Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We are who we are.

Started by online-with-swine, February 04, 2016, 08:20:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

online-with-swine

We are a small state that produces little talent compared to others in our conference with a school located far from talent in adjacent states.  We can't deny that we are at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting.  We all know that Fayetteville is a gem of a town and one of the best in the SEC, we see the surprise from recruits and their parents all the time.  But, that isn't enough to overcome time and distance from family, especially when there are more prestigious programs closer to home offering scholarships.

We have a group of great recruiters and coaches.  However, my fear is that they may grow tired of having to recruit twice as hard and coach twice as hard to continually compete when they can go somewhere else with an easier path.  I think CBBs plan may be the only way build our program back up.  Recruit  hard working emotionally mature men and mold them into a team that can out smart and work you as seniors and juniors.  It just takes time and patience but we are getting there.

:razorback:

TX HOG

If Baylor can recruit good, we can. I know they're in a talented state. Just a few yrs ago they were one of the worst programs in all of college football.

Start winning 9-10 games consistently

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: online-with-swine on February 04, 2016, 08:20:20 am
We are a small state that produces little talent compared to others in our conference with a school located far from talent in adjacent states.  We can't deny that we are at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting.  We all know that Fayetteville is a gem of a town and one of the best in the SEC, we see the surprise from recruits and their parents all the time.  But, that isn't enough to overcome time and distance from family, especially when there are more prestigious programs closer to home offering scholarships.

We have a group of great recruiters and coaches.  However, my fear is that they may grow tired of having to recruit twice as hard and coach twice as hard to continually compete when they can go somewhere else with an easier path.  I think CBBs plan may be the only way build our program back up.  Recruit  hard working emotionally mature men and mold them into a team that can out smart and work you as seniors and juniors.  It just takes time and patience but we are getting there.

Hear, hear....

Embrace it!!!
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HOGINTENNESSEE

We were 2 kids away from a top 10-15 class. And we were in their final 3

TX HOG

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 04, 2016, 08:24:54 am

Yep. We start winning we'll start to get those kids plus a few more. Top 15 classes are obtainable

azhog10

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 04, 2016, 08:24:54 am
I call that a moral victory! At least we were up to bat.

online-with-swine

Quote from: TX HOG on February 04, 2016, 08:25:19 am
Yep. We start winning we'll start to get those kids plus a few more. Top 15 classes are obtainable

Exactly, we have to build our prestige and make the U of A a destination.  That requires winning on the field so we can start winning on NSD.

PorkBilly

Finally. Retention and coaching matter.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: PorkBilly on February 04, 2016, 08:32:15 am
Finally. Retention and coaching matter.

They absolutely matter.  Throw in ever increasing talent levels, and we're on to something.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hawgey-Davidson

I hope all members and guests read your post. Makes more sense than most of the the drivel on this topic. Spot on!

DeltaBoy

If Baylor can turn it around so can we.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Razorfox

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 04, 2016, 10:07:20 am
If Baylor can turn it around so can we.

Would/could Baylor have turned it around in the SEC?  I say no. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Razorfox on February 04, 2016, 10:13:18 am
Would/could Baylor have turned it around in the SEC?  I say no. 

Yes they would Art Briles is that good of a Coach.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

onebadrubi

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 04, 2016, 10:16:01 am
Yes they would Art Briles is that good of a Coach.

Ha, no way.  You have taken the bait hook, line, and sinker!  Dig the hook out of your stomach.  Briles loads his schedule in a way that he would never make it through an SEC schedule, he then takes a car salesman pitch to sell it. 

LRHawg

As many have said before, if you draw a 500-mile radius circle around Fayetteville and Baylor, the quality of recruits in those circles will ovbviously stand out against one another. I don't have any beef with Baylor but the corners they're cutting to get ahead in the athletic world are a little disturbing, and I would never send my daughter there, that's for sure.

sylamore

Why? Why does a very small, rural town with largely white demographics like Greenwood, Arkansas regularly produce D1 level players to the likes of UofA and Tulsa with many of their other young men also playing for the smaller in state colleges like Ar. Tech, UCA etc., while at the same time, many of our  larger cities with a larger and more racially diverse player base hardly produce any on a regular basis? Seems like some type of changes need to happen in our state's prep programs in that such a small town can produce several year after year, while larger ones produce hardly any. If larger Arkansas towns and cities produced the same amount of quality players on a per capita basis, as Greenwood does, we would have a much larger home state talent base from which to draw, which ought to make a significant difference. Why is this problem so?

