Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gafford draft projections

Started by Hog_Fink, February 10, 2018, 05:57:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 14, 2018, 09:41:39 am
You can't even be a decent human being and admit you were wrong. That's sad b

when i heard Kennedy say that his players were being pushed around by a freshman.

1. He did say it, clearly in the second reference to Gafford (whom he didn't call by name)
2. I was talking about how Gafford appears to not be a "house hold name" IE SEC coaches still call him "a freshman" or at least this one did (formerly the longest tenured coach in the SEC).

I wasn't saying that Kennedy called Gafford a bad name i said it came off as disrespectful TO ME.  My opinion did you hear that MINE i can't be "wrong" about that.

This is all in relation to the point of this thread in that Gafford's stock is rising but at least in this instance TO ME even though Gafford was killing them he was still just a freshman to Kennedy.

riccoar

Gafford did what he was suppose to do last night against sub-par talent.  His test for the NBA comes this Saturday and then next Tuesday.  He will be paired against folks he's seeking to be equals with.

hawgball40

Quote from: 311Hog on February 14, 2018, 09:48:52 am
when i heard Kennedy say that his players were being pushed around by a freshman.

1. He did say it, clearly in the second reference to Gafford (whom he didn't call by name)
2. I was talking about how Gafford appears to not be a "house hold name" IE SEC coaches still call him "a freshman" or at least this one did (formerly the longest tenured coach in the SEC).

I wasn't saying that Kennedy called Gafford a bad name i said it came off as disrespectful TO ME.  My opinion did you hear that MINE i can't be "wrong" about that.

This is all in relation to the point of this thread in that Gafford's stock is rising but at least in this instance TO ME even though Gafford was killing them he was still just a freshman to Kennedy.
When you are mad because a coach referred to one of our players as a freshman, you opinion can be wrong lol. His job is to motivate his guys. He was basically telling his team they were getting punked, i'm not gonna read any more into it than that. He wanted them to work through the post. Maybe referring to Gafford as a freshman stings at their pride enough to get a little more effort out of them, i won't pretend to know his motives. But I'm sure calling Gafford a freshman had everything to do with motivating his team and nothing to do with his perception of Gafford. I mean he'd have to be an idiot to not be watching Gaffords tape and saying anything other than "Damn, this man is a hoss".  So not only is your perception wrong, your perception of what motivated the coach to say that is completely off base as it makes no sense. That's why i told you to hold the L, you arrived at the wrong conclusion.

Beaverfever

Quote from: 311Hog on February 14, 2018, 08:44:26 am
Watching the game last night you can definitely sense or feel an uptick in the "Hype" surrounding Gafford. 
The hype became very noticeable about a week or 10 days ago.  He hadn't even been playing that well when it started.  He was starting to come out of a prolonged slump.  I'm guessing some NBA people told some plugged in writers that they were impressed.  The dunk obviously was an attention grabber.

311Hog

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 14, 2018, 10:41:05 am
When you are mad because a coach referred to one of our players as a freshman, you opinion can be wrong lol. His job is to motivate his guys. He was basically telling his team they were getting punked, i'm not gonna read any more into it than that. He wanted them to work through the post. Maybe referring to Gafford as a freshman stings at their pride enough to get a little more effort out of them, i won't pretend to know his motives. But I'm sure calling Gafford a freshman had everything to do with motivating his team and nothing to do with his perception of Gafford. I mean he'd have to be an idiot to not be watching Gaffords tape and saying anything other than "Damn, this man is a hoss".  So not only is your perception wrong, your perception of what motivated the coach to say that is completely off base as it makes no sense. That's why i told you to hold the L, you arrived at the wrong conclusion.

jesus man here let me spell it out real slow.

1. I am not mad
2. I was not commenting about what Kennedy said in the mic'd up to mean that Kennedy has a beef with Gafford.  The debate in this thread is Gafford and his relation to being a one and done.  Usually the SEC coaches know who is one and done and Gafford was not on that list and still might not be.  You are right Kennedy was doing anything to try and get his kids to play hard, my point was that the words he used showed how little respect Gafford has in some circle I THOUGHT this IE "If Gafford was a known one and done i doubt Kennedy refers to him in that manner".  Add that to the talk about what Gafford would do with 2 fouls etc. some don't think he is as good as he is.

If he had said Gafford is pushing yall around in side you need to get physical with him man up or anything to that effect simply referring to him as "a freshman" like he didn't know his name.  I am sure he said get out on Macon, not get out on that senior.

311Hog

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 14, 2018, 10:58:21 am
The hype became very noticeable about a week or 10 days ago.  He hadn't even been playing that well when it started.  He was starting to come out of a prolonged slump.  I'm guessing some NBA people told some plugged in writers that they were impressed.  The dunk obviously was an attention grabber.

yeah agree here i was referencing the talk from the color guy about Gafford.  Usually they don't go on and on about him or hadn't that i had seen. I don't mean when the color guy is an Arkansas alum but a guy who is not affiliated at all with our program says Gafford looks like a mid first rounder that is a different tune than earlier in the year.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 14, 2018, 08:23:34 am
If you don't think NBA gurus are giving Jonathan Givony insight into where players like Gafford are valued right now, you're clueless.

So you want him to leave then.

Hawg Red

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 14, 2018, 11:13:53 am

So you want him to leave then.

I'm not following what your reply to my post has to do with Jonathan Givony's credibility. It seems like you really don't have anything at all to say.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 14, 2018, 12:40:54 pm
I'm not following what your reply to my post has to do with Jonathan Givony's credibility. It seems like you really don't have anything at all to say.

There is a theory here that anyone not saying Gafford should stay is a Mike Anderson hater that wants Gafford to leave because it will hurt the team. I want Gafford to do what Gafford thinks is best for Gafford. I am saying those here who say he is not ready, or is not draftable ( yes someone posted that ) want him to stay for selfish reasons not what is best for Gafford. If he decides staying is his best choice, great.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

urkillnmesmalls

All of this thread, and some others, are keying on his physical abilities, and where they are perceived to ONE DAY be.  There's no way Gafford would be slotted where he is based on what he has done to this point in college. 

In my mind, if he lands inside the top 20...and it's based on potential, then it's almost a bigger hazard to come back.  What if next year without a supporting cast, he doesn't show improvement?  Stock...falls, because now they are questioning his upside. 

The other thing is...the mental aspect.  I contend that a LOT of players who leave early are not ready mentally.  They get to the NBA and what they are doing doesn't translate well, and they either attempt to make huge changes, or get deflated.  At that level of sports, confidence plays such a big part that most people struggle to understand why they are almost required to think they are the best, even when nothing we see would warrant those thoughts.  Mental toughness....it matters, and we don't know anything about that aspect with most players who leave early.  But...I think a LOT of the gurus would say it plays a big part in why some succeed, when others fail, even if they might have superior physical tools. 

So...we can argue all we want, but SO MUCH goes into this that the fact remains...if he's going to get paid life changing money to play basketball after this season, I wish the kid well, and I just hope MA has another kid every bit as good as him on the radar....because even if he doesn't go, he could get injured playing a pick up game this summer and we would be in exactly the same boat next year. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hawgball40

Quote from: 311Hog on February 14, 2018, 11:04:15 am

jesus man here let me spell it out real slow.

1. I am not mad
2. I was not commenting about what Kennedy said in the mic'd up to mean that Kennedy has a beef with Gafford.  The debate in this thread is Gafford and his relation to being a one and done.  Usually the SEC coaches know who is one and done and Gafford was not on that list and still might not be.  You are right Kennedy was doing anything to try and get his kids to play hard, my point was that the words he used showed how little respect Gafford has in some circle I THOUGHT this IE "If Gafford was a known one and done i doubt Kennedy refers to him in that manner".  Add that to the talk about what Gafford would do with 2 fouls etc. some don't think he is as good as he is.

