Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CFB Coaching Openings

Started by WilsonHog, October 12, 2015, 06:16:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

October 12, 2015, 06:16:12 pm Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 07:20:32 am by Doug
Ball State - Pete Lembo (Maryland ST Coord). IN - Mike Neu (QB, New Orleans Saints).

Bowling Green - Dino Babers (Syracuse). IN - Mike Jinks (RB, Texas Tech).

BYU - Bronco Mendenhall (Virginia). IN - Kalani Sitake (DC, Oregon St.).

Central Florida - George O'Leary (Resigned). IN - Scott Frost (OC, Oregon).

East Carolina - Ruffin McNeill (Fired). IN - Scottie Montgomery (OC, Duke).

Georgia - Mark Richt (Fired). IN - Kirby Smart (DC, Alabama).

Georgia Southern - Willie Fritz (Tulane). IN - Tyson Summers (DC, Colorado St.).

Hawaii - Norm Chow (Fired). IN - Nick Rolovich (OC, Nevada).

Illinois - Tim Beckman (Fired). IN - Bill Cubit (Interim, Illinois).

Illinois - Bill Cubit (Interim tag removed Nov. 28th, 2015. Fired on Mar 5th, 2016). IN - Lovie Smith (HC, Tampa Bay Bucs)

Iowa State - Paul Rhoads (Fired). IN - Matt Campbell (HC, Toledo).

Maryland - Randy Edsall (Fired). IN - D.J. Durkin (DC, Michigan).

Memphis - Justin Fuente (Virginia Tech). IN - Mike Norvell (OC, Arizona St.).

Miami - Al Golden (Fired). IN - Mark Richt (HC, Georgia).

Minnesota - Jerry Kill (Retiring). IN - Tracy Claeys (Asst., Minnesota)

Missouri - Gary Pinkel (Retiring (Health Reasons)). IN - Barry Odom (DC, Missouri).

North Texas - Dan McCarney (Fired). IN - Seth Littrell (OC, North Carolina).

Rutgers - Kyle Flood (Fired). IN - Chris Ash (Co-DC, Ohio St.).

South Carolina - Steve Spurrier (Retired). IN - Will Muschamp (DC, Auburn).

Southern Mississippi - Todd Monken (Tampa Bay Bucs OC). IN - Jay Hopson (HC, Alcorn State).

Syracuse - Scott Shafer (Fired). IN - Dino Babers (HC, Bowling Green).

Texas State - Dennis Franchione (Retired). IN - Everett Withers (HC, James Madison).

Toledo - Matt Campbell (Iowa St.). IN - Jason Candle (OC, Toledo).

Tulane - Curtis Johnson (Fired). IN - Willie Fritz (Georgia Southern).

USC - Steve Sarkisian (Fired). IN - Clay Helton (Interim, USC).

ULM - Todd Berry (Fired). IN - Matt Viator (McNeese St.).

UTSA - Larry Coker (Resigned). IN -

Virginia - Mike London (Resigned). IN - Bronco Mendenhall (HC, BYU).

Virginia Tech - Frank Beamer (Retiring). IN - Justin Fuente (HC, Memphis).

tophawg19

i thought Edsall would get to finish out the season
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Dwight_K_Shrute

Coaching search season is my second favoritest time of year. North Texas would be a great landing spot for Gus. I'm calling an underrated Doc Holliday to MD and USC has to be the front runner for Chip Kelly but I could see SC-e entering the mix
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Looks like this list needs updating. Any AD worth his salt should have HDN on his short list
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Doug

There's actually FIVE openings right now at FBS.... the first one was done back in August.

Illinois - Tim Beckman (fired)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

WilsonHog

Quote from: Doug on October 12, 2015, 11:13:43 pm
There's actually FIVE openings right now at FBS.... the first one was done back in August.

Illinois - Tim Beckman (fired)

Corrected. Thanks!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 12, 2015, 06:25:12 pm
i thought Edsall would get to finish out the season

Me too.

My Wife a UNT grad and we not won consistently since Coach Dickey was at UNT.

North Texas
When hired to lead the Mean Green in 1998, Darrell Dickey took over a football program which hadn't had a winning season since 1994. In his fourth season at the helm, Dickey's Mean Green won a share of their first Sun Belt Conference title and played in the first of their four consecutive New Orleans Bowls. From 2001–2004, Dickey led UNT to four consecutive Sun Belt Conference titles.

From 2001-2005, Dickey's North Texas teams won 26 consecutive Sun Belt Conference games, a streak that began on October 13, 2001 with a 24-21 win over Middle Tennessee State and ended on October 4, 2005 with a 13-10 loss to Troy University.

During his tenure, Darrell Dickey led the UNT to high profile wins over Big 12 schools Texas Tech (1999) and Baylor (2003). Additionally, the Mean Green posted a 2–1 record against Boise State during his time in Denton. In 2002, he guided the Mean Green to a victory over CUSA Champion Cincinnati in the New Orleans Bowl.

After two consecutive losing seasons in 2005 and 2006, Dickey was fired. North Texas paid out the remaining years on his contract.

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

SemperHawg

You gotta think Golden at Miami is going to get added to that list at some point.

scruf

Quote from: SemperHawg on October 13, 2015, 10:58:28 am
You gotta think Golden at Miami is going to get added to that list at some point.
Yeah, how is that guy still around?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: scruf on October 13, 2015, 12:42:14 pm

If you look at it objectively it's simple.  He is in his 5th year.  Through 4 years he is 16-16 in conference play.  The first two of those years he was under NCAA sanctions, could not go to bowl game or compete for conference title.

Then look at how long it had been before Golden that Miami had had major success (a 10 or more win season).  You have to go back to 2003.  Regardless of NCAA sanctions Miami was on a downward trajectory long before Golden got there.  Randy Shannon's conf record over 4 years?  16-16

So Golden took on a rebuild and was further hampered by NCAA sanctions.

If we compare that to our own situation, our last 10 win or more season was 2011, so Bielema took over only 2 years removed from that.  We had a bad interim year but no NCAA sanctions.  The worst Golden ever did in conference was 3-5.  The best Bielema has done so far is 2-6.  Even if Bret goes 4-4 this year and 8-0 next year in conference his 4 year conference record would be 14-18, and that's with the benefit of an undefeated season.

If the claim for Bielema is it's a slow rebuild which I believe it is, then why say shouldn't an Al Golden be given the same benefit of the doubt, especially hampered by NCAA investigation and sanctions that he had no part in causing.

The only thing Miami has going for it is it's location and a long since faded tradition.  Recruiting is much harder because everyone recruits Florida hard now, and Florida has had an explosion of FBS schools in the last 20 years, UCF, USF, FAU, FIU

micali

Quote from: Tom Bennett on October 12, 2015, 06:16:12 pm
Illinois - Tim Beckman (Fired). IN -

Maryland - Randy Edsall (Fired). IN -

North Texas - Dan McCarney (Fired). IN -

South Carolina - Steve Spurrier (Resigning ). IN -

USC - Steve Sarkisian (Fired). IN -

The ball coach may still coach some high school football He said. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Memphis coach should get a call from someone.....dude is working miracles.

PP

hogcard1964

Quote from: SemperHawg on October 13, 2015, 10:58:28 am

Helfrich could be next

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm

Cave City Joe

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 14, 2015, 12:56:53 pm
Helfrich could be next

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm
Don't think much of that list right now.  They have CBB at #8.  With a 15 million buyout he ain't going nowhere no matter what our record ends up.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

moses_007

Quote from: Cave City Joe on October 14, 2015, 08:41:09 pm
Don't think much of that list right now.  They have CBB at #8.  With a 15 million buyout he ain't going nowhere no matter what our record ends up.
Bielema is only on the hot seat at Hogville. 

... but NOT with Jeff Long.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Cave City Joe on October 14, 2015, 08:41:09 pm

I agree with this.  ...at least through this season.