ricepig

Quote from: sylamore on February 04, 2016, 10:19:08 am
Why? Why does a very small, rural town with largely white demographics like Greenwood, Arkansas regularly produce D1 level players to the likes of UofA and Tulsa with many of their other young men also playing for the smaller in state colleges like Ar. Tech, UCA etc., while at the same time, many of our  larger cities with a larger and more racially diverse player base hardly produce any on a regular basis? Seems like some type of changes need to happen in our state's prep programs in that such a small town can produce several year after year, while larger ones produce hardly any. If larger Arkansas towns and cities produced the same amount of quality players on a per capita basis, as Greenwood does, we would have a much larger home state talent base from which to draw, which ought to make a significant difference. Why is this problem so?

Maybe because people aren't moving in to these other areas at the rate of Greenwood?

onebadrubi

Quote from: LRHawg on February 04, 2016, 10:18:46 am
As many have said before, if you draw a 500-mile radius circle around Fayetteville and Baylor, the quality of recruits in those circles will ovbviously stand out against one another. I don't have any beef with Baylor but the corners they're cutting to get ahead in the athletic world are a little disturbing, and I would never send my daughter there, that's for sure.

That is NOT the only corner being cut.  They are putting the football program on a pedastol, allowing the coach and staff to do whatever means necessary to keep the program relevant and viewed by ESPN as a top.  The risk is well worth the reward when the NCAA is the police.  Baylors biggest fear needs to be the NCAA doesn't catch Texas or Texas A&M doing anything bad. 

LRHawg

I'll go ahead and get this out of the way.

LRSD.

PBSD.

The Waltons.

The Stevens.

WMS.

Aliens.

Democrats.

Republicans.

That cover everything?

passinghog

Add more recruiters to the staff. Smith is making inroads in LA. RB coach is still a weak recruiter. On most staffs, that's the best recruiter. So many times, when Arkansas has an opening on their staff, they go for the guy known more as a coach than someone that can flat out get you players. Most coaches in the SEC can coach their position, the ones that can get you studs are the ones that matter most. I'd rather we have half the staff full of guys that are the best recruiters money can buy.

PLHawg

Because there aren't many Rick Jones in the state of Arkansas.  You want to see what good coaching can do, look no further.

dowils

We are who we are, and the Razorback coaches do a fantastic job and I can't wait to win a NC in a couple of years!!!

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2016, 10:18:30 am
Maybe because people aren't moving in to these other areas at the rate of Greenwood?

Maybe Greenwood has better coaches and a better program for developing football players?

Seebs

I'm not who you think I am and I know most of you are what I think you are.

With that,  Arkansas is overachieving considering what I know about most of you.

I am what I am and I got a Yam good deal.

Now go marry Paul Simon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDl3bdE3YQA
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

TDHawgs

Quote from: dowils on February 04, 2016, 11:00:46 am
We are who we are, and the Razorback coaches do a fantastic job and I can't wait to win a NC in a couple of years!!!
Although I love the staff and the direction they are heading, if history is any indicator at all, no one has won a National Championship since the 90's without fielding at least one top 10 recruiting class.  Maybe we can, but not great odds.  We gotta start winning the recruiting war if we are gonna take the next leap. And the excuse is we need to win more games to get a better class, well Texas didn't exactly tear it up this year and they ended up with the 11th ranked class. So that excuse doesn't hope us very well either. I'm happy with the players we got, but lets worry about winning the SEC first before even thinking about National Championship.

upperdeck_hawg

we are who we are. we will never have the talent advantage. it has to be done through good coaching mixed with a little luck. Bobby Petrino proved it. BB will get it done soon.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

sylamore

My point re Greenwood was that if a town of a mere 8700 can regularly produce D1 players, larger towns that are 2-3-4 and up to even 10-20-30 times as large ought also to produce their fair share of players. But in our state they do not. Rate of growth would have nothing to do with it and much of Greenwood's growth has come from annexation rather than folks moving in. And even with said growth, at only 8700, they are still very tiny compared to many other Ark., cities. Coaching is no doubt a large part of it. But it would also seem that program development, community involvement and other things are factors as well.

Somehow, our state needs better overall player development starting at a younger age. That I think is a bigger factor than geographic size, and population. We are behind that compared to all the other states in the SEC. I don't know how it can be changed, but if other states do it so could we. I wish somehow the UofA coaches could successfully address this issue at all the various local Razorback Club engagements, jawboning local town leaders about the  that if they want a good UofA program, local schools and communities need to build better players from the ground up probably starting at Pee Wee and continuing through high school.

TX HOG

We may never crack the top 10 in recruiting. I believe consistent 8,9,10 win seasons we'll get in the 15ish area.

With Fulton, porter, and Cleveland we would've been close. Few more wins a season I believe we'll get those type kids plus 1 or 2 more

hawginbigd1

IMO if the school was located in Texarkana, recruiting would be easier, because we would be closer to the talent. Geography matters, it can be done however it is just harder!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: TX HOG on February 04, 2016, 11:44:30 am
We may never crack the top 10 in recruiting. I believe consistent 8,9,10 win seasons we'll get in the 15ish area.

With Fulton, porter, and Cleveland we would've been close. Few more wins a season I believe we'll get those type kids plus 1 or 2 more
I have said it many times, there is about a dozen schools that we can't beat consistently ever, because of legacy Bama, Auburn, Michigan, and tOSU. And then there are about 8 or so who may have legacy but they also live right on top of all the talent, UCLA, USC, FSU, Texass, Ga., Fla., LSU etc. Our sweet spot is 12 to 18 as for possibilities.

Pork Twain

I am sure most average looking guys/gals don't like being average looking, but not liking it will not make them hot
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Atlhogfan1

This is our program's only true handicap now.  It is why I said Bielema took a big career risk choosing Arkansas as he has a built in disadvantage with no other program in college football facing what we do in terms of the depth of competition from our in conf/division competitors based on their ability to recruit.   From his comments about Florida and OM yesterday, I also think he is still in a learning curve of what it is like to recruit the South vs the upper Midwest or wasteland of Kansas.  I don't know what BB's personal/professional goals are so he may want to see this challenge through as far as he can.  It will have to be done by doing a better job than our comp in evaluating players, retaining them in the program and developing them.  Win consistently and maybe the handicap can be lessened at some point as the brand image grows. 

From the outside looking in, I'm not sure why he wanted the job as I would suspect he could have found other options around that time or shortly afterwards.  I also don't believe he was fully aware of the actual depth he would be facing or what it is like recruiting in this region based on the tactics of competitors.  We know his comments when he was at Wisconsin regarding Oh St recruiting which was nothing at the time compared to what he faces in our region.  But I am glad he is here as he does appear to be a strong leader which is something our program has lacked for a very long time. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jboler96

Baylor has been very good good. They could have done it in the sec

hawginbigd1

Quote from: jboler96 on February 04, 2016, 12:55:32 pm
Baylor has been very good good. They could have done it in the sec
Nice try but No. LOL

LRHawg

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 04, 2016, 12:03:48 pm
When you see hot chicks Top Recruits with average looking guysOle Miss, it's safe to assume the guyguys' rich uncle has a good amount of money.

Fixed that for me.

wildturkey8

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 04, 2016, 10:18:04 am
Ha, no way.  You have taken the bait hook, line, and sinker!  Dig the hook out of your stomach.  Briles loads his schedule in a way that he would never make it through an SEC schedule, he then takes a car salesman pitch to sell it. 
He would do better than you think.

jkstock04

Quote from: TX HOG on February 04, 2016, 08:22:15 am
If Baylor can recruit good, we can. I know they're in a talented state. Just a few yrs ago they were one of the worst programs in all of college football.

Start winning 9-10 games consistently
Big 12 vs SEC.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HogNDas

[I think that is the problem....we do NOT have a great group of recruiters...we got in on Cleveland VERY late IMO...I don't think they'll grow tired when they are not working to develop relationships earlier....]

wildturkey8

Building those relationships takes some time.  We have a good thing going.  We did get Whaley, and that fence is up around the state.

HogNDas

Quote from: wildturkey8 on February 04, 2016, 01:59:38 pm
Building those relationships takes some time.  We have a good thing going.  We did get Whaley, and that fence is up around the state.

