Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question for the more experienced hog fans

Started by SEdrhawg, October 04, 2011, 03:37:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SEdrhawg

I'm a relatively young hog fan (26) compared to some on this board, so I don't have as much knowledge of the past.  The earliest coach I can remember is Danny Ford being hired, but nothing really before that.  My question is this.... have Arkansas fans always obsessed about ex-coach like they do Nutt?  I don't think Danny Ford went anywhere after he was fired, so Nutt is really the only coach I have ever experienced that went to another school.  But what about Holtz??  Didn't he leave for Notre Dame??  Obviously there was no hogville back then, but did fans obsess constantly about how Notre Dame was doing 4 years after he left?  I'm really not trying to fan this subject, but I'm just curious because like I said I wasn't around back then.  Thanks and I'll hang up and listen.

hawgwash

duckcmmndr

The internet and social media have really helped to fuel the flame and that was not much of an option prior to Nutt.  I am only about 10 years older than you, but speaking for myself...when you watch someone week in and week out, year after year drag the program, that you love, down...it is really hard to let it go.  We had so much talent that was just wasted because of his ego.  It was not good for the kids, fans, or state for that matter.  He messed up kids careers and made the program look bad in many ways just to better himself.

I think deep down that Nutt is a crooked, manipulative, selfish person that will step on anyone he can to better himself.  There was no closure when he departed from Arkansas because he just stepped from one SEC school to another.  There was no period at the end of the sentence.  When Ole Miss grabbed him up they acted like we were idiots for getting rid of him.  The national press did the same thing, all the while we knew better and that it was only going to be a matter of time before he did the same crap to them.

I don't think most of the fans that despised Nutt will let it go until he is no longer coaching...and I think we are almost there.  No other big school will want him after he leaves Ole Miss in flames and his ego will not let him go backwards to a lower level school.  He does not need it...between all the money that he got from us and Ole Miss....he will never have to work again and that really does not sit well with most fans either.  The prior coaches did not stoop to the level that Nutt did.  Just my .02
:puke:

Bigdaddyhogfan

Lou actually went to Minnesota when left here. There were those not so happy when Nutt got the job after Danny. Some felt Ford got hosed after building the program to S.E.C. standards with little results. I think what sticks in so many's craw was the golden handcuffs ($3 million) Nutt took with him when he left for 'Ol Piss!

Spikes

Maybe fact that HN the 3rd spit on mid field when ole miss came to Arkansas that first yr, or how the Ole Miss fan came on this board for over 2 yrs to tell us how great he was and how ,crazy we as fan are and how stupid the  U OF A was for letting him go, this maybe a few reason whey the hate run deep with HN, and like a few have said the 3 million he stole from the U OF A..
You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

Grunt

the answer is "no". none of the others really had such nefarious character flaws.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: Bigdaddyhogfan on October 04, 2011, 05:40:15 pm
I think what sticks in so many's craw was the golden handcuffs ($3 million) Nutt took with him when he left for 'Ol Piss!

That's what does it for me. Donna Bragg looked bad on the program, sure. The Springdale saga was certainly embarrassing, but the way he got his money and ended up at Ole Miss the next day was scummy.

I take a lot of joy in how Nutt is doing things at Ole Miss because every Hog fan warned them what was going to happen when he got the job down there and after being laughed at, pretty much every prediction had come true. His post-game pressers are enjoyable now that he's not our problem. He's just a good guy to rip on, whether he had ever coached here or not.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Also, Kines and Ford certainly got many less results than Nutt did on the field, but always carried themselves like men with integrity off the field. Ford was a well respected coach going back to Clemson and I always got the impression that he loved Arkansas and wished he had done a better job here. Kines, while wildly unsuccessful was on Ken Hatfield's staff and was a link to that regime.

PeabodyHawg

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on October 05, 2011, 12:46:47 am
Also, Kines and Ford certainly got many less results than Nutt did on the field, but always carried themselves like men with integrity off the field. Ford was a well respected coach going back to Clemson and I always got the impression that he loved Arkansas and wished he had done a better job here. Kines, while wildly unsuccessful was on Ken Hatfield's staff and was a link to that regime.
I'm pretty sure that Jack Crowe brought Coach Kines on staff after he got the job when Hatfield left.  Kines was with Ray Perkins on the Tampa Bay Buccaneer staff that had just been let go at the end of the season.  Crowe and Kines had ties going back to their coaching and playing days in the state of Alabama.  It was Kines who brought Ford to Arkansas as a "consultant" after Crowe was shown the door following the Citadel debacle and Broyles made Joe Interim Head Coach.  Kines had coached with Danny at Clemson and they were both from the Charlie Pell coaching tree.

Grunt

Best if 1990-1997 simply redacted from Hog history. It was an absolute fiasco of  fb bullsh*t hiring.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: SEdrhawg on October 04, 2011, 03:37:11 pm
I'm a relatively young hog fan (26) compared to some on this board, so I don't have as much knowledge of the past.  The earliest coach I can remember is Danny Ford being hired, but nothing really before that.  My question is this.... have Arkansas fans always obsessed about ex-coach like they do Nutt?  I don't think Danny Ford went anywhere after he was fired, so Nutt is really the only coach I have ever experienced that went to another school.  But what about Holtz??  Didn't he leave for Notre Dame??  Obviously there was no hogville back then, but did fans obsess constantly about how Notre Dame was doing 4 years after he left?  I'm really not trying to fan this subject, but I'm just curious because like I said I wasn't around back then.  Thanks and I'll hang up and listen.

Jeebus, you people and your stupid "why are we still talking about Nutt?" threads.

For the 325976741st time, he coaches a division rival that we play literally every year.  Where were you in 2008 when we were getting stomped on a weekly basis while Ole Miss was rolling and pundits were slamming us for getting rid of a "winning coach"?  I was at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on September 27, 2008, when Texas was thrashing us and their fans were checking their iphones and telling us that Ole Miss had just beaten Florida in Gainesville.  If you were a fan through that rough patch, you wouldn't be asking ridiculous questions like this.

And by the way, I'm 26 too, and even I know that Holtz went to Minnesota before he got the Notre Dame job.