DeltaBoy

Our currant Coach is no where in this conversation. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Inhogswetrust

October 15, 2015, 01:03:23 pm #17 Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 04:48:30 pm by Inhogswetrust
Funny how some are skewering Spurrier (and others when they do it) for quitting during the season yet they have no problem with a school firing them during the season..............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogs, standing with them in defeat, you are correct.  How about paying them in defeat, at least the coaches.  This is a business and by business standards, its a complete failure.

HogPharmer

Quote from: scruf on October 13, 2015, 12:42:14 pm

Must have a $15 million dollar buyout or something crazy....
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

tophawg19

i think you might as well add Strong to that list . he didn't get a real good vote of confidence from U T even with the oklahoma win. sounded like a wait and see with another bad loss being the deciding factor
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Kyle Bradley Adams

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 15, 2015, 01:03:23 pm
Funny how some are skewering Spurrier (and others when they do it) for quitting during the season yet they have no problem with a school firing them during the season………………………...
I disagree....players accept praise and scholarship win or lose .... Coaches get paid win or lose... But if I as an alumni member to the Institution of Arkansas somehow am dissatisfied with a player and he is benched or after a coach can not get the job done the right time for the move is when you recognize the move is a reasonable/only solution. Mid season or not. Spurrier quit but it does not make him wrong in the conclusion that SC is better to move forward fresh rather than watch a season long narrative how the OLE Ball Coach is losing his capicity to perform his duties.... Lastly I don't stand with anyone when they win or lose... The whole purpose for their existence is to Serve the school population and Alumni... with no fans in The stands who care who's coaching or playing... I did not play a down or coach a play. .... Did u?.... And I worked for the football team as work study.... How close u bn?

jdelo77

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 16, 2015, 06:37:26 pm
i think you might as well add Strong to that list . he didn't get a real good vote of confidence from U T even with the oklahoma win. sounded like a wait and see with another bad loss being the deciding factor

Did you not see the piece on game day last weekend ? Seems that strong has full support

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kyle Bradley Adams on October 16, 2015, 09:02:43 pm
I disagree....players accept praise and scholarship win or lose .... Coaches get paid win or lose... But if I as an alumni member to the Institution of Arkansas somehow am dissatisfied with a player and he is benched or after a coach can not get the job done the right time for the move is when you recognize the move is a reasonable/only solution. Mid season or not. Spurrier quit but it does not make him wrong in the conclusion that SC is better to move forward fresh rather than watch a season long narrative how the OLE Ball Coach is losing his capicity to perform his duties.... Lastly I don't stand with anyone when they win or lose... The whole purpose for their existence is to Serve the school population and Alumni... with no fans in The stands who care who's coaching or playing... I did not play a down or coach a play. .... Did u?.... And I worked for the football team as work study.... How close u bn?

I'm an Alum also, as well as my wife and son. Knew quite a few players. Friend of Dan Hampton and others. My cousin is married to one of the Baum's. I have worked for someone on the Board at the Foundation. I know Dean Webber. Heck my ex girlfriend married one of his former assistants. Actually knew more basketball players though. All that being said IF the players wan the coach out mid season then so be it. IF the fans want him out then so be it. IF the coach wants to renege on his commitment to players during the most important part of the year all the while telling them to keep trying harder and harder then BIG problem. Coaches never like a quitter during games in the season so they should not quit themselves unless there is a dang good reason.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

I am wondering if the Ole Ball Coach is hiding some major health issue.

Wild Bill Hog

Didn't realize Franchione was still coaching.

atlrazorback

Quote from: moses_007 on October 15, 2015, 01:40:24 am
Bielema is only on the hot seat at Hogville. 

... but NOT with Jeff Long.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

Murr

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 15, 2015, 01:03:23 pm
Funny how some are skewering Spurrier (and others when they do it) for quitting during the season yet they have no problem with a school firing them during the season..............................

If the school decides to fire a coach, that's all on the school.  If the coach just quits in the middle of the season, he more than likely let his entire organization down as they were counting on him to lead the program through the regular season.  Now if the coach tells the AD that he's going to resign at the end of the season, it could work favorably for the AD to go ahead and have the head coach resign.  That allows a coordinator the chance to prove their worth to the AD and allows the AD to publicly start looking at other HBC-ing candidates.

