Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Future at NT position

Started by AugustaHog, August 18, 2017, 04:06:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AugustaHog

I was just trying to figure out what we are looking for in that spot.  I am assuming that Gooden is the NT for this class.  He gets upfield really well and if leaned up 10-15 lbs, he could probably play DE also.  After Bijhon graduates this year, we will be left with Capps, Hays (walk-on converted from the OL), and Marshall, who plays both spots.  This needs to be a key spot in recruiting for us to succeed in the 3-4.  Capps is a beast and Gooden is a really good DL.  I wish we had a big boy from the '16 class to slot in between those two guys.  It is a little unnerving that if we lost Gooden or Capps to injury, we'd be scary thin at that spot, especially with Scott wanting to rotate 3 guys.  If our NT is getting blasted backwards, we will be in a mess.

Bubba's Bruisers

Technically, we don't have Gooden yet.  Some noise that he's not a slam dunk, but he's committed, so will assume we get him.

I assume the goal is to sign 1 NT per class on average.  Jackson, Capps and Gooden would be a good rotation...injuries notwithstanding.  Gooden is a JUCO and isn't Jackson a senior?  If so, may need to get 2 NT's in the 2019 class.  Not sure what Marshall's natural position is.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Pig in the Pokey

marshall has got to be that guy at 318lbs.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HogFoo

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 18, 2017, 04:55:21 pm
Technically, we don't have Gooden yet.  Some noise that he's not a slam dunk, but he's committed, so will assume we get him.

I assume the goal is to sign 1 NT per class on average.  Jackson, Capps and Gooden would be a good rotation...injuries notwithstanding.  Gooden is a JUCO and isn't Jackson a senior?  If so, may need to get 2 NT's in the 2019 class.  Not sure what Marshall's natural position is.
not worried at all about GOODEN.  Dude is solid!   About the future at NT. I figure we'll be going after the 6'2+ 330lb tree stump type guy.  We'll have Capps, Bijohn, this year, next 2 seasons we'll have Capps and GOODEN.  Hogs have been hitting DLine pretty well , and will continue.  Seems like we were on a guy that was 6'6 320lbs or so. Can't think of his name. But, we'll always be going after that type with switch to 3-4. I think we'll find them as well.

Oh and I also very strongly believe we'll get Fulwider.  He's listed at 6'7 250lbs. Could put some weight on him and move him inside , but doubt they do that. He's pretty fierce where he's at now.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Richard Davenport

Marshall has a chance to be a special DL once he puts it all together.

hawgmasta

Let's all pray we stay injury free, NT is very important for the 3-4 switch.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Richard Davenport on August 20, 2017, 08:59:28 pm
Marshall has a chance to be a special DL once he puts it all together.
i think at NG. You?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

KlubhouseKonnected

Hays may well develop into a good NT
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

redleg

I don't see any way Fulwider would play NG. His skill set screams DE all the way. Dude could redshirt, and by the time he is a sophomore, after three years in Coach Herb's weight room, be 6'7" and 285-290 of solid muscle!
Bijhon Jackson is a senior and will start this year. Austin Capps could start the next two seasons, but he will probably rotate with Emmit Gooden. Marshall is about 300-310 lbs with a quick first step, and he could conceivably play NG and DE.
Typically, the NG in a 3-4 defense is big enough (320 lbs +) and strong enough (400 lbs bench +) to plug the middle of the line, often taking on double teams. Jackson and Gooden fit that mold...Capps has slimmed down from last season, but he will easily put on 10-20 lbs of muscle over the next year.
Arkansas is also still recruiting 4* Juco D-Lineman Tayland Humphrey at Hutchinson CC, KS.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Theolesnort

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 24, 2017, 10:32:20 am
Hays may well develop into a good NT
I think you understated that very well. The guy can explode off the line and could develop into something exceptional.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

jackflash

if Gooden comes at NT think we need a DE. Like the kid from Ga both of them

HogFoo

Well.... I didn't think it would happen.. but I'm afraid our loss may not have set well with our juco NT E.Gooden.  I saw on Twitter where he is gonna go with his teammate who is an OU commit already down to Norman this weekend.  In a tweet he is wearing an OU jersey and giving the horns down sign while looking at some of their trophies.  I don't know how recent the picture is.  But, if he is taking a visit, even tho unofficial, what's the differ8between that and what Ford did?  Doesn't look good.  And of course those dumbazz OU fans are eating it up and stuff on Twitter.  Man, that sucks.  Again, his friend is an OL commit says he's just following his buddy down there. So obviously there is some doubt in his mind now.  The hogs better put together some wins!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

ricepig

No need to worry, he'll either sign with us in Dec or another school, lol. I count them as commits when the fax hits the BAC.

HogFoo

Quote from: ricepig on September 13, 2017, 01:10:01 pm
No need to worry, he'll either sign with us in Dec or another school, lol. I count them as commits when the fax hits the BAC.
unfortunately, that's how ya have to be anymore.  It sucks that no one keeps their word anymore.  Especially with soft commits.. i coulsnt imagine telling my wife..." yeah, ill stay married until a better offer comes along." Haha.. but, I get it tho.  It's a dirty business to be in.  Have a few losses , people call for your head.   Is what it is I guess.  Dang it.