Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's the story on Dylan Hays?

Started by SemperFi, February 03, 2016, 10:43:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperFi

I saw nothing on this young man until it was reported that he had committed to the Hogs. NR by 247 and with walk-ons being more highly rated than he is why the scholarship? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the young man and love it when Arkansas kids get an opportunity to play for the Hogs, but not having seen him play or knowing anything about him why the scholarship? Just curious about the whole situation and hoping someone on here can enlighten me.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

ricepig

I guess you haven't been in the recruiting forum in the last day or two then.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=608682.0

SemperFi

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2016, 10:44:43 am
I guess you haven't been in the recruiting forum in the last day or two then.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=608682.0

I have been and am a regular on here. If you blink threads get buried fast, especially in the last few days. However, thanks for the link
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

onebadrubi

ricepig

Sir Oinksalot

...I think it's safe to say the kids in his conference are glad he is gone.
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

STLhawg

STLhawg

Recent article about him says he will take the next OL scholly that comes available (and that will be no later than January 2017).  So he will be greyshirting for awhile.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 03, 2016, 10:48:00 am
Does he have a highly-regarded little brother?
That would be Purple 8). Sorry, thought you were referring to the old 70s song by one Jimmie Hendrix. ;)

Pork Ranger

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 05, 2016, 05:41:20 pm
That would be Purple 8). Sorry, thought you were referring to the old 70s song by one Jimmie Hendrix. ;)

::) is this the WTH emoji?

onebadrubi

He is currently on the greyshirt plan. He was scouted as a Oline prospect but has had recent talks with the staff about playing either side of the line depending on how his body develops and what not.  I'd expect him to be a guard as does the staff from Dylan and their communications.

kp72204

Why doesn't he have a scholarship now?

ricepig

Quote from: kp72204 on February 07, 2016, 02:09:05 pm
Why doesn't he have a scholarship now?

Holding out until we see the available transfer players, and how it figures in the 85 total number. He's been told he has one starting in January, at the latest.

Wooderson

This is something that pisses me off to no end. I firmly believe that you can build an oline from Arkansas recruits alone that is as good as going out of state and signing some 3 stars and above. 

History has shown our state can produce oline players and compete well with them.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

logand02

Quote from: Wooderson on February 08, 2016, 08:53:35 am
This is something that pisses me off to no end. I firmly believe that you can build an oline from Arkansas recruits alone that is as good as going out of state and signing some 3 stars and above. 

History has shown our state can produce oline players and compete well with them.

Can't. It isn't possible on a year to year basis for a state of under 3 million to produce 3 to 5 starting SEC caliber offensive lineman.

ricepig

Not sure if serious??

hoglady

Why would you be pissed off?
That he may be greyshirting?
Dylan and his family are pretty happy.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

SemperFi

I've got to ask the same question, why pissed? Dylan Hays has an opportunity to earn a scholarship. The ball is in his court and if he's deserving of a scholarship he'll get one. From what I've read he is happy to have this opportunity so your anger makes little to no sense.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: SemperFi on February 08, 2016, 04:57:46 pm
I've got to ask the same question, why pissed? Dylan Hays has an opportunity to earn a scholarship. The ball is in his court and if he's deserving of a scholarship he'll get one. From what I've read he is happy to have this opportunity so your anger makes little to no sense.

If I understand Dylan situation he has a scholarship starting January 2017. So he will start school then and have 5 years to complete 4 years of football from then.

cardinalandwhite

Who's the last lineman from Arkansas that was as good as Tretola? Or Kirkland?
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

BirmingHam

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on February 09, 2016, 09:53:15 am

Travis Swanson

BirmingHam

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on February 09, 2016, 09:53:15 am

DeMarcus Love, Jonathan Luigs, Mitch Petrus, Nate Garner, Tony Ugoh, plus Swanson in last 10 years were drafted. Six OL in 10 years from Ark, not too bad.

jgphillips3

Quote from: BirmingHam on February 09, 2016, 11:48:28 am
DeMarcus Love, Jonathan Luigs, Mitch Petrus, Nate Garner, Tony Ugoh, plus Swanson in last 10 years were drafted. Six OL in 10 years from Ark, not too bad.

Ugoh was from Houston I believe.

BirmingHam

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 09, 2016, 12:21:09 pm
Ugoh was from Houston I believe.

You're right, was going on "from Arkansas" meaning the university.  Ugoh was from Houston.  And these were linemen that were from Ark that were drafted from the UofA not from any other school.

ricepig

cardinalandwhite

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: BirmingHam on February 09, 2016, 11:48:28 am

I was unclear. I apologize. As the post I was quoting was saying that we should be able of field and offensive line of Arkansans, I meant players from the state of Arkansas. You're right, though. We've had a pretty good run of offensive linemen.

Vantage 8 dude

Like so many others on here I'm truly mystified at your being "pissed off" about where any of these are from. While I'd like to see ALL our recruits come from in state every year, it ain't ever going to happen. We don't produce the numbers even in the best years to satisfy the vast majority of our spots. I'm sure that our coaching staff is well aware of what recruits are capable of playing not only on the OL, but elsewhere. Why would they purposely pass up an Arkansas high school player they deem to be truly capable of playing at an SEC level, assuming he meets all the other recruiting standards, just for the sake of picking someone else from outside the state? If they did I'm sure it would be because they had to make a choice/decision as to which kid had the greatest potential.