LZH

Quote from: Tom Bennett on October 12, 2015, 06:16:12 pm
Illinois - Tim Beckman (Fired). IN -

Maryland - Randy Edsall (Fired). IN -

North Texas - Dan McCarney (Fired). IN -

South Carolina - Steve Spurrier (Retired). IN -

USC - Steve Sarkisian (Fired). IN -

The answer to all the above?  Brent Venables.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

GoHogs1091

Here is who I figure will be the main candidates for current job openings/jobs that could come open.

South Carolina   Justin Fuente, Kirby Smart, Tom Herman, Shane Beamer

Miami (FL)   Greg Schiano, Kirby Smart

USC   Brian Kelly, Jeff Fisher, Sean Payton (if he gets fired at New Orleans), Butch Davis

Kyle Whittingham could have been one until his team's showing against USC.

Virginia Tech  (rumor floating around that Frank Beamer will retire for a health reason)   Tom Herman, Brent Venables, Jeremy Pruitt

Oklahoma   Jim Mora, Jr., Justin Fuente, Butch Davis, Brent Venables

clutch

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 25, 2015, 04:37:47 pm
Here is who I figure will be the main candidates for current job openings/jobs that could come open.

USC   Brian Kelly, Jeff Fisher, Sean Payton (if he gets fired at New Orleans), Butch Davis

Virginia Tech  (rumor floating around that Frank Beamer will retire for a health reason)   Tom Herman, Brent Venables, Jeremy Pruitt

You think Brian Kelly would leave ND for USC? I don't see anyway that would happen.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: clutch on October 25, 2015, 04:52:33 pm
You think Brian Kelly would leave ND for USC? I don't see anyway that would happen.

It has been mentioned before on one of the ESPN channels that he is increasingly getting tired of Notre Dame's academic requirements.  Also, he would have more financial resources at USC.  The USC job is considered a top 3 in the nation job, and some may feel it is the best job in College Football.

clutch

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 25, 2015, 05:00:22 pm
It has been mentioned before on one of the ESPN channels that he is increasingly getting tired of Notre Dame's academic requirements.  Also, he would have more financial resources at USC.  The USC job is considered a top 3 in the nation job, and some may feel it is the best job in College Football.

The ND job is considered on of the top in the country also.

Ironhawg

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 25, 2015, 04:37:47 pm

Oklahoma?

clutch

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 25, 2015, 06:20:58 pm
Oklahoma?

The yearly Stoops getting fired/leaving rumor starts now.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 25, 2015, 06:20:58 pm
Oklahoma?

Good chance Stoops loses to Baylor, TCU, and Oklahoma State.  If that happens, then it would be back-to-back 8-4 seasons.  There probably would then be serious pressure put on David Boren and Oklahoma's AD.

Murr

The Miami fan finally got his wish.

root_hawg

kevin Sumlin will get a look at Southern Cal

Don't think kirby at Bama goes anywhere, doesn't interview well and has had other options

hogcard1964

Quote from: root_hawg on October 25, 2015, 09:07:09 pm
kevin Sumlin will get a look at Southern Cal

Don't think kirby at Bama goes anywhere, doesn't interview well and has had other options

After what's transpired, no way.

Dwight_K_Shrute

There should be a CFB HC Pickem on Hogville. 

Central Florida - George O'Leary (Resigned). IN - Greg Schiano (I know he is a hot name for Miami, but a bit of a pri**.)  I think this would be a better landing spot for him.  He built Rutgers from garbage which is where a once positively trending UCF is heading.

Illinois - Tim Beckman (Fired). IN - Matt Campbell has built Toledo into a MAAC force that has no fear.

Maryland - Randy Edsall (Fired). IN - Doc Holliday Underrated coach that is ready for a P5 job, Florida ties could also help recruiting.

Miami - Al Golden (Fired). IN - Justin Fuente, makes so much sense it probably won't happen, and Miami could be leery of another G5 guy.

North Texas - Dan McCarney (Fired). IN - Houston Nutt, he deserves one last shot right?

