Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State of Arkansas class 2017

Started by PLHawg, February 03, 2016, 02:37:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PLHawg

So what does Arkansas 2017 high school crop look like?  Anyone know?

Tsarcasm

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." – Steven Wright

HOGINTENNESSEE

I read it is weak. Which sucks means another year like this season where the coaches half to fight an up hill battle

HogFanFromTheHills

Six three stars in state per 247 and that is it.

moto625

piggie 316

Really big problem is there is no bell cow to go to the opening and the big time events to make connections with other big time players like Agim was able to do. I think he was able to help get some of these big time guys to visit. Hopefully Powell will turn into that guy. I have heard good things about him.

jfred59

Problem in our state and I think most others these days is that most schools play the spread, HUNH offenses and the kids are not taught to the play the brand of football that CBB plays.  Plus a lot of the schools have academic issues and a lot of these kids cant qualify to get in school.

PLHawg

By the looks of things best beef up the recruiting $ next year.  Maybe an extra plane as well.

scruf

Quote from: HogFanFromTheHills on February 03, 2016, 02:48:12 pm
Six three stars in state per 247 and that is it.

Important to remember that spring and summer evaluations haven't come out yet. There will be a few more kids on that list. This time last year there were only about ten kids in the 2016 class that were rated 3* or higher (247 Composite), today there are twenty-three with another seventeen 2*'s.

Give it time. Or don't and just keep freaking out. It's your choice but it is a choice.

The_Iceman

This will be the toughest recruiting job maybe in the history of Arkansas coaching. No instate talent. Ole Miss, a&m, LSU, Florida, Bama, Auburn all bringing is top classes consistently.

If this class ends up Top 40, I'll be happy.

The_Iceman

Quote from: scruf on February 03, 2016, 03:00:41 pm
Important to remember that spring and summer evaluations haven't come out yet. There will be a few more kids on that list. This time last year there were only about ten kids in the 2016 class that were rated 3* or higher (247 Composite), today there are twenty-three with another seventeen 2*'s.

Give it time. Or don't and just keep freaking out. It's your choice but it is a choice.

The 2017 in state class won't be great. Dudley, RD, Otis have been saying this for awhile now.

Its not freaking out. It is a legitimate, well-founded concern.

PorkRinds

I think the state puts out plenty of talent.  Problem is academics. Too much of the talent isn't going to qualify, and has zero chance of qualifying, so they never get recruited.  Pine Bluff has lots of talent, but they all end up either not playing or in JUCO because they can't get academics squared away.  We had kids in state this year that could have been hogs if they had the grades.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 03, 2016, 03:02:37 pm
This will be the toughest recruiting job maybe in the history of Arkansas coaching. No instate talent. Ole Miss, a&m, LSU, Florida, Bama, Auburn all bringing is top classes consistently.

If this class ends up Top 40, I'll be happy.
Hmmm

Polecat

Monta Thomas in Hermitage looks like a good athlete and will likely get an offer
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 03, 2016, 03:07:58 pm
I think the state puts out plenty of talent.  Problem is academics. Too much of the talent isn't going to qualify, and has zero chance of qualifying, so they never get recruited.  Pine Bluff has lots of talent, but they all end up either not playing or in JUCO because they can't get academics squared away.  We had kids in state this year that could have been hogs if they had the grades.

Mississippi has a similar issue except they have greater numbers so more prospects. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

KevinOMReb

Quote from: joshUARK on February 03, 2016, 02:49:55 pm
Little Rock really needs to get its football stuff together...otherwise the Hogs just don't have much of a chance.

LR football hasn't been good since the late 90's and even then nothing like the 70's and before when Central, Hall, Pine Bluff were feeders to Arkansas.  Remember Central went through that awful 0-30 something stretch about 5 years ago.  Arkansas HS football simply isn't producing enough SEC caliber players currently.  Louisiana is but poor Les cannot find a QB there as his missing piece.

Out of state recruiting is of the utmost importance. 

BTW, the 2017 class in Mississippi is lean too.  Strong for about 6 players then falls off fast.  6 players won't keep three NCS teams afloat.  Really will hurt State as they have little national appeal.  Too bad. 
Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb

PLHawg

Quote from: KevinOMReb on February 03, 2016, 03:19:40 pm
LR football hasn't been good since the late 90's and even then nothing like the 70's and before when Central, Hall, Pine Bluff were feeders to Arkansas.  Remember Central went through that awful 0-30 something stretch about 5 years ago.  Arkansas HS football simply isn't producing enough SEC caliber players currently.  Louisiana is but poor Les cannot find a QB there as his missing piece.