If he had said Gafford is pushing yall around in side you need to get physical with him man up or anything to that effect simply referring to him as "a freshman" like he didn't know his name.  I am sure he said get out on Macon, not get out on that senior.
oh man, you are mad because you are wrong and just keep doubling down on it. Watch the post game interview, the first thing out of Kennedy's mouth is that the gameplan was to and I quote "Hey lets get Gafford out of the Game early with foul trouble and stay attached to their two all league players in macon and barford". Just because the national media is just now picking up on Gafford as a lottery pick, doesn't mean bball coaches haven't know about him for some time. Bill walton called Gafford the best player at the pk80. If anything, Kennedy referred to Gafford as a freshman as motivation for his players. Not as disrespect, like what you said. You said you thought it was disrespectful. I've shown you why thinking that is foolish reasoning.

hawgball40

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 14, 2018, 01:50:53 pm
All of this thread, and some others, are keying on his physical abilities, and where they are perceived to ONE DAY be.
This simply not true. Where his abilities are right now are enough to get him drafted. He's already an elite out of area rebounder and shot blocker with freak athleticism and show stopping dunking ability. All 3 of those things are enough to get him drafted in the first round. He moves into lottery discussion based on how raw he is offensively and projected improvement on both sides of the ball.

billmontgomery10

A telling example of what he might be able to do in the pros is when the Hogs go to Mizzou and he faces off against Jeremiah Tilmon, also a true freshman. Tilmon has an NBA type body and is murder in the paint. He has really developed this year and Gafford needs a big game for the Hogs to win.
IMHO the only reason Gafford would declare himself for the pro draft after his freshman season concerns itself with the financial difficulties of his family. I'm with the rest of you, I am hoping that Gafford comes back to play with D. Hall, I. Joe and the rest of the newbies, but if he is doing this for his family, who among us would criticize him?

Hog_Fink

espn has him at 16 in their updated rankings.

it's pretty funny people are talking about Gafford being unrefined & that he can't bang down low.

....back to the basket scoring is a thing of the past. GMs & coaches are looking at his length, athleticism, ability to switch on picks & play perimeter defense.. they're salivating.

hope we get him back, but gotta think it's unlikely

311Hog

Quote from: galactivation on February 15, 2018, 10:42:22 am
espn has him at 16 in their updated rankings.

it's pretty funny people are talking about Gafford being unrefined & that he can't bang down low.

....back to the basket scoring is a thing of the past. GMs & coaches are looking at his length, athleticism, ability to switch on picks & play perimeter defense.. they're salivating.

hope we get him back, but gotta think it's unlikely

i think his low posts moves are better than some think, better than others at this time.  He has a decent drop step and Hook shot.  Mainly it seems his plan is just get it up on the rim then go get the miss.

texas tush hog

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on February 14, 2018, 03:19:40 pm
A telling example of what he might be able to do in the pros is when the Hogs go to Mizzou and he faces off against Jeremiah Tilmon, also a true freshman. Tilmon has an NBA type body and is murder in the paint. He has really developed this year and Gafford needs a big game for the Hogs to win.
IMHO the only reason Gafford would declare himself for the pro draft after his freshman season concerns itself with the financial difficulties of his family. I'm with the rest of you, I am hoping that Gafford comes back to play with D. Hall, I. Joe and the rest of the newbies, but if he is doing this for his family, who among us would criticize him?

His family is not destitute. A middle class family who can wait if necessary. Now if he leaves is another matter. I don't think they will make a knee jerk reaction like most of the Mike haters on this board would like to see. If he is a lottery pick, yes, but if the NBA gurus give him a mid to late first round pick from what I hear, he will be back and move into next years lottery. Loves Mike and his teammates, and enjoying his college experience from what I am hearing.

99toLife

February 15, 2018, 01:34:00 pm #216 Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:00:16 pm by 99toLife
Quote from: billmontgomery10 on February 14, 2018, 03:19:40 pm

true and he may get to face Mizzou's Michael Porter Jr.  if he comes back to play ...another true freshman who has played a total of 2 min this year.. 

With only playing 2min this year he is still projected around #7 in the draft....

Pancetta

If someone is a mid to late first round pick as a freshman then I don't know why they would stay.  The draft is based on potential, not on actual current skill.  His draft stock could increase if there are less players with his skill set in the next year's draft but it could also drop if you don't greatly improve because the NBA scouts could think that indicates you don't have the capacity to improve in that area. 
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

razorback1829

Quote from: Pancetta on February 15, 2018, 01:58:49 pm
If someone is a mid to late first round pick as a freshman then I don't know why they would stay.  The draft is based on potential, not on actual current skill.  His draft stock could increase if there are less players with his skill set in the next year's draft but it could also drop if you don't greatly improve because the NBA scouts could think that indicates you don't have the capacity to improve in that area.

