Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Stoerner never fumbles, does Arkansas win the National Title?

Started by Sweet Feet, February 03, 2018, 04:43:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

I always wondered if Arkansas would have beaten Tennessee, the chances of a Title run would have been great. Of course i didn't factor in playing Miss St and if that was a win, a rematch with Tennessee in the SEC title game. If Stoerner never fumbles, do you think Arkansas would have at least had a good shot at a national title in 1998?

JS22

Still would've had to beat Tennessee a second time, which would've been tough.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: JS22 on February 03, 2018, 04:46:29 pm
, and Florida State. AND that Mississippi State game more than likely.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jneal56

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 03, 2018, 04:43:51 pm
I always wondered if Arkansas would have beaten Tennessee, the chances of a Title run would have been great. Of course i didn't factor in playing Miss St and if that was a win, a rematch with Tennessee in the SEC title game. If Stoerner never fumbles, do you think Arkansas would have at least had a good shot at a national title in 1998?

Nope....lost to MSU and then Michigan. Think it's pretty safe to say the magic would have ran out at the SECCG. I could be wrong but pretty certain I'm not!
"At least we are moral"

Sed76

porkurina

If Stoerner never has his foot stepped on, would he have fumbled?

hoglady

Quote from: porkurina on February 03, 2018, 05:05:06 pm

Exactly - everyone always blames Stoerner alone for that.
It was just a freak play.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

jgphillips3

I doubt we would have won the title but we would have beaten MSU since, in essence, the factors that caused us to lose (such as the suspended kicker) would never have happened.  I think we would have either lost the Tennessee rematch or lost the national title game. 

HiggiePiggy

Who was our head coach........No

We lost the very next week to Mississippi State.

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hoggusamoungus

The title should read - If Joe Dean Davenport catches the tight end screen, does Arkansas win the National Title? 

Perfect play call that would have sealed the game and the fumble never happens.

str8volfan

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on February 03, 2018, 05:18:29 pm
The title should read - If Joe Dean Davenport catches the tight end screen, does Arkansas win the National Title? 

This.

jdlew

Quote from: porkurina on February 03, 2018, 05:05:06 pm

No...Burlsworth got blown up on the play and to Stoerner's credit..he always takes the high road about the fumble..

oldbooniehog

No.

Arkansas would have still found a way to blow it.

That's what Arkansas does best.

Get to the edge of greatness, and then blow it.

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

rtr

I sure would have liked to have found out the answer to OP's questions.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

kp72204

SSFrazorback

If you touch the ball to the ground isn't it a dead ball at that point?

Flrazrback

Wasn't Clint's fault, it was a broken play. Ball just happened to come loose. We had a good season though. Looking forward to the future.

Steef

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: kp72204 on February 03, 2018, 06:14:42 pm
If fish doesn't fumble in end zone, do we win sec?

Probably not.  Nutt was still coaching that night.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

twistitup

Just say no fumble...we win NC - Would HDN still be here?

EastexHawg

I am ashamed of the fit I threw at the end of that game.  My wife left the house to get away from it.  Before she left I told her I had waited almost 30 years, since the '69 Big Shootout, for another chance at a national championship...and that I would be dead before it happened again.

I was almost proven wrong in 2011.

BigE_23

Quote from: hoglady on February 03, 2018, 05:06:21 pm

The Tenner defender made a great move bull-rushing Burlsworth into the backfield. You have to give credit where it's due...and yes - the rest was just a typical "Arkansas is snake-bit" freakish kind play.

EastArkHog 47

Beating FSU would have been almost easy, beating Tenner again not so much.

ALLVOL

Quote from: BigE_23 on February 03, 2018, 08:20:27 pm
The Tenner defender made a great move bull-rushing Burlsworth into the backfield. You have to give credit where it's due...and yes - the rest was just a typical "Arkansas is snake-bit" freakish kind play.
You're exactly correct.

kodiakisland

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 03, 2018, 05:12:12 pm
Who was our head coach........No

We lost the very next week to Mississippi State.