Out of state recruiting is of the utmost importance. 

BTW, the 2017 class in Mississippi is lean too.  Strong for about 6 players then falls off fast.  6 players won't keep three NCS teams afloat.  Really will hurt State as they have little national appeal.  Too bad.

And to really succeed at out of state recruiting you almost have to implement alternative $trategies.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Polecat on February 03, 2016, 03:11:03 pm
Monta Thomas in Hermitage looks like a good athlete and will likely get an offer

if he was at a different school... he would already maybe have an offer

HogFanFromTheHills

Quote from: scruf on February 03, 2016, 03:00:41 pm

I'm not freaking out just pointing out its not looking promising. Assumed there would be another round of evaluations come later but didn't know when. Thanks for the info.

Fatmanhog

Means we will have to hit Texas and LA with everything we got.  I know a captain obvious statement.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

secneahog

So we can't throw around any names?? I know ppl has seen some guys play this past year. 
Powell looked good at Fayetteville.

These guys might progress well from a jr to a sr in HS.

names?
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Tim Harris

I'm assuming it will end up like most every year in Arkansas with us signing 6-8 kids from here.

IronHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 03, 2016, 03:07:58 pm

There is some truth to this......

Everyone packed up and moved then wonders why their hometown no longer produces college football players.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 03, 2016, 04:20:57 pm
I'm assuming it will end up like most every year in Arkansas with us signing 6-8 kids from here.

If we sign 8 from Arkansas next year, barring 4 or 5 guys literally blowing up their senior years, then next year's recruiting class is going to be as bad as Petrino's 2010 class.  Hopefully it's more like 3 or 4 and we do a much better job out of State than we did this year.

hei5manhog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 03, 2016, 04:38:17 pm
If we sign 8 from Arkansas next year, barring 4 or 5 guys literally blowing up their senior years, then next year's recruiting class is going to be as bad as Petrino's 2010 class.  Hopefully it's more like 3 or 4 and we do a much better job out of State than we did this year.

Well if we know it and have known it, our coaches do too and have hopefully been spending their time and energy elsewhere.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

hawginbigd1

Dang looking at this it sounds like we better get real enthused about this recruiting class, Have we even offered any of these guys. Powell has an offer from everybody under the sun doesn't he?

piggie 316

Oklahoma doesn't look great either. It may get real crowded in Texas next year.

GoHogzzGo

Is the amount of ranked kids at this one of year normal or low? I know sometimes it takes a bit for the recruiting services to find and rate kids especially in more rural areas.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

jgphillips3

Quote from: hei5manhog on February 03, 2016, 04:44:11 pm
Well if we know it and have known it, our coaches do too and have hopefully been spending their time and energy elsewhere.

I would assume they do.  Hopefully, they learn from their screw ups this year on stingy offers and get more out since we are going to have to rely more heavily on the out of State kids than usual.  Personally, I think they are bright and know they screwed up.  I think we will tweak things, rebound and finish next year where we failed this year.  If we can post 8 or 9 wins, that would be helpful too.

Hogsfan1981

ugh this @#$% is bringing me down. Already been a crap day.

Razorpigg

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on February 03, 2016, 03:37:44 pm

Bingo...he would have.  And I bet with the talent pool instate next year he will get one anyway.

scruf

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 03, 2016, 03:04:19 pm
The 2017 in state class won't be great. Dudley, RD, Otis have been saying this for awhile now.

Its not freaking out. It is a legitimate, well-founded concern.

It's a concern but it's early. Based on early returns I would venture a guess that there will be about 12-16 3* and higher prospects next year and that 6-8 end up on scholarship. About like this year. I agree that it will be a thin year. I think the first to get an offer will be Akial Byers. Maybe Darius Hopkins and Taylor Powell after that. WR Josh Johnson is already committed to Indiana. It's really too early to tell. Summer camps will be critical this year.

scruf

Quote from: piggie 316 on February 03, 2016, 04:51:53 pm

Oklahoma is like Arkansas, pretty lean most years.

