Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kerry Owens former Hog LB has passed away

Started by DeltaBoy, August 21, 2017, 09:40:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

Got word yesterday  that Kerry Owens who played under Ken Hatfield has passed away
He played his HS ball at Clarendon  and moved to Stuttgart for his Sr  year.
He was a great guy who sold me my first life insurance policy. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

From a local reporter via Facebook.
I am saddened to hear the news that former Razorback football standout Kerry Owens has passed away. Kerry was one of the first players that I got to write about while I was a student sports writer at the university. A linebacker from Stuttgart, Kerry was drafted in the 4th round of the 1989 NFL Draft by the Cincinnati Bengals and was always a first-class individual, on and off the field ... RIP #54.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hawginbigd1

My condolences to the Owens family, he was a good Hog!

Vantage 8 dude

Well at least there's another fellow Razorback to join Coach Broyles and the rest in calling those Hogs near the pearly gates. All my prayers for Kerry and the entire Owens family. RIP big guy.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

hawgmasta

hamsam

He was the reason I switched to #54 in HS football. My all time favorite Hogs linebacker along with Bubba Barrow. Sad to hear. Seems too young. How/why did he pass?
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

WilsonHog

Sad news. Gone too soon. I remember his Razorback days well, but I first watched him play at Rivercrest in the fall of 1983 as a linebacker for the Stuttgart Ricebirds. He, along with future Razorbacks Odis Lloyd and Reggie Hall, played linebacker for the Ricebirds. Rivercrest had Richard Brothers and Cortez Kennedy.

We beat the Ricebirds that night, I believe by a score of 14-13. Best high school football game I have ever seen.

RIP.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hamsam on August 21, 2017, 09:10:52 pm
He was the reason I switched to #54 in HS football. My all time favorite Hogs linebacker along with Bubba Barrow. Sad to hear. Seems too young. How/why did he pass?

I have not heard a cause of death.  He was always the life of the party.

DeltaBoy

PossumFan

RIP, Kerry. I lived in Stuttgart when he, Odis and Reggie played for the Ricebirds. Good kids, and a heck of a team.

21chill

There was a pretty good QB on that team as well

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PossumFan on August 22, 2017, 12:57:21 pm
RIP, Kerry. I lived in Stuttgart when he, Odis and Reggie played for the Ricebirds. Good kids, and a heck of a team.

That 1983 Ricebird team was loaded with D -1 talent. 

DeltaBoy