Yeah, because of the way we lost that game.  I can still remember how sick everyone was for the whole week.  Had we won that game, we would have gone to the SEC Championship game undefeated and most likely lost, so no, I don't think we would have won a NC, but we would have ended the season 13-1.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: twistitup on February 03, 2018, 07:27:31 pm
Just say no fumble...we win NC - Would HDN still be here?

With a title ring Nebraska would have paid the necessary $$$ to get him.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

orvillesghost

no

MSU would have got us the next week or Tenn would have waxed us in the SEC title game..or both

rljjr

We beat Tenner and there is no way we lose to MSU the next week. You can't discount momentum. Now, do we win the rematch with Tenner in the CG? Don't know. But if we did we would have won the title ... no doubt in my mind. It was going to be us or Tenner.   They got it.

twistitup

Quote from: rljjr on February 04, 2018, 07:46:03 am
We beat Tenner and there is no way we lose to MSU the next week. You can't discount momentum. Now, do we win the rematch with Tenner in the CG? Don't know. But if we did we would have won the title ... no doubt in my mind. It was going to be us or Tenner.   They got it.

Say it was us...we win the rematch.

What happens to Hootie after that - would he still be coach or AD?

jjdlc

I have always felt like the MSU loss was largely from the hangover from the heartbreaker at Tenner.  And the kicker, Lattorete (sp?) being suspended after a DUI, who knows maybe he doesn't drink and drive if we win.  We beat MSU if he is active.  Anyway, I'm just saying, I think the MSU game is very different if we beat The Vols.  Who knows after that.

SamBuckhart

Will never know. Hate Tenner. Just like if Randy Peshel drops the squirrel pass from slick street. Do we win NC in 69? :puke:
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Pig in the Pokey

it was 100% on HOUSTON DALE NUTT< playcaller. A rollout naked ??!! WHY??
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on February 03, 2018, 05:18:29 pm

he called that paly, brotha. Unfortunately, he also called a QB naked rollout when he should have ran the damn ball.

HoggyCat

If Atwater holds on to that interception...

If we don't let UCLA get out to such a big lead...

If refs didn't screw us in (insert year here, '69 for starters).....

If we could've beaten LSU in '06....

UofA.  University of Almost.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Hoggish1

Quote from: JS22 on February 03, 2018, 04:46:29 pm

Uh, no, they would have had to beat us twice, which would have been tougher.

TebowHater

Hogwop

It was like the definition of Razorback Football in one play
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

twistitup

Steef

Quote from: twistitup on February 04, 2018, 05:36:43 pm
Where would Houston be?

Right where he currently is. Regardless of where he might have climbed to in 99 (after a win), the same HDN that drove us & Ole Miss into the ground would have surfaced eventually.

Hogwop

Quote from: twistitup on February 04, 2018, 05:36:43 pm
Where would Houston be?

He'd be loved by 75% of the state and probably have his ass parked up in the AD office, no matter how bad he did after that. Hell there'd probably be a statue.

I just threw up in my mouth a little
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.

Bubba's Bruisers

Houston was never going to win any type of championship.  Regardless of Stoerner or Fish.

😂!!

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: rljjr on February 04, 2018, 07:46:03 am

That Tennessee loss was so emotionally devastating because of the notoriety of the game, and our story up to that point. And because of the freak fumble.

However, what most forget is how costly the Miss State loss was. THAT was the one that ended any title hopes. That loss kept us from the rematch with Tennessee. Instead, Miss State won the West.

As mentioned here, there probably IS something to the momentum point...did we not recover enough from the disappointing loss in Knoxville?* If we hang on and beat the Vols, do we keep rolling all the way to the SEC Championship game? But that's not how it went. Miss State was a decent team, but they had 2 SEC losses (one to LSU). They went to Atlanta because of their head-to-head win over us.

*And many people here know the uncanny, almost supernatural, Nutt stat—in his time at Arkansas, he ALWAYS lost the game immediately after our first SEC loss. It started THIS year, his first year.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

razortrack

Blah blah blah. What could have been if only!!!!  Blah blah blah

Hogwop

Quote from: razortrack on February 05, 2018, 01:53:47 am
Blah blah blah. What could have been if only!!!!  Blah blah blah

Yeah! God forbid people come to a message board and talk about things!
Pigga what?!