Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is this years Dre Greenlaw?

Started by colbs, February 05, 2016, 12:05:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

colbs

Which new signee that is under the radar makes a big impact on next years team like Dre Greenlaw did?  I am going to guess De'Jon Harris or Giovanni LaFrance. 

RefineryHog

hawginbigd1

Quote from: RefineryHog on February 05, 2016, 12:09:59 pm
DeDe Edwards..
For the love of God, please let this be true! I will add we need one of the LB's either Freshman or sophomore.

The_Iceman

Quote from: colbs on February 05, 2016, 12:05:43 pm
Which new signee that is under the radar makes a big impact on next years team like Dre Greenlaw did?  I am going to guess De'Jon Harris or Giovanni LaFrance. 

So I am eliminating all of the 4 star guys for this pick. I am tempted to say Hayden Johnson, but I think they may end up redshirting him to toughen him up before throwing him into blocking SEC LB's.

I think Dee Walker or Micahh Smith fit that Greenlaw under the radar type that could burst onto the scene. Walker reminds me a lot of Greenlaw coming in with his speed.

onebadrubi

We need it to be a DB.  I am betting it's a RB though by the name of Whaley. 

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

incHOGnito

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 05, 2016, 12:22:34 pm
We need it to be a DB.  I am betting it's a RB though by the name of Whaley. 

Whaley is by under the radar. I think most expect him to shoulder a significantly load at the RB position this year.

incHOGnito

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2016, 12:19:13 pm
So I am eliminating all of the 4 star guys for this pick. I am tempted to say Hayden Johnson, but I think they may end up redshirting him to toughen him up before throwing him into blocking SEC LB's.

I think Dee Walker or Micahh Smith fit that Greenlaw under the radar type that could burst onto the scene. Walker reminds me a lot of Greenlaw coming in with his speed.

These guys definitely fit the bill in terms of their recruitment.

PorkRinds

Quote from: IronHog on February 05, 2016, 12:26:00 pm
Hopefully no one......

Yeah, I'd really hate to have more Freshman All Americans...

The_Iceman

Quote from: IronHog on February 05, 2016, 12:26:00 pm
Hopefully no one......

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2016, 01:04:37 pm

But I get what he is saying. If you have have to play any freshmen, it means you have upperclassmen that have been in our program stepping up and producing.

longpig

Hopefully this years Dre Greenlaw under the radar star type will be any number of the greenhouse freshman.
Don't be scared, be smart.

spahoopsfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2016, 01:07:11 pm
But I get what he is saying. If you have have to play any freshmen, it means you have upperclassmen that have been in our program stepping up and producing.

No team has no one, not even Alabama.  My opinion is that Whaley will play more than Walker because of talent.  You don't take years to develop a running back.  Best players should play.

IronHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2016, 01:04:37 pm

good defenses have all-Americans

Bad defenses have freshman all-Americans

ricepig

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 01:51:15 pm
Three of the freshman AA's came from top 10 rated defenses.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/12/10/college-football-freshman-all-america-team/77081654/

Good point

Greenlaw put up lots of stats but his tackles were usually from behind and way down field.

The only reason he played was Ellis couldn't play Will like the staff said he would and there was no one else. 

The LBernplay last year was just bad......and that says a lot at Arkansas.

Cambridge Hog

bennyl08

I wouldn't consider De'Jon Harris under the radar, though I think he and/or Jean-Baptiste will make an impact at the LB position.

I'd have to go with Micah Smith though. Reminds me of a Tremain Thomas or Earl Thomas style of safety which I think will be great for our defense. Two of the last 3 years, our pass defense  has been atrocious. The first year, that was largely because of really bad safety play, really young corner play, and really inexperienced LB play. The next season, we improved in the experience of the secondary, the experience but mostly the athleticism of the LB play, and then we also had a really productive DL. This season, we switched style of DL play away from pass rush and towards run stopping, which exposed the poor safety play which never really improved, it was just asked to do less and we lost much of the athleticism that spaight brought.

Micah Smith and De'Jon Harris along with some of the others, but especially Harris and Smith, bring that speed we've been looking for w/o losing the size and it looks like we are going back to the disruptive mode on the DL rather than the run stopping mode.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on February 05, 2016, 01:58:01 pm

Good point

Greenlaw put up lots of stats but his tackles were usually from behind and way down field.

The only reason he played was Ellis couldn't play Will like the staff said he would and there was no one else. 

LB has been weak at Arkansas for years, nothing new.

gmarv

I know hes not a recruit but I,m hoping its duwop and he makes us a great cb or safety if they should make that move.

presidenthog

I look for scoota to get in the rotation early.

hawginbigd1

Honestly I keep hoping they move Pettway to safety and he becomes the playmaker there I believe he could be!

onebadrubi

Quote from: gmarv on February 05, 2016, 02:30:09 pm
I know hes not a recruit but I,m hoping its duwop and he makes us a great cb or safety if they should make that move.

Good point and thought.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 06, 2016, 01:20:47 pm
Honestly I keep hoping they move Pettway to safety and he becomes the playmaker there I believe he could be!