South Carolina - Steve Spurrier (Retired). IN - Chad Morris, not a great record at tired SMU but very strong SC ties and high level of success at Clemson.

USC - Steve Sarkisian (Fired). IN - Chip Kelly

ChicoHog

As an avid USC hater I would love to see them hire Chip Kelly.  He would turn them into a spread team, alienate all the big money boosters, not recruit as well as Carroll and Sarkisian and let UCLA take charge in SoCal. 

Having said all that I think he stays in the pros as long as Philly wants him.  That may not be for long.   His act works much better in an "out of the limelight, small town" college job than at a USC type school.  Kind of like Charlie strong at Texas although Strong is a good man and Kelly is an arrogant jerk. 

DLUXHOG

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 13, 2015, 09:12:12 am
Me too.

My Wife a UNT grad and we not won consistently since Coach Dickey was at UNT.

North Texas
When hired to lead the Mean Green in 1998, Darrell Dickey took over a football program which hadn't had a winning season since 1994. In his fourth season at the helm, Dickey's Mean Green won a share of their first Sun Belt Conference title and played in the first of their four consecutive New Orleans Bowls. From 2001–2004, Dickey led UNT to four consecutive Sun Belt Conference titles.

From 2001-2005, Dickey's North Texas teams won 26 consecutive Sun Belt Conference games, a streak that began on October 13, 2001 with a 24-21 win over Middle Tennessee State and ended on October 4, 2005 with a 13-10 loss to Troy University.

During his tenure, Darrell Dickey led the UNT to high profile wins over Big 12 schools Texas Tech (1999) and Baylor (2003). Additionally, the Mean Green posted a 2–1 record against Boise State during his time in Denton. In 2002, he guided the Mean Green to a victory over CUSA Champion Cincinnati in the New Orleans Bowl.

After two consecutive losing seasons in 2005 and 2006, Dickey was fired. North Texas paid out the remaining years on his contract.

UNT is an interesting university... as it is the 3rd largest (at 37K+ enrollment) university in Texas after UT and A&M.     I will never understand why they don't have an incredible history.......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jbcarol

Manny Navarro ‏@Manny_Navarro 15h15 hours ago

Butch Davis is interested, favored to become UM's next coach, but is #UM really interested in him? http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2015/10/butch-davis-is-interested-in-becoming-ums-next-coach-but-is-um-really-interested-in-him.html ...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hogcard1964

Quote from: jbcarol on October 27, 2015, 06:34:10 am
Manny Navarro ‏@Manny_Navarro 15h15 hours ago

Butch Davis is interested, favored to become UM's next coach, but is #UM really interested in him? http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2015/10/butch-davis-is-interested-in-becoming-ums-next-coach-but-is-um-really-interested-in-him.html ...

No chance

That is a huge step down.

jbcarol

FOX College Football ‏@CFBONFOX 20h20 hours ago

Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads says offensive coordinator Mark Mangino has left the program.

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 21h21 hours ago

Houston Nutt has "decided interest" in UCF job, @JackOnSports says on @SiriusXMCollege

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 20h20 hours ago

Butch Davis says he's "absolutely" interested in Miami job on his @SiriusXMCollege show

hogcard1964

Quote from: jbcarol on October 27, 2015, 08:58:00 am
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 21h21 hours ago

Houston Nutt has "decided interest" in UCF job, @JackOnSports says on @SiriusXMCollege

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 20h20 hours ago

Butch Davis says he's "absolutely" interested in Miami job on his @SiriusXMCollege show

LOL

ChicoHog

I think Butch would be a great choice for Miami but I don't think they will go there because of his age and his UNC affiliation.  Greg Schiano is there and he has Miami history and recruited there for years. 

Cavehog

I don't see CBP mentioned in this thread which surprises me.  Is he that locked in at Louisville?  Miami wouldn't look his way? A big factor for him: Daytona Bike Week right up the road.
If you never streaked down Sorority Row, caught the Bud Man twice in one night, or threw a pitcher of beer under the table when ABC came into the Hog Trough . . . you're just a wannabe.