Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Illinois fires coach

Started by Hawghiggs, March 05, 2016, 12:00:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Vantage 8 dude

March 05, 2016, 12:29:58 pm #2 Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 12:48:09 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 05, 2016, 12:05:31 pm
Cubit was doomed from the beginning. Beckman was a joke. He was so bad that Nutt would be an upgrade.
Hey, you very well may have THE SOLUTION to Illinois' current problem. The Hooter is alive, well and waiting in the wings to resurrect yet another big time program. Someone get that man on the phone, pronto.....

younghog

GO HOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawghiggs on March 05, 2016, 12:00:31 pm
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Illinois-dismisses-Bill-Cubit-as-head-coach-on-athletic-directors-first-day

WOW! is all I can say. I realize they have a new AD but this is incredibly bad timing with them just having finished their recruiting class that signed on expecting this particular staff to coach them at least through 2016.

Every single one of those kids who signed on for 2016 should be released from their binding commitments by the NCAA.
Go Hogs Go!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Watch an attempted raid on one or two of our assistants.

It doesn't help that we have some with B1G ties and/or recruiting ties.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ricepig

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 05, 2016, 02:53:44 pm

Only if this was already planned. You don't fire the HC a week before spring practice, or do you???

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2016, 02:57:30 pm
Only if this was already planned. You don't fire the HC a week before spring practice, or do you???

Well someone has to take the job.
Then he has to hire a staff.

We seem to have highly attractive assistants.
I've already stated some have B1G ties with recruiting or coaching.

I'm being a little facetious but only a little.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ricepig

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 05, 2016, 03:10:33 pm
Well someone has to take the job.
Then he has to hire a staff.

We seem to have highly attractive assistants.
I've already stated some have B1G ties with recruiting or coaching.

I'm being a little facetious but only a little.

Some of the articles I read said the AD more than likely had his man picked out for the job, we'll see. He also fired his son, the OC, and reportedly, most of the staff.

kodiakisland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 05, 2016, 02:27:33 pm
WOW! is all I can say. I realize they have a new AD but this is incredibly bad timing with them just having finished their recruiting class that signed on expecting this particular staff to coach them at least through 2016.

Every single one of those kids who signed on for 2016 should be released from their binding commitments by the NCAA.

And do what?  Sit at home for a year or pay their way somewhere else in hope of a scholarship?  Sucks for them, but seriously, how many of them could go somewhere else now even if they want to?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2016, 03:12:39 pm
Some of the articles I read said the AD more than likely had his man picked out for the job, we'll see. He also fired his son, the OC, and reportedly, most of the staff.

Honestly, I don't think we need to worry.
It wouldn't surprise me if there's an attempt though.

However, I bet Enos looks pretty attractive to them.
His response to me:

Hoggish1

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 05, 2016, 03:17:16 pm
Honestly, I don't think we need to worry.
It wouldn't surprise me if there's an attempt though.

However, I bet Enos looks pretty attractive to them.

For Illinois everybody looks attractive.

Wildhog

Maybe Hargreaves has some Illinois ties?  8)
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogcard1964

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 05, 2016, 02:53:44 pm

If the money's the same, Illinois is a huge step down from Arkansas.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 05, 2016, 04:14:19 pm
If the money's the same, Illinois is a huge step down from Arkansas.

Beyond true.
His response to me:

ricepig

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 05, 2016, 04:22:22 pm
Beyond true.

AD says in PC that he only fired the HC and OC, but the others would have to interview with the new coach.

The Hawg Marshal

I'm ashamed to admit it , but I'm so gun shy at this point the first thing came to my mind was that they'll probably hire Enos.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on March 05, 2016, 04:41:31 pm
Wow. Big time hire.

Yeah, if he's the guy, then the timing makes a lot more sense.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Wow.
That wasn't a home run hire.
It was a walk off grand slam considering that programs low level of prestige.

Broke the bank to get him?
His response to me:

hogcard1964

Wait, huh?

Lovie Smith is now a good coach?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 05, 2016, 04:55:18 pm
Wait, huh?

For Illinois.

He'll claim NFL connections/know how to recruits.
It will be a lot of positive media for awhile.
It'll create buzz with the fans for awhile.
His response to me:

cubsfan5150

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 05, 2016, 04:50:11 pm
If true, that's pathetic.

And you continue to be a complete tard.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

hogcard1964

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on March 05, 2016, 05:10:51 pm
And you continue to be a complete tard.

The term "tard" from a Cub fan.  Expected.

Wildhog

Wait, huh?

Of course he's a good coach.

For Illinois, this is an incredible hire.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hoglady

Guess the AD figured it might be now or never.
Bad timing - but how can the Illinois AD not roll the dice on Lovie Smith.
They'll have more publicity in the next week than they've had in the last decade.
His name alone should open some recruits doors that Illinois couldn't have sniffed at before.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on March 05, 2016, 05:24:13 pm
Guess the AD figured it might be now or never.
Bad timing - but how can the Illinois AD not roll the dice on Lovie Smith.
They'll have more publicity in the next week than they've had in the last decade.
His name alone should open some recruits doors that Illinois couldn't have sniffed at before.

Hopefully not some OL guys we are on.

hoglady

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2016, 05:27:13 pm
Hopefully not some OL guys we are on.

No kidding.
We are going to be in deep "do" if we don't pick up some good OL guys this year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

NinoHogUNIA

Wait, huh?

He's better than Jeff Fisher

Plus he went to the ship with Grossman at QB.

He's from Texas might have some connects there still.
BIE

Dominicanhog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 05, 2016, 04:51:59 pm
Wow.
That wasn't a home run hire.
It was a walk off grand slam considering that programs low level of prestige.

Broke the bank to get him?

Absolutely... he'd be a big time hire for any program.. winning record in NFL- head coach for 11 years..

big, big get for UI and I'd like to see Lovie kick the ship out of Urban Liar and Jimmy Huffball....

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 05, 2016, 06:16:51 pm
Absolutely... he'd be a big time hire for any program.. winning record in NFL- head coach for 11 years..

big, big get for UI and I'd like to see Lovie kick the ship out of Urban Liar and Jimmy Huffball....

Agree with this except.....I call him Bourbon Cryer.
His response to me:

goodguytex

AirWarren

Hogarusa

Illinois is a real tough spot to win but Lovie Smith is a great hire. Especially in March.  We got John L Smith in April
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Wildhog

Quote from: AP85 on March 05, 2016, 07:41:31 pm
It's Illinois. Who cares?

It's March and a CFB HC just got fired.  It's news, and it's not like we've got a ton to talk about, anyway.

Strange that this would bother anyone.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ChitownHawg

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on March 05, 2016, 06:06:05 pm
He's better than Jeff Fisher

Plus he went to the ship with Grossman at QB.

He's from Texas might have some connects there still.

This was a pretty big controversy in Chicago. Orton had the been the QB until the SB. They were there for their defense, so many people felt Lovie shouldn't screw with the offense and let Orton remain the starter.

Instead he stubbornly chose Grossman. He is a very stubborn person which seems to get him into trouble with upper management. However, his players always loved him. Preaching "you are a man so act like it" may work with a 26 year old player, but could be disastrous with a 19 year old.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 05, 2016, 03:14:25 pm
And do what?  Sit at home for a year or pay their way somewhere else in hope of a scholarship?  Sucks for them, but seriously, how many of them could go somewhere else now even if they want to?

Point is, any kid who commits to a program and signs a LOI in February, only to have the HC they signed with be fired a month later, should have the option to move their commitment to another program without penalty. There may be other schools they could go to and there may not be, but they should have the option nonetheless. Lots of teams didn't sign their full allotment of players.

Now I see that Lovie Smith may be hired as the HC and if he is, kids may want to stick around and play for him so maybe that works out well for them.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 06, 2016, 06:14:50 am
Point is, any kid who commits to a program and signs a LOI in February, only to have the HC they signed with be fired a month later, should have the option to move their commitment to another program without penalty.

Yes.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 05, 2016, 02:27:33 pm

Disagree. Every single one of those signees were crazy to sign with them knowing the coaches were interim unless they had extremely loyal ties to the school itself.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 05, 2016, 06:16:51 pm

Big time hire? You've got to be kidding. Head coach for 11 years and ONLY two games above .500 in the pros as a head coach................Oh yes that's a dazzling record...................How that adds up to a big, big get is laughable.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 06, 2016, 07:26:20 am
Disagree. Every single one of those signees were crazy to sign with them knowing the coaches were interim unless they had extremely loyal ties to the school itself.
I thought Cubit signed a two year deal after the season ended.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 06, 2016, 09:03:59 am

He did, had he signed a "long" term deal, then the AD said it probably wouldn't have happened.

The_Boot_stops_here

I can't imagine that Illinois fb could even dream for a bigger hire than Lovie Smith. At the very least, they will no longer be an embarassment. Good for them

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 06, 2016, 09:03:59 am

I wasn't aware of that. BUT in my book two year deals are interim by nature. They may not be called that but ANY coaches contract that short would make me think twice before signing with that school........................

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 06, 2016, 07:47:28 am
Big time hire? You've got to be kidding. Head coach for 11 years and ONLY two games above .500 in the pros as a head coach................Oh yes that's a dazzling record...................How that adds up to a big, big get is laughable.

ROFL.  ROFL.
LOL.  LOL.  LOL. LOL.  LOL.  LOL. LOL.  LOL.  LOL. LOL.  LOL.  LOL.
His response to me:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 06, 2016, 12:43:10 pm
ROFL.  ROFL.
LOL.  LOL.  LOL. LOL.  LOL.  LOL. LOL.  LOL.  LOL. LOL.  LOL.  LOL.

Don't look now but your ignorance is showing. Lovie walked into the Bears with a ready made defense. He couldn't field an offense to save his life. He was fired. He went to Tampa and was fired again.

So stop rolling on the floor laughing and explain why you think he is a great coach?

Grumpypenguin

Lovie does not seem like the type of person that would want to recruit. he wasn't a good NFL coach anyways