Sitting on an NBA bench wouldn't be the best thing for a kid like Daniel at this point in his career. This kid hasn't been playing the game for that long at all, and another year to develop maybe a jumpshot, become a better free throw shooter, get some post moves, and get some game time reps in on a big stage. Be a household name next year. And will probably go lottery due to there not being too many post players in that draft class. He develops all of that, or even some, he'll go top 10. His motor and athleticism isn't going anywhere.

Hogz87

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 15, 2018, 02:44:55 pm
Sitting on an NBA bench wouldn't be the best thing for a kid like Daniel at this point in his career. This kid hasn't been playing the game for that long at all, and another year to develop maybe a jumpshot, become a better free throw shooter, get some post moves, and get some game time reps in on a big stage. Be a household name next year. And will probably go lottery due to there not being too many post players in that draft class. He develops all of that, or even some, he'll go top 10. His motor and athleticism isn't going anywhere.
If, after your freshman year of college, a company was offering you a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract what would you do?

I fully understand the mentality of fans who say/think a player isn't ready enough after their freshman year, even though they're projected by almost everyone to be a first rounder, and should come back one more year.  And I don't disagree with that mentality from a fan standpoint.

However, we have to keep in mind that if/when a 19-20 year old kid is being offered a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract by a "company", and they'd get to stop going to class and get to spend 24/7 refining their ability/skill for a job that they love, it shouldn't upset or surprise any of us when they accept the "job offer". 

ShadowHawg

You see it in baseball all the time where by waiting guys improve their draft status.

Going now to make a few million is dumb if by waiting you can double your yearly income. It's important to note how deep is a draft at your position. This year there is a banner crop of athletic bigs possibly coming out. How does he rate inside that pool?

If Ayton, Bamba, and Williams come out, he is going to cost himself multi millions over the course of his first contract and probably his entire career.

So simply coming out because you can isn't a solid decision at all. There is a lot of money at stake whether he stays or goes. I firmly believe Portis cost himself money going when he did. He wouldn't have fallen even though there are goofballs that believe it gives them more time to tear your game apart. Tell it to Buddy Heild, he really screwed himself.

AlmaHog2011

Gafford is going to make many-many millions. JMHO if he was my son we would be gone. I am completely financially solid.

When you have a chance to bank millions you just have to make the move. Would love for him to come back!!! Hope he does come back..If he leaves I will pull for him just like I do for Portis..  Take the money young man!

Hog_Fink

Robert Williams stayed. Miles bridges stayed. NBA is always drafting on potential, but the kid could stay and potentially be a top 10 pick. I definitely see him blossoming & getting more looks next year without Ball stopping guard play

Hawg Red

Quote from: galactivation on February 18, 2018, 09:56:55 pm
Robert Williams stayed. Miles bridges stayed. NBA is always drafting on potential, but the kid could stay and potentially be a top 10 pick. I definitely see him blossoming & getting more looks next year without Ball stopping guard play

Neither improved their draft stock, though. They are literally exactly where they were projected when the decided to come back last year. Almost down to the projected pick. Both were late lottery picks and are right now. So did they make a good decision, bad decision or push? And isn't a push really just a somewhat bad decision because that's one year you could have been earning and one year closer to the second contract?

Also, a lot will depend on how the NBA views Gafford. If they mostly view him as a role guy without the ability or skillset to become a star, he's not likely to improve his stock into the top 5-8 picks no matter how few centers are in the next draft. If that's how they view him (and I don't know how they view him), there's really no upside to coming back because they are only going to pick him apart the longer he stays and his stock will fall. If there is enough opinion that he could be a game-changers and a potential franchise player, then there is great upside it coming back and entering a less-center heavy draft. Also to be factored in is how much do teams value centers anyway in the NBA anymore because we see it posted over and over again in response to the concern that if Gafford leaves we won't have much size that the game is moving away from size and becoming a smaller game that values spacing.

riccoar

Again Robert Williams was suspended this season for activities that NBA would determine as a knock against him.  That has more hold on his non-improvement than his playing showcase.

Gafford's decision to me now depends on whether he wants to stay on for others coming next season.

Hawg Red

Quote from: riccoar on February 19, 2018, 09:22:59 am
Again Robert Williams was suspended this season for activities that NBA would determine as a knock against him.  That has more hold on his non-improvement than his playing showcase.

Gafford's decision to me now depends on whether he wants to stay on for others coming next season.

Really? Then how did Josh Jackson go in the top 4 last year? What did Robert Williams even do to get suspended?

Robert Williams' production (by year):

2016-2017: 11.9 PPG, 8.2 RPG, 1.4 APG, 2.5 BPG, 25.8 MPG, 55.8 FG%, 59 FT%, 27.2 PER
2017-2018: 11.2 PPG, 9.7 RPG, 1.5 APG, 2.4 BPG, 26.3 MPG, 64.4 FG%, 46.8 FT%, 26.3 PER

Looks like a guy who didn't really get much better, if at all. Looks like almost the same player to me.

311Hog

i think alot has to do with how this season ends.  I am pretty sure Barford and Macon were gone if it not for the UNC game in the tourney.  They came back because they felt like and wanted to make a deep tourney run.

if Gafford balls out and we go to sweet sixteen or better then i would expect him to leave, if we are disappointed in the ending maybe he gets that fire and wants to come back.

I mean as a fan of the Hogs i want him to come back, but there is no way he should pass up 1st round money.

TexHog188

Who is gonna score next year for this team? Gafford will be the focal point of the offense next year if he comes back.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

riccoar

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 19, 2018, 09:27:40 am
Really? Then how did Josh Jackson go in the top 4 last year? What did Robert Williams even do to get suspended?

Robert Williams' production (by year):

2016-2017: 11.9 PPG, 8.2 RPG, 1.4 APG, 2.5 BPG, 25.8 MPG, 55.8 FG%, 59 FT%, 27.2 PER
2017-2018: 11.2 PPG, 9.7 RPG, 1.5 APG, 2.4 BPG, 26.3 MPG, 64.4 FG%, 46.8 FT%, 26.3 PER

Looks like a guy who didn't really get much better, if at all. Looks like almost the same player to me.
Jackson had a fender bender.  I could assume Williams "team rules" but I think we all know it involves something professional sports is backing away from.

Hawg Red

Hawg Red

Quote from: riccoar on February 19, 2018, 10:20:55 am
Jackson had a fender bender.  I could assume Williams "team rules" but I think we all know it involves something professional sports is backing away from.

Williams was suspended for two games of violation of school policy. I'm struggling to see how this has hurt him in the eyes of NBA teams and I have not seen anyone who covers the NBA state as much. The reality, most likely, is as I said -- he simply has not improved much at all this season. Maybe marginally.

hogsanity

It is certainly a quandry for Hog fans. For the Hogs to do anything in the ncaat this year, Gafford must continue to play well, yet if he continues to play well, it just improves his draft stock which makes it less likely he comes back next year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rtr

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2018, 10:46:56 am
It is certainly a quandry for Hog fans. For the Hogs to do anything in the ncaat this year, Gafford must continue to play well, yet if he continues to play well, it just improves his draft stock which makes it less likely he comes back next year.
No quandry at all, take the deep tournament run all day long.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

311Hog

Quote from: rtr on February 19, 2018, 10:49:50 am
No quandry at all, take the deep tournament run all day long.

none for me either.  You take the special year now if it is there.  Nothing is written. Seeing the Auburn kids injury omg yeah that is how it can turn on a dime.

daprospecta

Not sure why there are five pages to this this thread.  If Gafford can go be rich this year, I hope he goes! Seems like a great kid and a great Arkansas prospect that stayed home. I'd imagine he will enter his name in the draft. If he gets 1st round pick across the board, he should keep his name in, if they tell him he could slip into the 2nd, I think he should come back. 

riccoar

Quote from: daprospecta on February 19, 2018, 10:56:53 am
Not sure why there are five pages to this this thread.  If Gafford can go be rich this year, I hope he goes! Seems like a great kid and a great Arkansas prospect that stayed home. I'd imagine he will enter his name in the draft. If he gets 1st round pick across the board, he should keep his name in, if they tell him he could slip into the 2nd, I think he should come back. 
The only issue people are suggesting is money.  1st pick? $15.3 mil for 2 years.  The area he is rumored is $4 mil for 2 years.  The problem people don't grasp with money these days is pretty simple.  $4 mil, after ALL deductions, ain't taking you to retirement should something happen.  Not unless you buy one of those mini houses, drive one of those tiny cars, and disown your family.

Gafford is not a lottery pick this year.  I whole heartily believe next year he definitely will be.

hogsanity

Quote from: riccoar on February 19, 2018, 11:27:19 am
The only issue people are suggesting is money.  1st pick? $15.3 mil for 2 years.  The area he is rumored is $4 mil for 2 years.  The problem people don't grasp with money these days is pretty simple.  $4 mil, after ALL deductions, ain't taking you to retirement should something happen.  Not unless you buy one of those mini houses, drive one of those tiny cars, and disown your family.

Gafford is not a lottery pick this year.  I whole heartily believe next year he definitely will be.

No, that is not the only issue. There are several posting that he is not ready, like they are NBA scouts or gm's. Gafford can come back for 10 years and he is not going to be the #1 pick, so comparing that money to what he is likely to make is not reasonable. What's the difference between 10th and 15th? 10th and 17th?

As far as the money, if he comes back to school next year he make ZERO Dollars.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2018, 11:34:47 am
No, that is not the only issue. There are several posting that he is not ready, like they are NBA scouts or gm's. Gafford can come back for 10 years and he is not going to be the #1 pick, so comparing that money to what he is likely to make is not reasonable. What's the difference between 10th and 15th? 10th and 17th?

As far as the money, if he comes back to school next year he make ZERO Dollars.

and wont have 2 legit sr guards for the opponent to deal with.

hawgball40

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 18, 2018, 09:08:23 pm
You see it in baseball all the time where by waiting guys improve their draft status.

Going now to make a few million is dumb if by waiting you can double your yearly income. It's important to note how deep is a draft at your position. This year there is a banner crop of athletic bigs possibly coming out. How does he rate inside that pool?

If Ayton, Bamba, and Williams come out, he is going to cost himself multi millions over the course of his first contract and probably his entire career.

So simply coming out because you can isn't a solid decision at all. There is a lot of money at stake whether he stays or goes. I firmly believe Portis cost himself money going when he did. He wouldn't have fallen even though there are goofballs that believe it gives them more time to tear your game apart. Tell it to Buddy Heild, he really screwed himself.
Hmm, i don't think he will cost himself millions by coming out this year. The draft is based on potential, and Gafford is the best athlete in the draft, and he's shown he can improve his skills rapidly over the season, so that would make him higher on the board than Williams, who basically has 0 post game. Bamba and Ayton look the part and are polished with range, but neither has the elite athleticism that Gafford has. But i do think he can improve his stock by coming back. I'd wager no one in the country has a standing leap better than Gafford. Not only does he jump high he jumps far. I mean look at that dunk vs OU in the PK80, one step off 2 feet from outside cylinder, about half way from the free throw line and flushes it with ease. No one else in the country can do that. He is an elite level athlete, and the best dunker in college basketball, and therefore his potential is the highest of any big in the country. The other guys may be more ready now, but they do not have the elite tools Gafford has, which will make him the best of the bunch in the long run. JMO

k.c.hawg

No one is going to give up on him without exercising his options through the 4th year, he would still be like 23 years old. Almost $11m through 4 years and a qualifying offer over $5m in year 5. It is ridiculous for people to think guys should turn this money down, if they decide to go. Some people are content to walk away from the table up big than risk it for a bigger payday. He knows if he's good enough the $140m to $200m payday is going to come. No place to get better than on an NBA roster.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

upperdeck_hawg

Unlike most of you, I hope Gafford goes. It will say to future recruits that if you are good enough, you can come to Arkansas and be a one-and-done.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

VBMark

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 11, 2018, 04:09:03 pm
Speak for yourself. I wouldn't. Money isn't everything to everyone. And some people are not willing to bail on their commitments so easily. Now granted, the NBA is likely his dream job, but me thinks there is a chance money isn't the biggest factor in Dan's decision.

What commitment would he be bailing on? He has ONE year scholarship. He isn't pulling one those Ball kid type tricks.

The folks who think he should stay are the ones who think Bill Gates and Michael Dell should have stayed in college. Oh wait, nobody thinks that...

Get real, if your son or daughter came to you at the end of their freshman year and said, hey IBM, Ford, Microsoft, Walmart, etc. want to offer me one of the 12 highest paid positions in the organization guaranteed for three years, then you would say, "go for it." If you wouldn't say that, then you and your kid are controlled by some weird crap.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

raz1965

I just hope he continues to improve an the hogs keep winning. We should all be happy if he is a lottery pick. Mike can promote the program with players like Gafford an Portis,.

hawgmasta

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on February 19, 2018, 04:32:47 pm
Unlike most of you, I hope Gafford goes. It will say to future recruits that if you are good enough, you can come to Arkansas and be a one-and-done.

I tend to agree with this. It's look like we can be a one and done school. Bobby a couple years ago and now Gafford; always looks good to have multiple players going in the first round.

hawgball40

Quote from: VBMark on February 19, 2018, 04:33:51 pm
What commitment would he be bailing on? He has ONE year scholarship. He isn't pulling one those Ball kid type tricks.

The folks who think he should stay are the ones who think Bill Gates and Michael Dell should have stayed in college. Oh wait, nobody thinks that...

Get real, if your son or daughter came to you at the end of their freshman year and said, hey IBM, Ford, Microsoft, Walmart, etc. want to offer me one of the 12 highest paid positions in the organization guaranteed for three years, then you would say, "go for it." If you wouldn't say that, then you and your kid are controlled by some weird crap.
You are projecting an emotional response on me based on the words of others in this thread saying he should do this and should do that. I am not arguing one way or another on whether Gafford should go this year or not. You need to cool your jets buddy. He has a commitment to his teammates, and he is a diehard razorback. You act like stuff like that is taken lightly by people, and its not. Those are his peers and friends, and this is his dream to play for the razorbacks. He may very well go 1 and done, but he's just as likely to come back based on who he is as a person. Money is not everything to everyone like you seem to suggest. that is you projecting your own personality on to the situation. and just fyi, i would not want my daughter working at one of those megacorps. that is you projecting lol. Some of us have standards and principals. And we serve only God, the money works itself out for us.

Hawg Red

Up to 15th in ESPN's brand new mock draft:

Quote15. Phoenix Suns (via Heat)

Daniel Gafford
Arkansas
Freshman
C

Gafford's tremendous physical tools and significant upside will likely mean his name is called somewhere in the top 20 on draft night, if he has a strong pre-draft process.

Unfortunately the glut of big men in this class (plus the lack of wings around the league) makes it difficult for him to crack the lottery in this team-needs-based mock draft. The Suns are one team that could potentially look for depth at the center spot, adding much needed rim protection and finishing ability as Alex Len enters free agency.

Starting salary: $2,725,680

Interesting to see the part about him having "significant upside." If he's hearing that from NBA types, that makes waiting until next year more interesting because it means he could actually move into the top 5-10 of that draft. Contrary to popular belief, a player can't just go back to school and improve and be really good and magically move up into that territory. If the NBA does not see you as an true difference-maker with All-Star potential, you aren't going in the top 8.

hogsanity

Quote from: VBMark on February 19, 2018, 04:33:51 pm

Dude, you are going too deep. The ones who think he should come back simply know the Hogs are not likely to be very good next yr with 7 new players as it is, and if he leaves they might be borderline terrible. Thats all it is, has nothing to do with anything else.

99toLife

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2018, 09:35:32 am
Dude, you are going too deep. The ones who think he should come back simply know the Hogs are not likely to be very good next yr with 7 new players as it is, and if he leaves they might be borderline terrible. Thats all it is, has nothing to do with anything else.

That is exactly the reason.  If the kid is projected mid range 1st round, he should probably go.

hogsanity

Quote from: 99toLife on February 20, 2018, 09:37:54 am
That is exactly the reason.  If the kid is projected mid range 1st round, he should probably go.

If he goes, he goes. If he stays, he stays. None of my business either way. I do find it funny those here saying he is not ready, like they are NBA scouts or Gm's.

hawgball40

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2018, 09:50:51 am
If he goes, he goes. If he stays, he stays. None of my business either way. I do find it funny those here saying he is not ready, like they are NBA scouts or Gm's.
Yep, they are the type of people not to know their arse from a hole in the wall