I think he will have to either ask for that position switch or we really flop there, and I mean really flop.  He's got a huge upside at either, but WR he could be a real game changer

hawginbigd1

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 06, 2016, 01:40:38 pm
I think he will have to either ask for that position switch or we really flop there, and I mean really flop.  He's got a huge upside at either, but WR he could be a real game changer
So far IMO Liddell and Ramirez have not shown the ability to be a quality SEC safety, and Alan Turner was either the most missed piece from last year or at least second most behind Speight!

Scott7703

Dejon Harris and dee Walker both have a chance to contribute.

Dominicanhog

Capps wins freshman of the year honors in the SEC with 7.5 sacks from the DT spot..... quickness, size and brute strength make him man ready...

Carl Lazlo

I really believe the safety Smith will be outstanding before he's done.  But, next season I have to go with LeFrance.

HogNDas

I believe, if we're not limiting it to defense, the "newcomer" will be WILL GRAGG!...

Steef

Truth is, there is a LOT of talent on our team, that we haven't seen on the field yet. From this new class and last year's class.

This isn't John L's Hogs any more. Nor are these his (or even Bobby's) recruiting classes.

We whiffed on three-four guys that would have nice to have. But guys...even our walk-ons are 3 stars.

And both of our head coordinators are back.

Fixin' to get good.

Getting back to the OP, Dre was a true freshman, so the question is...which of this year's (2016) class...will...
1. Start
2. Make Freshman Honors (SEC or AA)

I vote Sosa.

Sir Oinksalot

...Steef you really stepped out there ahahaha....Sosa Agim is going to be a shoe-in, imho.

The thought of the thread would seem to me to be someone who was offered late, that
everyone kinda rolled their eyes and whispered they were a plan B...

I really like this kid Dee Walker, at OLB...lots of upside, a stout 6'3", I think slipped
the radar....could get increased playing time if he adjusts quickly...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Steef

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on February 06, 2016, 08:44:37 pm
...Steef you really stepped out there ahahaha....Sosa Agim is going to be a shoe-in, imho.

The thought of the thread would seem to me to be someone who was offered late, that
everyone kinda rolled their eyes and whispered they were a plan B

I really like this kid Dee Walker, at OLB...lots of upside, a stout 6'3", I think slipped
the radar....could get increased playing time if he adjusts quickly...

A good point. Just difficult to predict.

I haven't seen the highlight vids of all recruits, so I don't have an informed 'guess'.

If we take your point to its conclusion and wonder who, of all the 'non-stellar' recruits, might make freshman AA....the answer could be 'none'. That doesn't happen every year, even with great recruits.

nwahogfan1

If Randy Ramsey has it all together then it could be him.  He is definitely talented enough.

tophawg19

i think T.J Hammond is going to shine depending on RW3'S availability early on.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Steef on February 06, 2016, 08:48:11 pm
A good point. Just difficult to predict.

I haven't seen the highlight vids of all recruits, so I don't have an informed 'guess'.

If we take your point to its conclusion and wonder who, of all the 'non-stellar' recruits, might make freshman AA....the answer could be 'none'. That doesn't happen every year, even with great recruits.

...true, Greenlaw may have been the exception to the rule - that rare combination of underrated
performance on the field and HUGE need at the position...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

3kgthog

None of the above. I don't see any of the incoming guys (other than Agim and Whaley) taking a spot from anyone. They simply aren't big upgrades over what we've already got. This is a depth class, not an immediate impact class.

Cinco de Hogo

Actually I kinda hope it's Ramsey.  I know he isn't in this years crop but he would be a RS freshmen, right.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 06, 2016, 01:48:45 pm
So far IMO Liddell and Ramirez have not shown the ability to be a quality SEC safety, and Alan Turner was either the most missed piece from last year or at least second most behind Speight!

I actually think Ramirez is ok. i think he will be good because of the attitude he plays with. He will come up and hit you in the mouth and he is still getting used to a position switch. He played corner in HS

razorbackfanatic

Alexy Jean Baptiste as well as Giovanni LeFrance!

PorkSoda

Quote from: IronHog on February 05, 2016, 01:58:01 pm

Good point

actually I thought it was because we didn't have a middle linebacker that could fill ellis' role there so they had to move ellis back to middle.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

IronHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 10, 2016, 02:47:55 pm
actually I thought it was because we didn't have a middle linebacker that could fill ellis' role there so they had to move ellis back to middle.

No.  He struggled trying to fill that role......moved back to MLBer but still had a hard time.

Linebacker play was just flat abysmal. 

Not sure why the Harris kid got no reps.....it's like Spaights Jr. year when he rode the bench behind lesser players.

HogWildBison2011

TJ Hammonds averaged over 13 yards per carry and over 28 yards per catch. He could make a big impact at RB and special teams. I actually submitted an article recently over the LB's committed in this class... I think the two that could see immediate playing time is Dee Walker & Harris. Alexy is really good but with Greenlaw sitting as the starter at WLB I think Alexy could redshirt. He is a LB that played some CB in his senior year and looked good while doing it.