Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about John Scott Jr as our D-Line coach

Started by hoghevn, January 11, 2018, 09:02:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoghevn

Given he was our D-Line coach last year, why was he retained?  I know Chavis knows what he's doing but of all the position coaches, that one surprises me given our struggles there of all places.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

PorkSoda

Quote from: hoghevn on January 11, 2018, 09:02:38 pm
Given he was our D-Line coach last year, why was he retained?  I know Chavis knows what he's doing but of all the position coaches, that one surprises me given our struggles there of all places.
recruiting, and as a position coach, he cannot be considered the "cause" of the problems this team had.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Tortfeasor

I would believe that if something needs fixing regarding Scott's coaching, Caldwell would step in a get it done. He and a Chavis go back a ways.

lakecityhog

I seriously doubt that there are a lot of assistant coaches out there that do not know their job, they simply do the job expected of them. Just like Herbert, they gave BB what he wanted.

Chavis will let his expectations be known and his assistants will more than likely deliver. If the guy can really recruit Chavis can teach him what to coach.

Hoggish1

I know Chavis knows what he's doing but of all the position coaches, that one surprises me given our struggles there of all places.

So, you know that Chavis knows what he's doing?  Really?  Flesh that out for us, please...

WaltonCollege

If you watch the full interviews yesterday from Morris and Chavis they explain it.  Apparently he was very open and honest w Morris about the deficiencies of our team. He basically laid it out for them how things were under Bielema and why it didn't work out. They very much appreciated his insight, found it useful, said he is a renown coach and highly regarded by NFL folk and said he knows how to recruit. Hell he single handedly got us Fulwider. Just some reasons he was retained.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

As a family member of someone who played on the defensive line last year I can tell you that John Scott knows what he's doing. Last year was a failure for a few reasons I won't get into right now. His duties have been simplified to DT this season. Look for a change in performance by his unit
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hoghevn

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 11, 2018, 11:51:59 pm
As a family member of someone who played on the defensive line last year I can tell you that John Scott knows what he's doing. Last year was a failure for a few reasons I won't get into right now. His duties have been simplified to DT this season. Look for a change in performance by his unit

Thanks for the feedback.  You and almost everyone else.  I figured there was a specific reason, I was just wondering.  With our D-line so bad last year, I figured there had to be something that rang out with why he was singled out and kept on; as this was not the case in all but one or two other places.  I'd LOVE to hear your "reason's" from your family member who plays; concerning last year.  I bet those are enlightening and interesting to say the least.  Hope you post that info.  Thx again.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

hogs7199

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 11, 2018, 09:30:19 pm
So, you know that Chavis knows what he's doing?  Really?  Flesh that out for us, please...

You are seriously questioning that Chavis "know's what he's doing"?  The man has more than proven himself as one of the best DC's in the country over the last 30 years.  You don't think Chavis knows what he is doing?  Flesh that out for us, please...

ricepig

Sure do, 30 years as a SEC DC proves that.  He's not going to turn water into wine, but he knows how to coach the defense. Whether they can execute it, time will tell.

Wildhog

Just so everyone is working with accurate information, it was Bobby Allen that got Fulwider to flip.  Dude needs a lifetime achievement award or something for all he's done for this program.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Wildhog on January 12, 2018, 08:55:59 am
Just so everyone is working with accurate information, it was Bobby Allen that got Fulwider to flip.  Dude needs a lifetime achievement award or something for all he's done for this program.
Agreed.  That and getting taken to the ground by Bob Petrino.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ricepig

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/jan/11/signees-comment-new-arkansas-coaching-staff/

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 12, 2018, 12:48:18 pm

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/jan/11/signees-comment-new-arkansas-coaching-staff/

Hmm... then several of our local recruiting writers were wrong.  It was reported that Bobby Allen had taken over Fulwider's recruitment.  I'd be interested in hearing the story there.

Thanks for the info. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogindasticks

Last year was his first year out of the NFL to arkansas..he was one of the coaches CBB hired that were NFL coaches to help the line...they didn't retain the backs coach i guess.

PorkSoda

sounds like chavis was a big part of the flip as well, even if he didn't recruit him directly.

I think the name recognition he brings will help in our defensive recruiting.  Its something we haven't had in the past.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 12, 2018, 01:05:44 pm
sounds like chavis was a big part of the flip as well, even if he didn't recruit him directly.

I think the name recognition he brings will help in our defensive recruiting.  Its something we haven't had in the past.

Yup..if he didn't have something to bring to the table....he wouldn't be here now.

Oklahawg

Just because the system didn't work, or the performance was horrible, doesn't mean that a particular position coach didn't execute extremely well the dysfunction handed to them.

Maybe they see a lot of growth potential and want to keep some youth on the defensive side of the ball.

I always liked this guy, not that my opinion means much.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bphi11ips

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 12, 2018, 01:14:27 pm
Just because the system didn't work, or the performance was horrible, doesn't mean that a particular position coach didn't execute extremely well the dysfunction handed to them.

Maybe they see a lot of growth potential and want to keep some youth on the defensive side of the ball.

Chad Morris said he was impressed.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 12, 2018, 01:00:49 pm
Hmm... then several of our local recruiting writers were wrong.  It was reported that Bobby Allen had taken over Fulwider's recruitment.  I'd be interested in hearing the story there.

Thanks for the info. 

Don't know, just was posting what he told that particular local recruiting writer.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 12, 2018, 01:23:00 pm
Don't know, just was posting what he told that particular local recruiting writer.

I mean, it's hard to argue with a direct quote.  I've just read several different articles from different sources that said Allen was the one recruiting him post-Bielema.  This at least makes me feel slightly better about Scott.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogman2

Chad Morris decided Scott is his d-line coach!  That is why he was kept!  He knows better than those posting!

Hogindasticks

If Chavis can add a few ingredients like some of these speedy aggressive ends he looks like he is bringing....it will help the line as well.  If they stress about stopping the ends...makes the line easier to poke holes thru.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 12, 2018, 01:27:48 pm
I mean, it's hard to argue with a direct quote.  I've just read several different articles from different sources that said Allen was the one recruiting him post-Bielema.  This at least makes me feel slightly better about Scott.

Well, technically, Scott was fired, so Bobby went with Morris to see Mincey after Morris was hired, I think he communicated with Fulwider, too. If you believe the Gooden drama, Scott had been the go between in that situation. I have no clue as to what that recruitment is all about, we keep hearing there's more to the story.

jackflash

I feel if Scott had been name earlier we  would got Mincy in the early signing  period

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 12, 2018, 01:33:19 pm
Well, technically, Scott was fired, so Bobby went with Morris to see Mincey after Morris was hired, I think he communicated with Fulwider, too. If you believe the Gooden drama, Scott had been the go between in that situation. I have clue as to what that recruitment is all about, we keep hearing there's more to the story.

Yeah, that's a weird deal.
1909/1964/1965/1977

razorbackfaninar

Literally three years ago LSU and A&M were in a bidding war for his services. He has both played and then coached in the SEC for the majority of his career, and been considered  one of the best defensive minds in football for the last 25 years or so.  It is tiring for people to look at his last three years and question whether or not he knows what he is doing.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 11, 2018, 09:26:58 pm
I seriously doubt that there are a lot of assistant coaches out there that do not know their job, they simply do the job expected of them. Just like Herbert, they gave BB what he wanted.

Chavis will let his expectations be known and his assistants will more than likely deliver. If the guy can really recruit Chavis can teach him what to coach.

good observation.
The rest of the frog.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Hogman2 on January 12, 2018, 01:31:29 pm
Chad Morris decided Scott is his d-line coach!  That is why he was kept!  He knows better than those posting!
Yeah because coaches never make bad hires.

onebadrubi

there will be people mad at

Dwight_K_Shrute

If you've got a young guy like Scott and a vet like Caldwell paired across the line, what's not to like? 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

OLEJACKETFAN

Some Folks are really down on the John Scott hire. I  am new on here so I don't even know the guy! But for those that have never put together a Staff, you don't just pick up the Phone & get everyone you want! Sometimes you blend a Staff that will be great together. Just a thought, but would you want to be a DC and have 3 ALPHA position Coaches backstabbing each other? Im not saying they would do that, just a thought.  Im sure all their abilities were reviewed from Coaching to recruiting. Morris wouldn't have kept him if he wasn't comfortable with his overall abilities. Count your blessings, you have a very energetic Staff that's on the road trying to stop the bleeding or replacing those that defected with other great Recruits!!

PorkSoda

the fact that he was fired and rehired shows that he went through the interview process and was selected because he was the best.

it was not a thoughtless or lazy decision.  he was the guy they wanted.

now that he has his staff, they can get to the business of football.

going to be interesting to see how they finish up this recruiting class, and how things shape up in spring practice.

OLEJACKETFAN

Morris would never make a thoughtless decision. This Man is Driven!! He doesn't know what Lazy is. Yall will see, I would say he will put huge hours into every thing Hog related he does. Im not saying he will have Jimmie Johnson success, but that's who his work ethic reminds me of!

lumphog

HISTORY DAMMIT.  Look at his story. The man has put some of the greatest Ds on the field in the last 30 years

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 11, 2018, 11:51:59 pm
As a family member of someone who played on the defensive line last year... Last year was a failure for a few reasons I won't get into right now.

Then why even poast?  The last part we need some poasts on. C'mon dude don't tease us, there's a lot of time until August we need to kill.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Hogindasticks

Chavis will have his input in all aspects of the defense...the assistants job is to help put his game plan into effect.........lets see how well it happens.  Part of this group was at Tennessee when they were successful.  I see no reason that this can't happen again with the Hogs.

opineonswine

So much more professionalism with this staff.  I'm encouraged.  It's still Arkansas...and we have our limitations but anything is possible.

Hawg Life

^^^ This.. it's shocking that Scott is still here. I think someone else turned us down and he was plan B. Not saying he won't do well, but Allen was handling his recruits for a while.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: opineonswine on January 12, 2018, 08:58:58 pm
So much more professionalism with this staff.  I'm encouraged.  It's still Arkansas...and we have our limitations but anything is possible.

I think that is the problem with the mindset.....We don't have limits.....Nothing that anyone else doesn't have.   Expand your thinking and you will see that there are no limits.  I think that's the way our head coach thinks, and that's why he will succeed here.

sowmonella

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on January 12, 2018, 04:16:35 pm

Then why even poast?  The last part we need some poasts on. C'mon dude don't tease us, there's a lot of time until August we need to kill.

Poast?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

JIHawg

He's won 73% of his SEC games over more than twenty years.  That flesh out enough?

ThisTeetsTaken

CCM is much closer to Petrino as a coach than he is Bielema.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Deep Shoat

I can guarandamntee you our DL will look a ton better with the same players this season.

When your job is to "occupy blockers", you can't make plays.  Chat is wants DL who are disruptive, and the D plays in attack mode.  These guys will be going forward instead of catching OL.
All Gas, No Brakes!

The NewEra

I find it puzzling how many people read this board religiously, but don't read the articles such as the one's posted above, or watch the video interviews so easily obtainable in this electronic age.  Hogville is is a good place for random opinion, but there are so many reliable sources of information available out there.

The NewEra

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 12, 2018, 01:14:27 pm

I'm no defensive expert, but when I was watching games last year it appeared to me our greatest weakness against the run was not our D-line play, but linebacker and safety issues. 

Nashville Fan

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 12, 2018, 03:08:48 pm
the fact that he was fired and rehired shows that he went through the interview process and was selected because he was the best.

it was not a thoughtless or lazy decision.  he was the guy they wanted.

now that he has his staff, they can get to the business of football.

going to be interesting to see how they finish up this recruiting class, and how things shape up in spring practice.
if you like a guy enough to pay out a contract then hire him back you must like something.
Pittman or Bust!

The NewEra

Our former head coach would have been in front of the media 10 times already announcing new coaches to the staff.  CCM didn't care what reporters like those at SEC Country were writing, clamoring for the coaches names to be revealed.  He was busy dotting I's and crossing tee's, while simultaneously recruiting for the 2018, 2019 and 2020 classes.  The big difference we are already witnessing is the former guy was a talker and the new coach is a Do'er.  Morris is going to do things at his pace and on his time line. 

I think we are going to see the bar on our limitations raised by this coach. 

The NewEra

Quote from: Nashville Fan on January 13, 2018, 08:26:01 am
if you like a guy enough to pay out a contract then hire him back you must like something.

I think it's safe to say Morris didn't just settle for Scott.  Just settling for anything doesn't seem to be his MO.

UA1985

You want proof that a guy who has been paid millions of dollars a year to lead SEC defenses for a couple of DECADES "knows what he's doing???" That's per se foolish.