Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UM Transfer RB Derrick Green

Started by scruf, February 04, 2016, 03:27:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosboar Accubond

This is interesting, he appears to have been around 3rd or 4th in the rotation at MI this past year. Do we think he could be a major contributor here or are we just looking for experienced depth?

SDZ_Hog

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on February 05, 2016, 11:25:16 am
This is interesting, he appears to have been around 3rd or 4th in the rotation at MI this past year. Do we think he could be a major contributor here or are we just looking for experienced depth?
Nothing is a given but he could turn out like Kody Walker.  He has been injured about the whole time he has been in Fayetteville but turned it around the Auburn game on. 

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on February 05, 2016, 11:37:47 am
Nothing is a given but he could turn out like Kody Walker.  He has been injured about the whole time he has been in Fayetteville but turned it around the Auburn game on.
But I think Green only had one injury, a broken collar bone last year... this past season should have been break out for him. However I also know depth can be a beast when the other guys are great too. Maybe all he needs is the right situation to blow up, which we could possibly provide.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

jgphillips3

If Kody Walker does not return, Green could slip into his role seamlessly.  Also, it keeps the classes well balanced.  Nothing to scare away a stud next year.  In fact, we can now tell someone we are looking for the AC to the new JWill (DW).  It sucks not pulling a second stud RB this year, but if we get a 5 star or high 4 star next year, it may ultimately be a blessing.

Athog

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 04, 2016, 04:56:19 pm
We definitely need another back. I'm not buying that RWIII will ever be his old self. I have been told that he's risking a serious and career ending injury by playing again. This came from someone in the medical profession that's familiar with the situation. Don't start with the "breaking the law" comments, either. When it comes to public figures like Hog players, not everyone keeps their mouth shut even though we'd like to think they do.

I am always leery of Internet diagnosis though. Each case is different and that came from a surgeon as well.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 05, 2016, 11:46:25 am
If Kody Walker does not return, Green could slip into his role seamlessly.  Also, it keeps the classes well balanced.  Nothing to scare away a stud next year.  In fact, we can now tell someone we are looking for the AC to the new JWill (DW).  It sucks not pulling a second stud RB this year, but if we get a 5 star or high 4 star next year, it may ultimately be a blessing.
I thought it was already decided that Kody is coming back for next year.

lumphog

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on February 05, 2016, 11:46:21 am
I thought it was already decided that Kody is coming back for next year.
YEP!!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 05, 2016, 11:46:25 am
Might want to check up on the current news (at least as of yesterday) that Kody IS returning. Unless something has changed within the past 24 hours this has been known for something like a month.

younghog

GO HOGS

PorkRinds

We definitely need another back. I'm not buying that RWIII will ever be his old self. I have been told that he's risking a serious and career ending injury by playing again. This came from someone in the medical profession that's familiar with the situation. Don't start with the "breaking the law" comments, either. When it comes to public figures like Hog players, not everyone keeps their mouth shut even though we'd like to think they do.

This is total BS.  First off, think about what you're saying.  If he is risking a 'career ending" injury by playing again, he already had a career ending injury.  Something tells me your "friend" that did break the law is completely FOS.  IF he even exists.

hawginbigd1

Otis has an article about a Graduate transfer RB for anyone who is a subscriber as an FYI

wildturkey8

The last Michigan transfer worked out pretty good.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 05, 2016, 12:07:52 pm
Otis has an article about a Graduate transfer RB for anyone who is a subscriber as an FYI

Different player than the 2 mentioned here?

JackJohnson

absolutely zero risk with potential for unlimited return.  I would much rather this kid get carries next year instead of Evans and Day 

Music City Hog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 05, 2016, 12:07:52 pm

Green

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 05, 2016, 12:14:08 pm
Different player than the 2 mentioned here?
NM I thought that was a statement, I am not a subscriber.

hawginbigd1

CallThoseHawgs

The_Iceman

Quote from: wildturkey8 on February 05, 2016, 12:11:01 pm
The last Michigan transfer worked out pretty good.

Both were former 5-stars.

LR Hog

Quote from: scruf on February 04, 2016, 04:52:25 pm
Immediate eligibility if they join the team. LTT would have 2 years, Green 1.

So they have both graduated or just Green?  Does LTT get immediate eligibility because he was dismissed from team?
Like a boss.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: LR Hog on February 05, 2016, 01:10:43 pm
So they have both graduated or just Green?  Does LTT get immediate eligibility because he was dismissed from team?

They both graduate after this semester

LR Hog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 05, 2016, 01:15:36 pm
They both graduate after this semester

Ok thanks. Was having a hard time figuring it out.
Like a boss.

JIHawg

Are we having serious communication with Mr. Green or is this just internet speculation?

Wildhog

Quote from: JIHawg on February 05, 2016, 02:27:03 pm
Are we having serious communication with Mr. Green or is this just internet speculation?

We've been in contact.  Whether or not something comes of it remains to be seen.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawginbigd1

I wonder if coach Sings was the original/primary contact?

WaltonCollege

Bama's in the market for a graduate transfer RB too. Both Green and Barry Sanders Jr are mentioned.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/graduate-transfer-possibility-running-back/

yraciv

Quote from: WaltonCollege on February 06, 2016, 11:30:28 am
Bama's in the market for a graduate transfer RB too. Both Green and Barry Sanders Jr are mentioned.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/graduate-transfer-possibility-running-back/

Why would Bama ever be in the market for a graduate transfer RB? I know a couple transferred out and Henry left early, but their spring depth chart still looks pretty staked/though it's unproven:
1. Bo Scarbrough - 6,2, 235 - 5 star recruit
2. Damien Harris - 5,11, 205 - 5 star recruit
3. BJ Emmons - 5,10, 232 - high 4 star recruit

They've got a couple other guys on the depth chart that appear to be walkons and maybe 1 more scholarship guy, so I guess they could use 1 more, but still not a lot of slouches. Figure Scarbrough will be the workhorse like Henry next year with Harris & Emmons feeling the Drake roll.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 05, 2016, 02:51:33 pm
I wonder if coach Sings was the original/primary contact?