Tim Harris

Quote from: scruf on February 03, 2016, 05:20:10 pm
It's a concern but it's early. Based on early returns I would venture a guess that there will be about 12-16 3* and higher prospects next year and that 6-8 end up on scholarship. About like this year. I agree that it will be a thin year. I think the first to get an offer will be Akial Byers. Maybe Darius Hopkins and Taylor Powell after that. WR Josh Johnson is already committed to Indiana. It's really too early to tell. Summer camps will be critical this year.

Is Johnson from that area or just jumped on the first offer he received?

The_Iceman

Quote from: piggie 316 on February 03, 2016, 04:51:53 pm

Only like three 4-stars in the entire state. None in Arkansas. Arkansas coaches will be in Texas and Louisiana a lot next year.

razorhead94

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2016, 11:46:23 am
Only like three 4-stars in the entire state. None in Arkansas. Arkansas coaches will be in Texas and Louisiana a lot next year.

And coach Anderson should hit up the north and mid west to bring in guys.  Might have been a great time to bring him aboard.  Selling the SEC would be pretty easy I would think.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: razorhead94 on February 04, 2016, 11:51:59 am
And coach Anderson should hit up the north and mid west to bring in guys.  Might have been a great time to bring him aboard.  Selling the SEC would be pretty easy I would think.

We need Tretola or Kirkland to show out as a rookie. We're going to have to bring in a lot of linemen from out of state, and we need a rookie to be showing out. Collins having a good season wouldn't hurt either. Alumni performing well in the NFL will lend much more credibility when going after these big-time guys out of state.

Also, winning is good.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

secneahog

I'll watch Har-Ber squad this year better. They have been getting bigger every year. 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

verticalhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 03, 2016, 03:12:06 pm
Mississippi has a similar issue except they have greater numbers so more prospects. 
Arkansas and Mississippi each have a population of 3 million and Mississippi has two SEC schools as well as Southern Miss to compete for their home state recruits.  Alabama has a population of about 4.9 million and has two SEC powers competing for their home state recruits.  Georgia has a population of almost 10 million and only one SEC school (but they do also have an ACC school).  It seems to me that Georgia has the # 1 "home state" recruiting advantage in the SEC.  However, as we all know, Alabama is the 10,000 pound gorilla of college football so they have a national recruiting base.

ricepig

Quote from: verticalhog on February 04, 2016, 01:28:26 pm
It's true that a high percentage of D1 scholarship football players are African American.  If you factor that in, Mississippi is 37%, Georgia is 30%, Alabama is 27% and Arkansas is a little above 15%.  I understand your point but you still must factor in that both Mississippi and Alabama have two SEC schools while we only have one.  Other posters have excellent points in terms of how the quality of high school football in Arkansas has deteriorated over the past 2 or 3 decades.  There are exceptions, of course, but the Little Rock metro and eastern Arkansas do not have the quality that they did in the 70's and 80's.  It's sad for the kids who have great potential that live in these areas.

More than us, anyway.
https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/690929498640896000

Polecat

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on February 03, 2016, 03:37:44 pm

totally agree
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

JaketheSnake

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2016, 01:33:01 pm
More than us, anyway.
https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/690929498640896000
That is from the 2015 recruiting class.  Notice they have Ohio State on Little Rock.  KJ Hill. 

ricepig

Quote from: JaketheSnake on February 04, 2016, 02:17:06 pm
That is from the 2015 recruiting class.  Notice they have Ohio State on Little Rock.  KJ Hill. 

Actually, it is for both the  2014 and 2015 classes.

WooPig90

Quote from: JaketheSnake on February 04, 2016, 02:17:06 pm

Never heard of him

Atlhogfan1

It isn't just about in state for some of our SEC competition but proximity to the region which produces recruits which is Florida/Ga/Carolinas across the Gulf Coast/Bama/Ms/La and into Texas.  Auburn is in a great location from which to recruit.  Ga-N Fl and Al recruits all within a short distance.  A&M and LSU essentially have the same recruiting base.  The we don't have to divide our state thing doesn't really work as Ar doesn't provide much and then you add in our proximity to the most fertile recruiting areas to our competition you should get our issue.  Some point to UK's recruiting.  They have something we don't - close proximity to a fertile recruiting area in Ohio and western Pa. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2016, 02:46:58 pm
Actually, it is for both the  2014 and 2015 classes.
Point was, it is not for the current class.  But yes, you are correct.

Pig in the Pokey

we get a few here and there in state but they don't go to Arkansas.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli