Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do these coaches contracts get fixed?

Started by Drop the Mike, October 04, 2017, 09:45:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Drop the Mike

October 04, 2017, 09:45:25 am Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 12:16:50 pm by Drop the Mike
So if you look at the 3 coaches in the SEC with the hottest seats they are currently (and this seems to change weekly) Bielema, Orgeron, and Butch Jones.

These three men have complied a combined SEC record of 31-67. (BB 10-23, EO 7-24, BJ 14-20)
Compared to a combined buyout of 36.6 million dollars. (BB 15.4M, EO 12M, BJ 9.2M)

How did these three schools get to this place? Are these AD's really that incompetent?

My question is how does the actual negotiating process work? Do these AD's get any 'help' from university lawyers, or any other outside influences? I ask this because it most certainly seems as though these AD's are way in over their collective heads when dealing with these coaches agents. These agents eat, sleep and breathe contracts. They stand to benefit greatly personally by creating the best most airtight contract possible. AD's on the other hand probably spend 99% percent of their time doing duties other than contract negotiations. Does anyone feel that Arkansas is going to get a fair contract when it's representative spends more time at fidget spinner night at volleyball matches than negotiating contracts? I invite you to research Neil Cornrich who is BB's agent. After you do imagine how hard he was laughing after getting BB's contract signed.

How does the playing field get leveled? Is it possible to have the SEC hire a sports agent that would work with each school's AD to negotiate the fine details of each contract? This seems like a good investment considering how many SEC AD's seem to be utterly in over their head when dealing with high profile agents.

rhames

As long as salaries go up, buy outs go up. It's as simple as that. Market value
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: rhames on October 04, 2017, 09:51:37 am
As long as salaries go up, buy outs go up. It's as simple as that. Market value

So you are saying that Orgeron has a market value right now? I would love to know what it is or what other school would be interested.

rhames

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 10:13:19 am
So you are saying that Orgeron has a market value right now? I would love to know what it is or what other school would be interested.

Do you know of a coach that has a contract that has a buyout that doesn't correspond to the amount they make in a year multiplied by how many years they have left on their contracts. It's pretty standard.

We are talking about buyouts to be fired, not fo leave for another job.

And yeah, Orgeron did have a market value to lsu. That's why he got the job.

Are you going to be the one to write the check to Bret? Why are you so angry?

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

BallHog1

OP,
Your grasp of the situation after the fact is brilliant and easily on par with the other "fire the coach, fire the ad, fire someone" crowd here. Its relatively easy to come to the conclusion that someone has no value after they fail to deliver. It's a little tougher on the front end.

The counter argument to your testimony would be to consider the situation where a coach was hired, was successful but wasn't contractually tied to the program through buyouts and salary and left after a year or two for greener pastures. I'm sure everyone would be ok with that  and not blame the coach or the ad for the loss of a great coach.

If you want to play ball with the big boys you have to bring your checkbook. Its part of the system of supply and demand. Hindsight is neat, but it can't be used on the front end.

hawganatic

If one or two ADs were putting these huge buyouts into contracts,  you could call it incompetence or "in over their head."  Since pretty much all schools are doing these types of buyouts now, you can call it.... the standard. 

Honestly with the knee jerk reactions and "gotta have it now" mentality of college football fans, what coach in his right mind would take a rebuild type job without some kind of security?  And if a school has a job opening, it's usually because the previous coach was fired and there is going to be at least a minor rebuild in progress.

onebadrubi

Does anyone still use a Rolodex to fix their contacts?

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 04, 2017, 10:42:21 am
Does anyone still use a Rolodex to fix their contacts?

Nope, I just look to see what time it is on my Rolex......

GolfnHog

Hmmm, the playing field in contract negotiations is already level. There are attorney's, BOT's, and others that sign off on the final contract agreement. We the fans may not like a contract of a coach a couple of years into it but no one left a conference room not knowing what was written and the terms therein.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

ricepig

Quote from: GolfnHog on October 04, 2017, 10:46:08 am
Hmmm, the playing field in contract negotiations is already level. There are attorney's, BOT's, and others that sign off on the final contract agreement. We the fans may not like a contract of a coach a couple of years into it but no one left a conference room not knowing what was written and the terms therein.

Can't be correct, I'm pretty sure those things are wrote on a napkin at the bar.

LRHawg

Coach O isn't getting fired this year. They are already paying Miles 133k or something like that A WEEK. They can't afford to pay two coaches buyouts at once. He'll get at least one more year.

rhames

And for everyone on the fire Bret and his contract is horrible....