KA was the first coach to follow him on Twitter. Coach Sing was second. CBB and Enos now

OGR69

Quote from: yraciv on February 06, 2016, 11:48:51 am
Why would Bama ever be in the market for a graduate transfer RB? I know a couple transferred out and Henry left early, but their spring depth chart still looks pretty staked/though it's unproven:

They've got a couple other guys on the depth chart that appear to be walkons and maybe 1 more scholarship guy, so I guess they could use 1 more, but still not a lot of slouches. Figure Scarbrough will be the workhorse like Henry next year with Harris & Emmons feeling the Drake roll.
Saban said he was happy with what he has-but is always looking to add quality players and depth.  Could be because they have NCAA experience-could be to add depth to special teams-who knows.

JackJohnson

Quote from: OGR69 on February 06, 2016, 12:30:04 pm
Saban said he was happy with what he has-but is always looking to add quality players and depth.  Could be because they have NCAA experience-could be to add depth to special teams-who knows.

It's bc he is smart.  Give the scholarship for one year on s guy like this, or someone like Nicholas Thomas smith who has never played and won't play

Granny

For what it is worth, I know one of the coaches for Bishop Lynch and he says RWIII will be good to go next year.  Not sure if his source is Rawleigh or family.

scruf

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 06, 2016, 12:37:23 pm
It's bc he is smart.  Give the scholarship for one year on s guy like this, or someone like Nicholas Thomas smith who has never played and won't play

Everyone knows that NTS' scholarship is for the spring only.

ricepig

Quote from: scruf on February 06, 2016, 01:11:35 pm
Everyone knows that NTS' scholarship is for the spring only.

I think you mean HV assumes it's just for this spring semester.

I doubt Saban is looking at a grad RB.  I think hes still counting his air miles this past recruiting season and though not sure how many so far, he's afraid he might exceed BB's 20K.

scruf

HV expert logic: "Why do we need a one year RB that barely saw the field at Michigan?

[Saban takes interest]

HV expert logic: "We really need this guy because Saban and now our staff is going to whiff because Alabama."

scruf

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2016, 01:13:41 pm
I think you mean HV assumes it's just for this spring semester.

They wouldn't commit to give him a scholarship through the fall with the need at other positions, especially after signing 4 LB and getting Ramsey back as a walk-on. He's semester to semester.

ricepig

Quote from: scruf on February 06, 2016, 01:34:44 pm
They wouldn't commit to give him a scholarship through the fall with the need at other positions, especially after signing 4 LB and getting Ramsey back as a walk-on. He's semester to semester.

Ok, so he was talked back in to playing this year by a one semester scholarship, cool. You are just projecting, we have no idea what he was told.

scruf

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2016, 01:35:04 pm
Ok, so he was talked back in to playing this year by a one semester scholarship, cool. You are just projecting, we have no idea what he was told.

None of us do but what makes more sense, let a healthy body at LB walk OR use a scholarship that's basically house money (due to early departures) in order to have enough bodies at LB for spring ball? You make the call. Of course I'm projecting, I'm projecting the spring depth chart. GHG

ricepig

Quote from: scruf on February 06, 2016, 01:44:50 pm
None of us do but what makes more sense, let a healthy body at LB walk OR use a scholarship that's basically house money (due to early departures) in order to have enough bodies at LB for spring ball? You make the call. Of course I'm projecting, I'm projecting the spring depth chart. GHG

I agree it's a possibility, and may be a probability, but I not sure he talked him back in order to help on special teams with a one semester scholarship. NTS graduated, or will this spring, so we will see.

PorkRinds

I'm drawing a blank on who nts is....

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 06, 2016, 03:18:20 pm
I'm drawing a blank on who nts is....

Nicholas Thomas-Smith, walk on LB from MO.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 06, 2016, 12:37:23 pm

Clearly, you don't know what you are talking about. As that scholarship may only be for the spring.

redeye

Why would Bama ever be in the market for a graduate transfer RB?

Unlike Bielema, Saban likes to keep his running back stable well stocked.  He signs a lot of them and then quickly "processes" those he doesn't think are working out.  For whatever reason, they're somewhat shallow right now, compared to usual, and they missed on some of their targets this year.  While Jacobs (a 3 star) was their 2nd RB for the 2016 class, they already have 3 committed for 2017 (one 5 star and two 4 stars).

redeye

Quote from: Granny on February 06, 2016, 12:44:29 pm
For what it is worth, I know one of the coaches for Bishop Lynch and he says RWIII will be good to go next year.  Not sure if his source is Rawleigh or family.

Thanks for sharing that!

SpineHog

RWIII can expect a little less range of motion through his neck, but has only minimally increased chance of severe injury in comparison to his teammates.

HOGINTENNESSEE

You don't buy anything that is positive so I'm not surprised.

The Boar War

Because if he has him, another team doesn't.

lilRockNDubb

You can add 10 lbs to Scarbrough..

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 04, 2016, 06:50:59 pm
Franking FL!

My disdain for them is growing exponentially.

I hope we beat the brakes off them this coming season!

I've always felt that way about FU.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 07, 2016, 09:57:41 am
I've always felt that way about FU.

...ditto, but, I think I read where Florida's OC is/was Greens old OC at Mich., in '14, so,
that is his interest in the gayters...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...