Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ohhhh we got close

Started by longpig, February 04, 2016, 09:39:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

jgphillips3

Why are we even talking about these kids anymore? Who cares how close or far away we were.  This is a pass/fail game.  He went somewhere else and unless we find out it was because of illegal recruiting, the why's and wherefore's don't matter. 

Dr. Pepper

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 04, 2016, 09:47:09 pm
Why are we even talking about these kids anymore? Who cares how close or far away we were.  This is a pass/fail game.  He went somewhere else and unless we find out it was because of illegal recruiting, the why's and wherefore's don't matter.
:razorback:   :razorback:   :razorback:

Kyle

We won his aunt over, but she wasn't the decision maker. Arkansas is a better place than Florida for a kid that needs a good support system, but it's water under the bridge at this point. Here's to NSD2017.

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Richard Davenport

The whole family wanted Arkansas.

theFlyingHog

He chose to play for swamp donkey. So my only wish for him is to get planted by Arkansas safeties

longpig

You're free to not comment on any post you don't want to talk about.

KlubhouseKonnected

longpig

Quote from: Richard Davenport on February 04, 2016, 09:50:23 pm
The whole family wanted Arkansas.

Richard, do you think it was his family in Florida or the Florida program itself that made his mind?

Hoggish1

KlubhouseKonnected

It's like a bizarro mix of Daniels and Fulton.

Cobi Hamilton Fan

Quote from: longpig on February 04, 2016, 09:53:48 pm

Richard, do you think it was his family in Florida or the Florida program itself that made his mind?
Who cares? Good grief it's done and over. Lets move on.

LRHawg

Not really all that upset we missed out on him. We are stacked at receiver and he grew up a gator fan. Now Putu on the other hand...

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: LRHawg on February 04, 2016, 09:56:54 pm
Not really all that upset we missed out on him. We are stacked at receiver and he grew up a gator fan. Now Putu on the other hand...

I tend to agree. I was of course dissapointed as I would have liked to have him at Arkansas but Putu was the only thing that truly irritated me.

HogFoo

Too bad fulton and Cleveland couldnt switch families for this decision.  Haha.. one loved us one hated us both now will play against us.  Now, i just look forward to our defense laying out Cleveland when hes on the field, and one of our pulling guards pancaking fulton on a pull.  Hahahathey are the enemy now. So they both are dead to me in my fan eyes.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

CallThoseHawgs

Can't blame a kid for going to the school he grew up watching. Best of luck to Tyrie. Time for us to move on

lefty08

You guys not wanting to talk about this stuff make your own thread. Give yourselves something to talk about. Signing day was yesterday, not 2 months ago
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

longpig

February 04, 2016, 10:11:36 pm #18 Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:39:26 pm by longpig
Quote from: Cobi Hamilton Fan on February 04, 2016, 09:55:39 pm
Who cares? Good grief it's done and over. Lets move on.

Is your name Richard?

Oliver

Quote from: HogFoo on February 04, 2016, 10:02:43 pm
Too bad fulton and Cleveland couldnt switch families for this decision.  Haha.. one loved us one hated us both now will play against us.  Now, i just look forward to our defense laying out Cleveland when hes on the field, and one of our pulling guards pancaking fulton on a pull.  Hahahathey are the enemy now. So they both are dead to me in my fan eyes.

Two situations that were extremely different.  And of course neither worked in our favor

kp72204

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lefty08

Quote from: lefty08 on February 04, 2016, 10:10:04 pm
You guys not wanting to talk about this stuff make your own thread. Give yourselves something to talk about. Signing day was yesterday, not 2 months ago
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

redeye

Thanks for posting that longpig.

Cleveland is gonna be good and it's still nice to see that we came close (don't care who disagrees).  His family passionately wanting Arkansas tells me that Bielema's getting the job done and that the problems he's had closing recruits are related to something else.

Now I just hope we can make Tyrie and Putu regret their decisions next year, when we play Florida in Fayetteville.

P.S. Don't worry about the critics here, because they'll be gone in a few days.

razorhead94

Thing is no one on this board knew he grew up in Jacksonville FL and watched the gators growing up.  That's a key detail in this whole thing.  Had we known that I think a lot of the fanbase would understand that and we wouldn't have believed he was such a strong lean here.  I have no problem with his decision although I bet he'd have more success here.  Emotion always wins.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Hawgfan5

Bc future recruits may need reference material on why certain values are more important than others. Go away, please.

hawgmasta

Quote from: redeye on February 04, 2016, 10:27:16 pm

Cleveland is gonna be good and it's still nice to see that we came close (don't care who disagrees).  His family passionately wanting Arkansas tells me that Bielema's getting the job done and that the problems he's had closing recruits are related to something else.

Now I just hope we can make Tyrie and Putu regret their decisions next year, when we play Florida in Fayetteville.

This.