[This is his fourth recruiting class....that means every HS player was just finishing 8th grade when he arrived....I think that is enough time, IMO]

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HogNDas on February 04, 2016, 02:04:05 pm
Quote from: wildturkey8 on February 04, 2016, 01:59:38 pm

[This is his fourth recruiting class....that means every HS player was just finishing 8th grade when he arrived....I think that is enough time, IMO]

3rd - He wasn't here to build relationships for the first one.  He is recruiting some places he had not before so relationships do have to be built. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HogNDas

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 04, 2016, 02:09:16 pm
3rd - He wasn't here to build relationships for the first one.  He is recruiting some places he had not before so relationships do have to be built.
[You miss the point....Every HS kid was finishing 8th grade when he got here....THAT is when you start...9th; 10th; 11th, but not their senior hs year.....He was lucky to get Alex, Denver, & Dan for this exact reason...LATE to establish relationships...The coaching turnover hasn't helped us any either....]

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HogNDas on February 04, 2016, 02:13:34 pm
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 04, 2016, 02:09:16 pm
[You miss the point....Every HS kid was finishing 8th grade when he got here....THAT is when you start...9th; 10th; 11th, but not their senior hs year.....He was lucky to get Alex, Denver, & Dan for this exact reason...LATE to establish relationships...The coaching turnover hasn't helped us any either....]

I didn't miss your point.  I don't agree you have a point. 

He had an established relationship with AC from when he was at Wisconsin.  That wasn't luck to get AC.  It was relationship and offense AC wanted to play in that attracted him.  Had BB stayed at Wisc, AC probably would have been a Badger.  South Florida is a place where has relationships. 

Other areas of the South is where he is having to build them. 

TX HOG

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 04, 2016, 01:53:46 pm
Big 12 vs SEC.

It is easier to win in the Big 12, I get that. I believe we have the ability to win 8+ games consistently. When we start doing that the higher profile recruits will want to come aboard. Baylor may be in the big 12, but they've had a huge turn around in the last 5 yrs.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Seebs on February 04, 2016, 11:06:40 am
I'm not who you think I am and I know most of you are what I think you are.

With that,  Arkansas is overachieving considering what I know about most of you.

I am what I am and I got a Yam good deal.

Now go marry Paul Simon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDl3bdE3YQA
I can get lost in your avatar while listening to this song...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

jkstock04

Quote from: TX HOG on February 04, 2016, 02:50:13 pm
It is easier to win in the Big 12, I get that. I believe we have the ability to win 8+ games consistently. When we start doing that the higher profile recruits will want to come aboard. Baylor may be in the big 12, but they've had a huge turn around in the last 5 yrs.
Not necessarily. I saw us win 10 and 11 games...and that subsequently turned into some of the worst recruiting we have ever had. Obviously different coaches, different situation...but it does show that winning isn't the end all be all when it comes to recruiting.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Vantage 8 dude

Sadly one of the problems we have in this state from a recruiting stand point is that many, certainly not all, of our major towns don't really seem to produce that D-1 (SEC in particular) level talent that we can rely on to help at least fill out a solid portion of most of our classes. For instance, while we do get kids from Little Rock's Pulaski Academy and of course this year, Little Rock Christian, when was the last time we really got any kids from Central, Catholic (been several years), Hall, or anyone else? How about Pine Bluff-yes, we get a few from some place like Dollarway; how about Fort Smith and El Dorado? Conway, Texarkana, Jonesboro and other cities could also be included.

My point is that while most of these towns (and others) will occasionally produce kids that are solid candidates, not all that many places produce them on a continuous and systematic basis. I understand that many states will "cycle" from time-to-time and will naturally produce more instate athletes than other years. However, it seems to me that slowly but steadily many of our state's high schools are either not producing the quantity of quality kids the Hogs need or the ones they do produce typically aren't enough to make a large enough nucleus. Couple that with a relatively small population to begin with and this creates an even more difficult challenge.

Athog

You are right on!!

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 04, 2016, 11:03:48 am
Maybe Greenwood has better coaches and a better program for developing football players?

No doubt, thus the reason football players and their families are moving in.

Fatmanhog

Quote from: LRHawg on February 04, 2016, 10:22:06 am
I'll go ahead and get this out of the way.

LRSD.

PBSD.

The Waltons.

The Stevens.

WMS.

Aliens.

Democrats.

Republicans.

That cover everything?
you forgot the Illuminati
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt