress.  Where will the excuses drop this yr?

If u are paid like a top 10 coach. U should win/ recruit like one.   If not find one or cut his salary.

So, we should let posts that are incorrect, proceed without giving the facts? Bret is 18th in pay, so there's one, I'd continue on, but you don't seem to like to be corrected.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 08:20:27 pm
So, we should let posts that are incorrect, proceed without giving the facts? Bret is 18th in pay, so there's one, I'd continue on, but you don't seem to like to be corrected.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Facts aren't his strong suit

wonderboys

Ok. Yeah let's b exact

I hope Steve spurrier earned his pay this yr

21st wouldn't be bad.       So we r a 18th ranked team?