Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve Shields out at UALR

Started by Mr. Porkleone, March 18, 2015, 04:31:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawg66

Quote from: OldCoot on March 18, 2015, 09:06:42 pm
100% graduation rate.  Really good ambassador for the program and community.

UALR has forgotten what their mission is.  Bad move for this A.D. Good luck with that.

Part of the problem is that with no FB team, men's basketball needs to be the flagship program for the school.  The new AD said as much in an interview I heard a while back.  Someone mentioned Stansbury earlier, an intriguing choice.  Not sure they could afford him though.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on March 18, 2015, 07:54:28 pm

You should get out more.
There's a big world of sports out there outside of the Hogs.
You should watch some of it.

I'm thinking he doesn't have TV privileges.....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Kicking Wing

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 18, 2015, 11:10:49 pm
Wow, has it been that long?
Yeah and they had a losing record going into the conference tournament that year.  5 of last six regular season were losing records I believe.  Graduating players is great but it isn't good enough for other programs so why would it be at UALR?  We were very unhappy with Brady this year but he did win 19 the two previous seasons at least.

15 years at one school is a long run.  He will land on his feet somewhere I bet.  He is only 50 y.o.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: 1highhog on March 19, 2015, 08:54:38 am
I actually wouldn't mind seeing a certain young man that sits beside Coach Mike Anderson apply for the UALR job.  I'm sure most on here know who I'm talking about.  This would be a great place to start out and I think TJ would be a great success given time.  What do y'all think?
If you are going to go the UCA or UALR route of hiring a former hog to get some interest then at least he is a guy that has some experience as an assistant in a major conference.

GoHogs1091

UALR's best option would be to hire Jeremy Cox.  Cox has already head coached in the University of Arkansas system, and he won a National Championship while head coaching in the UofA system.  He has also been an Assistant Coach in the SEC (Kentucky), Big East (USF), Big 10 (Nebraska), and Big 12 (Texas A&M and Texas Tech).

Cox's head coaching record is the following.

North Dakota State College of Science    1 year    19-9    67.8 winning percentage   NJCAA Region XIII Championship   1998 NJCAA Region XIII Coach of the Year

Garden City College (Kan.)    4 years    93-36   72.1 winning percentage

University of Arkansas-Fort Smith   3 years    85-15    85.0 winning percentage   2006 National Junior College Championship    2006 NJCAA National Coach of the Year

College of Southern Idaho   1 year    27-5    84.3 winning percentage    Runner-up in Region 18 Tournament    Region 18 Coach of the Year

Total   9 years   224 wins  65 losses    77.5 winning percentage

www.southernmiss.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/jeremy_cox_899672.html

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 19, 2015, 11:20:22 am
UALR's best option would be to hire Jeremy Cox.  Cox has already head coached in the University of Arkansas system, and he won a National Championship while head coaching in the UofA system.  He has also been an Assistant Coach in the SEC (Kentucky), Big East (USF), Big 10 (Nebraska), and Big 12 (Texas A&M and Texas Tech).

North Dakota State College of Science    1 year    19-9    67.8 winning percentage   NJCAA Region XIII Championship   1998 NJCAA Region XIII Coach of the Year

University of Arkansas-Fort Smith   3 years    85-15    85.0 winning percentage   2006 National Junior College Championship    2006 NJCAA National Coach of the Year

College of Southern Idaho   1 year    27-5    84.3 winning percentage    Runner-up in Region 18 Tournament    Region 18 Coach of the Year

Solid resume. Would be a good hire.

Rawker

Quote from: Karma on March 19, 2015, 11:25:03 am

Cox must lack what the French call a certain....I don't know what.  Because his record is stellar for a guy that hasn't seemed to get a shot at a more publicized gig.

ricepig

Quote from: Rawker on March 19, 2015, 11:36:38 am
Cox must lack what the French call a certain....I don't know what.  Because his record is stellar for a guy that hasn't seemed to get a shot at a more publicized gig.

Jenna said what?

Kicking Wing

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 19, 2015, 11:20:22 am

He was my top choice when we hired Brady.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Rawker on March 19, 2015, 11:36:38 am

He will get a shot soon.  Schools are going to like the following about Cox.

24 total years of coaching experience

12 total years of Division 1 Assistant Coaching experience in major Conferences (SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and Big East)

Has coached 10 players who have gone to the NBA (which shows he can develop players)

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 18, 2015, 04:38:55 pm
Follow the Wimp Sanderson Model they previously used and hire Rick Stansbury.

Going to Bama. Mark it down.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Karma on March 19, 2015, 11:25:03 am

You are very much correct.  Over his 9 years of head coaching, Cox has averaged 24.8 wins per season.

If UALR hired him, that would give UALR quite the basketball head coaching duo (along with Joe Foley, their Women's Basketball Head Coach).

Shoat

Quote from: regi on March 18, 2015, 06:18:26 pm
Help me out here (I live out of State) with the AAU success in Arkansas, why does UALR npt sign more Arkansas kids? Maybe they do, but to my knowledge, they don't.

I agree.  AR AAU has been pretty dominate but UALR seldom gets any of these guys and they end up at SW Mizzou, Tenn-Martin, etc.  I'd take them over some nobody from Texas, Louisiana, or Mississippi.