Cobi Hamilton Fan

Rzbakfromwaybak

Close in recruiting doesn't count.  Sort of like missing a field goal by 1 ft.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

AirForceHog

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on February 05, 2016, 01:00:31 am

Well I guess we all know were you stand on the talent we hauled in. Cool story bro.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Jim Harris

Quote from: LRHawg on February 04, 2016, 09:56:54 pm

Arkansas is stacked at receiver for one season. Then what?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ChiTown27

Quote from: theFlyingHog on February 04, 2016, 09:51:04 pm
He chose to play for swamp donkey. So my only wish for him is to get planted by Arkansas safeties
Love this!
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul."

George Bernard Shaw

smb

THIS!
GeorgiaHOG

whosiskid

Quote from: longpig on February 04, 2016, 10:11:36 pm
Is your name, Richard?

I don't want to jump on you, but this is an open board. If you post, people will respond, because it is what we all do. If you don't want people to respond, write Richard a PM. Otherwise why would you be the tiniest bit surprised that someone replied.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

whosiskid

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 05, 2016, 02:00:06 am

This is why I was so torn up by Pollard decommitting. Cleveland was always a long shot. But we did everything right with Pollard. We identified a truly great great player being overlooked by others, built a relationship, and got a relatively early commit. We followed up, with both his main recruiter visiting him and Michael Smith, his position coach, flying out to see him. When SC offered, Dan Enos flew out to visit. Then Bielema did an in home. I'm not sure what else we could have done. I understand the distance, but Pollard could have made a huge contribution in 2017.  I think Pollard would have anchored our WR rotation, even with Cleveland here. Cleveland might have been the deep threat, but Pollard would have been the go-to guy.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Oliver

Quote from: whosiskid on February 05, 2016, 03:53:31 am
This is why I was so torn up by Pollard decommitting. Cleveland was always a long shot. But we did everything right with Pollard. We identified a truly great great player being overlooked by others, built a relationship, and got a relatively early commit. We followed up, with both his main recruiter visiting him and Michael Smith, his position coach, flying out to see him. When SC offered, Dan Enos flew out to visit. Then Bielema did an in home. I'm not sure what else we could have done. I understand the distance, but Pollard could have made a huge contribution in 2017.  I think Pollard would have anchored our WR rotation, even with Cleveland here. Cleveland might have been the deep threat, but Pollard would have been the go-to guy.

I don't think Cleveland was a long shot but obviously we were in a much better position with Pollard.  And yes losing Cleveland but especially Pollard was huge for the reason Jim Harris listed above.  We should have been able to come out of those situations with at least a 50% success rate.

The real Hogules

Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

dowils

I think its great that we were second.  That is awesome and I can't wait to come in second on more top notch recruits.

PorkRinds

Then the guys stacked behind next years seniors will have to step up, and we will keep recruiting.  Have you gone all negative all the time?

southarkhog06

Hey where is Randy Ramsey these days?

WaltonCollege

kid didn't wanna be a razorback, can't force him to be one or he wouldn't excel when he was on campus. Probably good that he didn't come here if his heart wasn't in it.

texas tush hog

Like Fitz Hill used to say "there is only one place in recruiting and that is first place, everywhere else is last place." If you finish second on the top twenty five recruits in the nation what have you got? Nothing. Sometimes you've got to know your limitations. That was Danny Ford. D.J Cooper, Clint Stoerner, Anthony Lucas, Bobby Williams, Kenoy Kennedy, Jeremy Flowers, Grant Garrett to name a few.

theFlyingHog

texas tush hog

Quote from: southarkhog06 on February 05, 2016, 08:54:28 am
Hey where is Randy Ramsey these days?

Last I heard, was in school on his own dime, and would participate in spring training as a walk on, according to Bielema.

hawginbigd1

Sorry, I am saddened over this one, IMO this one is going to leave a mark! We are going to be like, we were this close to having him catching 8-140 and 2 TDs every week for us!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 05, 2016, 09:49:06 am
Last I heard, was in school on his own dime, and would participate in spring training as a walk on, according to Bielema.
That was a snarky slap at a particular poster, not a real question as an fyi.

bphi11ips

Kids everywhere grow up dreaming of playing for the local team, especially when they are as good as Florida was when Tyrie Cleveland lived nearby.  Personally, I think he made the right choice for himself and am happy for him.  Few get to live that dream.       
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

gchamblee

Quote from: kp72204 on February 04, 2016, 10:21:31 pm
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gchamblee

Quote from: redeye on February 04, 2016, 10:27:16 pm

Cleveland I can live with, the Putu decision still stings for me. He seemed like the kind of kid that when he gave you his word is was stronger than a signed contract. I still think he is a kid of good character but i feel like he broke up with us when we did nothing wrong :P

gchamblee

.......................................This Thread

O <- You

gchamblee

Quote from: whosiskid on February 05, 2016, 03:48:48 am
I don't want to jump on you, but this is an open board. If you post, people will respond, because it is what we all do. If you don't want people to respond, write Richard a PM. Otherwise why would you be the tiniest bit surprised that someone replied.

His point was, there are lots of threads on Hogville so quit reading the ones that don't interest you. Opening a thread that you have no interest in and then getting angry that it exists makes it his fault for reading it, not the OP's fault for posting it.