The next guy is going to get paid the same or more and have the same or more buyout to fire him........

Drop the Mike

Quote from: BallHog1 on October 04, 2017, 10:25:40 am
OP,
Your grasp of the situation after the fact is brilliant and easily on par with the other "fire the coach, fire the ad, fire someone" crowd here. Its relatively easy to come to the conclusion that someone has no value after they fail to deliver. It's a little tougher on the front end.

So you are saying that a guy like orgeron, who has never even been a coordinator, had a market value of over 3.5 million a year last November when he was hired? I do not agree

rhames

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 11:14:34 am

So you are saying that a guy like orgeron, who has never even been a coordinator, had a market value of over 3.5 million a year last November when he was hired? I do not agree

I mean that's what he got paid.....which is about a million less than the next coasch in the West

And that's what LSU paid him so by definition that's his marker value.

And they may finish last in the West so in a sense they are getting what they paid for 

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 11:14:34 am

He was a head coach for 3.75 seasons.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Drop the Mike

Quote from: rhames on October 04, 2017, 11:16:35 am

I mean that's what he got paid.....which is about a million less than the next coasch in the West

And that's what LSU paid him so by definition that's his marker value.

And they may finish last in the West so in a sense they are getting what they paid for

Thanks for making my point that an inept AD can completely overcompensate a coach by making his market value millions higher than anyone else is willing to spend.

rhames

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 11:34:48 am
Thanks for making my point that an inept AD can completely overcompensate a coach by making his market value millions higher than anyone else is willing to spend.

So what should they have paid him? He was their third choice and is the least paid coach in the sec wes

I did not make any point for you. I just pointed out you have no clue what you're talking about.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 04, 2017, 11:32:04 am
He was a head coach for 3.75 seasons.

He is I believe the worst coach in SEC history by winning percentage. He was 3-21 at ole miss. Don't get me wrong I'm absolutely giddy that LSu hired him.

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

HogPharmer

I came in here expecting a thread on the coaches "not seeing" what our team problems are... Talk about a disappointment...
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: rhames on October 04, 2017, 11:39:05 am

So what should they have paid him? He was their third choice and is the least paid coach in the sec wes

I did not make any point for you. I just pointed out you have no clue what you're talking about.

Based on conference records ,which is hard to find as bad as Orgeron's, I would put Orgeron's market value at 1.7-2.2 mil a year. This is based from two similar coaches in power 5 conferences with similar conference records

phadedhawg

Orgeron restored order to USC when they were spiraling out of control.  Lots of people on the West coast thought he'd earned the job as head coach.  His stock was fairly high  when LSU fired Les Miles.  He seemed like a natural fit and wasn't as expensive as other coaches would have been. 

It seemed like a smart hire, it's just not working out. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 11:34:48 am

Do you think LSu was going to get someone for 1 or 2mil when the rest of the coaches in the division are all getting 4+?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

rhames

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 12:16:17 pm
Based on conference records ,which is hard to find as bad as Orgeron's, I would put Orgeron's market value at 1.7-2.2 mil a year. This is based from two similar coaches in power 5 conferences with similar conference records

He is in the SEC. What is the going rate for an SEC coach?

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 12:23:45 pm
Do you think LSu was going to get someone for 1 or 2mil when the rest of the coaches in the division are all getting 4+?

Exactly.

Drop the Mike

My question is why are incentive clauses only built into contracts to benefit coaches?  Coaches get bonuses for winning conference and national championships, graduation rates and GPA's of players, bowl games, etc...

Why don't universities get incentive clauses to make sure that the coach retains his current market value when the contract is signed? We paid 4 mil a year to BB based off of his impressive accomplishments at Wisconsin, which was a fair market value. We are still paying that market value 6 years later even though his current market value is much less based on his performance here at Arkansas. There needs to be a long term type incentive clause for the university such as in year 5 and 6 of the contract the coach must have a .500 record in conference play for those 2 years or the 15.4 million dollar buyout is reduced to fairer number like 5-8 million.

hogsanity

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 12:16:17 pm

that is not how it works. What is everyone else in the secw making? That is the market. It does not matter what some middle of the road guy is making in the ACC or big12.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 12:26:34 pm
My question is why are incentive clauses only built into contracts to benefit coaches?  Coaches get bonuses for winning conference and national championships, graduation rates and GPA's of players, bowl games, etc...

Why don't universities get incentive clauses to make sure that the coach retains his current market value when the contract is signed? We paid 4 mil a year to BB based off of his impressive accomplishments at Wisconsin, which was a fair market value. We are still paying that market value 6 years later even though his current market value is much less based on his performance here at Arkansas. There needs to be a long term type incentive clause for the university such as in year 5 and 6 of the contract the coach must have a .500 record in conference play for those 2 years or the 15.4 million dollar buyout is reduced to fairer number like 5-8 million.

You are new to the business world, aren't you.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: rhames on October 04, 2017, 12:25:00 pm

He is in the SEC. What is the going rate for an SEC coach?

Orgeron's market value should be right below Barry Odom at Mizzou who makes 2.3 million based on the two coaches conference records

rhames

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 12:26:34 pm

For one of was 5 years ago

For two the whole reason for a termination buyout goes against what you're saying it should be

It's just not the way it works.

311Hog

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 12:29:07 pm
Orgeron's market value should be right below Barry Odom at Mizzou who makes 2.3 million based on the two coaches conference records

you fail to understand or comprehend the power of the rosy finch. pardon the error

Drop the Mike

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 12:23:45 pm

Exactly! thanks for making my point. They hired a 1 to 2 million dollar coach for 4. Which goes back to the AD making a horrible business decision

rhames

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 12:29:07 pm

Odom isn't in the West he also hasn't been around as long as Ed

It's moot anyway. People on message boards don't give "market value " for coaches. The schools who pay them do.

rhames

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 12:31:10 pm
Exactly! thanks for making my point. They hired a 1 to 2 million dollar coach for 4. Which goes back to the AD making a horrible business decision

Stop trying to say that is your point when it wasn't lol

hogsanity

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 12:31:10 pm

No, they hired a coach for 3.5 mil because that is what it costs to hire a coach in the secw. Just because you have assigned some # you think he is worth does not make it so. IF BB leaves today, how much do you think the Hogs are going to have to pay to get someone in here? It would cost at least 3mil to get a current HC from a low fbs or high fcs program.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: rhames on October 04, 2017, 12:32:10 pm

Stop trying to say that is your point when it wasn't lol

My point all along is that these AD's are in over their heads when it comes to these contracts, and you proved it for me by saying that LSU isn't going to pay 1 mil for a coach when everyone else is paying 4. Which is why when Tom Herman balked when LSU offered because of the upcoming Texas opening, Alleva crapped his pants and paid 4 million for a 1-2 million coach in Orgeron

phadedhawg

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 12:36:23 pm
My point all along is that these AD's are in over their heads when it comes to these contracts, and you proved it for me by saying that LSU isn't going to pay 1 mil for a coach when everyone else is paying 4. Which is why when Tom Herman balked when LSU offered because of the upcoming Texas opening, Alleva crapped his pants and paid 4 million for a 1-2 million coach in Orgeron

So every athletic director is incorrect but if they had a guy like you around, everything could be resolved?  The ADs just don't realize how simple it all is bc they are so stupid?

right on

Drop the Mike

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 12:33:49 pm
No, they hired a coach for 3.5 mil because that is what it costs to hire a coach in the secw. Just because you have assigned some # you think he is worth does not make it so. IF BB leaves today, how much do you think the Hogs are going to have to pay to get someone in here? It would cost at least 3mil to get a current HC from a low fbs or high fcs program.

You don't understand. You have to be objective on WHO each school is paying to be their coach, not just how much. The going rate of 3.5 mil is based off of coaches leaving previous schools with high market values. Sumlin, Bielema, Gus, Freeze all came to the West fresh off great seasons at their previous stops. This is certainly not the case with Orgeron.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 04, 2017, 12:38:49 pm
So every athletic director is incorrect but if they had a guy like you around, everything could be resolved?  The ADs just don't realize how simple it all is bc they are so stupid?

right on

An AD is only as smart as his last hire. Pretty sure the Alabama, Clemson, Washington AD's are riding high right now. Look how many people are calling for Long, and Alleva's heads based off of the bad contracts they signed their coaches to

rhames

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 12:36:23 pm

No. Orgeron was a bad hire for LSU. No one's arguing that

You initial argument was about large buyouts. Probably because Bret's is so high but whatever

Now you're  changing your argument to a "LSU is paying orgeron too much " argument cause you were clueless on your first assumption.

All the long trying to save face. Go on.

rhames

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 12:46:08 pm

An AD is only as smart as his last hire. Pretty sure the Alabama, Clemson, Washington AD's are riding high right now. Look how many people are calling for Long, and Alleva's heads based off of the bad contracts they signed their coaches to

As this might come as a sad punch to hogville,  no one worth a damn is calling for longs head.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 09:45:25 am
So if you look at the 3 coaches in the SEC with the hottest seats they are currently (and this seems to change weekly) Bielema, Orgeron, and Butch Jones.

These three men have complied a combined SEC record of 31-67. (BB 10-23, EO 7-24, BJ 14-20)
Compared to a combined buyout of 36.6 million dollars. (BB 15.4M, EO 12M, BJ 9.2M)

How did these three schools get to this place? Are these AD's really that incompetent?

My question is how does the actual negotiating process work? Do these AD's get any 'help' from university lawyers, or any other outside influences? I ask this because it most certainly seems as though these AD's are way in over their collective heads when dealing with these coaches agents. These agents eat, sleep and breathe contracts. They stand to benefit greatly personally by creating the best most airtight contract possible. AD's on the other hand probably spend 99% percent of their time doing duties other than contract negotiations. Does anyone feel that Arkansas is going to get a fair contract when it's representative spends more time at fidget spinner night at volleyball matches than negotiating contracts? I invite you to research Neil Cornrich who is BB's agent. After you do imagine how hard he was laughing after getting BB's contract signed.

How does the playing field get leveled? Is it possible to have the SEC hire a sports agent that would work with each school's AD to negotiate the fine details of each contract? This seems like a good investment considering how many SEC AD's seem to be utterly in over their head when dealing with high profile agents.
I'm with you...  Coaching contracts are out of control.  It's a significant part of what drives fans' unreasonable expectations.  There's too much at stake in college athletics.

-  Proven head coaches don't leave a secure job without a secure compensation package.

-  Once successful at a particular school, the coach "earns" a ridiculous compensation package because the university fears he will jump ship - which, for a variety of reasons, is more likely an issue at some universities than others.

Beyond athletics, executives everywhere have managed to contractually protect themselves.  This is why I laugh at the idea that any particular school will struggle to find a head coach.  These are premium jobs - no matter how difficult.

Personally, I'm waiting for an AD to get some balls by paying a guy what he's truly worth - maybe $1M to start.  College fans are helplessly devoted to their institutions, not the men coaching them.  There are unique exceptions, but we mostly will pay stupid money because we want our university to be successful - we're not interested in making coaches rich.

Many will correctly argue that the two are inseparable.  And while true, the better question is what is the greater influence upon success - coach or university?  The Michigan job is worth $$$$ simply because it is Michigan.  The man at Wyoming is worth $ simply because it is Wyoming.

Time to turn the table on these guys.  I'd find a guy who shows great promise and pay him a fair wage.  If successful, then reward him accordingly.

Starting at a huge figure at Arkansas is not a formula for success.  The last two hires at Oklahoma have been assistant coaches.  Stoops earned a fortune.  We'll see how well the current guy does.

People may be mad at Jeff for giving Bret a golden parachute.  Based upon where Bret came from, what he inherited and the apparent direction of the program at the time of the deal was restructured, that's what Jeff thought was necessary to protect the program.  Having a huge buyout tells recruits the program is in good hands and that the guy recruiting him is going to be there a while.

It's easy to point fingers in year 5 when things don't look as many hoped.  I'm of the opinion that you can't buy success at Arkansas - it must be earned.

Good conversation OP.

hogsanity

Quote from: ArkansasI on October 04, 2017, 01:07:44 pm
I'm with you...  Coaching contracts are out of control.  It's a significant part of what drives fans' unreasonable expectations.  There's too much at stake in college athletics.

-  Proven head coaches don't leave a secure job without a secure compensation package.

-  Once successful at a particular school, the coach "earns" a ridiculous compensation package because the university fears he will jump ship - which, for a variety of reasons, is more likely an issue at some universities than others.

Beyond athletics, executives everywhere have managed to contractually protect themselves.  This is why I laugh at the idea that any particular school will struggle to find a head coach.  These are premium jobs - no matter how difficult.

Personally, I'm waiting for an AD to get some balls by paying a guy what he's truly worth - maybe $1M to start.  College fans are helplessly devoted to their institutions, not the men coaching them.  There are unique exceptions, but we mostly will pay stupid money because we want our university to be successful - we're not interested in making coaches rich.

Many will correctly argue that the two are inseparable.  And while true, the better question is what is the greater influence upon success - coach or university?  The Michigan job is worth $$$$ simply because it is Michigan.  The man at Wyoming is worth $ simply because it is Wyoming.

Time to turn the table on these guys.  I'd find a guy who shows great promise and pay him a fair wage.  If successful, then reward him accordingly.

Starting at a huge figure at Arkansas is not a formula for success.  The last two hires at Oklahoma have been assistant coaches.  Stoops earned a fortune.  We'll see how well the current guy does.

People may be mad at Jeff for giving Bret a golden parachute.  Based upon where Bret came from, what he inherited and the apparent direction of the program at the time of the deal was restructured, that's what Jeff thought was necessary to protect the program.  Having a huge buyout tells recruits the program is in good hands and that the guy recruiting him is going to be there a while.

It's easy to point fingers in year 5 when things don't look as many hoped.  I'm of the opinion that you can't buy success at Arkansas - it must be earned.

Good conversation OP.

But you are just setting a number based on what YOU think a guy is worth. Right now the market in the secw is at least 3.5mil, so anyone taking one of those jobs is going to expect such. You are not going to bring a guy into a secw job and get him for 1mil. As with most topics here, this one is not grounded in reality. 

Drop the Mike

Quote from: rhames on October 04, 2017, 01:01:16 pm

No. Orgeron was a bad hire for LSU. No one's arguing that

You initial argument was about large buyouts. Probably because Bret's is so high but whatever

Now you're  changing your argument to a "LSU is paying orgeron too much " argument cause you were clueless on your first assumption.

All the long trying to save face. Go on.

Just trying to make the point that these AD's are in over their heads with these buyouts and something needs to change to allow universities some Lee way when accessing coaches down the road. LSU can't fire O because they are still paying miles, and Johnnie jones.

I get that you're ok with Bielema's contract. It's just that I'm not, I think the contracts need to be tweaked some to incorporate more incentive for wins from a university standpoint. I'd be willing to bet no up and coming coach would have a problem with a reduced buyout in year 5 and 6 of his contract if he was below .500 in the league those two years.

Does it not bother you that bielema has zero negative financial consequences if he never wins another football game at arkansas? He could sleep late everyday, put next to zero effort recruiting, and get blown out by 50 points and the university is still obligated to pay him his full buyout? Because short of pulling a pitino or petrino he's guaranteed his money.

radar

There are a lot of young assistant coaches, and head coaches at smaller schools who are anxious to prove themselves at the higher level. I am sure many of them would be willing to take on the challenge of the sec without the crazy contracts and buyouts we are seeing now.
The sad thing for us and the other schools is that these young hungry coaches would probably do a better job than the high dollar retreads.

rhames

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 01:29:12 pm
Just trying to make the point that these AD's are in over their heads with these buyouts and something needs to change to allow universities some Lee way when accessing coaches down the road. LSU can't fire O because they are still paying miles, and Johnnie jones.

I get that you're ok with Bielema's contract. It's just that I'm not, I think the contracts need to be tweaked some to incorporate more incentive for wins from a university standpoint. I'd be willing to bet no up and coming coach would have a problem with a reduced buyout in year 5 and 6 of his contract if he was below .500 in the league those two years.

Does it not bother you that bielema has zero negative financial consequences if he never wins another football game at arkansas? He could sleep late everyday, put next to zero effort recruiting, and get blown out by 50 points and the university is still obligated to pay him his full buyout? Because short of pulling a pitino or petrino he's guaranteed his money.

Good for him. As are most coaches that are coaching at that level. He also doesn't want to get fired so I'm sure that is a motivating factor in him trying to get the job done.

Like I said, the next guy is going to have the same deal with the same buyout. As salaries go up so do buyouts. If the bubble gets too big it will deflate. There is nothing you or I can do about it. It's just the business.

I mean I'm not going to have to write a check to make him go away, are you?

You're mad that Bielema isn't winning enough and you're taking it out on the contract which is kind of funny because if he doesn't get to 6 wins he will probably be paid 15MM to go away.

hogsanity

Quote from: radar on October 04, 2017, 01:44:06 pm
There are a lot of young assistant coaches, and head coaches at smaller schools who are anxious to prove themselves at the higher level. I am sure many of them would be willing to take on the challenge of the sec without the crazy contracts and buyouts we are seeing now.
The sad thing for us and the other schools is that these young hungry coaches would probably do a better job than the high dollar retreads.

That is quite possible. The only thing there is which school is going to bite the bullet and hire someone no one has ever heard of to some in and try to compete with Saban? Imagine for a moment that BB is gone after this year and the Hogs hire the HC from, lets say, Marshall. Or the OC from San Diego St. Can you imagine the uproar. The " Is this truly the best we could get " type of stuff?

rhames

Quote from: radar on October 04, 2017, 01:44:06 pm

This board is going to go insane if Bielema is fired and we get one of those coaches......

And guess what? They will most likely demand a 4MM salary with a buyout that will pay the remainder of their contract if they are terminated early.

Your logic is flawed.